AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-19, 17:24   Link #41
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

with the psx and ps2 it wasn't optional.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 17:54   Link #42
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
with the psx and ps2 it wasn't optional.
They weren't made to be media terminals like the PSP or PS3 either lol.
Old 2009-04-19, 18:04   Link #43
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

well yeah but seriously an internal hard disk for a handheld console would have caused some problems ^^;

Certainly they could have added a small internal memory space for game save files, but i think it's pretty mandatory to buy a flash card to fully enjoy a PSP, so this is a "flaw" that really doesn't bother me --;; nor anyone i know until now.

I just wish i could get my hands on that 32GB flash card now...

Old 2009-04-19, 19:28   Link #44
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I just wish i could get my hands on that 32GB flash card now...
haha... i wonder how much that would cost... probably half the price of the console

8gb sounds great... especially if you wanna store a few eps on your PSP
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 22:42   Link #45
TubZzz
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
16gb sounds good too... as a media player for music and movies.

Spoiler for O_O:
you must just sit back and look at that and go... oooh yeah 15gb free space
Old 2009-04-19, 22:58   Link #46
meh

Heheh. Looks like the price of memory cards have really dropped over the years. I remember "biting the bullet" for a 4G card back when it was something like $90. But had to since 2G cards will fit absolutely nothing.

I doubt 4G cards are still around. But it seems to me that if you're not going to be using homebrew stuff, it should suffice. Even movies that are high definition(for PSP anyway) will only take 1G of space max. And space for savedata, music, and pictures are generally negligible.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 23:18   Link #47
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
I doubt 4G cards are still around. But it seems to me that if you're not going to be using homebrew stuff, it should suffice. Even movies that are high definition(for PSP anyway) will only take 1G of space max. And space for savedata, music, and pictures are generally negligible.
A nice quality PSP-size movie wouldn't break 350 megs. If he downloads full games off PSP store though, he can chew through that space fairly quickly. There are a fair few games on PSN now, and given the option I'd rather have them on the memory stick than in UMD... much more convenient.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 00:30   Link #48
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

You think you guys spent a fortune on mem sticks? I first bought a 1 gig for like 120, then an 8 gig for like 300 when it first came out lol. I really was desperate for the 8 gig, since my 1 gig can't store some of the larger games, and can only store 1 at a time since RPGs are generally larger than 500 megs.

I was actually looking forward to a 32 gig, but now with the RPG releases slowing down to a crawl, I don't think I'm going for it. Maybe when they reach the theoritical limit of 2 tb lol, but then again at that point there will probably be a PSP2 already requiring the next gen mem cards.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 00:55   Link #49
TubZzz
*IT Support

what about the Mark 2 PRO Duos... would it be worth it for a PSP to get Mark 2?
Old 2009-04-20, 01:57   Link #50
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Like others have already stated, I strongly recommend making sure you get a PSP model that can be hacked. Piracy is only a small part of what CFW ( Custom firmware ) PSP's can do. Anyone who tells you that the only reason to use CFW is piracy has either never used CFW before or only got a small taste of it.

I'll break it down for you in a simpler way that others have not done yet on this thread.

Unhacked PSP-

-Ability to play UMD PSP games
-Ability to play Mp3 Music
-Ability to play Mp4 files encoded to fit PSP screen res.
-Ability to use a net browser, ( but with cell phone text style keyboard that takes -forever to type anything )
-Updates from Sony that don't do anything.

Hacked PSP

-Ability to play UMD PSP games
-Ability to play Mp3 Music
-Tons of Homebrew for Audio edits. Play other formats. Play music while browsing the net or simultaneously playing a game. ect. ect.
-Ability to play Mp4 files encoded to fit PSP screen res. OR use Homebrew media players to play others, including MKV, avi, OGM, ect. ect.
-Ability to use a net browser, ( but with cell phone text style keyboard that takes -forever to type anything )
-Homebrew browsers that use a Grid keyboard that doesn't suck. Links 2.0 ftw.
-Dark Alex is superior. Go Go M33 updater.
-Ability to install any Homebrew program
-You can edit f0. woot. ( this means custom startup themes and a bunch of other shit. )
-Most stuff is open source. woot.
-Plugin "popsloader" allows you to play PSX games. Alot of PSX games actually run better on the PSP then the original PS1. Go figure.
-Run games from EBOOT or ISO or CSO format from memory stick
-Handle file tree using filer or similar homebrew apps to browse your PSP root on the PSP instead of needing to hook up to your computer all the time.
-Rip ISO's from UMD's.
-Watch FLV enabled sites ( youtube, crunchyroll, ect. ) with PSP tube homebrew.
-Play Homebrew games. ( and there are a lot more then you would think )
-Emulators, lots of them. Play dead systems that cannot be commercially purchased anymore. woot.
-PSP writer - Homebrew word processor.
-Recalibrate PSP controls. ( VERY FRIGGIN USEFULL. A lot of PSP games, notably FPS shooters, have terrible default controls and do not let you config them. )
-Lua Programming.
-A lot more that I don't feel like typing.

To summarize what I am saying, a non CFW PSP is just a handheld gaming device from sony with some spicy extras. A CFW PSP is basically portable linux.

Last edited by Edgewalker; 2009-04-20 at 02:09.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 02:46   Link #51
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Anyone who tells you that the only reason to use CFW is piracy has either never used CFW before or only got a small taste of it.
You are right that I've never used CFW before and the list you;ve putted up is certainly very tempting.But you can't ignored the fact that basic reason why majority of the ignorant unwashed masses turn towards CFW is for them to get free games.

It's not that I'm a righteous bastard or anything, I just hate people who doesn't feel like footing a bit of cash out for things they enjoy.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 05:27   Link #52
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Like others have already stated, I strongly recommend making sure you get a PSP model that can be hacked. Piracy is only a small part of what CFW ( Custom firmware ) PSP's can do. Anyone who tells you that the only reason to use CFW is piracy has either never used CFW before or only got a small taste of it.

I'll break it down for you in a simpler way that others have not done yet on this thread.

To summarize what I am saying, a non CFW PSP is just a handheld gaming device from sony with some spicy extras. A CFW PSP is basically portable linux.
Well, the OP has bought the 3000 model which I believe as of now is still hack-proof. But from his posts he mainly wants to use it as a gaming/media device. Which is quite well and good just unhacked.

Although I agree that you need CFW to unlock the system to its true potential. Really most gamers don't really care about all that. Hence the reason why DS pwns PSP in the sales department despite being an inferior console. And why most of my friends own unhacked PSP/DS, not even knowing you can play games off the memory card. CFW make up only a small percentage of owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
You are right that I've never used CFW before and the list you;ve putted up is certainly very tempting.But you can't ignored the fact that basic reason why majority of the ignorant unwashed masses turn towards CFW is for them to get free games.
Is there data to support this? Or are you just making stuff up?
Old 2009-04-20, 06:10   Link #53
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Well, the OP has bought the 3000 model which I believe as of now is still hack-proof. But from his posts he mainly wants to use it as a gaming/media device. Which is quite well and good just unhacked.
No, I haven't bought it yet, this thread was for research into what I might need for my PSP. (such as the memory stick; I was unaware that the PSP can't save game save data, so things like that are nice to know before you buy the system) Still making up my mind about it, although I have yet to see any 2k models around (and the ones online I find are all more expensive than the 3k model, bleh), so I might only have the choice of the 3k model.

