AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-01-17, 01:42   Link #141
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm convinced he doesn't want that on his shoulders, whatever you may think about his reasons. The big one will be if it passes Spirited Away in Japan itself.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 02:01   Link #142
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Watched it in theatres back in december. Loved it enough to see it a second time before there were no more showings in irelanf. And loved it enough that when my 9 hour flight had it showing i spent most of the flight looking at it over and over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I certainly agree that 5 CM is Shinkai's best work
And i really expect most 5cm/s lovers won t be fully satisfied by this film. He said in a Q&a in LA he wanted this movie to be the opposite of what anyone expected him to do . You said before he was more of a visual poet than prose. Well guess what he just mastered prose!
I never thought i d see a shinkai movie that can be fast pasted Comedic with a feel good ending but he proved me wrong. He even made me laugh at boob jokes!
But long time shinkai lovers might feel a bit lost by this change.
Old 2017-01-17, 11:56   Link #143
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I consider myself a long-time Shinkai lover, and I don't think I felt lost. I mean, he has tried the prosaic approach before with Lost Voices - it's just that he executed it better this time. And this was more tangibly in his own voice as opposed to an attempt to mimic Miyazaki's. So in that sense, it didn't feel that unexpected to me - certainly not the opposite of what I would have expected.

That said, I still consider 5 CM the better film on the whole. Your Name would be strongly in the running for the #2 spot in the Shinkai catalog for me, but it's not all that close to the top. Just my personal opinion.
Old 2017-01-17, 12:18   Link #144
AB079
Banned

It is already confirmed Kimi no Na Wa surpassed Spirited Away and now the 1st place belongs to Shinkai. What I don't get is the amount of butthurt out there.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 14:04   Link #145
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
It is already confirmed Kimi no Na Wa surpassed Spirited Away and now the 1st place belongs to Shinkai. What I don't get is the amount of butthurt out there.
It's only in global sales. Spirited Away is still #1 in Japan. Anime wasn't as widespread or available when Spirited Away was released so this doesn't really mean anything.

Finally! Shinkai's 'your name.' Anime Film Opens in Theaters in U.S., Canada on April 7

Quote:
Funimation Films announced on Tuesday that it will open Makoto Shinkai's your name. anime film in theaters in the United States and Canada on April 7. Funimation will host film screenings in both the original Japanese with English subtitles and an English dub.

Funimation also revealed that the band RADWIMPS is creating all-new English-language versions of the songs it produced for the original film that will be featured in the English-dubbed version of the film. RADWIMPS lead singer Yojiro Noda spent part of his childhood in the United States. RADWIMPS composed over 22 tracks for your name.'s soundtrack, as well as the film's theme songs "Zen Zen Zense (movie ver.)," "Sparkle," "Yume Tōrō (movie ver.)," and "Nandemo Ii ya (movie edit/movie ver.)."
They're even dubbing the songs.
Old 2017-01-17, 14:37   Link #146
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

That's the next best thing to a BD release. Going to see if I can get a group of friends to check this one out
Old 2017-01-17, 15:31   Link #147
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't find anything more detailed directly from Funimation yet, but that "Funimation will be hosting" is a bad sign for anything resembling a wide release. I'd love to see YN rolled out to at least a few hundred screens over a few weeks given its global success, especially if (unlikely) it gets an Oscar nomination. But Funi is not really equipped to handle anything on that scale.
Old 2017-01-17, 15:56   Link #148
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

holy mother of god
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 16:51   Link #149
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
It's only in global sales. Spirited Away is still #1 in Japan. Anime wasn't as widespread or available when Spirited Away was released so this doesn't really mean anything.

Finally! Shinkai's 'your name.' Anime Film Opens in Theaters in U.S., Canada on April 7

They're even dubbing the songs.
What you mean "it doesn't mean anything if it not in japan"?

It still a success and something that Miyazaki haven't able to replicate since sprited away. And is not even out in US yet.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 17:48   Link #150
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Comparing global box office for anime today to when Spirited Away was released really is apples and oranges. Not only is there inflation (which is non-existent in Japan) to consider, but anime has a much more established global presence, especially in Europe (partly thanks to Miyazaki). In Japan, the domestic box office is the record that really matters - and the one that Shinkai doesn't want to be saddled with.

As for the Funi distribution , their official release does say "across the United States and Canada" so let's hope for the best. Looks like they're going to have English dubs of all the songs, too.
Old 2017-01-17, 18:31   Link #151
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

I am planning to see this just hope there is a subtitled release in my neighborhood.
Kamijou Touma IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 19:23   Link #152
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Comparing global box office for anime today to when Spirited Away was released really is apples and oranges. Not only is there inflation (which is non-existent in Japan) to consider, but anime has a much more established global presence, especially in Europe (partly thanks to Miyazaki). In Japan, the domestic box office is the record that really matters - and the one that Shinkai doesn't want to be saddled with.

As for the Funi distribution , their official release does say "across the United States and Canada" so let's hope for the best. Looks like they're going to have English dubs of all the songs, too.
Then why Ghibli & Miyazaki cannot regain the same success of Spirited Away in current market?

Is true that Spirited can be more successful in current market. I am not saying that we should compare Shinkai to Miyazaki in term of movie quality. they are different thing. What I am saying is that Your name achieve great achievement that Ghibli & Miyazaki failed to reproduced. That is something Shinkai should be proud off.

Old 2017-01-24, 21:15   Link #153
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Looks like the movie didn't make the cut for oscar nominations.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 21:28   Link #154
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
To be honest the Oscars nominations are bullshit, they're just pushing Zootopia everywhere as the winner even when there are better contenders.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 23:16   Link #155
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I knew it :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Considering how ignorant the Oscar judges are when it comes to animation (like what's been exposed in the last decade), I doubt it.
Don't worry. Oscar is not the be-all-end-all of recognition, especially for anime.
Old 2017-01-25, 19:15   Link #156
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
To be honest the Oscars nominations are bullshit, they're just pushing Zootopia everywhere as the winner even when there are better contenders.
You mean that movie I don't give a damm about to watch it?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-31, 07:40   Link #157
Liddo-kun
is this so?

A cosplayer friend asked me to watch this... got bored at the first 10 or 15 min of Kimi no Nawa. But glad that I didn't stop watching.
After watching it to the end.. I would agree now that this movie is indeed amazing.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-31, 18:59   Link #158
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Suzuki and Miyazaki reaction

Seem they quite impressed. at least Miyazaki don't throw his usual harsh comment

Old 2017-02-01, 15:41   Link #159
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Suzuki and Miyazaki reaction

Seem they quite impressed. at least Miyazaki don't throw his usual harsh comment
I think Suzuki-san just nailed what a Makoto Shinkai movie is better than I ever could: "It's made so that all the characters in the drama, lines, and music make the background stand out."
Old 2017-02-01, 18:39   Link #160
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think Suzuki-san just nailed what a Makoto Shinkai movie is better than I ever could: "It's made so that all the characters in the drama, lines, and music make the background stand out."
Given that Miyazaki's affinities with animism permeate his works and seem in many respects similar to Shinkai's it is important to articulate something like that.

The natural elements are frequently characters in the works of Ghibli and Shinkai. In their own right. As agents of change in human existence. Natural elements are also anthropomorphised/mirrored in the cast of their works as "People" acting as natural elements personified. Other times human cast members are acting on behalf of, and/or in opposition to, the natural world they inhabit.

Arguably Shinkai comes closer to tying that all together in Kimi no na Wa than in his previous works. He might even object, to some extent, to labelling it "background" like that, though technically -from an animation point of view- it is. The "background", the setting, has always been an integral part of his work - an actor in his work. Virtually created to preserve the image, the atmosphere, the spirit of the place.

It is interesting to see Suzuki condensing into a single sentence what he himself has facilitated expanding for most of his life. Very nice highlight.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote