Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-27, 17:09   Link #1921
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Well, yeah After that kind of ending, people would be rushing to find the continuation.
That ending yo. Do want to see more!
Old 2014-03-27, 20:17   Link #1922
BW95
Banned

So, if this does get a second season, which judging by sales isn't too unlikely, is it possible for it to be given to another studio?
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 20:34   Link #1923
Iron Maw
Banned

Yes, especially because it will take some time before there is enough material to adapt another 2 cour season again.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 21:15   Link #1924
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Thoughts on finale.

Finally got to see the finale. My internet was being a bitch & I wasn't able to see it.

What can I say? I know, lets start with Hishamaru's first meeting Yakou. That was a nice scene, it really paved the way for their relationship up to this point. Couldn't really feel any attachment to the scene because it was so short though.

We have Suzuka displaying her affection for HaruYakou in her own way by saying that she'd die to being him back if he died bringing back Natsume. Her character has really come a long way since her initial introduction. I'm proud of her.

Touji being a bro as always & getting to give a "cool" speech before HaruYakou departed in a shonen-type fashion. (Falling from the sky...lol)

Kagami still obsessing over Ohtomo kicking his ass & trying to capture HaruYakou as insurance. Little did he know that he'd be witness to Hishamaru's awakening. Albeit, at the cost of Haru's left eye.

Well, cat's out of the bag. The long awaited answer that a lot of you wanted has been given. Kon = Hishamaru & I've gotta say, reading about the reveal & actually seeing it unfold, really creates an excitement that I just can't explain in one sentence or two. Did you all see that arrow? I was like, "Damnnnn!"

Kagami also showcased why he's a divine general in this matchup. Showing that he can beef on par with the legendary familiar of Yakou, who is so powerful that she gained military rank during WWII. He put up a reasonable effort. Which makes me wonder, just how powerful is Ohtomo? He beat Kagami like it was child's play.

All this happens while HaruYakou lies unconscious on the road & Shaver takes advantage of the chaos to try & kill him. Only to be stopped by Kakugyouki, who might I add, busted onto the scene like a badass. Kakugyouki also demonstrating why he's a legendary & powerful familiar. Dude caught the blade with his bare hand...lol

After a small display of their power, we have Jin & Kogure getting ready to square off seriously, only to be interrupted by Doman carrying an injured Amami. After an off screen conversation, Kogure then lets Jin go, saying it's out of respect for Amami, but imparts that he'll hunt him down if given the order...

We also have a small confrontation between Takiko & HaruYakou. Long story short, she apologizes & returns Natsume's body to him. This is followed by scenes depicting the aftermath of the attack on the Omnyo HQ & everyone's status.

Then we have Ohtomo & Doman driving off to their next destination. While having a small conversation , Ohtomo asks Doman to be his familiar, to which Doman accepts. That's a powerhouse team right there prople. Shits real wherever they show up...lol

Tenma getting the phone call from Suzu saying that everything was "kind of" okay & not to worry about Harutora. Touji, Tenma, Suzuka & Kyouko getting to heat him laugh one last time for awhile & deciding what needs to be done for their common goal.

& yes, for those who've been specifically asking about the "kind of" regarding Natsume's revival. She's not exactly alive & she's not exactly dead. She's caught between both worlds.

Dat kiss though. Truly done right IMO. Don't see much kisses with so much feels created & scenes so tender/pure these days. It really was a picture perfect kiss. Followed by HaruYakou & Co. marching onwards to their next destination.

Definitely not like your usual finale. There was no conclusion or satisfying stop point. This one ended in such a way, that it said, "wait for me, I'll be back because I'm far from finished." That's the feeling you get from the ending. Still, it'll be quite some time before we can even expect a sequel. Anime ended at vol 9 & Ln is up to vol 10. Its gonna be about 3 years before we get a sequel of any sort.

It was quite the ride & was one of my fave of the season. (Fall 13 & Winter 14) I'll be eagerly awaiting the sequel since the ending heavily implied that they aren't stopping here. Question is when I'll get that sequel though? Well, if I could wait four years for Durarara!! Then I can do it for Ravens too...lol

I already miss this series. T_T
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 21:23   Link #1925
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
"wait for me, I'll be back because I'm far from finished."
"Wait for me, I will or will not be back after 3-4 more years after I've collected myself."

Quote:
Dat kiss though. Truly done right IMO.
Yes, I was so, so happy about that.

Just love this series. Reminds me so much of Shakugan no Shana in ways here and there.
Old 2014-03-27, 21:52   Link #1926
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

I can't fathom why all the girls go for Bakatora when there's Touji.... such a bro. Also can't understand why Kon/Hishamaru didn't stay on that second form for longer (okay fine, I actually can understand.. but she was cuter : <).

Was a satisfying finale. Harutora finally graduated from being mostly useless, Kon graduated from being totally useless and the Jin/Douman tag team is still going strong.
The kiss scene was surprisingly well done for a shounen series. Too bad that Natsume's still stuck in limbo, but at least that gives Harutora and his two familiars a change to travel around and spread their newfound badassness.

Season 2 would be nice. Seems like the anime ended just as things were about to get good.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 22:40   Link #1927
Iron Maw
Banned

Old 2014-03-27, 23:26   Link #1928
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmsful1 View Post
Is the light novel actually good and explain more than the anime? When is it released? And as I think I heard only one more volume has been released after what the anime finished and I don't really think we would have a second season before 2016 and guys 2 years is normal ... most of the second seasons this year have had their first seasons in 2011 range
I would say future volumes are not what you should be looking for at this point. But the older volumes that anime already covered.
Until the latest 4 chapters, the anime is hardly doing the novels any justice.
Which actually made me feel a bit mad at this point. As clearly the anime production team can do things right, yet they only did it in the very last minute. Why? WHY?
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-28, 09:34   Link #1929
Iron Maw
Banned

Because 9 novels squeezed into 24 episodes with 25 minutes per week= heavy compression.

Vol 9 just happened the most episodes devoted to it with least amount of cut content as we sources readers predicted weeks back before this arc aired, so consequently it end up being one of best arcs. However considering how most adaptations under even better circumstances turn out these days TR as whole could have been end up a lot worse.

That said, when people usually ask me where they could start reading when they want check out the original work, I normally just suggest from beginning to catch up on the stuff missed in the anime due to time constraints.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-03-28 at 11:30.
Old 2014-03-28, 13:32   Link #1930
EroKing

Images
Kon
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2014-03-29, 13:25   Link #1931
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Decent overall, considering the target audience. The first half was way better than the second. In general, they could focus more on the kids, but I forgive them, because Jin vs Douma was an awesome confrontation, not just visually, but also because of what each represented. They could also use either more episodes or cut down some redundant action to build up better the setting and the supporting cast. Also those random (in the anime at least) power ups (e.. Kyouko in the end, Harutora in the beginning of the second half) were really silly.

Anyway, we got some really cool characters like Touji, Suzuka, Jin and Douma, Kon, plus decent main characters, unlike the spineless that can only rely on their friend-zoned harem
Old 2014-03-29, 15:55   Link #1932
ginger02

Finally finished the last 2 episodes.

It was such a nice show, even if I didn't understand all the details, I got most of it and enjoyed the ride. The wikipedia page helps lol.

One thing I didn't get, why does Harutora/Yakou walk off into the sunset all dramatically? And where is Natsume?

I'd like to read the light novels, but I don't know how people who aren't in Japan and know Japanese are able to read them.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 15:58   Link #1933
Ickarium

My impression of why he'd walk into the sunset is he's now a wanted man. Genji still runs the agency and he performed a forbidden ritual. And if he stays, not only will he be arrested, but Genji will likely throw the book at him to try to get him under his control in some way.

As for Natsume, that's spoilers. I will say that I hear in the light novel the main focus shifts from Harutora to Natsume. My guess is she's trying to get stronger and go out and find him with the others, but that is only a guess.
Old 2014-03-29, 16:10   Link #1934
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I'd like to read the light novels, but I don't know how people who aren't in Japan and know Japanese are able to read them.
You can always read the translated ones at BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
My impression of why he'd walk into the sunset is he's now a wanted man. Genji still runs the agency and he performed a forbidden ritual. And if he stays, not only will he be arrested, but Genji will likely throw the book at him to try to get him under his control in some way.
Not only that, but remember Yakou reincarnated himself for a purpose and now with his memories returned, he's left to forfil that objective.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-03-30 at 01:14.
Old 2014-03-29, 22:23   Link #1935
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
Even if you can't get full translations for the Ln volumes on BT, the summaries posted here are pretty detailed/decent in themselves. So it wouldn't be a waste to check out the Tokyo Ravens Ln thread here on this site.

Also, the guys on there are friendly & willing enough to answer any questions you may have.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-03-29, 23:15   Link #1936
HandofFate

Just finished watching episode 12-13 to finish over a week.
Ended up enjoying the series as it went on with more and more badass characters stepping in.

I really enjoyed the first prologue arc with Suzuka, the climax fight was chaotic and intense in a good way.

Then I kind of lost interest after that, since it was just generic magic high school episodes, and the 'arc' fights that are made to set future arcs up were kind of boring to me.

Then just kind of stopped watching around episode 10-13.
Picked it back up, and got annoyed at how dumb Haru was being.

But then Ohtomo-sensei vs D onward, it was very nice action. He's probably my favorite character in this series, Ohtomo so cool, love cool teacher that cares about his student characters. Everytime he was on screen, it ramped everything up.

2nd was Kon. She was so useful throughout the whole series.
Natsume dying was an interesting event, I expected her to be revived, but I accept the intention of the scene.

I really liked the atk on the headquarters with everyone in the series taking part. Also the directing of ep22-23 with tenma showing his worth with a bit of rewinding of the events. Usually I find anime adaptations have trouble transitioning this kind of thing well.

Didn't expect Harutora to now end up going on a pilgrimage alone. I forget who the one-armed ogre is though, and what he has to do with Yakou.
Old 2014-03-29, 23:38   Link #1937
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Didn't expect Harutora to now end up going on a pilgrimage alone. I forget who the one-armed ogre is though, and what he has to do with Yakou.
It was mention back in episode 4 and a few times afterword that Kakugyouki was one of Yakou's two legendary familiars. When the first Yakou Disciple/Devotee attacked Natsume under Douman's instructions, he and his Ogre familiar were under the delusion of being the reincarnated forms of Hishamaru and Kakugyouki. Kakugyouki himself showed up after that incident to chilled about Douman involving him in his and Twin Horn Syndicate's affairs.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-03-30 at 01:17.
Old 2014-03-30, 13:54   Link #1938
Iron Maw
Banned

Something interesting to share.

Some Japanese fans took real life pictures of locations used in TR. Sadly, I don't know the name of these places, but still it shows how much attention to detail the staff payed to thr background.

Here are 2 images just from ep 24 itself:

Where Harutora, Hishamaru and Kakugyouki reunited:
Images

The street when Harutora and Kagami fought:
Images
Old 2014-03-30, 16:47   Link #1939
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Something interesting to share.

Some Japanese fans took real life pictures of locations used in TR. Sadly, I don't know the name of these places, but still it shows how much attention to detail the staff payed to thr background.

Here are 2 images just from ep 24 itself:

Where Harutora, Hishamaru and Kakugyouki reunited:
Images

The street when Harutora and Kagami fought:
Images
Wow, I never would've known that if you hadn't pointed it out. Kudos to the animation staff for the attention they paid to detail. That really deserves a pat on the back. It really shows that the staff did work hard on the anime.

I know the anime did butcher some of TR's volumes, but honestly speaking, this is one of the better Ln to anime adaptations I've seen in awhile. I've seen some horrible adaptations recently. *cough* Kyoukai no Kanata *cough* Still, I'd prefer if Lns got decent adaptations, even if it took 1 vol or 2 for a single cour, like Hataraku for example. Two volumes in one cour, was a pretty satisfying adaptation.
Old 2014-03-30, 21:50   Link #1940
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
Wow, I never would've known that if you hadn't pointed it out. Kudos to the animation staff for the attention they paid to detail. That really deserves a pat on the back. It really shows that the staff did work hard on the anime.
I had some more, but recent computer troubles ended up making me lose them. I really like the one the with that nice looking white building that had appeared end of the episode where Touji and co were.

Quote:
I know the anime did butcher some of TR's volumes, but honestly speaking, this is one of the better Ln to anime adaptations I've seen in awhile. I've seen some horrible adaptations recently. *cough* Kyoukai no Kanata *cough* Still, I'd prefer if Lns got decent adaptations, even if it took 1 vol or 2 for a single cour, like Hataraku for example. Two volumes in one cour, was a pretty satisfying adaptation.
Just as I said before, the anime was a decent adaptation in my book. To 8bit's credit it seems a lot of anime only viewers enjoyed TR immensely despite some of the missing and altered content which is testament how good a job they did. I just would like the show to have been longer so that the small gaps that appeared in the plot which led to some confusion (among other stuff) as result of the compression wouldn't have happened. Still easily one of my top shows these past 2 seasons.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-03-30 at 22:16.

Tags
action, comedy, fantasy, romance, shounen, supernatural anime