AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-01-05, 04:45   Link #41
Tenzen12

I don't see how it is overhyped. It has unconventional idea and execution that's really fits it. Characters have pretty good dynamics and while animation is not MAPPA ties, it's all hand drawn and very smooth. So far best first episode of season and I think it would be quite hard to beat.
Old 2024-01-05, 06:24   Link #42
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

LOL @ MAPPA being held up as some kind of standard of great animation.

Listen, Dungeon Meshi didn't get nominated for the Manga Taishou four years running for no reason. It's got something special going on. But it's a genuinely weird premise and even weirder execution, and it's not going to be for everybody.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-06, 05:40   Link #43
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Watched the first episode yesterday, it's good. It doesn't give off the super awesome anime of the year vibe, but just like amazing food, some dishes take a lot of time to get cooked to perfection. I think two-cour non-stop is probably enough to see the whole thing to a conclusion, provided the series doesn't get the same treatment as Helck did (i.e. padding until there's not enough time to finish).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-06, 05:46   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No way in hell is two cour enough to properly adapt all 14 volumes. The fact that so many characters who theoretically shouldn't be in the first 24 eps are in the OP is quite concerning.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-07, 00:21   Link #45
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Oh, the series is completed? Well, that's rare these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
LOL @ MAPPA being held up as some kind of standard of great animation.
If Mappa animated this, everyone would turn into sloppy joes and every movement would be overexaggerated to the point you couldn't tell what was going on.
Also ripping off other anime's movements

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-08, 08:37   Link #46
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I like the characters and animation especially since already get along but the atmosphere feels weird. The MC doesn't seem that depressed about her sister being eaten and instead feels way happy with all the meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

If Mappa animated this, everyone would turn into sloppy joes and every movement would be overexaggerated to the point you couldn't tell what was going on.
Also ripping off other anime's movements
Remember Mako and the Nudisto Beach?
Old 2024-01-08, 17:13   Link #47
Huh...?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-10, 00:50   Link #48
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Remember Mako and the Nudisto Beach?
No
It seems to be a thing on the fighter game? I've seen that thing sell of like $5 on the Switch and still have not bought it. Games that use anime IP to attract sells generally suck, so I don't even keep their existence in mind

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2024-01-11, 09:27   Link #49
Huh...?

YouTube
YouTube

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")

Last edited by Huh...?; 2024-01-11 at 10:10.
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-11, 11:53   Link #50
grecefar

I can't believe that all this time it was the snake the main body of the basilisk and the chicken was always the tail. I was so shocked.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-11, 18:55   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Marcille is the only thing keeping me from being bored out of my mind. I don't give a damn about fantasy cooking.
Old 2024-01-11, 19:32   Link #52
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Marcille is the only thing keeping me from being bored out of my mind. I don't give a damn about fantasy cooking.
I'm sure there's several isekai OP cheat ability fantasy series to choose from and occupy your time.

The fantasy monster cooking is interesting, because their party is taking a very dangerous foraging strategy to get back to Laios' sister as soon as possible before she is completely digested. They're speed-running the dungeon with minimal equipment (it was all lost in the teleport except what they were wearing), and they have to go deep. They're still very much in the safe zones according to Laios and Chilchuck this episode.

The only reason it comes off as boring is because Laios is obsessed with monsters and knows a ton about them including their tells, calls, habitats and weaknesses while Senshi already knows how to cook whatever they come across.

The group is full of idiots, but they're all really good at their specialties.

Compare the average adventurer to the pair who got wrecked by the Basilisk.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-11, 22:54   Link #53
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

Old 2024-01-12, 07:31   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I'm sure there's several isekai OP cheat ability fantasy series to choose from and occupy your time.
I never said this show was that bad. But sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I'm assuming it will improve because of how overhyped it was, but is it really so hard to conceptualize that people might find the beginning boring? All they do is hunt, cook, and eat monsters so far. I'm not into cooking anime in the first place (unless they have comedy, which Marcille is providing), so fantasy cooking is even less appealing.

For what it's worth I also did like Chilchuck and Senshi's argument, and how they reached an understanding. But Marcille is definitely the star of the show so far.
Old 2024-01-12, 10:53   Link #55
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
Compare the average adventurer to the pair who got wrecked by the Basilisk.
It's worse than that. It was a 5-man party. 3 dead, 1.5 survivors.

Quote:
I never said this show was that bad. But sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I'm assuming it will improve because of how overhyped it was, but is it really so hard to conceptualize that people might find the beginning boring? All they do is hunt, cook, and eat monsters so far. I'm not into cooking anime in the first place (unless they have comedy, which Marcille is providing), so fantasy cooking is even less appealing.

For what it's worth I also did like Chilchuck and Senshi's argument, and how they reached an understanding. But Marcille is definitely the star of the show so far.
I kinda get you. Like I said, I was let down, even though (because?) I loved the manga. I think it's the episode length. 20 minutes with two stories is maybe a bit much for early Dungeon Meshi.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-13, 21:07   Link #56
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
fantasy cooking is even less appealing.
Yeah, fantasy cooking is pretty bad. It's no different than if the author woke up and started writing about his dreams, since it's really just whatever the author says goes.
It doesn't help that most fantasy staples don't cover this topic, so there is no "Wow, that's clever to use this fantasy trope as food content"
Like Ishuzoku Reviewers using "Hot body! Use as grill!" or "Bird! Lays eggs!"
But here, we get "Mandrakes taste better if you let them scream, somehow" Uhh, okay?

Old 2024-01-14, 05:52   Link #57
ryllharu

Daikon are typically left to wilt hanging in the sun for weeks to make the standard pickles, then they're fermented. Other plants need to be boiled 3-5 times to leech the poison out before they're sauteed. Persimmons get sun-dried and frozen in the cold outdoor air to remove their astringency.

We do lots of weird things with food to make them taste just a tiny bit better.

I still perfer this type of stuff, ironically rooted more in reality, than the protagonists using an online shopping delivery teleport ability to constantly purchase plastic-bottled premade sauces.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-14, 12:02   Link #58
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
It's no different than if the author woke up and started writing about his dreams, since it's really just whatever the author says goes.
If you haven't known yet, let me tell you a secret: Stuff in fiction are all made up by the authors.

Quote:
But here, we get "Mandrakes taste better if you let them scream, somehow" Uhh, okay?
Let's ignore everything else and nitpick that one detail.
Old 2024-01-14, 19:01   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
If you haven't known yet, let me tell you a secret: Stuff in fiction are all made up by the authors.
Not in cooking anime. The fairly realistic ones, at least.
Old 2024-01-14, 21:05   Link #60
scififan

A lot of anime comments coming from people who read manga. My take is the elf in the manga looks cuter than her anime version, even drawing looks the same. May be the anime is unable to show certain charm in the manga. Too bad. I thought she could be one of the most iconic elf in anime. The warrior guy in the manga acts more like an idiot, but he is is good fighter nevertheless. The anime version doesn't show that trait. The hobbit character looks redundant in anime and manga. The dwarf is a traveling chef who acts as the mentor for the team.

The story is more like Animal Planet channel for Dungeon and Dragon than a cooking channel. It explores the biology of fantasy monsters. There are plants eating monsters and meat eating monsters. The elf's strong reaction against eating monsters is understandable. It is like some people don't eat red meat, but they consider eating seafood is fine.

Last edited by scififan; 2024-01-14 at 21:16.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, fantasy