AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-11-08, 22:12   Link #1801
The One Above God
Kamijou

I think one of the reasons Korra sucked the fight is because she is used to the pro-bending techniques which is, obviously, a sport. She's used to using small attacks that focuses on pushing the enemy away from the ring, instead of much faster, more lethal, or bigger attacks.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 22:16   Link #1802
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Above God View Post
I think one of the reasons Korra sucked the fight is because she is used to the pro-bending techniques which is, obviously, a sport. She's used to using small attacks that focuses on pushing the enemy away from the ring, instead of much faster, more lethal, or bigger attacks.
I thought Korra already mastered all the bending techniques aside from air before she ever got into the sport.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 01:38   Link #1803
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
I don't think kid versions of Aang, Katara or Toph can handle Kuvira, nor Unalaq, nor Zaheer, nor Amon. You're overestimating their abilities. All Kuvira needs is to bind Aang's and Katara's hands, and unlike Korra, they won't even be able to metalbend those to release themselves. The fight will be done right there.
That's the same risk one faces fighting any earthbender (being immobilized). I don't think that's some kind of trump card for Kuvira.

Amon was incredibly powerful, so you're right, they couldn't defeat him. I do think Aang could defeat him as a kid because adult Aang vs Yakone seemed to prove the Avatar state is immune to bloodbending but whatever.

Unalaq seemed to be one step below Ozai in terms of power. He was a waterbending genius. So yeah, I agree he would be difficult for the kids to beat too. Note that once he became powered up as the anti Avatar he more or less was unbeatable. It was only a strange unexplained deus ex machina that saved the day. I think Unalaq even without his anti avatar powers could still 1v1 Korra as was shown in season 2. Aang's finale Avatar state could beat him though, so logically Korra should be able to as well.. yet Korra has never tapped into such a powerful avatar state probably mostly for plot convenience reasons.

Zaheer while impressive and especially dangerous with flight in his arsenal was not out of the realm of being defeated by the kids. Tenzin had him on the ropes pretty handily (even though I still feel like Tenzin should have defeated him outright...). Zaheer mainly benefited from having a super cohesive group that included a powerful lavabender and combustion bender.

We don't know the true extent of Kuvira's powers, but this fight left me unimpressed. Sure she has fancy footwork, but Korra was fighting horribly, and she immediately crumbled once Korra went Avatar state. As powerful as the Avatar state is, all Korra did was launch a powerful wind torrent at her. That's enough to send her flying? If so, kid Toph, Aang, and Katara could definitely take her down.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 02:17   Link #1804
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I thought Korra already mastered all the bending techniques aside from air before she ever got into the sport.
If you look at her style it's usually projectile kicks and punches. Crude offense. She doesn't swiftly moves between offense and defense like a water bender does, she doesn't swiftly evade like an air bender, she doesn't wait for an opportunity to attack like an earth bender and her attack pattern isn't thought out like a fire bender's. Heck, Kuvira has been toying with her. Kuvira didn't initiate unless it was to corner her. All those counters and Korra didn't change tactics. She likes to rush and overwhelm her opponents, but she often lacks decisive strength to make such an all out offense way of battling efficient. There wasn't much difference between Toph vs Korra and Kuvira vs Korra.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 03:00   Link #1805
The One Above God
Kamijou

Toph will save their asses...believe it!

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 04:51   Link #1806
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The last five minutes of the ep was easily the funniest stretch in Korra's entire run. Meelo's painting (I was put in mind of Joffrey, actually), the entire Varick-Bolin sequence, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE ALL THIS MEELO!", and then "You're crushing my individuality!"

Pairing off Bolin and Varick like this was pure genius, because they've been the two funniest characters from day one, and both of them are genuinely interesting characters too. And Meelo has stepped up as a great comic character this season, too. So it's really no coincidence that when the three of them were in the spotlight the humor was off the charts.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 11:20   Link #1807
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
If you look at her style it's usually projectile kicks and punches. Crude offense. She doesn't swiftly moves between offense and defense like a water bender does, she doesn't swiftly evade like an air bender, she doesn't wait for an opportunity to attack like an earth bender and her attack pattern isn't thought out like a fire bender's. Heck, Kuvira has been toying with her. Kuvira didn't initiate unless it was to corner her. All those counters and Korra didn't change tactics. She likes to rush and overwhelm her opponents, but she often lacks decisive strength to make such an all out offense way of battling efficient. There wasn't much difference between Toph vs Korra and Kuvira vs Korra.
Which is fine, but I don't think it's right to blame her battle performance on the sport. She has been bending for years and she wasn't in the sport for long.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 11:35   Link #1808
DMurphy

I think it's less a 'she's bending like a pro-bender' situation and more a 'she's not fought properly for three years (even when she was fighting, after all, like in the fight club, she was impaired by the metal poison) and her skills are massively rusty' situation.

If she's bending like anything, she's bending like the pre-Wan Firebenders we saw in Beginnings. She has the elements, but she's pretty much just throwing them at Kuvira, not bending them.

So, you know. She needs some training to dust off her skills. Maybe we'll get a training montage with Tenzin, Mako and Bolin giving her some help dusting off her Airbending, Firebending and Earthbending.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 11:52   Link #1809
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
So, you know. She needs some training to dust off her skills. Maybe we'll get a training montage with Tenzin, Mako and Bolin giving her some help dusting off her Airbending, Firebending and Earthbending.
I think she needs Tenzin, Tolph, Zuko, and Katara to train her, get the ol'gang back together to kick some tail
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 12:37   Link #1810
HandofFate

Even before her injury at the end of last season, she still sucked at direct combat, most of the time she was embarrassed by no-name thugs.
All she does is punch fire/earth/wind.
Even in the avatar state, all she does is punch more wind. whatever.
Old 2014-11-09, 13:03   Link #1811
NattyJedi
Young Flotaku

Yeah she definitely need more training. It'd be awesome of her to put focus into secondary bending skills like lightening which may come in handy during this season.
NattyJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 13:08   Link #1812
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Uhh, what? Are you serious?

Okay, let's go back to Book 1. Korra didn't lose any battle outside of being blood bent by Tarlock and Amon, which everyone would lose and another fight, against the Chi-Blockers, who she had not faught in her life. Bloodbending is something no one can simply defeat with ease. Katara was pathetic with her first fight against a chi-blocker as well.

Book 2, her first defeat is against a Spirit in the 5th episode. Once again, being taken by something she has no experience of fighting. Her second defeat is with Unalaq in the Spirit world, where she didn't have any bending. Her third defeat is against Dark Avatar Unalaq, who cought her off guard with an attack she didn't know he had. (Spitting Vaatu from his mouth)

Book 3, she lost zero fights. She was even fighting chained up against Zaheer and holding her ground. Her Avatar State demonstrated the power equal to Aang's in Book 3 fire, if not stronger, because unlike Aang, Korra only used her own raw power, unlike Aang who had the experience of the previous Avatars to help him. Not to mention how Ozai played with Aang before the magical rock brought the Avatar State back.

Now Book 4, she's getting her ass handed to her. Not because she sucks, not because she's weak, because is wounded. She is morally, physically injured. She is suffering from PTSD and removing the metal didn't fix her up.

And another thing I take issue on, just using projectiles is simply not true. Korra is able to evade and dodge well enough. For reference, watch when she fights against waterbenders without resorting to her bending. Her acrobatic skills are better than anyone we have seen.

I'd post more gifs if I had more time.

The only reason Korra loses her fights pathetically in Book 4 is because of the poison and psychological injury Zaheer gave her. Label me as a Korra fanboy, I don't care, but people give her too much shit even after such a traumatic experience and that upsets me. She hasn't fought for 3 years and has been crippled for almost an year. Think about that.

Last edited by Levani; 2014-11-09 at 13:31.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 22:12   Link #1813
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Which is fine, but I don't think it's right to blame her battle performance on the sport. She has been bending for years and she wasn't in the sport for long.
But I'm not doing. I'm blaming her ways of battling, and use the sport as an example because that's where those attacks are effective. Outside it doesn't. Check Bolin for instance: he does not bend like the way he did when he was doing pro bending. It is because she's the first avatar we've seen getting such extensive training that I'm berating her for her bending and ways of conducting combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I think it's less a 'she's bending like a pro-bender' situation and more a 'she's not fought properly for three years (even when she was fighting, after all, like in the fight club, she was impaired by the metal poison) and her skills are massively rusty' situation.

If she's bending like anything, she's bending like the pre-Wan Firebenders we saw in Beginnings. She has the elements, but she's pretty much just throwing them at Kuvira, not bending them.

What I was saying was more on how she fights overall. She was doomed to lose a fight she wasn't ready to fight, but it served as an example of how she usually handles things.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 04:16   Link #1814
Ulic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
And another thing I take issue on, just using projectiles is simply not true. Korra is able to evade and dodge well enough. For reference, watch when she fights against waterbenders without resorting to her bending. Her acrobatic skills are better than anyone we have seen.
I think the issue people have with Korra's bending is that it's all offense, hence her use of strictly projectiles. It's about her bending, not the way she moves. She throws rocks rather than bend the ground beneath others the way Toph and Kuvira do. She just shoots fire instead of redirecting it the way Wan did in the flashback (and how Roku did in season 1 of TLA). She shoots blasts of air instead of creating whirlwinds and tornadoes like Jinora and now Opal do. She throws streams of water more often than not as well, whereas we saw Katara do much more creative things with water like whirlpools, and Ming Hua Ming Hua-ing with water arms. It's not just about her evasiveness in combat, but how she uses the elements.
Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 12:37   Link #1815
Psyco Diver

I get the feeling this week were going to see a 80s style training montage where learns how to fight again
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 04:55   Link #1816
CatRules
Shipper

The end of Ep.7

They've messed with wrong vines!
Old 2014-11-14, 06:21   Link #1817
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Chemistry between team Avatar has never been better. Can't wait for more.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 10:31   Link #1818
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

LOL Question if I may? What was the point in introducing Prince Wu if they were going to ditch him when things are just getting started.

I can't take him seriously as a king if he gets absolute no character development. Screw that, let's just make Bolin the ruler of the Earth Kingdom for the time being, he's so flippin powerful if any one tried to attack his people he'd slay them all without killing. I swear, guy's gotta be in the big leagues now even surpassing Mako at the moment.
He just doesn't want to kill any one which is why he doesn't explode and destroy things left and right like some of you are asking him to do. He's also getting more competent as the series progresses, I was pretty Proud of him this episode

Varrick seems to be slowly turning into Iron man these days, he tied with Bolin as my favorite. There dynamic is seriously one of the best aspects of the season

Now onto Korra's plot, Prince Wu was annoying as freak. What were Raikou and Tenzin thinking? Ok, let's let some annoying punk come in as placement, every one will be all for right? Why didn't Tenzin freakin say a any thing to him about this stupid idea of his? Speaking of Tenzin, guess it's been his thing now to make Korra depressed when she returns? Didn't expect her to win? I'm sorry, does that sound like some thing Korra wants to hear right now

Don't know what that fight between Korra and Asami was about? Felt like it was just added in for tension, why is Mako staying with Asami? I heard right, right? If Korra and Mako get back together going to need a little more than what we got now to convince of this pairing, I hope Asami's grown as a character some what so she doesn't go cheating with him under Korra's nose this time

Seriously, why are they staying together at the same place? Mako's got a good job right? What's wrong, too much of a penny pincher to buy or rent a place of his own?

Any ways, good episode. Mostly liked Bolin/Varrick's plots, I think they are brining out the best in one another

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 11:14   Link #1819
DMurphy

I really liked this episode.

Except Mako. Why is he even there. What purpose does he serve except to be a failure.

Korra was great, though, and so was Asami. Wu was fun. Bolin was super great, and I finished the episode thinking 'Huh. Maybe Bolin should rule the Earth Kingdom.' After all, this episode showed that he can be tough when he needs to be, that he's concerned with people's wellbeing, that he knows how to be diplomatic, he's able to use other people's skills, and he can wreck things with lava.

That last being the most important aspect of leadership. It is much due to her own well developed lavabending abilities that Queen Elizabeth II has remained in power so many decades.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 11:45   Link #1820
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
LOL Question if I may? What was the point in introducing Prince Wu if they were going to ditch him when things are just getting started.
We don't know that. With Bolin heading to Republic City, the story most likely isn't moving from there soon. Plenty of time for Wu to keep being part of the picture.

Quote:
Now onto Korra's plot, Prince Wu was annoying as freak. What were Raikou and Tenzin thinking? Ok, let's let some annoying punk come in as placement, every one will be all for right? Why didn't Tenzin freakin say a any thing to him about this stupid idea of his?
The idea was to let him live life in luxury while his carefully selected ministers na advisers do all the actual work. Wu is basically harmless. He doesn't seem to have much interest in actually ruling the kingdom so much that he just wants to be lavished with affection. As long as he does that, he won't really interfere with what's going on and the ministers will keep everything running smoothly. Its kind of like what we had with the Earth King and the Dai Li in Last airbender, only Tenzin and the other leaders would do a better job at picking the power behind the throne.

Tenzin and the other leaders wanted a smooth transition of power. Best way to do that is to find a leader that everyone will accept, and one prime candidate is a legitimate heir to the throne. Prince Wu would be accepted by the most powerful of the earth kingdom's leadership and While the Earth Queen was not a good ruler, there were still citizens loyal to the royal line... The only other known alternative was Suyin, but she felt it would be wrong for her to step up and be the one ot bring the kingdom back together.

Quote:
Seriously, why are they staying together at the same place? Mako's got a good job right? What's wrong, too much of a penny pincher to buy or rent a place of his own?
Asami is rich and has a mansion and is rich. Why WOULDN'T she let her friends live at her place? Not to mention that is where Mako's extended family is now living. Mako might have a job but he can't support his whole family, and if his family is gonna live at Asami's place then why shouldn't he be living with them.

But no it don't think Mako actually lives there. His Grandma was surprised to see him which implies that he only visits them from time to time instead of living there.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra