AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-17, 17:10   Link #41
gaguri

When it was new, everyone could play it, it was just heavy to play. It made a sound at least. Now it can't make a sound.

That generally means it's broken and believe me, when Kai's friend pressed it, that piano sounded broken. It wasn't anything heavy like how normal people played it when it was originally new (from his flashback to his old days)

See the difference? When it was new = everyone could play it, it just sounded heavy. When it became old = no one could play it (except for one person), because it went cockoo

I hope that makes it easier to understand.

*what I'm ultimately trying to say is it's broken in a realistic sense, that a normal piano (although bit strange one) has become completely useless to normal users. If you're arguing for how Piano is not broken in a metaphorical sense that it just closed itself from everybody except only those who are willing to purely love music (like Kai), which just can not exist except in cartoons like this one, then yes, it's not broken.

edit:

Last edited by gaguri; 2008-03-17 at 17:22.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 17:15   Link #42
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Meh, I will full-heartedly disagree with you ^_^
I'll have to watch it again, but even when it was brand new, I'm pretty sure it made the same dull sound when other people but the teacher tried to play it. I've also played broken/out-of-tune pianos many times before, so that is why I stated that the movie is not realistic. No such piano could really be made since no pianist fitting the criteria currently exists.

So no, you did not make is easier to understand for anyone but people who believe that the piano was broken. A for effort though

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 17:24   Link #43
Teppei
Lost in the Vortex

The claim was the piano was specifically built to require a very hard playing style. So, theoretically, anyone could play it if they used the same technique. However, they piano playing takes on a symbolic meaning for Kai's talent, and since Shuuhei doesn't share that kind of talent (nor the other school kids) he wouldn't be able to play the forest piano. Ajino (who should obviously know the technique required) can no longer play because his talent was lost in his accident (or possibly from his despair). At least, that's how I interpreted it.

The idea that it would still be in tune after sitting out in the open for 10 years though is something you just have to accept as part of the movie.
Teppei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 17:26   Link #44
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

^
Yes, thank you for taking what I wanted to say and making it understandable ^_^
That's what I was trying to put across, but obviously was failing to do so.
*cookies for job well done*

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 17:30   Link #45
gaguri

What movie was trying to glorify is not the natural talent, but pure love for playing piano IMO. Kai separated Ajino not only by talent, but their different stands on music. That's why at the end, when Shuuhei asks Ajino if he could play like Kai, Ajino tells him exactly what he needed to do; love his music a bit more. It would be incredible depressing if Shuuhei doesn't have the talent and is forever doomed to play piano competition-style, that's more along the line of that piano episode in Boogiepop Phantom, where a girl cuts her wrist because she realises that she can never hope to become a pianist limited by her poor talent.

Quote:
The claim was the piano was specifically built to require a very hard playing style. So, theoretically, anyone could play it if they used the same technique.
I'm not going against that, but we're not talking about playing Piano, we're talking about just making a sound. At least people could make a sound of original one, this one is now can't. Only people like Kai, can restore it to original form. So regardless of whether Piano is really broken or alive in a cartoony way, it's broken as a physical form because it degenerated from being able to make a sound ---> can no longer make even a sound for normal users x_X
Old 2009-04-26, 01:35   Link #46
aorta

It's very hard to believe that Kai is a boy. Tomboy yes.
Old 2009-08-28, 21:54   Link #47
Theowne
耳をすませば

I'm just wondering, is a transcription of the main piano theme available? I was thinking of doing one myself, if not. It sounds a little Debussyish, but I don't recognize it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 01:52   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I'm just wondering, is a transcription of the main piano theme available? I was thinking of doing one myself, if not. It sounds a little Debussyish, but I don't recognize it.
I wonder - did you take my recommendation and watch this film?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 02:10   Link #49
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yep. Though I didn't feel it crossed into excellent territory, it was very good which is also fine. I liked all the characters, particularly Kai and Ajino-sensei. I'm very much a softie for the kind of stories like Kai's, where he comes from an unfortunate background and expresses himself through the piano.

There were some nitpicky things that bugged the piano player within me (the sound of the classroom piano, the way that the learning aspect was shown), but I've never been overtly analytical with these things anyways.

About the piano that sounds dead and clanky except when Kai plays it, that sort of thing is completely in the realm of anime and not possible in real life, in case that wasn't clear (I'm not sure reading some posts here).

The competition issue is kind of topical because there was a storm recently with the Cliburn competition. Many thought the eccentric, fresh performer was passed over for a more conventional, consistent player.

Overall, it was a nice, heartwarming, enjoyable film.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 02:41   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That about matches my reaction - very good, but with some significant warts. Sure looks beautiful, though, and the music is obviously great. I had major issues with Kai's seiyuu, personally.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 00:24   Link #51
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Man.... what can I do... despite all the production problems other people mentioned here the story completely captivated my hearth. It had been a long time since I had trembled from excitement after seeing Anime. And the continuing manga story just turbo shoots this anime story at the top of my anime list. Simply masterful. I'm crying from sheer emotion.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 15:21   Link #52
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I just watched this film now, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The "piano that can't be played by anyone else" was a bit of stretch and at first I wasn't sure if it was trying to be a part fantasy or not because it seemed totally impossible and yet everyone else like Shuhei and Ajino didn't doubt the logic behind it.

I didn't doubt Kai's gender though, but I did notice those eyelashes around halfway through and couldn't stop thinking how feminine Kai looked after that. His mum looking almost exactly like him didn't help matters either. I didn't have any problems with his seiyuu. In fact I thought it was Shuhei's seiyuu that was an issue but maybe that's because I've heard him voice older characters with the exact same voice. I still ended up feeling more sorry for Shuhei and was hoping he would win but I suppose it was exactly that competitive mindset that let him down in the end.

And I got a huge kick out of Kai's development with the Bathroom princess. That was just so adorable.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote