AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-04, 07:48   Link #1
NeoSam

Allison to Lilia (Allison & Lilia)

The boy's light novel series Allison and its follow up light novel series Lilia and Trais will be getting animated.

The anime adaptation will be titled:
アリソンとリリア
Allison to Lilia (Allison & Lilia)

Official anime site:
http://allison-web.net/

MediaWorks page for both the Allison light novel series and the Lilia and Trais light novel series:
http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/contents/allison/index.php

==========

アリソン
Allison

少年向け小説(ライトノベル)
Light novels for boys (shounen light novels).

A light novel series thats published under the shounen light novel label Dengeki Bunko (and also it was serialized in the male oriented light novel magazine Dengeki hp).
Its 4 volumes light novel series (finished).
Covers:

Spoiler:

Author: Keiichi Sigsawa
Illustrator: Kohaku Kuroboshi

Genre: Shounen, Adventure

==========

リリアとトレイズ
Lilia and Trais

少年向け小説(ライトノベル)
Light novels for boys (shounen light novels).

A light novel series thats published under the shounen light novel label Dengeki Bunko.
For now there are 6 volumes released of this light novel.
Covers:

Spoiler:

Author: Keiichi Sigsawa
Illustrator: Kohaku Kuroboshi

Genre: Shounen, Adventure

==========

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-11-22 at 17:23.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 17:20   Link #2
NeoSam

MediaWorks has opened a page for both the Allison light novel series and Lilia and Trais light novel series:
http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/contents/allison/index.php
Old 2007-11-05, 00:39   Link #3
myopius

The characters' confident expressions and casual posing (I especially like volume 5 of Lilia and Trais) leads me to hope/anticipate this series will feature un-angsty and mature relationships, which is a rare and wonderful feature for a series to have. Also, that the guy (Trais?) is holding a gun in one of those covers, and that at http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/contents/allison/index.php the girl (Lilia?) is holding a gun herself, makes me think this series could have an interesting premise. I'll be sure to follow this.
Old 2007-11-10, 23:05   Link #4
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!!

I'm almost done reading Alison (see sigy. at volume 4), and volume 1 of Lilia and Trais is currently being shipped. This is a series by Sigusawa Keiichi, of Kino's Travels fame. The setting is similar to Baccano! (early 20C) but without superpowers, but on a fictional world with two countries who are arch enemies and are at war for, like forever.

The blond girl on Alison's cover is Alison Whittington, a spunky girl who is a fighter pilot of the newly commissioned air force (WWI type propeller aircraft with machine guns are being introduced. You can see one on the cover of volume 2). She is.... actually Suzumiya Haruhi-lite. Full of energy and likes to take the initiative.

The boy on volume 2 and 4 is Wilhelm Schultz, a scholarship student and
Spoiler for minor one about relationship with Alison:
Another important character is Carr Benedict, but I shouldn't tell too many spoilers.

Lilia and Trais take place ~15 years after Alison, so the two are different, albeit closely related, stories. I'm not sure how they'd fit in a single series.

Key points to look out for: Interactions between Alison and Wilhelm (well, pretty much all major characters are pretty well fleshed out), and the rivalry between the two cultures. I'm also looking forward for the dogfights (WW1 propeller aircraft style!)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
The characters' confident expressions and casual posing (I especially like volume 5 of Lilia and Trais) leads me to hope/anticipate this series will feature un-angsty and mature relationships, which is a rare and wonderful feature for a series to have. Also, that the guy (Trais?) is holding a gun in one of those covers, and that at http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/contents/allison/index.php the girl (Lilia?) is holding a gun herself, makes me think this series could have an interesting premise. I'll be sure to follow this.
The series is shouneny, lots of explosions and gunshots, but the character interactions are really well done. The level of trust between Alison and Wilhelm is quite nice. Not much room for angst Haven't read Lilia and Trais, so I can't really comment on those two. The 'girl(Lilia?)' is actually Alison. Lilia is the one in a school uniform with arms crossed.

Edit 2: I really hope they go for the light novel style of art. The comics style don't really go for me.

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2007-11-10 at 23:48.
dahl_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 00:25   Link #5
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Spoiler for length:
Hmm~~, sounds fairly interesting.

I never liked Haruhi, but since I doubt there will be time travelers, aliens, etc., it should be fine.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 04:54   Link #6
cyth
Banned

Title is said to air in April 2008 with a total of 26 episodes (NHK, BS2 broadcasts).

Director: Nishida Masayoshi (Mokke)
Series Composition: Machida Doko (Raki☆Suta)
Animation Production: MADHOUSE (!!)
Production: 'Alison & Lilia' Production Commitee

MOON PHASE speculates on his diary that the series could be divided into two cours. The first would cover Alison and the second Lilia & Trais. Official project name is apparently Alison & Lilia.

Source
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 05:22   Link #7
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
MOON PHASE speculates on his diary that the series could be divided into two cours. The first would cover Alison and the second Lilia & Trais. Official project name is apparently Alison & Lilia.

Source
Oh, that sounds pretty good.

But, mah, April's still far away.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 17:00   Link #8
NeoSam

The official site for the Allison & Lilia anime has opened:
http://allison-web.net/
Old 2007-11-22, 18:39   Link #9
Westlo
Lets be reality

Looking forward to this.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 17:56   Link #10
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

The rough sketch of Alison on the anime website gives me hope.

Anyway, I've just finished reading book 1 of Lilia and Trais. Sigusawa-sensei's signature slightly dry and bitter writing seems a bit more bitter in Lilia and Trais. Expect Kino's Travels level of dark chocolatey bitterness Can't wait to read book 2!
Old 2007-12-02, 05:40   Link #11
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Title is said to air in April 2008 with a total of 26 episodes (NHK, BS2 broadcasts).

Director: Nishida Masayoshi (Mokke)
Series Composition: Machida Doko (Raki☆Suta)
Animation Production: MADHOUSE (!!)
Production: 'Alison & Lilia' Production Commitee

Source
Oh damn, why Madhouse? I know they sometimes produce gobsmacking awesome things like Dennou Coil and Paranoia Agent, but most of the time they end up throwing half the episodes to Korean animators from what I remember (dunno, haven't watched much of their anime recently).

Then again, this is from the author of Kino no Tabi, of which the anime had some excellent writing (although sad to say I've never read the novels), so I'm hoping it's just as good, and if so, that the directing and screenplay adaptation will do it justice Then it's okay even if the animation is so-so...

EDIT: WAIT LOL NHK
Hahahaha NHK? Okay, then I think I'll want to check this out - while I'm not saying all of the stuff NHK airs is great, I think this means it is much less likely to end up an overly moelicious tasteless adaptation. Great!! I won't say that just cos it's NHK it'll also get a great budget though, because while Madhouse + NHK has resulted in Dennou Coil, that was primetime and on NHK-E - I hope this might move a little more than Saiunkoku Monogatari (Madhouse + NHK-BS2)
Oh well, nobody can tell for sure until it actually airs...
Old 2007-12-06, 07:13   Link #12
NeoSam

A streaming promotional video for the Allison to Lilia (Allison & Lilia) anime can be watched here.

Direct link to the promotional video for narrowband connections.
Direct link to the promotional video for broadband connections.
Old 2007-12-06, 09:41   Link #13
wao
OK.

Oh gee, that showed practically nothing. Not a single frame of animation... what's the point of the trailer anyway...

(Unless my connection to the video was so laggy I missed out 50% of it? I don't think so)
Old 2007-12-06, 09:49   Link #14
Woland
Latin Rascal

No, it's not a connection's problem, just a medley made with still frame based on the original art from the novels. Quite typical first promo for this kind of adaptation but still a bit underwhelming .
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 19:28   Link #15
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Well, the series is due for next April. But my god, I felt I was watching a pirated promo video captured by a cellphone I hope this isn't low budget.
Old 2008-01-01, 22:47   Link #16
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
April is so far away...but I'm gonna check this series out and blog it when it airs.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 23:01   Link #17
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Alison's website has been updated, and I have very mixed feelings about this.

First the downsides: WTF is wrong with the artists!? Yeah I know Kohaku Kuroboshi (Kino no Tabi) is really hard to translate to anime (well, too hard to adapt period), but those drawings look downright 1980s. Wilhelm's an awesome character, very cool and level headed, but he looks too generic here. Huge disappointment.

Now the good sides: seiyu cast.
Quote:
Alison Mizuki Nana
Wilhelm Kumai Motoko
I was like Kumai Motoko, who? but looked her up. She's THE Li Syaoran of CCS.

Also, the series is to air on NHK BS2 at 11pm, starting April 3rd. Cautiously hopeful.

Note: The entire website is an image! What's with the secrecy here?
Old 2008-02-09, 05:11   Link #18
navab
バースタド

Send a message via MSN to navab
Ah, they could've definitely done a better job for the art. Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to it.
navab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 07:08   Link #19
Westlo
Lets be reality

Anyone know how many series Madhouse will be working on once the Spring season starts? Last year it was 5.... I think they're working on 3 this year but I haven't exactly been keeping up with everything... those 3 being this, Himitsu Top Secret and that Maid Guy one. Anyway even with that generic art I'm still looking forward to it and the Nana Mizuki fanboy in me is cheering.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 07:48   Link #20
wao
OK.

Let's see what Madhouse has got...

Upcoming shows
Chi's Sweet Home
Allison to Lilia
Himitsu -Top Secret-
Kaiba

Ongoing shows
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Kaiji
Nougami Neuro
Mokke
Maple Story

I wouldn't be surprised if the last two or three episodes of each show is still being produced for the ongoing shows - but well... I'm just hoping Madhouse doesn't completely throw this show to the Korean studios like it does with at least one show per season but I won't hold my breath
And the character designs shown look rather meh, even as an adaptation I'm fine with the faces, but look at that right hand and the colours...

I don't even recognize the other staff except the scriptwriter, but at least the OP and ED look set to be semi-decent (hopefully) - the OP is by the Kuricorder Quartet (think something like the Emma OP, with a few other instruments) and the ED by Yukawa Shione (1st Speed Grapher ED, yay)

As for the whole thing being an image - I dunno, some Japanese websites like to do that to prevent people copying information or something. NHK in particular is rather aggressive over copyright protection, although this isn't even hosted on NHK's site but well. Allow me to roll my eyes and mutter under my breath anyway.

Tags
adventure, historical, shounen