AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-13, 12:07   Link #1821
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
so what is the track that plays during Garter's running through the timelines ? ep11
I have no clue.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 13:45   Link #1822
strawberrypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
Say, can anybody tell me what this is? I ran it through google translate and didn'r get anything. Is it a pin?
http://www2.gainax.co.jp/shop/index....1%E04=2%A1%DE0
It's a badge. I just found them for preorder. The Demon Sisters have their own too.
strawberrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 08:18   Link #1823
Homura7

Second season scheduled for autumn 2011.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 08:28   Link #1824
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

>Second season scheduled for autumn 2011.
What is this ? Source please o.o;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 08:29   Link #1825
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Usually you post a source stating that this is true or not.
Old 2011-01-16, 19:25   Link #1826
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Still waiting on that confirmation source.

Also, new official art from Gainax.

Spoiler for spoiler:

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 21:32   Link #1827
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt Anime Coming To Adult Swim?

Real or a joke?
Old 2011-01-21, 23:00   Link #1828
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Adult Swim can safely air Panty and Stocking in late night showing times, because it has no excessive sex urging scenes anyway, its more of dirty jokes only

so i say this is real
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 04:43   Link #1829
solomon

Aiiieeee soundtrack is like sex with pancakes in rio!!!!!!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 11:28   Link #1830
skeptism
Wanderer

Bah I hope they do a second season! I really want to see Brief as a temp. angel xD
skeptism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 04:23   Link #1831
YaminoSeigi

Compiled pixiv collection for PSG, expect it to be heavy considering this series is pretty popular in pixiv.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZEWY61H0

Plenty of Panty x Brief pics which are good for the shippers
Old 2011-02-09, 17:18   Link #1832
Ballad
robots & skateboards

wat
Old 2011-02-09, 22:22   Link #1833
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballad View Post

wat
demon sisters get their own spinoff series on the works i'm guessing?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 00:15   Link #1834
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballad View Post

wat
wo hope that this will be animated

but base on Sales Report this anime is a letdown so i got high doubts they will make more anime of this
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 12:20   Link #1835
TeaAnyOne
Dazzling the Stage!

Send a message via MSN to TeaAnyOne
panty and stocking nendoroids are ready to pre order:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods...Y=NEOGDS-37498

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods...Y=NEOGDS-37499

I was only able to afford panty atm , hopefully i will able to get stocking later
TeaAnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 12:29   Link #1836
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Panty-Stocking cafe:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 09:10   Link #1837
DDshoeshowz

Send a message via AIM to DDshoeshowz
(This is taken from my intro post but I feel that it is a good indicator of how I feel about this show.)

Hey everyone! I have to say, I am really glad I found this place. First a few things about me:

I've never been a huge anime fan, never. I really enjoyed it before don't get me wrong. I truly see it as another artistic medium and I've always appreciated it from that angle. You see, I've always been quite into art - even looking into art school and enrolling under "Illustration" (for a semester before I found that anthropology was really my calling).

Anyway, the point of this all is I've always been outside of the more "fannish" qualities of the anime fandom but I've definitely known about it. I didn't really find anime anymore interesting than the other artistic outlets I've enjoyed (graphic novels, traditional novels, etc.) until recently. And you know why? This:

YES!

Now I understand, now I truly understand just how people can be so...inspired! This show, while not outwardly so, is one of the best things I have ever watched. It knows exactly what it is, who's it's audience, and what it's going for.

Anyway, what does this have to do all with this forum? Well, I've done some research and I've found that this is one of the best, most welcoming places to share my new-found love. So, thank you guys and I look forward to getting to know you all!

DDshoeshowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 18:58   Link #1838
DDshoeshowz

Aww, I'm so sad this forum is dead. V_V
Old 2011-03-01, 20:11   Link #1839
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Huge text of random stream of thought follows. Consider yourselves warned you lazy bastards!

When I first gazed at the entry picture and read the name, I though it would be just another ecchi comedy with minimal animation and crappy storytelling. When I eventually sat down to watch it out of curiosity I realized I was wrong… But not in the sense that it turned out to be the exact opposite of what I originally thought; it really “IS” an ecchi comedy with minimal animation and crappy storytelling. The thing which makes all the difference is that… it is different.

What I mean is that a good show, being comedy or action, is supposed to surprise or excite the viewer. If you can tell what the joke will be or how the battle will end minutes before they actually occur, then you have yourself a mediocre series. The jokes and the outcomes are not supposed to be predictable if you are to be highly entertained and this is what makes this show a class above the average tale out there. It is unpredictable! Really, you just don’t know what will happen next, or even if it will be funny or tragic.

What I’m trying to say is that this show does not follow a formula, as most shows do. You know what I mean, you see the pilot episode of an average shounen adventure and you can pretty much foresee how it will play out in the next 500 episodes or even how it will end (and don’t tell me this is not the case with Naruto or One Piece ). The premise is clear, the outcome is obvious, you are just hoping to enjoy the in-between. As entertaining as that may be for some time, it ends up being dull after awhile and the thrilling finale may just find you saying “Ok, it ended as I expected; where is my pop-corn?” That effectively kills half the enjoyment you would otherwise get if you weren’t aware of how the story will unravel.

So this is why I liked this show; I couldn’t tell the outcome or predict the jokes. And if you add to this fact how the industry these days plays it safe and rarely tries to take risks, then you end up liking it more. Where others go for safe formulas by chewing the same established stereotypes and successful tropes, P&S pretty much said “Screw it, let’s just have fun.” And this is what most series of today lack you know; the feeling that you watch something its creators made with love and not with anxiety if it sells or if it ain’t goddamn moe enough to draw in the mindless consumers.

Before I move on, I must make clear that I don’t consider this show to be original or groundbreaking. It also is heavy on sexy/moe stereotypes aiming to draw in the masses, but it is also not DAMN afraid to be as extreme as it wants to be. Here is a basic example from the show: Do you know all those endless carbon-copied harem and ecchi comedies where the same shit happen in all of them, in almost the exact way, around the exact same people? Isn’t it frustrating that they always “hold-back” on the juicy parts? I mean, some dork gets to score with chicks and the chicks may want it too but something really lame always happens every time to stop it. Why? Because that is the limit. It can’t go beyond that and just offer what it is supposed to be about: SEX! The most distinctive example in recent memory would be the anime B Gata H Kei (which I reviewed as well in case you want to torture yourselves with further reading). Its selling point was to show a girl having sex in a thousand depraved ways with a thousand random dudes. Yet all it was showing were lame sex jokes and the girl chickening out or random people stopping them just because the show wasn’t willing to go beyond a certain point.

So P&S comes along and WHAM performs a Limit-break on this junk. The main heroine is not afraid to have sex with random people she just met. Sounds too simple and may not even be surprising to see such a character in real life. But in a non-hentai anime??? INCONCEIVABLE!!! It was so simple yet it was never shown (implied at best), not even in the boldest erotic shows. Because they were all chickening-out! But not THIS show. It is not afraid to show ridiculous amounts of shit, puke, semen, nudity, splattered guts, profanity and anything else all other comedies just fool around with sparks of it. It is NOT original but then again NOBODY had the guts to show it in such a degree before.

What is even funnier is that everything is shown with such minimalistic animation that manages to not be gross to the point of hating it; you might as well just find it disgustingly humorous. And speaking of the animation, it is another thing to take notice of; it again makes the show look special. In an earlier review I wrote how the American version of the Powerpuff Girls looked a lot more special than its run-of-the-mill appearance of the Japanese version (reviewed that as well; go for it you bookworms). This is a similar case with P&S, where the minimalistic western look of animation makes a huge contrast amongst other anime and thus it becomes memorable. Not only that, but the characters seem to move and act a lot more lively despite being a lot easier to draw them and animate them than an average looking anime character. Which is again a major thing most modern anime have forgotten. You don’t need to look slick and complicating in order to be likable; you just need to have the vibe and the emotion present. Many famous retro series of the 80’s have that which makes them more interesting than most other high budget cartoons of the same era. Most modern anime try too much to play it safe and end up copying one another to the point you don’t care anymore about any of them. But P&S with its vivid motions, explicit context and special animations just stands out like a singing nun in a goth brothel.

It wouldn’t be that much interesting if it was JUST the animation that stands out. The soundtrack is actually equally good on its own, full of beaty songs which are great enough to buy the CD. Really, for someone like me who doesn’t even fancy such a type of music, I ended up listening to them again and again because of the vividness of the show in general. Fly away, Chocolat, Anarchy, Fallen Angel; I find them all addictively likable and (unlike most anime OSTs) extremely memorable.

Now as far as the characters and the story go, I must again make clear that they are NOT original or special. The cast is quite stereotypical and the story hardly exists or matters. But again, both are so unpredictable and extreme that they end up being memorable or even likable if you like this sort of humor. Heck, each story lasts around 15 minutes so you don’t even have the time to be bored. I sure prefer this form to that of silly shows like Gintama, where they literally tell you when it is ok to laugh by making a reference to another show and YELLING THEY JUST MADE A REFERENCE!!!

I must also point out that it’s not as if the show is without any direction at all. Although the jokes and the stories appear to be random, down to it they all have to do with moral liberty from social norms. And yes, it may seem like I am overanalyzing something heavy around an otherwise silly ecchi comedy but it is true. All the themes revolve around guilt, lust, punishment, retribution, and catharsis, things religion and moral laws strive to uphold. It is all played for laughs but it is nice to see how the show itself is making fun of limits and constraints by having the exact elements as its mockery target… And if I am to overanalyze it even further, I say GAINAX, the production company of the show, is famous for doing this shit. Heck, it revolutionized the anime industry back in 1995 by making Neon Genesis, a show which again played around stereotypes in a way to ridicule and reconstruct the mecha genre and even indirectly criticize escapism.

For the third time I make it clear that P&S is no Neon Genesis and it doesn’t revolutionize anything. It just came out to remind the industry NOT TO CHICKEN OUT as it has been doing for the past 5 years. Hopefully the upcoming Youth Ordinance Bill will put a stop to the overdone moe and ecchi shows and finally force the companies to turn to something else, preferably artistic and stylized just like P&S. They will of course not be allowed to air on tv such ridiculous amounts of … EVERYTHING but it is still a nice example of a show which at the end of an era reminds us all NOT TO SETTLE FOR MEDIOCRITY when we can always strive for something different. The sky is the limit… and even that can be pierced by Guren Lagann.

And now for some excused scores…

ART SECTION: 10/10
General Artwork 2/2 (looks special)
Character Figures 2/2 (perky and sexy)
Backgrounds 2/2 (lots of sex innuendos)
Animation 2/2 (minimal but highly artistic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (you actually read the sounds)

SOUND SECTION: 10/10
Voice Acting 3/3 (bonus for profanity)
Music Themes 4/4 (go buy the OST)
Sound Effects 3/3 (cartoony and as I said, you also read them)

STORY SECTION: 7/10
General Scenario 2/2 (Bitch angel in a deprived city sounds uncommon to me)
Pacing 2/2 (mostly fooling around but doesn’t let you be fed up with the dead time)
Side Stories/Extra Spices 1/2 (present but rushed and superficial)
Believability/Reasoning/Realism 1/2 (the action makes little sense but its themes are constant)
Conclusion 1/2 (a cliffhanger, believe it or not)

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 2/2 (Attractivene and cute)
Personality 2/2 (A bitch, a hard to get goth, a gay afro priest, a Kenny dog; sounds interesting to me)
Backdrop 0/2 (um… what?)
Development 0/2 (who?)
Catharsis 0/2 (where?)

VALUE SECTION: 8/10
Historical Value 2/3 (very special amongst other anime of its time but not all time classic)
Rewatchability 2/3 (works only the first time but still gets kicks when you show it to others)
Memorability 4/4 (extreme enough not to be forgotten)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 9/10
Some parts were not that funny for me, others were plain gross, but otherwise very enjoyable. You of course need to tolerate the type of humor it implements or it will not work at all. HATERS GONNA HATE!

VERDICT: 8/10
The epitome of guilty pleasure.

… There; done. Now go read my other 999 reviews.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...ews&uid=251338

Last edited by roriconfan; 2011-03-02 at 04:51.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-01, 23:13   Link #1840
DDshoeshowz

^I'm going to make a more coherent and well, meaningful post to your input roricon but that is neither here nor now (mainly due to the fact that I've been studying chemistry the past few hours and have very few cognitive faculties left). I would like to say, however, that you're scoring values are quite different from the normal "3, 5, or 10" values that are standard. I like it though, really makes you think.

But what I really want to say is, OMG THANK YOU THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL!

Tags
comedy, gainax, seinen