But yeah, I'm mostly looking into a PSP for the games, especially the JP ones, Kanon, Clannad, Macross Aces, Rockman Dash, ToLoveRu, and a ton of others I saw on Play-Asia, I just can't remember them all off the top of my head, ooh-la-la. The media stuff certainly would be nice, but the 3k model actually isn't so bad by it's specs as it can play both mp4 and avi. (and you can find just about any anime in avi despite its age) It's music playability is pretty large though, including mp3 and wav, which are really the only two types that I ever see or use. (moreso mp3 than wav)

If I see a 2k model, chances are it'll be used, which means cheaper, so I might get that just to save cash to use on other accessories and to save up for games, as it sounds like homebrew will pretty much give the 2k most of what the 3k has over it.
Old 2009-04-20, 06:53   Link #54
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
It's actually worse than a cell phone keyboard. The best keyboard emulation i've seen so far on a PSP was on a SNES emulator program. It is basically a 3x3 grid with four character in each square displaced in a cross shape. You use the mouse pad to select tone of the nine squares and then you press the corresponding button to select a letter. Simply genial, i wish the browser had this input system...

Old 2009-04-20, 08:20   Link #55
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Is there data to support this? Or are you just making stuff up?
If you must know, I work as a game purchaser for a retail chain. And I've seen the sales of my PSP Hardware plummeted when we switch from 2K to 3K completely at the end of last year. If need to, I can provide the sales data when I turn up for work the very next morning.

If the 3K model is hacked, all the more better for my hardwares sales. But it will be bad for my software side since that's where the majority of the incomes for my department lies.
Old 2009-04-20, 18:57   Link #56
jedinat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
...it sounds like homebrew will pretty much give the 2k most of what the 3k has over it.
Quote:
If the 3K model is hacked, all the more better for my hardwares sales. But it will be bad for my software side since that's where the majority of the incomes for my department lies.
The 3k model has been hacked. The first HEN (homebrew enabler) for it is (was?) supposed to be released today, and I am very impatient for it. If it doesn't come out today, it should be out very soon. It took a little working, but I got the already-released "hello world" exploit working consistently on my 3000.

(you have to put 8 images in your photo folder, plus the TIFF exploit file--with it being the image with the most recent time stamp. you then go to your photo folder on the PSP and wait for the black "options" bubble to appear and disappear, then immediately scroll down to the bottom, where the exploit should then run. It appears with the HEN that this will have to be done every time you restart your PSP, but it's not such a big deal once you've got it down)
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 20:19   Link #57
TubZzz
*IT Support

the apparent HEN for the 300x model is suppose to be released today... but it won't include ISO/CSO capabilities
Old 2009-04-21, 01:02   Link #58
meh

Quote:
If you must know, I work as a game purchaser for a retail chain. And I've seen the sales of my PSP Hardware plummeted when we switch from 2K to 3K completely at the end of last year. If need to, I can provide the sales data when I turn up for work the very next morning.

I don't understand this logic. All it says is that many people want PSP hacked. But not WHY they want the system hacked. You basically assumed "hack psp = pirate gamer", which so many posts in this thread have disproved over and over.

I know for a long time PSP had trouble with developers because people can pirate so easily. And one of the reasons why I detest pirating PSP games, as it results in less games being made. But "majority" of PSP owners is a very high and seemingly unrealistic number.
Old 2009-04-21, 01:29   Link #59
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Indeed considering that many people here are suggesting the OP to buy a PSP2000 i'm really not surprised that the PSP3000 didn't sell that good so far, the only major difference between the two is that the PSP3000 is harder to hack, why would one prefer it?

Your claim that it is only because of pirated game needs more support. I actually claim that if it wasn't for Dark Alex the whole PSP sales would have been 75% of what they are now or even lower. At least about myself i'm definitely sure i wouldn't have bought a PSP but a GP2X instead.

Old 2009-04-21, 19:14   Link #60
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

http://kotaku.com/5221988/sony-psp-p...-are-sickening

Now, if 50% or more of those modded PSP ownders actually buy some stuffs, I don't see Sony's Sales Rep actually making that kind of comment as with the case of PS1 and PS2.

One can argue about the lack of quality software on the platform, but let just see if Dissidia actually makes waves later this year as it should.