AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-03-31, 19:08   Link #221
wtflux

from vol9
Spoiler:

EDIT: added a bit more to the translation

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-03-31 at 19:38.
wtflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 01:33   Link #222
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtflux View Post
from vol9
Spoiler:

EDIT: added a bit more to the translation
Spoiler for response to above vol 9 revelation:

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2007-04-01 at 10:39. Reason: Now, Volume 9 spoiler warning safe!
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 03:09   Link #223
wtflux

volume9
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-01, 10:36   Link #224
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Spoiler for volume 9 spoiling question, and previous volume spoilers:
Old 2007-04-01, 18:20   Link #225
wtflux

Spoiler:

on a side note, trying to read this is magnifying my hatred for kanji and especially those who implemented it by about tenfold. i don't even want to imagine what it would be like trying to read chinese. at least they give furigana for -some- of the words.
Old 2007-04-01, 19:01   Link #226
Plant42

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for volume 9 spoiling question, and previous volume spoilers:
Spoiler:
Plant42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 19:27   Link #227
wtflux

someone should upload the color illustrations =(
i've seen the one with the three girls staring at the camera, but i'm hoping for something other than that =/

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-04-01 at 23:00.
Old 2007-04-02, 02:50   Link #228
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

While others may disagree, I for one welcome any spoilers. ^_^

I am simply voracious for any new story material, and this stuff sounds too crazy not to follow.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 06:52   Link #229
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Sweet! The story is getting to move, just when one of my friends keep on moaning and bitching about how nothing does ever happen in Haruhiverse.

The alt SOS dan thingie reminds me the other time traveller team in "Quantum Leap".

Some may say that it is jumping the shark (and that is saying w/o even actually read it), I believe that Tanigawa can pull a nice story out of it; after all "ZOMG HARUHI DISAPPEARS AND I BE IN ANOTHER WORLD" sounded like a very cheesy premise for a train-wreck, and we saw how good the author did it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 08:10   Link #230
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtflux View Post
Spoiler:

on a side note, trying to read this is magnifying my hatred for kanji and especially those who implemented it by about tenfold. i don't even want to imagine what it would be like trying to read chinese. at least they give furigana for -some- of the words.
Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 08:28   Link #231
wtflux

don't get too mad at me, because i strongly agree with your friend and i'm going to speak pretty bluntly. has no bearing on my opinion of you, i just do not think very highly of tanigawa's work as a whole anymore. he's fallen prey to the same flaws most of the other contemporary japanese manga/anime/etc. writers are =(

"ZOMG HARUHI DISAPPEARS AND I BE IN ANOTHER WORLD"
to be honest that didn't really sound very cheesy to me, and i still don't think it's very cheesy at all.

the anti-group does, however. "Oh, against all sensibility let's make it so that there just happens to be another group with complete analogues to each character(god knows why they felt the need to coincidentally band together in a group of 4, all with the same 'type' and number of super-people, despite each having background groups). an ANTI-version of the protagonists?! that's a Stephen King caliber plot twist!"

the only bad thing about the dimension-crossing idea was that you knew in the end it probably wouldn't matter, because of the way the plot has been going. it was basically tied to nothing before it. if he ended things with that, or if things drastically changed and haruhi lost her powers etc. it wouldn't fit the plot at all(think of the plot like a string, the longer tanigawa makes very little happen, the harder it is to naturally make big vibrations in the string). especially since it's another dimension, the plot could have no effect on haruhi, and thus the most it could do was make a revelation about, say, the nature of haruhi's powers or kyon's feelings for haruhi(it didnt do much for either; for the main plot, it just gave us a tidbit that haruhi's powers can be transferred).

the thing that's pissing off both your friend(i strongly suspect) and myself, is that it's blatant that tanigawa has -at least- five conflicts he can utilize to move the plot forward with EASILY at any time:

(for clarity, i identify "main plot" as haruhi's relationship with kyon(romantic plot), the nature of haruhi's powers, and what will come of those powers(together, the practical plot))

1. The fact that haruhi has everything she has asked for around her
2. Kyon's earlier "love relationship" in middle school, but
Spoiler:

3. The fact that haruhi has godlike powers
4. The fact that Kyon is John Smith
5. The dream kiss and the reality behind it

and he has used NONE of them to directly move the main plot for many novels now; notice ALL of these were introduced in the first novel.

in addition, kyon has many revelations about himself, the changes to his life, and whether or not haruhi is valuable to him(neverMIND the question of whether or not he wants her sexually or romantically; we aren't even there yet!), yet none of them are never used as anything more than methods of delivery of a basic message. i don't think any of his revelations have changed his attitude or caused actions towards haruhi.

oh, and the last two pages of vol9(GET READY, THIS IS A SHOCKER)
Spoiler:

WHEW, I'm shocked and fulfilled! The only good thing about it is that it's a different ending from how Tanigawa usually ends his novels(cliffhanger type; tanigawa almost never does cliffhangers novel-to-novel, usually when authors do things like that(if they don't always do it...) something major is coming up).

i think tanigawa, like many of his contemporaries, is scared that people will lose interest if he actually ENDS something. he doesn't have enough confidence to realize that even if he did, people will still enjoy reading about his characters if he were to publish more after doing so(full metal panic fumoffu, for example, would have worked well even if all the conflicts in the story were resolved). the fact that the plot goes nowhere and people keep reading indicates that that's the case(half of the reason I read haruhi is for the character interaction between Kyon and the other brigade members; and i don't mean in a romance sense).

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-04-02 at 09:00.
Old 2007-04-02, 08:57   Link #232
typhonsentra

Well he'd better snap out of it if what you're saying is true. People started losing interesting in Lost after teh second season. At least they finally introduced a character we've only heard of before, that's something right?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 09:06   Link #233
wtflux

yeah, and i'm not trying to say the novel and series are a complete flop. the introduction of sasaki could be huge. like i said, i haven't nearly read everything yet(just what i could find of the important-seeming parts), and i am probably completely missing the second ending from the file i have(anyone care to help?). the whole two-endings thing is completely asinine, by the way, unless he merges the endings in the next novel. reminds me of those old R.L. Stein horror books for elementary students.

Spoiler:

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-04-02 at 09:20.
Old 2007-04-02, 09:18   Link #234
John.S

ahem ... if u don't mind, short question ...
Spoiler:

thanks

Last edited by John.S; 2007-04-02 at 10:25.
John.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 09:25   Link #235
wtflux

Spoiler:

this info probably seems shaky, and don't take it to heart. i'm busy with college and it takes me a long time to read this stuff, but i'm assuming you're all just as hungry for any potential official info as i am, so i'm posting without knowing the entire picture yet.

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-04-02 at 10:16.
Old 2007-04-02, 09:43   Link #236
John.S

thx for such quick reply
more questions ...

Spoiler:

thanks

Last edited by John.S; 2007-04-02 at 10:26.
Old 2007-04-02, 10:13   Link #237
wtflux

i can't really answer those, as I'm not sure of them yet.

i can give some roundabout answers though:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-02, 10:27   Link #238
John.S

again, TFYI.
pls let us know if there's more info to share
Old 2007-04-02, 11:31   Link #239
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Spoilers from volume 9:

Spoiler for pictures:

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 13:43   Link #240
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Spoilers from volume 9:

Spoiler for pictures:

Regarding first pic, middle... That is some serious hair...

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga