AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 28.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 35.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 13.43%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-04, 12:34   Link #61
Terizent
Nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So Mardock like, this ep...All those handle names plus Shougo somehow reminds me of Shell.

The team sent in to catch that otaku creep. They outnumbered him, yet only Akane went ahead when they could have followed her and remained in close contact without activating the Dominator. Close combat works well too you know...
Remember that it was supposed to be a "covert" operation. Spooky Boogie clearly didn't want the rest of the clubbers to know that she was helping the government. They may have been planning to find him, and then to tail him to his home or something.

Also I doubt that the police would have gone in without their Dominators, it's basically the only weapon at their disposal, and they have no idea that Shogo's group can detect them. It seems to me that Shogo and Co. have some serious tech at their disposal, they can both detect and disable the Dominators, and were able to hack the holograms all at once, which nobody in-universe even expected.
Old 2012-11-04, 12:58   Link #62
HandofFate

question about the whole death by choking thing in media/movies and stuff.

In movies, when someone gets choked, they pass out, and the person lets go, and they immediately end up dying right there. In real life, once they let go, wouldn't the body automatically try to breathe again? And to make sure they're dead, they have to keep holding?

People almost drown in real life, and lose consciousness, and once they bought to surface, they recover consciousness, with or without mouth to mouth.
Old 2012-11-04, 13:00   Link #63
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
From an action stand point, the last episode was clearly better. But from fleshing out more of the world this anime lives in, this episode was superior. Here's hoping Akane's friend doesn't get dismantled like the real Talisman was.
Old 2012-11-04, 13:38   Link #64
Dop
Mmmm....

The unemployment thing: Is is that nobody is unemployed because business and the economy are booming and there's jobs for all, or is it that nobody is allowed to be unemployed but is instead sent on pointless 'make-work' tasks to tweak the figures?

There used to be this big thing in the UK to send teams of unemployed youths around counting lamp posts and roadsigns to keep them off the unemployment statistics.
So maybe that's why Akane has never heard of anyone being unemployed.

That whole utopia/dystopia thing, again
Old 2012-11-04, 13:41   Link #65
HandofFate

well, episode 2 explained how job assignment is done.

The Sybil system pretty much tells you what jobs your most attuned for automatically, then you just probably choose from a list like Akane did.
Old 2012-11-04, 15:53   Link #66
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
The unemployment thing: Is it that nobody is unemployed because business and the economy are booming and there's jobs for all, or is it that nobody is allowed to be unemployed but is instead sent on pointless 'make-work' tasks to tweak the figures?
My faith in the writer is not as strong as that of many other viewers. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that he didn't actually think much about this. It's very possibly the latter option, that people are assigned to pointless tasks to create "full employment".

After all, it seems to me that the writer hasn't even been very consistent in the way he uses Psycho-pass numbers and Crime Coefficients, or even the Hue readings, for that matter. They seem synonymous with each other and yet seem to be different things.

In the end though, if I were to suspend disbelief and simply take the facts at face value, I'd say it appears that the economy is booming in the Psycho-pass universe. So, there is probably nearly full employment because of a healthy economy, and not because people are being assigned to pointless tasks. We don't see anyone engaged in such tasks, while we do see evidence of people who have fallen through the cracks. Slums exist in this world, as was evident in Ep1. I think the idea is that the Sibyl System eliminates the guess work from career choice, making it possible to always assign people to where a job needs to be done. Hence, full employment.

In other words, the Sibyl System has created a perfect central-planning economic system, where very little is wasted.
Old 2012-11-04, 16:16   Link #67
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Episode 4 was "excellent" for me, Akane avatar is too cute, stiff police was so fun it proves that thanks to this virtual world all nervous people can find their way without risking attracted sybille attention?

then do poor spooky boogy killed like that.

In any case, I really love the wink of Shion
Old 2012-11-04, 17:52   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
The unemployment thing: Is is that nobody is unemployed because business and the economy are booming and there's jobs for all, or is it that nobody is allowed to be unemployed but is instead sent on pointless 'make-work' tasks to tweak the figures?
Well, you're not literally forced to work an actual job, as we saw by the example of the original Talisman. My guess, though, is that every adult citizen is expected to be self-sufficient (things like welfare, food stamps, and employment insurance might not exist in this world). If you can pull that off through personal private enterprise (running your own business, say), then great. Otherwise, the Sibyl System (and/or a similar system) helps you determine which jobs you're qualified for, and makes employment recommendations.

The exact nature of these jobs is obviously up to question. Perhaps the bureaucracy has grown by leaps and bounds, finding employment for everyone. Perhaps restaurants are never understaffed, as people who are capable of working at restaurants (but not many other places) are expected to work there if no other options are there, period.

Yes, there's definitely a potential downside to achieving maximum employment for its own sake (Episode 3 clearly shows how certain forms of employment can be downright hellish), but I still lean towards seeing this as a net benefit.

Also, to be fair, real life does have its share of very mundane jobs. I think of the people who hold up "Stop/Slow" signs during road construction, out there in all sorts of weather conditions. I think I'd go crazy if I spent 8 (or more) hours a day, 5 (or more) days a week, just holding up signs and watching traffic go by.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:00   Link #69
Terizent
Nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
After all, it seems to me that the writer hasn't even been very consistent in the way he uses Psycho-pass numbers and Crime Coefficients, or even the Hue readings, for that matter. They seem synonymous with each other and yet seem to be different things.
The Criminal coefficients and Hue readings are defined pretty concretely, and I think that a person's Psycho-Pass more closely related to the Hue readings.

In the first episode we have the rapist saying that his PP is "muddy," in the 2nd episode the Jellyfish tells Akane that her PP is "powdah blue" and in the 3rd Akane talks about how the murderer's PP improved after killing. In all these cases, I don't think they've ever described a person's PP with a number value.
Old 2012-11-04, 19:43   Link #70
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
My guess is the former, or some form of it, is meant. This setting has a supposedly more efficient way of distributing labor--with the Sibyl aptitude test--, which has been assumed to reduce unemployment rate in many science fiction stories (e.g. Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy, "The Evitable Conflict" by Isaac Asimov, etc). The authors writing these stories often have a very low opinion of economics, so it would not be surprising for another such author to not have bothered to check his predictions against modern economic theory.
Old 2012-11-04, 20:57   Link #71
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

The way that guy's killing process was described reminds me of Dexter (covering a room in plastic and then disassembling the body into pieces). Wonder if Urobuchi is a fan?
Old 2012-11-06, 16:57   Link #72
ArturEngel
Kiririn's minion

After i've read most posts, here are some points, that i want to clear:

1. I think, Akane won't become an Enforcer. Remember Episode 2, where she talks to her classmates? She was thrown in cold water, hunting this guy from Episode 1 down. After all that happend, the only thing Akane was worried about was Kogami. Her psycho pass didn't change a bit.
And then in Episode 4, just before she went to check on Talisman, Akane told Kogami, that the way he thinks, makes his crime coefficient rise so high. I don't belive, that her psycho pass would become any darker. She is just too cute for it =)

2. About Masaoka. Yes, he was a detective. He made almost a statment in Episode 2 about it. Also Kogami said in Episode 4, that if it was Masaoka instead, he would probably find the clues already after he has entered the room.

3. About people in the club. I come round to an opinion, that anarchists are marked as a threat to Sibil system. So they get high crime coeficcients for their way of thinking.

4. About being registred after leaving your apartment. In Akane's world everything is transparent. No one cares much about what you do, as long as you don't plan to commit a crime. Also being anonymos means, that you don't want to be caught on doing something, that is not allowed or may cause damage to other people.
Old 2012-11-06, 18:11   Link #73
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, you're not literally forced to work an actual job, as we saw by the example of the original Talisman. My guess, though, is that every adult citizen is expected to be self-sufficient (things like welfare, food stamps, and employment insurance might not exist in this world). If you can pull that off through personal private enterprise (running your own business, say), then great. Otherwise, the Sibyl System (and/or a similar system) helps you determine which jobs you're qualified for, and makes employment recommendations.

The exact nature of these jobs is obviously up to question. Perhaps the bureaucracy has grown by leaps and bounds, finding employment for everyone. Perhaps restaurants are never understaffed, as people who are capable of working at restaurants (but not many other places) are expected to work there if no other options are there, period.

Yes, there's definitely a potential downside to achieving maximum employment for its own sake (Episode 3 clearly shows how certain forms of employment can be downright hellish), but I still lean towards seeing this as a net benefit.

Also, to be fair, real life does have its share of very mundane jobs. I think of the people who hold up "Stop/Slow" signs during road construction, out there in all sorts of weather conditions. I think I'd go crazy if I spent 8 (or more) hours a day, 5 (or more) days a week, just holding up signs and watching traffic go by.
I'd like to think of it everyone being assigned to do something they are good at. What's a better world than that?
Old 2012-11-06, 22:21   Link #74
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Nice episode. The whole episode was pretty spooky (pardon the pun). The whole network and avatars just gave me a creepy feeling, and what ended up happening to Spooky Boogie and the original Talisman...shudder

So the main(?) antagonist has made his appearance. I can't wait to find out what he's planning to do
Old 2012-11-07, 21:57   Link #75
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^Remember when he put those tomatoes into the blender? That's what happened to them.
Old 2012-11-07, 22:12   Link #76
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
^Remember when he put those tomatoes into the blender? That's what happened to them.
Hmm... nice tomatoes.
Old 2012-11-07, 22:36   Link #77
Terizent
Nonsense!

I find it rather ironic that the "invisible" method of disposal (flushing the slurry down the toilet and breaking it) is what eventually caused the CID to investigate the murder.
Old 2012-11-09, 20:21   Link #78
OPN

ZOMG sakurais character finally showed up! Anyway kinda boring episode but sakurai showing up made this episode good. 7/10
Old 2012-11-10, 22:00   Link #79
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
But more pertinent is how many people in this world (even including government agents, like Police Inspector Akane!) feel the need to turn to anonymous advice-givers for the problems in their life. In a world where psychiatric health clearly counts for a helluva lot, it is pretty eyebrow-raising how there are barely any mental health professionals to be seen.
I would be very surprised if there were still any mental health professionals at all (outside of "treatment camps", that is).
Vising any such person would make you instantly suspicious. "Oh, looks like there's someone in need of treatment."
That treatment doesn't seem to be a nice thing either, given how people go to great lenghts to avoid it (or to get scanned in the first place). Some sort of brainwashing, perhaps?
Thus, people keep all their problems to themselves, making sure to let no one know about them, in order to look as "sane" as possible.
No wonder that charlatans like "Talisman" are so extremely popular - it's the only thing people have left, where they can talk about their problems anonymously.

Quote:
I wonder what that might say about the state of the mental health profession in the world of Psycho-Pass. Is the "therapy" offered in this world entirely automated and/or AI-driven? Are human psychiatrists considered obsolete? Or did Sibyl (and/or humans) determine that such a profession was too mentally dangerous for any human to enter into since it would put one at a severe, continuous risk of "contamination"? Or maybe they're just having a hard time finding people willing to risk that contamination, hence a shortage of mental health professionals.
I think that coming into frequent contact with "not-so-sane" people is the main thing scaring people off this job. For those who still take it, there might be a high drop-out rate of people who feel that their PP is getting too clouded from the job, and then quickly quit before they turn into "latent criminals" and are degraded to Enforcers - which all seem to be ex-police, without exception, as I can't imagine them hiring actual criminals for that job.
Once humiliated by that degradation, some Enforcers (like Shinja) seem to rely excessively on that Sybil system (which isn't all that great to begin with) - probably, because they don't trust their own judgement anymore and feel it brought upon their present situation.
Old 2012-11-10, 23:36   Link #80
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
I would be very surprised if there were still any mental health professionals at all (outside of "treatment camps", that is).
Vising any such person would make you instantly suspicious. "Oh, looks like there's someone in need of treatment."
That treatment doesn't seem to be a nice thing either, given how people go to great lenghts to avoid it (or to get scanned in the first place). Some sort of brainwashing, perhaps?
Thus, people keep all their problems to themselves, making sure to let no one know about them, in order to look as "sane" as possible.
No wonder that charlatans like "Talisman" are so extremely popular - it's the only thing people have left, where they can talk about their problems anonymously.

I think that coming into frequent contact with "not-so-sane" people is the main thing scaring people off this job. For those who still take it, there might be a high drop-out rate of people who feel that their PP is getting too clouded from the job, and then quickly quit before they turn into "latent criminals" and are degraded to Enforcers - which all seem to be ex-police, without exception, as I can't imagine them hiring actual criminals for that job.
Once humiliated by that degradation, some Enforcers (like Shinja) seem to rely excessively on that Sybil system (which isn't all that great to begin with) - probably, because they don't trust their own judgement anymore and feel it brought upon their present situation.

Yeah, you could very well be right about all of this. It certainly fits with how the guy in the first episode reacted to being assigned "therapy".