AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-06, 01:53   Link #41
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
"And thus, the boy shall become a king!". Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

It was pretty mediocre start, but I'll watch it so far, I guess, since I'm a sucker for fantasy stories.
Glad to see I was not the only one chuckling inside and thinking about Arslan when watching the first episode. ^^
Old 2015-07-06, 09:07   Link #42
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Ok so I went ahead and watched it anyway. Not sure how accurate the translation is but I was able to follow and that's the important thing.

Not sure where the dislike comes from. I agree it's not really full fledged yet, but it does bleed potential. Future episodes have the potential to get pretty good.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 10:34   Link #43
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
I don't think that this can be considered a spoiler but episode 2 (from pre-air) is better that the 1st in almost every aspect, so I suggest you not to drop the series after just one episode (in case you're planning to do so).
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 12:01   Link #44
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's so very very refreshing to have a sword and sorcery fantasy anime that takes itself seriously, and does not appear to be one of those comedy-heavy and harem-heavy fantasy narratives that seems to so totally dominate modern fantasy anime and LNs (I'm sure many here know exactly what I mean by this).

Chaos Dragon instead reminds me so wonderfully and vividly of classic 90s fantasy anime like Magic Knight Rayearth, Escaflowne, El Hazard, Fushigi Yuugi, and The Slayers. It's really great to just get truly engrossed in a gripping fantasy setting with lots of interesting conflict going on.

Chaos Dragon Episode 1 was an awesomely tense and enchanting opening episode for me. The major protagonists came across really well, and the overall conflict already feels so rich and vibrant to me.

Now, the first episode isn't without its faults. There's a certain blockiness to some of the character designs and/or animation. There are moments of QUALITY animation here, unless these character designs themselves are the problems.

Still, it looks Ok on the whole. The visuals aren't fantastic, but they're good enough to support the narrative being told and the characters being presented.

I also felt that maybe a little bit too much was thrown out there in the first third or so of the show. Still, that's a very minor quibble given everything that Episode 1 managed to get right. The 2nd half of Episode 1 executed everything in a very engaging and appealing way. All the key scenes involving Ibuki felt great, and as a viewer, I couldn't ask for a better start to Ibuki's journey.

On the one hand, its very sad to see such a likeable and sweet character like Mashiro get killed off this quickly. On the other hand, it makes for a greater sense of loss on Ibuki's part, giving the first episode even stronger emotional resonance for me.

Visuals aside, Chaos Dragon's first episode was everything I could have hoped for, and maybe even more besides. I'm definitely looking forward to Episode 2.
Old 2015-07-06, 13:32   Link #45
whitecloud

It seems for every strength upgrade he have to sacrifice 1 friend, just like it said in the preview
Old 2015-07-06, 14:45   Link #46
HtwoN

I know I shouldn't, but I laughed when the MC sacrificed the girl.

I feel this anime is ridiculous. Not so bad anyway.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 15:21   Link #47
cyth
Banned

Hard to say. For me the biggest visual detractor is that as a fansub watcher I don't have a clean source to watch it from. With so many dark and red colors, the 720p comes out washed and sort of foggy. The second is the awful dragon CG. Aside from that, individual character animations look solid.

Like a few others have said it's refreshing to see this type of story taking itself seriously. But I have a few contentions with the source. Its inspiration table-top RPG sessions with Urobuchi and Nasu? It's probably just marketing, but if this is indeed a trope-spammer, then its intent is corrupt. I can't watch such a show in a vacuum with a clear conscience whilst knowing creators were just fucking around. Context is important.

I'll stick around for another episode though.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 15:47   Link #48
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

It is a TRPG with Butcher, Mushroom, Kougyoku, Shimadoriru, Narita as players and Sanda as the game master.

The game system is constructed by Sanda, Kodachi, and Miwa.

The original TRPG is quite a hilarious run with the RNG dices doing its job and how the tropeish things that players do.
This is probably why some watchers are being disappointed because they are expecting the show to be comedic because how funnily the TRPG had been bouncing around.
But instead we got something that takes itself seriously.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 15:51   Link #49
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtwoN View Post
I know I shouldn't, but I laughed when the MC sacrificed the girl.

I feel this anime is ridiculous. Not so bad anyway.
I kinda felt the same, what more motivation do Mc's need, i know kill off their Female friend - that always gives them power.... boring.....

Ill watch the next episode to see how it goes otherwise mediocre episode. Felt too much like a typical run of the mill fantasy magic anime.. shame.. oh well hopefully improves with the subsequent episodes.
Baldurkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 18:16   Link #50
Vezon

Alright Start, just wished that when the MC received his power he would kill more than just the lieutenant, A bunch of his citizens died, might as while get of all invaders. Too really show his all powerfulness.
Old 2015-07-06, 18:23   Link #51
Tenzen12

This episode felt like waste of time, none of character clicked with me and I find premise of using friends as power up fuel, both ridiculous and untasteful and in this case it didn't have shock value it's probably supposed to have...

Well, it's just first episode and Narita character still wasn't formally appearance, so I will continue for while. It's not like I can't afford waste 20 minutes per week.
Old 2015-07-06, 18:23   Link #52
chaos_animagic

watched episode 1...

so... everyone's dead... series over? LOL

BTW, I thought he killed the female cause he didn't have a choice... his hands was moving by it self controlled by the Red Dragon.

And there goes the "romance" factor of this series, all gone in just first episode.

Now... onto Tragedy, Drama and Mass Killings. Yay?
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 19:15   Link #53
HtwoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
watched episode 1...

so... everyone's dead... series over? LOL

BTW, I thought he killed the female cause he didn't have a choice... his hands was moving by it self controlled by the Red Dragon.

And there goes the "romance" factor of this series, all gone in just first episode.

Now... onto Tragedy, Drama and Mass Killings. Yay?
I don't expect any romance in this, since the MC is literally a kid.

If I laugh at the tragedy again, I will drop.
Old 2015-07-06, 19:23   Link #54
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow....that is the worst power up ever.

Gets a single use power up and has to kill a friend to get it. That....seems really useless. Ibuki might as well just kill himself now before he is forced to kill more of his friends to save friends that he will be forced to kill later...
Old 2015-07-06, 19:57   Link #55
Amiluhur
Gondok

I was laughing so hard during the fight scene between the white-haired MC and the fatass villain. I mean, how come you can go from simple swordfighting into sudden outburst of power that decimates everything around you?
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 20:49   Link #56
HtwoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiluhur View Post
I was laughing so hard during the fight scene between the white-haired MC and the fatass villain. I mean, how come you can go from simple swordfighting into sudden outburst of power that decimates everything around you?
You sheathe your sword into the scabbard. Then you pull it out.
Old 2015-07-06, 20:58   Link #57
FateAnomaly

This isn't bad i think. The sacrifice makes sense otherwise the previous inheritor would have used the power to save the country.

The part i don't like is that the dragon look like a digimon or some card game dragon.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 21:02   Link #58
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Episode 1

-Wants to take itself seriously
--Over the top blood physics and volume
--Random fanservice

-Expositions its way through all of its setting

-Oh noes, Ibuki's loved one died and we barely knew her

-Villains chew the scenery, heroes can't show why we should give a damn about them

-However, I'm not sure what the exact deal is with the Ryus. I'll give them that much
--Likewise, I'm not sure who's on which side aside from Nil Kamui, but that's not actually a good thing

-Meh aesthetics
--Fight scenes keep cutting away, are very still, or are uninspired when they finally get going
--No 'omph' to the SFX. AZ and GC this is not

Cool show.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 21:57   Link #59
Ryuga

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with what I watched. Exposition was lengthy, everything felt kinda corny and uninspired, the fight scenes didn't wow me and I dislike the char designs. But I'm going to stick around and give the series a chance.

That Koukaku seems to be pretty fond of small boys......
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-07, 01:30   Link #60
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I've watched a bit of the episode and I think it's much better to just watch the players themselves play instead of getting this kind of almost-schadenfreude-inducing tragedy.

Quote:
Chaos Dragon instead reminds me so wonderfully and vividly of classic 90s fantasy anime like Magic Knight Rayearth, Escaflowne, El Hazard, Fushigi Yuugi, and The Slayers. It's really great to just get truly engrossed in a gripping fantasy setting with lots of interesting conflict going on.
There's one problem: these series were timeless classics, and there are very few series nowadays that can actually capture what's great about the fantasy anime of the past.

Maybe high fantasy's dead to me. I dunno.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote