AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2018-01-30, 09:20   Link #41
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I like go better too to be honest. But as much as they're compared there's really no comparison. If anything, I'd say that shogi is a bout battles and go is about wars. With go, you know that you're not going to completely conquer, that it's impossible without severe handicaps or crazy gaps in skill to stop an opponent from possessing some amount of territory. In fact, a lot of the most famous games ended with a very narrow gap in territory. Technically there's a winner, but both have obtained something. On the other hand, in shogi the objective is to annihilate the opponent. The opponent's right to the board depends entirely on the king, and you only win if you can kill that king, capturing the enemy army. I think that's the entire reason why I like go better, as it's a little more realistic and willing to compromise, but it's also why shogi does a little better in fiction, as it's a more intense all-or-nothing battle. That's not to say that go can't work, Hikaru proved otherwise, but still the all-out battle image makes it a little easier to draw people in I imagine.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-31, 00:20   Link #42
Kiyoe
kyo gamers

Volume 8 to be release on March 15, 2018
Kiyoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-04, 01:50   Link #43
AP24

I’ve done some research on shogi rankings and how shogi players become professionals. It’s actually quite complex.

Amateurs and professionals have their own ranking system. Amateurs start from 15th Kyuu to 1st Kyuu and then 1st Dan to 8th Dan, while professionals and apprentice professionals start from 6th Kyuu to 9th Dan. Amateur 4th Dan is typically equivalent to apprentice professional 6th Kyuu level. Promising young amateur players can take the examination to enter the Kenshuukai where members are amateur Dan level players. The Kenshuukai is divided into F2, F1, E2, E1, D2, D1, C2, C1, B2, B1, A2, A1 and S classes. Members get promoted or demoted based on their performance in recorded matches. Members of the lowest F class are typically amateur 2nd Dan level and those of the highest A and S classes are typically equivalent to apprentice professional 6th Kyuu level. Amateur players after achieving certain criteria can take the examination to enter the Shoureikai to become apprentice professionals. Most were amateur 5th Dan or less before entering the Shoureikai and because of this amateur 6th and 7th Dan players are rare and no one has ever achieved amateur 8th Dan rank.

Apprentice professionals in the Shoureikai are ranked from 6th Kyuu to 3rd Dan. Only 19 year olds and younger are allowed taking the entrance examination to earn Kyuu rank. If there are recommendations from at least 4 professionals, 16 year olds are eligible to take examination for Shoureikai 5th or higher Kyuu rank, 17 year olds for 4th or higher Kyuu rank, 18 year olds for 3rd or higher Kyuu rank, 19 year olds for 1st Kyuu rank. 16-18 year olds are allowed to earn 6th Kyuu rank with benefits such as exempt from primary examination if they achieved Kenshuukai S rank. 15 year olds and younger are eligible to take 6th Kyuu rank examination if they achieved either Kenshuukai C1 rank or top 4 in elementary or middle school level national tournament. If they achieved Kenshuukai A2 rank or higher, they are exempt from primary examination. They are also eligible to take examination for 6th or higher Kyuu rank if there are recommendations from at least 4 professionals and are exempt from primary examination if also achieved both Kenshuukai B1 rank or higher and winner of elementary or middle school level national tournament during the year. Amateur players are allowed to take the examination to earn 1st Dan rank if they are 22 years old or younger, have recommendation from at least 4 professionals and have earned first or second place at a national amateur tournament. Anyone that has recommendation from at least 4 professionals and won 6 amateur tournaments in the same year is allowed to take the examination to earn 3rd Dan rank. Once apprentice professionals raise their rank to 3rd Dan, they participate in the 3rd Dan League where only two people every half a year are promoted to 4th Dan and gain professional status. Shoureikai members get promoted or demoted based on their performance in recorded matches and they must achieve 4th Dan rank by the age of 26 or they will be forced to leave the Shoureikai. Some players that failed to achieve 4th Dan rank by the age of 26 are allowed to take a special examination that will give them a chance to earn professional status. Professionals are ranked from 4th to 9th Dan and the ranks typically reflect their accomplishments such as number of official matches won or titles earned. They are also divided into C2, C1, B2, B1 and A classes in ranking battles which typically reflect how strong they are. Professionals can get promoted or demoted based on their performance in ranking battles and tournaments.

Female professionals are very different from the usual professionals. Female players can receive the same regular professional status as males but no female has ever reached professional 4th Dan rank. The highest achievement ever by a female is Shoureikai 3rd Dan in both the LN’s story and real life. There is a separate system for female players where they can receive female professional status and they rank from female 3rd Kyuu to 6th Dan. Female players age 25 or younger that achieve C1 rank in Kenshukai will receive female 3rd Kyuu rank and will then gain female professional status if promoted to female 2nd Kyuu. Most female players that became female professionals after achieving Kenshukai C1 rank are weaker than Shoureikai’s lowest ranked who are around Kenshuukai A2, A1 or S rank level. Female players that join the Shoureikai first will never gain female professional status because they must join the Kenshuukai first in order to gain female professional status (Ginko probably never joined the Kenshuukai and went straight for the Shoureikai which is the reason she’s not a female professional). But female Shoureikai members can still gain female titles since there are tournaments that are open to any female. Players that already have female professional status can still join the Shoureikai later.

Ai received female professional status after reaching Kenshuukai C1 rank in Vol 5 and was then promoted straight to female 2nd Kyuu due to her performance in a tournament during Vol 4. I don’t know about Ten-chan (Ai #2) but she did as well as Ai did during the tournament in Vol 4 so she should be a female professional too if she has already reached Kenshuukai C1 rank. Ai is also already eligible to take the Shoureikai entrance examination. She was already amateur 3rd Dan in Vol 1 so in the latest volume she should already possess skills of at least Shoureikai 6th Kyuu. There should be half a year until the next Shoureikai entrance examination in the LN’s story, so Ai could raise her Kenshuukai rank to A2 in the meantime so that she will be exempt from the primary examination. If she has recommendations from at least 4 professionals, she can try to enter the Shoureikai starting from a higher Kyuu rank. She can even try to enter the Shoureikai starting from 1st Dan if she has recommendations and earned first or second place at a national amateur tournament. Ai’s goal in the story is to gain a female title before graduating from middle school though so it doesn’t matter if she joins the Shoureikai or not since there are female tournaments that are open to any female. But if she plans to gain the same professional status as males in the future then it’s better to join the Shoureikai as soon as possible since Shoureikai members need to gain professional status by the age of 26.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 14:02   Link #44
sasabit

Can anyone who's read ahead tell me how much development there is between Yaichi and Ai #2? She's my favorite character and has me hooked for more
sasabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 15:13   Link #45
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

She is keeping up with Ai but has achieved more than YanAi.
Old 2018-02-06, 00:47   Link #46
kona~chan
ヘタレ

did they just skip scum king vs the chairman match?
the anime turn out what i'm feared to be, to much focus on the lolis and less shogi

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 04:17   Link #47
dragon1412

nah, I don't think it's that bad, I mean, when I heard of news for the anime, I was kinda expected that some match got skipped. As long as important Matches that required for development got it I don't really mind
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 05:16   Link #48
AP24

Here’s what happens later in the LN.

Spoiler for Vol 4-7 spoilers:

Hopefully Ai participates in another tournament soon in order for her rank to catch up to Ten-chan's fast.
Old 2018-02-06, 06:11   Link #49
sasabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post

Hopefully Ai participates in another tournament soon in order for her rank to catch up to Ten-chan's fast.
Ohh boy. Does Ai #2 have any chance of winning the Yaichibowl or is that pretty much already insured for Ai #1?
sasabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 14:03   Link #50
Soulwarfare42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post

Engagement with Ai...

Should've seen it coming especially considering she is technically the main heroine but god does that still annoy me.
Soulwarfare42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 14:07   Link #51
larethian

Ai got all the good stuff. Truly suffering to be Ginko.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 14:39   Link #52
thefreakmike

In before Ginko challenges Ai to call off the engagement
Old 2018-02-08, 11:38   Link #53
AP24

I wish we can see this scene from Vol 6 animated.

Spoiler:

I just found out that not all of the participants in the Ryuo tournament are professionals. 4 female players, 5 amateurs and 1 Shoureikai member that have been chosen are allowed to be in the tournament though they have to start from the bottom class. Does Ginko participate in the Ryuo tournament since she’s the strongest female player?
Old 2018-02-08, 13:01   Link #54
RDNexus

ANN - Shirow Shiratori, Author of The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!
This may interest people here.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-14, 04:27   Link #55
AP24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuudererules View Post
from shirabii's twitter

Happy Valentine's Day

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That pic is from last year when Vol 5 came out.

Vol 8 synopsis should be out soon, but it's obvious that it will cover Ten-chan and Machi's match that will decide who will be the challenger for one of Ginko's titles.
Old 2018-02-14, 12:01   Link #56
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Preview is out and Ai looks a bit more mature, taller.
Old 2018-02-14, 13:34   Link #57
AP24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Preview is out and Ai looks a bit more mature, taller.
Preview of what?
Old 2018-02-14, 22:19   Link #58
G0rd0

there is also a really really short valentine chapter imo not worth reading
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-15, 09:27   Link #59
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneMika View Post
there is also a really really short valentine chapter imo not worth reading
That's up to others to decide.

Being Ginko is suffering.
Yaichi going to the beach with friends including Ginko and Keika but suddenly everyone cancelled, Keika too in another useless attempt to wingman Ginko, with nobody else but Ginko Yaichi calls Ais, so Keika decides to actually go now that her plan once again failed.
Old 2018-02-15, 21:55   Link #60
G0rd0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
That's up to others to decide.

Being Ginko is suffering.
Yaichi going to the beach with friends including Ginko and Keika but suddenly everyone cancelled, Keika too in another useless attempt to wingman Ginko, with nobody else but Ginko Yaichi calls Ais, so Keika decides to actually go now that her plan once again failed.
Thats why i said in my opinion
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, fake harem, fake lolicon king, ga bunko, harem, lolicon king, seinen, shogi, sports