Notices

Old 2014-09-29, 20:42   Link #5321
kakakka

Greed Island
York Shin
Heaven's Arena
Hunter Exam
Chimera Arc

Greed Island is enjoyable from start to finish that's why it's my favourite. I have nostalgia for York Shin (more than Hunter Exam. I ended up liking Madhouse's interpretation more) that it is my second. Heaven's Arena is okay, but I liked the way it feels like a reintroduction of sort (or more like the actual beginning of HXH for me, in which Hunter Exam is just an prologue or intro). Second to last is Hunter Exam. Then Chimera Arc is last because of it's length and the first half is hard to get through for me.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-30, 11:19   Link #5322
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

^ Yet you have a Pituo avatar, go figure :P
Old 2014-09-30, 12:38   Link #5323
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Greed Island, Chimera Ant,York Shin, Election arc, Hunter Exam, Heaven's Arena.

Greed Island was Hunter X Hunter's innocent themes at their best. The wide eyed marvel at discovering a new world, the tension of going against a much stronger enemy without having to risk dying (Razor) and when you are putting your life in the line (Genthru). Not to mention the delight of watching the lil kids discover and train their talents under a likeable character like Biscuit.

Chimera ant is HxH darker themes at its best. The deconstruction of everything the series 'appeared' to build upon, the despair of going against an invincible enemy, the sacrifices that had to be made to overcome the difference and the emotional pathos that came with it.

York Shin is just pure fun. Good old anti-hero Kurapika going against well developed villians. The spider gang were not good guys in most senses of the world, but that didn't prevent them from being well defined characters with their own thoughts and motivations.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-30, 21:00   Link #5324
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
^ Yet you have a Pituo avatar, go figure :P

Forgot the Election Arc, which should be tied to the last. Not to say i don't like them. I really enjoy this interpretation of HXH throughout its run.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-15, 19:21   Link #5325
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
This.

I personally found that the Chimera Ant arc overstayed its welcome and brought far too many unexplained plot devices to the table. I think that from the moment that the King enters the equation the entire arc begins to suffer. He was just far too powerful of an enemy and that brought certain undesirable qualities to the narrative in my opinion.

But, while Greed Island is my favourite arc, I'll have to add that my favourite scene is the Gon x Hisoka fight during the Heavens Arena arc. That fight was brilliant in oh so many ways.
You pretty much summed up my opinion. Greed Island was definitely the best, but Heaven's Arena was up there for me.

Chimera Ant - I would probably say is my least favorite, yes, but that doesn't mean it was bad... it's just the worst arc among a bunch of god-tier arcs. I completely agree the King was too powerful, and the arc was too long. I know this would have changed the themes significantly, but I really wish Netero and the King were on equal footing - and the King basically won because of freakish regeneration or something. Then just chop off that boring middle part of the arc, and Chimera Ant would have been pretty epic. One thing I'll say is that "inverting tropes" does nothing for me. First of all, tropes themselves mean nothing, just the quality of the story matters. Maybe if you're thoroughly immersed in the anime industry it could bring entertainment value, but I'm not, and honestly, I actually enjoy shounen tropes.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-16, 03:31   Link #5326
SHINOBI-03

Well guys, this might be my final post here so I’m getting everything out here:

Best episodes of the entire series:
  • Episode 015
  • Episode 027
  • Episode 032
  • Episode 035
  • Episode 044
  • Episode 047
  • Episode 052
  • Episode 070
  • Episode 073
  • Episode 074
  • Episode 091
  • Episode 116
  • Episode 134
  • Episode 135
  • Episode 147
  • Episode 148

Worst episodes of the entire series:
  • Episode 006
  • Episode 013
  • Episode 038
  • Episode 048
  • Episode 062
  • Episode 076

Best changes from the manga:
  • Any of the scene rearrangements to make more contained mini-arc events
  • Changing character designs from the beginning to be consistent with the later parts of the series.

Worst changes from the manga:
  • All the plot changes concerning Kite and his relationship with Gon. Obviously this is the most critical one and it did affect the impact of the Chimera Ants arc
  • Merging the cooking and sushi tests together. Not only we missed how the Hunters were handling this unfamiliar situation but we missed out the full grasp of Menchi’s character as well as Hanzo’s establishing moment.
  • Hisoka’s massacre in the Hunter Exam
  • Every awesome Leorio moment except for punching Ging in the face. But for the long time they made him too useless compared to the others.
  • Omitting Maha entirely like he doesn’t exist.
  • Omitting Kalluto’s part of Hisoka’s escape plan.
  • Abridging Greed Island’s earlier parts because it removed some depths to the game’s system and what are the possibilities that could be done in that world.
  • The lack of focus on Gairo despite giving him focus in the manga like he’s gonna play an important role in the future.

Best filler:
  • Detention room (Episode 12)
  • Canary’s flashback (Episode 24)
  • Kurapika’s encounter with Mizukin (Episode 30)
  • Zushi’s Water Divination results (Episode 37)
  • Phantom Troupe vs Shadow Beasts (Episode 45)
  • Kite’s childhood (Episode 076)

Worst filler:
  • Killua spending time in the Butler’s house while his friends are playing a life & death game with Gotoh (Episode 25)
  • Chrollo prepares his disguise (Episode 49)

Notice that I didn't have much to add for the best changes and worst filler categories. I guess that tells us how faithful this adaptation was. The worst fillers could be even considered nitpicks and not really the "worst" of all. Though the changes I still think they were terrible decisions.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-21, 14:17   Link #5327
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Shinobi, and by extension Toto Y Moi: Reading all the comparisons has been an absolute delight.

My favorite arc by far is the latter half of the Chimera Ant arc. I will however admit, that this is an acquired taste. It betrayed any and all expectations inherent to the Shonen genre. Some like me absolutely love that shit. I totally understand that not everyone enjoyed the god mode king.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 23:53   Link #5328
Archaeon

I read HxH manga before I watch the anime. Currently in episode 97. I think Pitou has been made female in the anime.

I am liking Chimera Ant arc more than when I read the manga. Not sure why is that. Anyone here felt the same way as me?
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 04:49   Link #5329
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Pitou hasn't been made anything. Her gender has never really been elaborated upon.
Old 2014-11-15, 20:08   Link #5330
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Abiru-san just can't get H x H off his mind.

Spoiler for Killuapika:

Spoiler for Jojo no Gon-san:

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2014-11-15 at 20:36.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 07:40   Link #5331
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Han Megumi went to the Hunter x Hunter booth at Jump Festa (on her own time) to write on the thank you wall and hug Gon and Killua. Gods, I love her - she's such a huge fan and so emotional about H x H.
Old 2014-12-21, 16:13   Link #5332
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Han Megumi went to the Hunter x Hunter booth at Jump Festa (on her own time) to write on the thank you wall and hug Gon and Killua. Gods, I love her - she's such a huge fan and so emotional about H x H.
The more I read about her the more I admire her commitment to the series.
Old 2014-12-21, 16:29   Link #5333
Ryuga

Megumi Han is amazing. The work she put into Gon, you know she loves voicing him.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 03:25   Link #5334
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Maybe Gon is like the little brother she never had?

Or maybe he's like one she actually has?
Old 2015-04-24, 07:08   Link #5335
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So I visited a place called Ogijima today - a small island off Takamatsu, in Kagawa. It's great - gorgeous, lots of trees and flowers and a postcard village and lighthouse. But does this pic I took on the way in remind you of anything?

Old 2015-04-25, 07:46   Link #5336
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I suppose the question then is:

Did you drop by and say hello to Mito-san?
Old 2015-04-25, 15:58   Link #5337
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That's pretty cool. I already knew the guy was known for basically taking real world locations and turning them upside down or inside out or w/e but still pretty cool.
Old 2015-04-25, 23:31   Link #5338
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
That's pretty cool. I already knew the guy was known for basically taking real world locations and turning them upside down or inside out or w/e but still pretty cool.
Especially as I had no idea of the resemblance - I was visiting for other reasons. And it could be a complete coincidence, but... wow.

I saw nothing that looks like Mito's house, but I did see a lot of local Obaa-san's puttering in gardens and fields and laundry hanging out to dry.
Old 2015-04-26, 06:27   Link #5339
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I suppose the question then is:

Did you drop by and say hello to Mito-san?
I wonder if Enzo went fishing
Old 2015-04-26, 10:47   Link #5340
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nope, just hiking and caving. Didn't see any stores selling Joystations either...

Tags
action, shounen