AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-04, 14:02   Link #121
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Holy shit! Oh no, Kurumada's Saint Seiya is the best in my point of view (but I know, some fools prefer Lost Canvas , oh oh don't kill me it's a joke ).

Well I speak about the anime, because the manga is very ugly...

The anime is awesome (i speak about Sanctuary arc, Asgard Arc and Hadès/Sanctuary arc) with beautiful chara design (gold saints are awesome), incredible soundtrack, very good fights, charismatic character (Asgard arc has the best background in Saint Seiya in my point of view and it is a filler arc, each character has a background), and some instants of emotion are unforgettable (Hyoga vs Camus, Shura vs Shiryu, Kanon vs Milo, Shaka vs Saga/Camus/Shura ...).

So in my opinion, Saint Seiya anime is a must watch (except Poseidon, Hades inferno and Elysion).

Lost Canvas isn't bad but not as impressive as Saint Seiya original anime (this one had so much impact in my country ^^).
And yeah, there are a lot of bishounen in Lost Canvas, but they have so much elegence . Well if you speak about Aldebaran (Rasgado), he's not a bishounen . An interview of Teshirogi reveals that there is a lot of female readers.
I agree with you about Aya Hirano, I HATE HER!!!! I HATE HER OK??!!!

If you read Lost Canvas manga/scans or watch Saint Seiya original anime, you saw that Lost Canvas OAV's cloth aren't as elaborate as them, in my opinion (well it's coherent because it's an anime..).

Old 2009-07-04, 14:25   Link #122
Goblinator

Lol, the bishounen style is kinda driving me away from this one. I used to watch Saint Seiya as a kid. I haven't watched everything, but I've been quite familiar with the series for years now, so maybe I should get my ass down and watch all the episodes.

Anyway, I'm expecting Unicorn Yato kicking ass. Unicorn Jabu was such a let down in the original Saint Seiya and I thought he would be a main bronze saint considering he's Unicorn and Seiya is Pegasus. I mean, the last 5 bronze saints still managed to get their armour out of 100 I think, so it's a shame that they were not developed at all.

Oh and is it as hot blooded as the original one? Yeah it was repetitive, but Seiya kicked so much ass like that. It was fun to watch.
Goblinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 15:14   Link #123
paladinenvec

It may have a "bishonen" design but the action an epicness of each fight(specially gold saints fights) make it a pure shounen manga =).
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 15:24   Link #124
Goblinator

the original saint seiya was pretty epic for its time.
Goblinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 15:38   Link #125
Albafica
Pisces no saint

There are some bishounen too in the original one like Misty, Aphrodite, Shun, Shion or Mu. Well I love this kind of character, they have an elegence, but i love character like Dokho (Look at Hades sanctuary) or Milo too.
In Lost Canvas, there are bishounen like Albafica (Pisces), and there are characters like Rasgado (Taurus).

Lost Canvas and the original have their epic moments.

Quote:
as hot blooded as the original one
I don't understand the expression, you speak about Seiya (and others bronze saints) who stand up everytime against their ennemies? If it's that, yeah that was very repetitive in Saint Seiya original, and that's why Poseidon is so boring in my point of view. There are some moments like that in Lost Canvas, when Tenma fights.
Fights with Gold Saints are quite differents.
Old 2009-07-04, 16:21   Link #126
Jehuty

the original St Seiya was pretty awesome not only because of the storyline, but because of the evolution the cloths had throughout the series. The design just kept becoming more polished, more beautiful and yet slightly simplistic.

The Gold Saints -are- the best, but in the original series they were not served the justice they should've had. Lost Canvas takes care of that though, by making each and every battle epic.

I also wish they'd somehow remake the Asgard saga, it's quite possibly the best filler I've seen from any anime, period. You'd almost think that Poseidon was the filler, not Asgard, heh

What I like about Lost Canvas so much more than the original series, the recent movie and recent hades saga animation, is that this time the Gold Saints are truly given the respect they deserve. There are no "evil gold saints", there are no "oh I'll just side with whoever's winning" and there is no "save Athena before the sunset's here!1!!1!one"

No, it's really all the Gold Saints' story - Tenma is the main character yes, but the Gold Saints are the ones that take the spotlight. I have been wanting this for so long - I've been wanting the Gold Saints to fight with everything they have, no longer holding back.

Hades never did that. They even messed up the reunion between Aioros and Aioria, which in my mind was unforgivable.

