AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-30, 22:55   Link #1941
kagato3

Haveing read the first 3 light novels I would say that most of the stuff that was cut were things that over all weren't important to the plot but clearefied character motivation and explained the world a bit more in depth along with a bit more of subtle foreshadowing, but in loseing it the stroy is still understandable and complete.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 23:00   Link #1942
Iron Maw
Banned

Actually the problem starts more from the later novels (vol 6 onward) rather than the earlier ones, but otherwise I agree with your assessment in general.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 11:12   Link #1943
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Just as I said before, the anime was a decent adaptation in my book. To 8bit's credit it seems a lot of anime only viewers enjoyed TR immensely despite some of the missing and altered content which is testament how good a job they did. I just would like the show to have been longer so that the small gaps that appeared in the plot which led to some confusion (among other stuff) as result of the compression wouldn't have happened. Still easily one of my top shows these past 2 seasons.
Agreed. I enjoyed it. It is a decent adaptation, I won't take away from that. Despite working under time constraints, the anime did a pretty amazing job & the confusions created due to cut material are nothing major. You just need to pay closer attention to the episodes & you're more or less filled in or can put two & two together without needing to reference the source.

This is really one of the better anime between last year & now, that much is certain.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 11:58   Link #1944
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Haveing read the first 3 light novels I would say that most of the stuff that was cut were things that over all weren't important to the plot but clearefied character motivation and explained the world a bit more in depth along with a bit more of subtle foreshadowing, but in loseing it the stroy is still understandable and complete.
for example kagami fight when his sword turn rampage been cut
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 16:05   Link #1945
Iron Maw
Banned

Well that aside, time for a little fanart dump.

Images
Natsume
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
Kon/Hishamaru
Images
HarutoraxNatsume
Warning kinda of big.
Images
Suzu

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-03-31 at 16:18. Reason: whoops! forgot to add one more
Old 2014-03-31, 20:38   Link #1946
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm going to miss Kon, she's the best character in the series... I doubt Hishamaru is going to be as entertaining
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 10:05   Link #1947
Iron Maw
Banned

If you are talking about her personality, relax that hasn't changed too much. There is just much more to her now than just being kind of a mascot, which the anime played up a tad too much until the last arc anyway.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-04-01 at 16:56.
Old 2014-04-01, 23:50   Link #1948
fullrefund

I was wondering about something. In World War II japan decided to simplify their magic system to fight the allies(i presume at least) but how were their enemies fighting? Did the west had their own magic users? That would seem quite possible and logical to me.
fullrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 23:53   Link #1949
ginger02

I'm so sad. I came home today and realized that there wasn't a new episode to watch .__.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 04:29   Link #1950
magnuskn

This is definitely one of the best animes I've watched in the last years (since Macross Frontier). I can only hope that we get a second season a few years down the line.
Old 2014-04-02, 08:09   Link #1951
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrefund View Post
I was wondering about something. In World War II japan decided to simplify their magic system to fight the allies(i presume at least) but how were their enemies fighting? Did the west had their own magic users? That would seem quite possible and logical to me.
No reason to think they didn't.

However it's noted in the novel that Japan is only nation so far publicize and directly integrate magic into their culture. This is because of the catastrophe Yakou caused at end of the war that destabilized spirit flow/aura (the term for Leylines here) throughout Tokyo's region. The result of this is frequent occurrences of spiritual disasters (which are like natural disasters only, paranormal), thus it became necessary to increase to amount Onmyouji to deal with it. The military had then distanced itself from magic and left the mess to the Onmyo Beyau who shifted focus from it's original goals of creating Shamans for war and changed it's name to Onmyo Agency to reflect it's new responsibilites. The Agency was given the task of making countermeasures for spiritual disasters and regulating the now widely spread use of modern Onmyoudo. Several changes such development of institutions like the Onmyo Academy and simplification of Yakou's Onmyoudo were made to facilitate and support this new industry.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-04-04 at 09:02.
Old 2014-04-02, 11:37   Link #1952
Zilch_Saber
+ Demonic_Angel +
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I'm so sad. I came home today and realized that there wasn't a new episode to watch .__.
Well, you are not the only one who is suffering from that. But, let's just see and wait for the outcome. Everything is possible. You might didn't notice that a year has pass and they tried to announce a new season ^_^
Old 2014-04-02, 17:27   Link #1953
noctis_lucis

Yes, I feel the same but when I read a little ago that they'll adapt one of my favorites LN (Durarara) after 4 years of the first season it gives hope to me to see a second season of TR in a few years
Old 2014-04-03, 06:33   Link #1954
kenshinstyle

Is Ohtomo the reincarnation of Abe no Seimei himself? How come he is so badass? He even managed to get Doman, who is considered the rival of Abe no Seimei, to be his familiar.

Yakotora got lots of catching up to his sensei.
kenshinstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 06:41   Link #1955
Ickarium

Of course he does - the point is the series handles adults very well in that the kids don't as a rule surpass them right away. Jin, even Kagami are more powerful than any of the kids. I'm pretty sure some of them like Natsume and Kyouko might do so in a few years to a decade or more, in Kagami's case. Jin, it depends on how sneaky they get.

Now that Harutora has Yakou's memories, probably not so much him though, as Yakou had literally decades of experience as well as great potential and strength.

Note that Jin won versus Doman not in raw power but because he /prepared/ lots of backup. Which is in and of itself badass, yes, but he doesn't have the raw power of others. In a straight fight, Doman'd win. Luckily for Jin, he never lets himself get into a straight fight. (Last time he did, he lost a leg. :P)
Old 2014-04-03, 06:51   Link #1956
kenshinstyle

Yes, I know Jin is no match for Doman in a pure contest of power. However, a win is a win. What I like about Jin is that he is not just strong in raw power, but he got the strategic skills to plan and bluff like Kagami said.

Rather than someone like Miyachi who is very strong in raw power, I much prefer someone like Jin. I guess I'm the same as Doman.
Old 2014-04-03, 06:59   Link #1957
Ickarium

Oh, I do too, I'm just a pedant. Comes from being an RPG geek. Plus it helps me think on details. I'm working on a set of RPG rules for Tokyo Ravens in one or two systems, so.
Old 2014-04-03, 07:41   Link #1958
kenshinstyle

I just noticed something, does wearing the traditional clothes boost your powers or something? When Jin fought Doman, he changed for the first time into the onmyouji clothes and Miyachi did the same (though his is more like monk clothes?) when he fought Doman. Funny that both of them changed just to fight Doman. Genji wore it all the goddamn time though. Wonder if he also sleep in it.
Old 2014-04-03, 08:20   Link #1959
Ickarium

Well, at least thematically with the mythology, if the clothes are consecrated and purified, they might do something, yeah.
Old 2014-04-03, 09:02   Link #1960
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinstyle View Post
Is Ohtomo the reincarnation of Abe no Seimei himself? How come he is so badass? He even managed to get Doman, who is considered the rival of Abe no Seimei, to be his familiar.

Yakotora got lots of catching up to his sensei.
Hey we are talking about a guy who fought in one of the most chaotic wars in history, recreated a magic system that is far superior to current one in use (and in a short amount of time too), is capable of not only forcing his own reincarnation, but making reviving the dead almost practical. Ohtomo while certainly strong isn't even the best of the Divine Generals. The two are totally incomparable especially comes to experience. At this point onwards it would Yakoutora teaching him.

However one thing that gives Ohtomo the edge here is him having D as a familiar which puts him top tier among Divine Generals. Who of course better than either Hishamaru or Kakugyouki.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-04-03 at 10:01.

Tags
action, comedy, fantasy, romance, shounen, supernatural anime