AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-09-07, 10:33   Link #741
Phaz0n

What about CDJapan?

I've bought quite a few DVDs and Blurays from there, Including the Ushio to Tora Blurays

Phaz0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-04, 11:17   Link #742
LuckyTouhouStar

So, uh...

It's only from browsing this forum that I found out proxy shipping from Japan is even a thing. Would like to ask if anyone knows any options for shipping this to the UK?

This sort of thing might've been asked already but I couldn't find anything on it, any help is appreciated~
LuckyTouhouStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-05, 04:15   Link #743
Alf

Tenso is probably the most famous proxy shipping for now:
http://www.tenso.com/
And they have an associate site that is for proxy purchasing called Buyee:
http://buyee.jp/

Both sites have display language options. I've been using Goyokikiya myself recently though. They also have proxy shipping and proxy purchasing, but don't have english interface:
https://www.goyokikiya.com/

In general, Tenso is more convient that you don't have to register what you buy, Buyee have the advantage of discount for buying from certain sites, and Goyokikiya is cheaper when you have multiple packages receiving from different shops within 1 month, that they don't charge you extra with repacking multiple packages for less weight. Check their pricing scheme and service charges for detailed costs.

In your case, since Kadokawa shop doesn't accept overseas credit cards, you either find another shop that accept overseas card or use proxy purchase service. But I suspect you won't find cheaper shop than Kadokawa shop for that one.

I heard if you have JCB cards it can treated as local cards, but I haven't tried it myself.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-05, 09:07   Link #744
LuckyTouhouStar

Thanks for the tips.

Made the order now and just waiting to hear from them really, will probably be tomorrow.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it actually works out lol
LuckyTouhouStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 12:17   Link #745
BPD Renegade

Does anyone know if items from the Figuarts ZERO collection are supposed to be made in China? I was at the Bluefin booth at AX, so I assumed everything there was legitimate and didn't pay close attention to details. I snapped a figure up at show price which was 50% off.

There are a couple small, almost unnoticeable blemishes, which might be because this line is supposed to be a cheaper series, and after comparing with legitimate online stores, I think everything looks like it's supposed to, but underneath the stand is printed "Bandai 2015" while the box says "2016."

All the goods I buy are usually made in Japan, but maybe it's different for figures? I seldom buy figures, so input would be helpful.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 19:03   Link #746
Verso Sciolto
Banned

I'm interested in getting feedback about which Japanese "digital editions" providers of manga magazines and tankobon volumes are accessible and usable for people outside Japan. Would it be acceptable to list some of these online book selling companies to inquire who uses them or is willing to check, or would that be considered advertising / spam in this thread on this forum?

Some provide previews accessible overseas but no option to buy. Others are nearly completely invisible outside their "service area".

In the opposite direction I'm wondering who has access to digital content offered from and for the English language market in the United States. Some titles I'd love to buy but am currently not allowed to based on where I live, in other words...
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 15:47   Link #747
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
I'm interested in getting feedback about which Japanese "digital editions" providers of manga magazines and tankobon volumes are accessible and usable for people outside Japan. Would it be acceptable to list some of these online book selling companies to inquire who uses them or is willing to check, or would that be considered advertising / spam in this thread on this forum?

Some provide previews accessible overseas but no option to buy. Others are nearly completely invisible outside their "service area".
I once bought a digital copy of the Famitsu on bookwalker.co.jp. Buying and paying was no problem, but they require a certain reader that's available for PC and smartphones. However, and that was very annoying because I wasn't notified about it beforehand, you cannot use the PC app if you have created your Bookwalker account via Twitter or Facebook (the PC/Desktop version does not allow authentification via those credentials).

Not sure if they manga content is region-locked. The Famitsu certainly wasn't.

Last edited by Tanuki.; 2017-07-12 at 04:05.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 22:31   Link #748
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki. View Post
I once bought a digital copy if the Famitsu on bookwalker.co.jp. Buying and paying was not problem, but they require a certain reader that's available for PC and smartphones. However, and that was very annoying because I wasn't notified about it beforehand, you cannot use the PC app if you have created your Bookwalker account via Twitter or Facebook (the PC/Desktop version does not allow authentification via those credentials).

Not sure if they manga content is region-locked. The Famitsu certainly wasn't.
Things like that, yes.

I've had and heard very similar experiences with Bookwalker which echo our experiences with LINEmanga as well. The site and app behaves differently depending on whether an account is set up and activated from a computer or if first registration is done from a mobile device.

Content shared between devices used with the same account also behaves differently. One of those who tested these accounts can purchase with their membership, the other can't. Starting the registration from a mobile phone seems to result in the smoothest operation. Small sample size but LINEmanga appears to be region-locked to anyone outside Japan.

There have been people who reported back about having access to Yahoo Japan's online Bookstore from outside Japan. People who found the site a little difficult to navigate because of language but had no trouble with getting access to the desired content once found.

Amazon Japan's Kindle Store can also be accessed overseas depending on how the account is set up on co.jp. While print books can mostly be purchased from an account on any regional Amazon store -set up with the same email and shipping address- the same isn't true for digital content. For eBooks a choice of store is required. Some but not all .jp content is available on .com and/or other "branches".

Bookwalker makes Japanese content available to users outside Japan but some of the English language content is not made available to users inside Japan - Bookwalker, like other online bookstores, can't sell these titles because the Japanese license holder of the original source material has not authorised the release of English translated digital editions of Japanese manga back into Japan, under their current contract. Hopefully that will be addressed and changed in future re-negotiations.
Old 2017-11-28, 22:36   Link #749
amasposu

http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/comic_magazine/ is currently my go-to place to buy ebooks for manga magazines, tankobon, and light novels.

Pros:
- They accept my non-Japan credit cards.
- They release ebook manga magazines online (ie: Weekly Shonen Magazine) at the same time as they release in Japan. There is no need to wait for the release even though I don't live in Japan.
- Their selection is ridiculously large. They literally have everything you can think of.

Last edited by amasposu; 2017-11-29 at 00:26.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 21:40   Link #750
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amasposu View Post
http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/comic_magazine/ is currently my go-to place to buy ebooks for manga magazines, tankobon, and light novels.

Pros:
- They accept my non-Japan credit cards.
- They release ebook manga magazines online (ie: Weekly Shonen Magazine) at the same time as they release in Japan. There is no need to wait for the release even though I don't live in Japan.
- Their selection is ridiculously large. They literally have everything you can think of.
For content from Japan, bought outside Japan. Great to see another comment by someone with personal experience with a particular online store. Great also to see the increasing number of online stores with content from more than one publishing company. Catalogues of eTexts for older and more obscure titles and from smaller publishers are also apparently rapidly expanding.

Because of interest in the serialisation of Chihayafuru, in Be Love magazine, I ran into this online store list on the Japanese site of Kodansha. Some of those stores only work from Japanese mobile phones while others only work within Japan and/or with Japanese payment methods so I'm glad to hear that another store appearing on their list is confirmed to work for overseas customers.

Hopefully more licenses are negotiated for traffic in the other direction as well. Allowing for translated electronic content in various languages to be sold back inside Japan and additional parts of the world.

Do you also have experience with any of the other stores on such lists?

Beyond the initial step of purchasing electronic books / magazines I do wonder about their benefits - especially the permanence of the content. Are all those titles downloaded and will the contents be permanently at your disposal or do they remain at the mercy of the content providers / license holders / stores etc...? How easy is it to find each individual file on your device - for storage and backups - beyond the shelves?
Old 2017-11-29, 23:28   Link #751
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Many advantages indeed and I'm very excited about all the eText options and the ongoing expansion of catalogues. So its great to know you have good experiences with ebookjapan.

The issue of content disappearing is something I've experienced and that experience makes me a little weary. Dropping a physical book in the sink with the dishes will ruin it. Lending a magazine to someone may be the last time I'll see that issue of it and misplacing printed matter or storing them where they're forgotten or accessible by bugs and sunlight is just another thing that can go wrong with books in print but ...

Companies going out of business will not wipe out the physical books I bought from them. A contract not being renewed will not result in the erasure of a first edition as it did with a back-up copy from the original publisher being removed from cloud storage with the release of the new version by a different publishing company.
Transparent file systems with easy to understand naming conventions and disclosed file locations make creating and maintaining back-ups easier.

Thanks for your feedback and for putting the image of your collection back up.

What I'm looking for is Chihayafuru in eText or print in languages other than Japanese - released under a global license for such eBooks but also methods available to others so they too can get their hands on an original series like that. Really like all the developments in that regard and hope for even wider accessibility and ease of use...

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-11-29 at 23:39.
Old 2017-11-29, 23:33   Link #752
amasposu

Then buy physical books.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 23:49   Link #753
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amasposu View Post
Then buy physical books.
I buy both. Each publication method has their advantages and disadvantages. Finding out which offers which is among the reasons I post here...

Tags
anime dvd suggestions, anime movies, help finding an anime, manga, purchase, streaming anime