BTW, Albafica, in one of the scans you posted earlier, where there's a "graveyard" of the cloths.. I think I say Cygnus!!! It was on the left side of the image. You can kind of see its head and wings.
Old 2009-07-04, 17:16   Link #127
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Agreed with Jehuty, the Gold Saints really get to shine (unintended pun) in Lost Canvas. Although they had their moments of glory in the old serie and in other OVAs, I'd say that in terms of badassery some of the Lost Canvas Gold Saints are even better than Kurumada's ones.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 17:55   Link #128
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
@Albafica

Everyone has their favorites, in the old Seiya my were Mu, Camus, Milo and Kanon but here, so far, I'm all for Shion and Degel ( even though I didn't see him yet in manga I like Aquarius techniques in general like Diamond Dust). As I read more manga and see OVA I'll probably have more.

Spoiler for character from OVA intro:

Spoiler for character in OVA intro2:
Old 2009-07-04, 18:14   Link #129
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Pretty much all of the Gold Saints are badass in Lost Canvas. Some of them even unpredictably, when you think about their "present" counterparts (Cancer Manigoldo > Cancer Deathmask, Pisces Albafica > Pisces Aphrodite, heck even Sisyphus is badass ).
Old 2009-07-04, 18:36   Link #130
Jehuty

Definitely, Shinndou.

I mean, this is what the Gold Saints are supposed to represent -- they're the "OMG I'M GONNA DIE " force in Athena's army. They're the highest ranked, of all the saints -- and this anime finally shows us why.

Kurumada's Saints were awesome... Well, Kurumada is still writing Lost Canvas, but coupled with the new artist rendition of them -- it makes this all the better.
Old 2009-07-04, 19:14   Link #131
Used Can

Kurumada isn't writing it. Lost Canvas, on its entirety, is Teshirogi's own work (based on the former's manga, yes).

Anyway, I agree on LC's Gold Saints being superior to the ones in the original. I think the only exception would be Virgo Shaka (and perhaps Gemini Saga and Leo Aiolia - I'm saying this because I haven't seen their LC's counterparts yet. Well, I've seen Gemini's, but what I've seen is not enough to have an idea; although, he's quite wicked, but Saga was THE bloody Saga.)
Old 2009-07-04, 19:28   Link #132
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albafica View Post

About Benou cloth, i love it *_*.

Where do you got that pictures is sos so OMG nice if they put in the ovas that will be an epic win
Old 2009-07-04, 20:32   Link #133
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Kurumada isn't writing it. Lost Canvas, on its entirety, is Teshirogi's own work (based on the former's manga, yes).

Anyway, I agree on LC's Gold Saints being superior to the ones in the original. I think the only exception would be Virgo Shaka (and perhaps Gemini Saga and Leo Aiolia - I'm saying this because I haven't seen their LC's counterparts yet. Well, I've seen Gemini's, but what I've seen is not enough to have an idea; although, he's quite wicked, but Saga was THE bloody Saga.)
Scorpio Milo was pretty badass as well, even though Scorpio Kardia is quite the hotblooded guy (basically the opposite of Milo ).
Old 2009-07-04, 20:44   Link #134
Used Can

Yes, Milo was a good Saint, but Kardia was just crazy. He was awesome.
Old 2009-07-04, 22:53   Link #135
Jehuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post

Oh, really? I thought Teshirogi was either just a co-writer or the illustrator.

I stand corrected, then

Yeah, it's pretty hard to top Saga as far as batshit crazy, bloody bastardness goes.
Old 2009-07-04, 23:26   Link #136
solarknight123

Just finished watching the 2 episodes of LC and I am really in love with the OVA! Great adaptation so far and great animation. I really can't compare the Elysian saga of Saint Seiya to the final chapters of its manga counterpart since the volumes have yet to be released in the US. I hope that not only does TMS continue with this quality on Lost Canvas, but they animate the entire series. That would be really awesome. Say i've been wondering about something. I know the Hades Saga anime didn't really sell to well in Japan since I can remember so much time has passed from when the series came out in the 80s, but have Toei tried to market the OVAs outside to other countries where it was very popular. Plus speaking of which, is Saint Seiya still popular in those countries?
Old 2009-07-05, 01:25   Link #137
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Hades Sanctuary Oav worked well in Japan (that's why Toei Unanimation did the sequel of Hades), but the movie of the tenkai didn't. Kurumada doesn't like Tenkai movie so he dismiss (that idiot? ) the staff of tenkai hen/hades sanctuary for Saint Seiya Inferno/Elysion so we have crappy OAV of Hades saga (Inferno/Elysion) with bad chara design, no animation, bad seiyuu (Shun :/) but good soundtrack as alway...

In France, Saint Seiya is quite popular, OAV of Saint Seiya Hades/Sanctuary have been telecasted and there are DVDs. But we haven't got Inferno/Elysion, well it's not a bad news because I will never buy these shi? ! Kurumada and Toei unanimation killed Saint Seiya! I think the contry where Saint Seiya is the most popular is Brazil. They have everything of Saint Seiya.

Lol hahaha about Poseidon arc is a filler, and not Asgard . So true! Asgard is the best filler arc I ever saw! Characters have the best background in Saint Seiya (I love Mime Benetnasch).

About gold saints of Lost Canvas and gold saints of the original, I prefer the original.
Well I love Albafica (pisces), Rasgado (taurus), Kardia (scorpio), Degel (aquarius) and Manigoldo (cancer) but I'm disappointed about Shion (aries), Dokho (balance) and Super Sisyphe (I'm sagittarius, it's alway the trashy character >_<)!
But gold saints of Saint Seiya original have more impact in my point of view, like Saga, Kanon, Camus, Shion (the best character ), Mu, Milo, Dokho (in Hades arc), Shaka.

Albafica (LC) > Aphrodite (original)
Rasgado > Aldebaran
Manigoldo >>>>>>> Deathmask

But you're right, in Lost Canvas, gold saints are given the respect they deserve. Well in Hades sanctuary, in a certain way, we can say that they are given this respect (Mu was incredible). Gold Saints fights for justice too in Saint Seiya G (Deathmask, Aphrodite no, of course ) but yeah it's quite different (chara design, plot).

Gold Saints in OAV of Lost Canvas look good but I prefer Teshirogi design. Degel in opening looks like a villain . I love Scorpio's Kardia in Lost Canvas, I like Milo too, they are different. I love his technique: ANTARES!

Quote:
"oh I'll just side with whoever's winning"
This is Deathmask no? This little crab!

Quote:
"save Athena before the sunset's here!1!!1!one"
Oh yeah, that was very boring. Well in Sanctuary Arc, it was Ok I think. In Asgard, it began to be repetitive. In Poseidon arc, it was unbearable >_<.
Hades saga is quite different from others arcs, that's why i like it.

Tenma had too much spotlight in my opinion, i don't like his fights. I prefer when it's a gold saint .

About the Cygnus cloth, you speak about the totem of Bennu Kagaho? Yeah it looks like . If you read his mythology, I think that Bennu is the previous Phoenix >_<.

You can find Lost Canvas colos in a lot of website (italian, brazilian, espagnol). Deviant art is not bad.

The final attack of the Scarlet Needle, ANTARES!!!!

Too bad, Cardia will not appears in these OAV .

He looks hot isn't it?

But he's no match with this:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-05, 02:04   Link #138
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
I know the Hades Saga anime didn't really sell to well in Japan since I can remember so much time has passed from when the series came out in the 80s, but have Toei tried to market the OVAs outside to other countries where it was very popular. Plus speaking of which, is Saint Seiya still popular in those countries?
I don't know about other countries but usually Saint Seiya here in Italy always does pretty well. Even the Hades OAVs did well despite receiving criticism for its animation quality. As for Lost Canvas, the manga here is available in tankbon form although for the usual dumb reasons its italian publisher decided to split the japanese volumes into smaller ones (which is why so far we have 17 volumes published here when there's 13 in Japan). At first it took a while for the Lost Canvas manga to get some recognition here, because of the "bishounenish" character design but then it gradually began to grow on readers and now it's appreciated for the very same reasons we're mentioning in this thread (the Gold Saints finally getting their deserved moments of glory).

Last edited by Shinndou; 2009-07-05 at 02:26.
Old 2009-07-05, 02:20   Link #139
solarknight123

I wish Saint Seiya could have done better in the US and become as popular as it was in other countries. Of course I blame DIC, for making a crappy dub edit of the series, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if ADV films(the company that now has a part of the series licensed) got a hold of it first and kept it true like it did, would Saint Seiya have done better despite it being and classic anime.
Old 2009-07-05, 05:19   Link #140
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Quote:
its italian publisher decided to split the japanese volumes into smaller ones (which is why so far we have 17 volumes published here when there's 13 in Japan).
What the hell is that!? How much it costs? OMG, if i lived in Italy, I will never buy this shi?! In France, we have 6 volumes of Lost Canvas.
It works well in France, but not as good as Naruto/Bleach/One Piece, of course.

About Saint Seiya original anime, dub wasn't very good too in France (well there are some unforgettable voices), but the quality of music make the show very good (with beautiful moments of emotion).

In these last chapters of manga, I don't like Teshirogi's path to have more readers... Mass use of FAN SERVICE.
Ok a little bit isn't bad but there are too much fan service in these last chapters. I hate that... It damages the atmosphere. I hope we will have a cool fight with a female character without this shit.

Last edited by Albafica; 2009-07-05 at 06:32. Reason: srry for spoiler!
Albafica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen