AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-03-27, 17:32   Link #201
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
It's not really "bedside" when you're occupying the neighboring sickbed.

And it's not so much "support" when you're undergoing the same therapy.
Perhaps, but it was still stated that Hayate supported Nanoha while they underwent the therapy together, because she had experienced it for most of her life, so she knew how to help Nanoha cope with it.
Old 2013-03-27, 17:36   Link #202
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Shamal was Nanoha's personal nurse by then.... I think Shamal helped Nanoha to recover... (from her Hayate's cosplay assistant fingers XD)
Old 2013-03-27, 17:38   Link #203
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuronaFanboy View Post
Her injury was also stated to be permanent to the extent it was nearly impossible for her to walk again. And yet months later she was back to flying around and shooting lasers.
To be precise, the words used were "might not be." Which is a big barrier, but no impossibility.

Quote:
Oh, and in A's when their Linker Cores got absorbed and the initial guess was that this would usually either be fatal for a mage, or it would forever cripple their magic? Yeah, that totally stuck.
Permanent damage in relation to A's-style absorption was never mentioned. In fact, she's pretty much told "whelp, since you're young this isn't that big a deal."

Quote:
The same thing happened at the end of StrikerS, you know? They said using the Blaster System as much as she did could have crippling effects on her. But days later she was training behind the nurses' backs (and Subaru's the one who caught her, if I remember my manga right).

TL;DR: injuries in Nanoha get shrugged off all the time. If they do it in the third movie it won't be any different from what already exists.
Now that last one, you got me. But that's a far cry from them being shrugged off "all the time." Especially since the post-A's injury in question did take a long period to heal.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 18:29   Link #204
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Shamal was Nanoha's personal nurse by then.... I think Shamal helped Nanoha to recover... (from her Hayate's cosplay assistant fingers XD)
... Between Hayate's groping fingers and possibly trying Shamal's cooking...

Nanoha probably forced herself to recover and went S+ just to get out of that situation.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:02   Link #205
Sunder the Gold

I now wonder about Yuuno's cooking abilities.

(You are now imagining a ferret baking pastries while the Takamachi sleep.)
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:12   Link #206
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
The same thing happened at the end of StrikerS, you know? They said using the Blaster System as much as she did could have crippling effects on her. But days later she was training behind the nurses' backs (and Subaru's the one who caught her, if I remember my manga right).
The Blaster system eats away at Nanoha's life, basically draining life and turning it into magic. And Nanoha DID suffer crippling effects: it was said her magical limit had decreased by 8% or so, with a good chance of it being permanent. It's one of the big reasons she's been reduced to a mostly stay-at-home mom at the start of Vivid. She's been resting her wings ever since the JS incident.

Shrugged off? Hardly.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:18   Link #207
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Perhaps, but it was still stated that Hayate supported Nanoha while they underwent the therapy together, because she had experienced it for most of her life, so she knew how to help Nanoha cope with it.
Which further stands to reason that it probably wont happen, because Hayate is already fully recovered, going by the A's epilogue.
Old 2013-03-27, 19:21   Link #208
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The Blaster system eats away at Nanoha's life, basically draining life and turning it into magic. And Nanoha DID suffer crippling effects: it was said her magical limit had decreased by 8% or so, with a good chance of it being permanent. It's one of the big reasons she's been reduced to a mostly stay-at-home mom at the start of Vivid. She's been resting her wings ever since the JS incident.

Shrugged off? Hardly.
'course, it kinda goes out the window with her throwing a Blaster-1 Starlight Breaker at people in ViVid...
Old 2013-03-27, 19:22   Link #209
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Consiswhatnow?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:23   Link #210
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
'course, it kinda goes out the window with her throwing a Blaster-1 Starlight Breaker at people in ViVid...
Course, Hayate gets a blaster system installed into her in Force.

Old 2013-03-27, 19:31   Link #211
KuronaFanboy
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

Shrugged off? Hardly.
Both ViVid and Force have her using the Blaster System again-- in ViVid she's literally doing it for the purposes of entertainment and sport, and in Force she's using it at full power no problem.

Oh, and in the post-StrikerS manga, she uses the Blaster System in a sparring match with Signum. Sparring matches aren't worth using life-crippling equipment, the TSAB would never allow that.

... therefore, yes, injuries are being shrugged off, or are being retconned out of being that big a deal.

EDIT: cartridges follow the same story. When they were first introduced, they were stated to be a RISK. They are part of the reason Nanoha was crippled between A's and StrikerS (the other being, you know, nasty scythe drones). But by StrikerS they're literally letting rookies use cartridges like they're not dangerous at all, so...
KuronaFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:40   Link #212
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Blaster 1 is the highest setting she can go without harming herself or Raising Heart, I believe; stated in StrikerS. I still believe her doctors would've had conniption fits if they found out, though.

As for the cartridges, yes it was a risk to use them in Intelligent Devices. A risk that was dealt with afterwards thanks to the Wolkenritter, IIRC, and Nanoha and Fate. They managed to deal with the flaws and properly train people for their use.
Old 2013-03-27, 19:45   Link #213
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Actually is odd on that because at first even the Blaster setting one hurts Nanoha but then she uses it to play without troubles so I don't know.
Old 2013-03-27, 19:50   Link #214
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Both ViVid and Force have her using the Blaster System again-- in ViVid she's literally doing it for the purposes of entertainment and sport, and in Force she's using it at full power no problem.

Oh, and in the post-StrikerS manga, she uses the Blaster System in a sparring match with Signum. Sparring matches aren't worth using life-crippling equipment, the TSAB would never allow that.
Remember this...

The Blaster system in StrikerS, when Nanoha was using it, was an experimental prototype that they had yet to iron out all the flaws in it.

Who's to say they didn't fix the problems it had? I mean, Shari and Mary were shown to instantly come up with a solution to Subaru's problem with her Combat Cyborg mode.

They probably just needed hard data to make the Blaster system go from "potentially crippling" to "push it to the limits."

Old 2013-03-27, 19:52   Link #215
Kaijo
Banned

It wasn't just the use of the Blaster system, it was the fact that Nanoha was using it continuously in an AMF environment, straining herself. You'll note one of the things they talk about in StrikerS, is overdoing it when it is not necessary, because of the price your body can pay. Nanoha was most definitely overdoing it then.

Her fight with Signum? She was limited to Blaster 1, the match had a 25 minute time limit, and it takes place quite a ways after StrikerS. The fight against the Cradle on September 19th 0075, and RF6 disbands April 28th 0076. That's at least seven months of recovery. In all likelihood, Nanoha has had at least a full year of recovery, if not more, because the Exhibition match was also a chance for old RF6 people to get back together, so I'd envision a 1 year anniversary thing. That puts the Signum match at 1 or 1.5 years after the Cradle. Plenty of time for recovery.

The Blaster system itself just places additional strain on the body, so there is a BIG difference between the short period that Nanoha used it in the Signum fight (and in Vivid), then the continuous use in the Cradle. In short, easily recoverable in the minor uses years later. It's only when you are using it a LOT in a longer period of time (an hour at least).

You'll also note that Vivid is four years later. She's spent most of the past 4 years resting. I'd fully expect her to be back up to snuff by Vivid, so you can't really use any of that to judge her well-being off StrikerS.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:01   Link #216
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

And yet Hayate uses the Blaster system in Force and she seems to be in pain as well. It was when she create the giant ice cube to stop the Huckebeins.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:05   Link #217
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
And yet Hayate uses the Blaster system in Force and she seems to be in pain as well. It was when she create the giant ice cube to stop the Huckebeins.
Temporary short term use, while placing the user under strain, seems to be relatively okay. At least, it is something easy to recover from. Longer use under intense conditions brings the crippling aftereffects.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:06   Link #218
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
Only when she went Blaster 1. Blaster System seems to amplify magical power, and Hayate has ungodly amounts of mana at her disposal. If all of that gets amplified... yeah, she'd be feeling it.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:09   Link #219
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Yes but that is something is never fully explain. Hey we don't even know what the Blaster system is or where is located. But I guess that might be the case, about Hayate's power. I always saw the system as a booster. It helps you burn your magical power so your body process it faster and better but Quattro said it shorter your life so I really don't buy the "use for fun" they put in the latest seasons without any proper explanation. Just doesn't feel right.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:11   Link #220
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The Blaster System most likely is a magical program, like all spellwork, so it's likely intangible and has no physical form beyond the Device programmed with it--Raising Heart and the Tome of the Night Sky, in this case.