AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-04-18, 12:55   Link #6301
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

Yeah, it's Sony who is the real problem with getting the PS3 version over here officially. I've seen many Visual Novels I've wished would get a localization come and go. It was rather naive of people to think Umineko would be special or different.

All the same, I own the PS3 version just for collections sake and I cannot read it. Therefore, I am glad somebody is making a patch for the PC. It means I'll actually be able to read what I paid money for. But, again, this is not a very appropriate place to have such conversations. Should probably just stick to the 100% legal stuff here.

Mostly because I don't want too much attention drawn to the PS3 patch. Don't want problems to arise until it's finished!
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 19:08   Link #6302
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesengirz View Post
ZzzzzzzzZzz Fan translation its serious bussines, I mean, the guy just ripped the BGM,OST,VOICES, etc and wanted to make a patch to get a best experience in the PC version, I mean, most of the people that i know here, (you know who you are) download the friking game instead of buying it, and then, they come here and download the patch and enjoy,
I don't see much of a difference regarding the ps3 version, as many of you know it's now hackeable and i admit i downloaded it and have been playing the ps3 version, so what's the difference now? Lol
If you ask me, it's a bad idea to openly discuss shoplifting when you're standing in a retail store. If you don't have enough respect to buy the game, at least keep quiet about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Problem is more fundamental.
SCEA's president doesn't want VNs ported to NA PS3.
So there's just no chance unless it became suddenly overly popular.
If it was a psp game, it'd be much easier.
Hell of a shame, considering how games like Ace Attorney and 999 are already cult hits. Obviously you've got the puzzle-solving gameplay there, but somebody really ought to take a chance with "real" VNs.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 07:40   Link #6303
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Hell of a shame, considering how games like Ace Attorney and 999 are already cult hits. Obviously you've got the puzzle-solving gameplay there, but somebody really ought to take a chance with "real" VNs.
Especially VNs like Umineko, as they're essentially "puzzle games of the mind". They just assume people need concrete actions to solve puzzles. Do you play puzzle games only for the fun of moving things around on a touch screen, or are you interested in the mental challenge? Games like Professor Layton do provide both, but Sony shouldn't be so strict about it. Maybe it's the stigma of a VN being a dating game, who knows.

A question to Witch-Hunt, how long after the full EP8 translation are you planning to provide an updated patch for the Question Arcs (I guess Tsubasa might come first as well)? I'll try to make some people start reading it, but I think the corrections to the epitaph discussion and such would be nice, if not for anything else but to avoid contradictions later on.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 17:03   Link #6304
ghost_zero5

Regarding this matter:
How far is the Ep8 translation (the News page of Witch-Hunt hasn't been updated for quite a while, so those percentages are definitely not correct anymore).
If it is even possible to give an estimation...
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 03:58   Link #6305
Vampe
Otaku Witch of Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Regarding this matter:
How far is the Ep8 translation (the News page of Witch-Hunt hasn't been updated for quite a while, so those percentages are definitely not correct anymore).
If it is even possible to give an estimation...
i can give you a 100% accurate prediction, they will complete the translation when they complete the translation XD

Putting jokes aside, im starting to experience Withdrawal symptoms so is there going to be a patch any time soon or should i find another way to get my injection of umineko? (i want to know if its faster to w8 for patch or learn to read Japanese :P)
Vampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 05:15   Link #6306
moichispa
Endless witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampe View Post
i can give you a 100% accurate prediction, they will complete the translation when they complete the translation XD

Putting jokes aside, im starting to experience Withdrawal symptoms so is there going to be a patch any time soon or should i find another way to get my injection of umineko? (i want to know if its faster to w8 for patch or learn to read Japanese :P)
Maybe if you had started learning (working everyday, of course) at the time of Legend release you may be able to understand it now with a dictionary.

Really if my theory of Umineko fans staying on other fandoms while there is no umineko is right I guess that there will be a lot of people in your situation since yesterday.
Old 2011-04-23, 08:32   Link #6307
Vampe
Otaku Witch of Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by moichispa View Post
Maybe if you had started learning (working everyday, of course) at the time of Legend release you may be able to understand it now with a dictionary.

Really if my theory of Umineko fans staying on other fandoms while there is no umineko is right I guess that there will be a lot of people in your situation since yesterday.
actually i was making fun of those who cant live without it, i have lots of other things to keep me occupied, so ill survive.

For example i have work between 8-17 mon-fri, and there is a loot of good anime out there w8ing to be watched
Vampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 09:25   Link #6308
moichispa
Endless witch

Yeah life is life but would you mind about the anime out here the day you have the episode translated? Did you minded with past ones?
Old 2011-04-24, 13:05   Link #6309
imnafoy

Send a message via ICQ to imnafoy
Well I hope that EP8 patch will NOT be released earlier than in middle of June. Or I'll fail this semester.
imnafoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 13:09   Link #6310
FrostbiteKelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnafoy View Post
Well I hope that EP8 patch will NOT be released earlier than in middle of June. Or I'll fail this semester.
+1
Totally agree
FrostbiteKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 15:25   Link #6311
sn0w75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostbiteKelvin View Post
+1
Totally agree
+1 :P
Just finished playing the PS3 version (I can read Japanese, so I grabbed myself a PS3 and Umineko PS3 for Christmas ^.^). It's beautifully well done. Yes, some may miss Ryuukishi's drawing style every once in awhile, but that's mostly washed away by the appreciation of seeing everything in HD quality.

The voice acting is top-notch; The CGs are an awesome addition, and help you visualize the island better. Unlocking Umineko Achievements are kind of fun (especially the
Spoiler for Umineko PS3 Achievements:
); The rumble of the controller is a nice little extra;

Also, the final CG you unlock after unlocking all of the achievements is great. Definitely worth the 131 hrs. it took me to complete.

It's a complete package, and it does not shame the original in any way.

For those of you eyeing the PS3->PC patch....hmm...I have to agree, it's a tough decision to make there. For me, I bought/played all the Umineko PC games and used the WH English patches first, then bought the PS3 game and played through them again in Japanese.

I had been buying each episode for awhile (ep. 5, 6), but then missed out on ep. 7. I recently grabbed ep. 8 and tsubasa, but it doesn't look like there's an ep. 8 compatible ep. 7 patch out yet. DARN. Waiting patiently though~ can't wait to see how much of my deducing is right (The mirror on the drawer in my room is covered with sticky notes I took while playing through eps. 1-4 around 4-5 times XD).
Old 2011-04-24, 16:43   Link #6312
immblueversion

If there's anything I like about When They Cry, it's the voice actors they pick. They're usually cast in roles that are outside the type of roles they're known for, which gives me a deeper appreciation for their talent and their ability to avoid being typecast.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 17:21   Link #6313
Sheep_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0w75 View Post

Also, the final CG you unlock after unlocking all of the achievements is great. Definitely worth the 131 hrs. it took me to complete.
Whats the CG? I've been trying for months to get everything unlocked but it keeps telling me I haven't unlocked all the tips, or character info after I've read each ep at least two times.
Old 2011-04-25, 17:42   Link #6314
sn0w75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep_ View Post
Whats the CG? I've been trying for months to get everything unlocked but it keeps telling me I haven't unlocked all the tips, or character info after I've read each ep at least two times.
Oh, that's probably b/c you haven't read the character info for when they're dead. Go into Characters, and press...I think it was square? To 'kill' off the character (and then see the new character info for when they're dead). For tips, just go into the Tips for each chapter and make sure none of the items say "New!".

I also had an issue where I hadn't gotten the achievements for reading eps 1 and 2 all the way through (even though I had). So I just put it on fast forward + play (R1 and R2 buttons) and let it play through those two episodes again. It worked (and quite quickly too, it was able to go through an episode in around 2-4 minutes).

The CG you unlock is:
Spoiler for Umineko PS3 CG:
Old 2011-04-28, 19:23   Link #6315
Madman6510
Child of Man

To add to the above, you may also have to "kill" them multiple times, if they kept the character info the same as in the PC version. One state is alive, then one dead, and sometimes there will be a "missing, presumed dead" state depending on the arc.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 21:36   Link #6316
immblueversion

There is also another that's easy to miss one:

Try going to the "????" for EP1 and open the TIPS, where you can find TIPS for Beatrice and Bernkastel, which can both be "Executed."

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 23:43   Link #6317
guro
I like ice cream.

I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!! Oh why oh why do I never study for kanji?! It's the only reason I can't read umineko without a translation. I wish so bad it had that furigana stuff. blehhhhhhhh. Maybe I better just pull out my kanji dictionary =|
guro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 03:19   Link #6318
Kylon99

You can use several programs to hook out the text from the game and have it automatically parsed and fed into a dictionary lookup. It's explained in my signature link.

It's good for if you already know Japanese but just need help with kanji lookups. Just don't use the automatic translators unless you want a horribly inaccurate yet absolutely hilarious episode 8. 8)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 13:01   Link #6319
aoiakari

I decided I couldn't wait any longer last week so I used translation aggregator and it really worked out well. I've only been taking Japanese for a year, but as long as you have that basic knowledge of grammar and can read hiragana and katakana then you should be fine. It definitely takes more effort than just reading it in English, but hey, I learned some new vocabulary and grammar so that's definitely a plus!
aoiakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 18:55   Link #6320
Madman6510
Child of Man

I wonder if it's possible to run a script that pulls out ALL the text in the story, then you can run that through Google Translate and put that back in.

Be an interesting/hilarious exercise in machine translation. Umineko - Engrish version.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation