Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-03, 15:33   Link #1
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
PSP anime-type recommendations?

There was probably a few topics like this before but everyone has asked a different genre so this topic may be valid, but if it's not, moderator will delete it of course.

I bought PSP a few days ago and I was wondering in asking you nice folks a few games, with anime look/feel and genre including RPGs, horror, tactics, action, adventure, platformers and similar or combined, that you think was good to recommend me. Non-anime games are alright as well.

Few sample of games that I own and liked:

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core
Star Ocean: First Departure
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Bleach: Heat the Soul 6
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X

Thank you in advance.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:53   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

Here are some suggestions:

Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light: This game has poor controls which are non-customizable. However, it does feature voiced-dialogue and also a dual-audio option. Its a RPG game.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: There is a huge anime series that goes by the same name. This game is a FPS which has difficult non-customizable controls in which the d-pad is used to look up and down, left and right, while the mini-joystick is used for movements. However, most FPS games on handhelds like the PSP and DS are played like that. Killzone isn't which is much better but that isn't anime. Somehow, in this game.. You play as the female protagonist of the series, Major Kusanagi but you do get to customize the tiny blue robot, Tachikoma. I didn't like the controls so I didn't get very far in the game.

Phantasy Star Portable: This game has similar controls as Ghost in the Shell but the gameplay is really good, lots of customizable features. Its like PSU but fully-voiced and a lot more items and equipment. However, you will not get any room decorations as that there is no room to look at, instead its a menu. The story takes place somewhere before PSU2 and PSU1, as well as after PSU2. I am also in the middle of the game, so not much clue.. Sorry!

Star Ocean: Second Evolution: This is the sequel to the first game and it does not feature any save game conversions as that the protagonist of this series is actually the son of Ronyx, one of the members of the first game. Actually, there is two protagonists in this game, you can also pick as the female lead. The recruitable characters are slightly different.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:56   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm...
Astonishia story-tactics
Mana-Khemia:student alliance-RPG <-doesn't have an anime but is still #1 on my list
Neverland card battles-TCG
Coded arms-FPS, non-anime
There's also a naruto beat-em-up whose title I'm forgetting, and keep an eye out for Final fantasyissidia which is due shortly!

Btw, you say you bought your PSP a few days ago, how in blazes did you manage to finish even one of those huge games? 0_0

EDIT: blade dancer is enormous, you're better off with kingdom of paradise unless you got seriously lots of free time.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:42   Link #4
Crimrui
Hollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Btw, you say you bought your PSP a few days ago, how in blazes did you manage to finish even one of those huge games? 0_0
Ehh... I didn't. I have them but I didn't finished them all (actually FFVII:Crisis Core is the only one I fully finished, but I had a good deal of time on my hands at the moment) but I know they are great as I fallowed their progress and watched trailers before or I played a few minutes to get a feel of the game

Thanks a lot Kafriel and Shadow Kira01 for the suggestions. I'll check them out =)

Last edited by Crimrui; 2009-08-03 at 17:04.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:08   Link #5
jedinat

Pangya Fantasy Golf is a great arcade golf game with anime style characters. Lots of unlockable clothing items and such.
Riviera, from what I played of it wasn't bad, especially if you're looking for something anime-ish. The dialogue is fully voiced in Japanese.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:09   Link #6
micheut

If you like 'old fashioned' turn-based rpg's, anime Style, with chars that don't look like dwarfs. You should try out Brave Story. It's by far my favourite psp game.

It's about this girl that strangly falls into a sort of coma and her friend (you) gets the opertunity to save her. To do that you'll have to go to another world and face great danger to reach the Goddess that can fulfill your wish.

The gameplay is 'borrowed' by the Original Final Fantasy series. Which means classic turn based battles, strange but fun minigames and a simple levelling system.

It bothered me that lots of turn based rpg's had midgets as characters until I found this one. Very nice!
Old 2009-08-03, 17:28   Link #7
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Disgaea 2 RPG - Stating the obvious.
Monster hunter Freedom Unite RPG- Your unique RPG, quite difficult to get hang off.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:31   Link #8
P99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Hmm...
Astonishia story-tactics
[B]Mana-Khemia:student alliance[/B]-RPG <-doesn't have an anime but is still #1 on my list
Neverland card battles-TCG
Coded arms-FPS, non-anime
There's also a naruto beat-em-up whose title I'm forgetting, and keep an eye out for Final fantasyissidia which is due shortly!

EDIT: blade dancer is enormous, you're better off with kingdom of paradise unless you got seriously lots of free time.
I second this. One of my favorites.
Old 2009-08-04, 08:22   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Riviera, from what I played of it wasn't bad, especially if you're looking for something anime-ish.
A very good game as long as you don't read any walkthroughs and don't plan on getting 100% in one run (because it's impossible ). The only downside is the limited inventory compared to the importance of items.
Another fun tactics game is Yggdra Union, the PSP version got a hard difficulty as well
Old 2009-08-04, 08:44   Link #10
Galatea33
the opposing wind

Send a message via Yahoo to Galatea33
Try B-Boy, it's like Tony Hawk only it's a break dancing game

* Read da sig and do it! Cos' Ophelia says sO
Old 2009-08-04, 15:57   Link #11
menuwa
Game Addict

Send a message via MSN to menuwa
Gundam SEED Rengou vs Zaft Portable - a Mech game based on Gundam SEED. [JAP only]
Macross Ace Frontier - a nice mech game with a good campaign mode. [JAP only]
Final Fantasy Dissidia - a very addictive real-time fighting game, with the characters of most of the main characters in the Final Fantasy series. [JAP only, ENG version coming out august]
Old 2009-08-04, 16:39   Link #12
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

You might like Jeanne d'arc. It's a tactics game similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. Speaking of which...

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. That's another tactics game, it's a remake of Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX game), except with crappier translations, immense lag, and online play.
Old 2009-08-04, 17:40   Link #13
Crimrui
Hollow

Ok, thanks a lot everybody for the suggestions. I hope you all received rep+ from me, if I missed someone he/she should remind me to do so, and please forgive me.

Here we go, from all those games I figured that the fallowing games should made it's way in ''must have'' list.

Blade Dancer - looks awesome, just the type of RPG I need. Was sniffing around too much about the info and had myself spoiled about the ending. That should teach me a lesson not to look too ''deep''. In any case, checked to get.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - fan of the anime and movies so I'll probbably look into it later. Played the one for ps2 and was alright.

Phantasy Star Portable - played the one for ps2, it was pretty good and this one looks even better. Checked to get.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution - sequel should come afterwards right? Looks better then the previous one. Must buy.

Astonishia story - Another RPG, you can never have enough of them. Will get it eventually.

Mana-Khemia: Student Alliance - is this a port form ps2? I have the game for that console already. Awesome stuff, second game is just around the corner.

Neverland card battles
- I saw a couple of bad reviews of this game, but that never stopped me not to enjoy it if I like it. Looks promising indeed.

Pangya Fantasy Golf
- I was planning to get it, it looks really neat, love the gameplay. Chedked to get

Riviera
- yummy looking. Checked to get.

Brave Story
- good graphics but that was never an important part in my life of gaming. Story, atmosphere, gameplay and characters is all that matters. Looks neat.

Disgaea 2 - yup. Waiting for it

Monster hunter Freedom Unite - looks more of an online type of game that one could enjoy then offline Neat but it won't be among my new purchase.

Yggdra Union
- I think I saw and played it a bit on GBA...maybe. I'm still kinda thinking about this.

B-Boy
- Thanks but not really a fan of any kind of sport things, even dancing

Gundam SEED Rengou vs Zaft Portable
- Gundam fan, will get it for sure, but a bit later.
Macross Ace Frontier - Ahh, nice to hear Sheryl singing while you're battling. Macross fan, checked to get
Final Fantasy Dissidia - Should wait for the English release maybe? But yeah I was planning in getting this.

Jeanne d'Arc
- Intriguing, I like the gameplay and the style. Checked to get.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions - Not sure about getting a remake with little additions. Maybe later but thanks.

Pretty good list thanks to you guys. If only I had THAT muh money to buy it all at once. Oh well, with work I'll get one by one eventually
Old 2009-08-04, 18:39   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Here's another vote for Yggdra Union.
Old 2009-08-05, 00:28   Link #15
P99

If you like older games, you could get Final Fantasy 1 and 2. They dont have the best animation, but it is cool to see how much the game has evolved.
Old 2009-08-05, 04:11   Link #16
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Yggdra Union - I think I saw and played it a bit on GBA...maybe. I'm still kinda thinking about this.
If the GBA version wasn't your thing, you won't enjoy this one much more...
Quote:
Mana-Khemia: Student Alliance - is this a port form ps2? I have the game for that console already.
There is a PS2 version indeed but I'm not sure if it's the same.
Old 2009-08-05, 05:36   Link #17
micheut

Wow nearly forgot. For the ultimate Anime experience on psp, just wait until september. Shin Megami Tensei (Persona) wil be aired. It'll be a remaked port from the psx game. Remaked because rumors and betatesters say it is the best version of Shin Megami Tensei ever.

You shoul at least watch a trailer : o)

Have fun
Old 2009-08-06, 14:59   Link #18
menuwa
Game Addict

Send a message via MSN to menuwa
Ah, there's a new PSP game with an anime style/feeling:

Tales of VS. - An addicting fighting game which you can play non-stop for hours, I tried it, and it's definitely worth it Tales of VS. has good movements, animations and combos!
Old 2009-08-22, 12:54   Link #19
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreape98 View Post
You might like Jeanne d'arc. It's a tactics game similar to Final Fantasy Tactics.
And it has actual anime cut-scenes (about 10-15 minutes or so total) which was produced so well you'd almost think you were watching a real anime episode!
Old 2009-08-22, 13:48   Link #20
Ratche
~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to Ratche
Try Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen!