AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-10-15, 22:35   Link #181
JarOfMayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I'm sorry, but Producer Takeda has made many ignorant, arrogant, and down-right stupid comments in the public numerous times in the past....
I honestly cannot defend that man, nor can I see his work as "sophisticated political statement".
I love this show, but not because of Takeda. I love the director, the character designer, and many other anime staff involved in it.
I just hope Takeda's influence doesn't ruin it.
No need to be. The man's stuck in a tunnel vision of sorts. Nothing you or I could do anything about.

Episode 2... as you also mentioned I think earlier in the thread pushed me to think Takeda's influence isn't strong in this work. Yet... indeed for just newcomers going into the first episode with fansubs this week, it gives off that honky vibe Its worrisome when a good work might be or become unpopular just because of staff('s) politics.

I actually got a chance to watch Planetes recently and when reading the forum thread the pages and pages of the debate on how terrorists were portrayed in the piece. Coming especially late in the anime and quite suddenly, the issue didn't derail the popularity of Planetes. Geass presents a similar situation quite early and I wonder if will have a similar "how terrorists/government are portrayed" discussion here as well.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 23:01   Link #182
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
I think people should not try to associate what is geologically America in the anime with the America that is in the real world. They are very different entities. Even if the producer is anti-American, Britannia does not resemble America a single bit.

Just watch the anime for what is, do not try to over-politicize it...
Personally, this is the best show this season, and so far I love everything about it - the melomaniac main character, the gorgeous art, and smooth mecha fights (reminds of the high quality combat scenes in Eureka 7)
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 23:17   Link #183
Lackadaisical

As this is an anime, I'm more concerned that Britannia will serve as an overly evil, depthless villian that merely serves to provide fodder for the good guys than an anti-American message being sent put.

Attempt to characterize actual nations in fictional nations usually leads to overtly perfect and invincible good guys and laughable incompetent villians.

The show can be as anti-American as it wants so long as it has a strong, dramatic plot. It is just a show after all. I'll be more critical of its content than its characterization of America.
Lackadaisical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 23:30   Link #184
Haruka-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
I think people should not try to associate what is geologically America in the anime with the America that is in the real world. They are very different entities. Even if the producer is anti-American, Britannia does not resemble America a single bit.

Just watch the anime for what is, do not try to over-politicize it...
Personally, this is the best show this season, and so far I love everything about it - the melomaniac main character, the gorgeous art, and smooth mecha fights (reminds of the high quality combat scenes in Eureka 7)

I agree. Try to watch the anime for the character, story, and arts. Political dilemma is already complicated as it is. Also, the country that the anime mention such as France, Britain, and even Japan does not mean it resemble that country. The author/director of the anime sometime were making a political statement, but I tend to ignore those, because everyone is entitle to voice their opinion. I am good at ignoring things that I don't like/don't care and focus on the things that I like.

I am a HUGE fan of mecha anime. What is more is that it is a mecha anime design by CLAMP. So far, I have not find a favorite anime for this season. Hopefully, this anime will be.
Haruka-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 23:59   Link #185
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep1
I am like what someone perviously said: pulled by the power of FLOW's opening and CLAMP's character desings.

Aside from disliking mecha anime, hating green hair and having few problems with the fansub, I've got no complaints. I hope I get pulled by greater powers (plot and characters).

About politics in the show... I don't know what I'll do if they portray middle east people as "terrorists" (or anything else negative). I know I'll be upset, but to quit watching it for that reason... hmm...
Old 2006-10-16, 00:36   Link #186
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Ep1
About politics in the show... I don't know what I'll do if they portray middle east people as "terrorists" (or anything else negative). I know I'll be upset, but to quit watching it for that reason... hmm...
Quite unlikely, since Takeda is actually sympathetic to the middle east.
So sympathetic, that he blames the death of Iraqi people on the JAPANESE PUBLIC.

Now, I'm normally a guy who sympathises with what people are going through in middle east too, but I don't blatantly make that kind of connection.

I would agree with you all about not worrying about political bible-thumping in anime, if this was any other person in charge. You guys seen Blood+? The very one-sided political statements in that anime is also this man's doing.
Old 2006-10-16, 02:16   Link #187
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Why are so many people here that hate mecha anime, but rave about the Clamp designs. THIS IS NOT A CLAMP SERIES, OK, it is a mecha anime done by SUNRISE, that's SUNRISE and it has Clamp character designs. I really hope nobody expects this to be Clamp High School or Clamp Detectives, I don't want to have to come out here and play Captain Obvious to much when somebody see's something that should be expected in a mecha anime and starts asking questions as to why its happening. I'm almost starting to regret the Clamp factor as much as my friend, because its drawing in the strangest viewers who are going to need a serious intro to mecha anime in short order. Just go away.

Really though just kidding on the side, Actually http://www.mahq.net this is a good place to start. I'm going to put this in my Sig tomorrow and people who need answers can go here as it helps quite a bit. I'll actually be glad to answer question on mecha for the initiates, you can PM me if you want.

Oh and about politics, even if they want to portray Canadian's as terrorists or whatever, I wouldn't even care really. That's the kind of thing I can laugh at, since nothing like that really bothers me, its just a show.

The fansub had some weird parts to it that I can't really remember even though I watched it 10 minutes ago. There was Knightmare Flame and some weird timing on some of the subs.

I've edited this message so many times I forgot what I wrote.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-10-16 at 02:34.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 02:44   Link #188
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical View Post
As this is an anime, I'm more concerned that Britannia will serve as an overly evil, depthless villian that merely serves to provide fodder for the good guys than an anti-American message being sent put.

Attempt to characterize actual nations in fictional nations usually leads to overtly perfect and invincible good guys and laughable incompetent villians.

The show can be as anti-American as it wants so long as it has a strong, dramatic plot. It is just a show after all. I'll be more critical of its content than its characterization of America.
I think I'd tend to agree with this. I don't mind if a show takes on a 'wrong' issue (like Koi Kaze [which I haven't watched, so I may be wrong]) but rather on whether it deals with it well. If the balance and interaction between the 'bad' and 'good' guys is just like in Blood+ then I am dropping this like a hot stone, I'm afraid. Even if it's Taniguchi and all.
Old 2006-10-16, 02:50   Link #189
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I think I'd tend to agree with this. I don't mind if a show takes on a 'wrong' issue (like Koi Kaze [which I haven't watched, so I may be wrong]) but rather on whether it deals with it well. If the balance and interaction between the 'bad' and 'good' guys is just like in Blood+ then I am dropping this like a hot stone, I'm afraid. Even if it's Taniguchi and all.
Why, what happened in Blood+, polarized characters or something? I really don't think we'll be going back to the days of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo simplicity anytime soon, don't worry.
Old 2006-10-16, 03:18   Link #190
DrewGSR

This is quite impressive, I liked episode one. can't wait for more episodes.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 03:55   Link #191
Zachariah

Thoroughly enjoyed the first and second episodes.

As to say that the anime is anti-American is indeed taking it a bit far. Many animes already use the 'world' as a basis for designating different empires and all. Take Gundam Seed for instance. The fact that the Britannia empire is located in North Amreica could be just coincidence.

By the way, anyone know how long the series will run for?
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 04:03   Link #192
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

FLOW can't sing another song? Eureka 7's OP is virtually the same as this.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 04:59   Link #193
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Why, what happened in Blood+, polarized characters or something? I really don't think we'll be going back to the days of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo simplicity anytime soon, don't worry.
Well, I've always thought that they were really weak.... Neither side was really very convincing because there were plot developments that would just make you go "huh" and make them look a bit inconsistent. I mean, the bad guys were undoubtedly the bad guys, but somehow they felt wishy-washy. Not in the sense that they were using soft power or whatever - they just felt half-baked as a whole. They got the "bad guy stamp" and made that really obvious but other than that they felt rather empty... I'm sure others would disagree but I felt this was the case.

Oh, and I kind of agree about you getting a tad annoyed at people who think this is a CLAMP show. All they did was the character designs, not even really the character concepts (and IMHO I think they didn't even do an interesting job on that). And I'm thankful that that's the extent of their involvement at most, although that doesn't still reduce my worry about the future of the storyline...
Old 2006-10-16, 06:54   Link #194
martino
makes no files now

Do you think that a romance story will develop in this series?
Old 2006-10-16, 07:56   Link #195
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Do you think that a romance story will develop in this series?
Yes everybody will be turn out to be gay for each other, just like in every other "CLAMP" series. Seriously though its to early to tell, but probably, as almost every series has at least one romantic element to it. As they say, Hollywood loves the love story and other entertainment industries are all to keen to follow along.
Old 2006-10-16, 08:18   Link #196
wao
OK.

I'll be extremely surprised if there isn't a love story. I can already see a potential one between Lelouch and whatshername who was recklessly driving the Knightmare Frame in the first episode. Not like anything's happened, but it seems so easy to set up... I'd enjoy it if Lelouch was impressed and inspired by her to do something. Better still, if she dies and that causes him to go into SUPER ANGST + PISSED OFF mode. Giggle.
Old 2006-10-16, 08:58   Link #197
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The apparent possible set-ups so far for romance seems....really angsty

Judging by ED, it's possible we're getting Suzaku x Lelouch's wheelchair-bound sister? Brother's a terrorist, lover's a Britiannia soldier, tied up in the whatever royal family conspiracy = ANGST

Yes, and I agree Karen x Lelouch will be so easy to set up. We'd be getting the typical Captain Lelouch gets injured blah blah terrorist sees his face when curing him Karen finds out he's royalty torn between Nippon Banzai and luv yadayada still = ANGST.

Blah. Who am I kidding. Suzaku x Lelouch will undeniably be the ultimate bait for yaoi fangirls.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 09:58   Link #198
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Suzaku x Lelouch will undeniably be the ultimate bait for yaoi fangirls.
As if those two could compare to the Yaoi Quartet that finally made their appearance after five years. Indeed, I am speaking of

Spoiler:

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Suzaku and Lelouch garnered some fanbase at least, since the name CLAMP itself is enough to draw the Yaoi fangirls as well as normal Yaoi fans.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 10:22   Link #199
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
FLOW can't sing another song? Eureka 7's OP is virtually the same as this.
You need help. Aside from the singers, it wasn't "virtually the same" at all. And to answer the question, yes they can and they did for this show.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 13:49   Link #200
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
However, I wouldn't be surprised if Suzaku and Lelouch garnered some fanbase at least, since the name CLAMP itself is enough to draw the Yaoi fangirls as well as normal Yaoi fans.
Indeed. The Suzaku/Lelouch dynamic also reminded me way too much of Athrun/Kira--IMO it came across as a cheap grab for SEED fangirls. The similarity between their reunion and the first episode of SEED kind of irked me, but at least I can cross my fingers and hope that Code Geass' writers will do something new and more engaging with the relationship.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote