AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-26, 03:33   Link #5421
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
After watching the battle, I have to say it followed the logic of the GuP world pretty well. I did have my heart stopping a beat when a certain vehicle in Oxidrot met its end in a very brutal matter.

What I found most ironic: In the end, Miho proved herself to be a true Nishizumi, by following the creed of Nishizumi-ryu to its full extent. I cannot think of a more fitting way of things coming back to their original place.
She didn't abandon her team though. Note the world-warping record setting jump. Contrast that with Shiho's statements on sacrifices necessary for victory.

It's interesting that Rabbit Team, the team most consider the weakest overall, was instrumental in the final victory, (though I do think it was a nice touch how things finally played out).

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 03:34   Link #5422
tomexe

Located!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
i dont know if this has been posted before...

an example WW2 of tank on tank where the anime seems to get inspiration from, but i dont recognize the tank....got it from the forum next door

and for you guys an comic strip of what happen before the "big Battle"

That is the remains of a Type 94 Tankette atop that Sherman.
That photo is also on the Wiki page for the Type 94 Tankette, where it identifies it as being taken on Kawajalein Atoll. The other wreck in the foreground is another Type 94.
The photo does not identify if the Type 94 tried a ramming attempt and wound up there or if the Sherman is just being used as a tractor to haul it back due to the inability of the wheeled "Dragon Wagon"s to cross the sandy beaches- a M31 or M32 ARV could easily lift a T94 up there with its A-frame.
tomexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 03:37   Link #5423
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
She didn't abandon her team though. Note the world-warping record setting jump.
Take note that in the scene prior to that part, the spaces between tanks weren't actually that far apart. It seems that we got some space expansion just for added dramatic effect. Which works too.

As for Miho upholding the tenets of Nishizumi-ryu? Kind of iffy, unless you consider what she's doing following the "spirit" (never give up, keep on moving forward) rather than the "letter" of the school tenets.
Old 2013-03-26, 03:40   Link #5424
The Green One

Quote:
After watching the battle, I have to say it followed the logic of the GuP world pretty well. I did have my heart stopping a beat when a certain vehicle in Oxidrot met its end in a very brutal matter.

What I found most ironic: In the end, Miho proved herself to be a true Nishizumi, by following the creed of Nishizumi-ryu to its full extent. I cannot think of a more fitting way of things coming back to their original place.
She was able to find a way to seek victory without sacrificing her morals and principles. That's part of why her teammates are so fiercely loyal to her besides her being the school's last hope.

Nishizumi-ryu was presented as, Victory at all costs, whatever the sacrifice. Miho's plans did require some risky maneuvers that ultimately required sacrifice but her continuous care and sincerity toward the team and it's safety earned their trust and they responded to her wholeheartedly rather then just tools to be used with or without their consent.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 03:46   Link #5425
tomexe

Quote:
She didn't abandon her team though. Note the world-warping record setting jump. Contrast that with Shiho's statements on sacrifices necessary for victory.

It's interesting that Rabbit Team, the team most consider the weakest overall, was instrumental in the final victory, (though I do think it was a nice touch how things finally played out).
I wonder what the future holds for Usagi team. There are no six seat tanks made after the Grant/Lee. Will they keep campagning that crate in order to simply be togeather? Not care about how successful they are and just have fun?

Or will Oarai get a bunch of new freshman members and new tanks, and the Usagi team all become tank commanders?
tomexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 03:54   Link #5426
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Yeah. They don't really do anything wrong (well, not since Episode 5 anyway), but the Random Number God already used up all the good numbers for Anko and Hippo (and later the Turtle) Teams. Duck team can have some hits because they are ineffective anyway, but if they raise the number of effective hits for Oarai any more, the imbalance will start to look very funny and if they raise the average hit rate all around the battles will be far too deadly and short, so even their one set of pre Ep-12 hits have to be shared with another team... poor bunnies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Nishizumi-ryu was presented as, Victory at all costs, whatever the sacrifice. Miho's plans did require some risky maneuvers that ultimately required sacrifice but her continuous care and sincerity toward the team and it's safety earned their trust and they responded to her wholeheartedly rather then just tools to be used with or without their consent.
Well, her mother has no cause to complain about her decision this time - it did contribute to victory. Evolution made us have a sense of helping others not because it is nice, but overall it is the better survival strategy and those that do survive to reproduce more often

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2013-03-26 at 04:31.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 04:58   Link #5427
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Take note that in the scene prior to that part, the spaces between tanks weren't actually that far apart. It seems that we got some space expansion just for added dramatic effect. Which works too.
Hence what I meant for world-warping.

Quote:
As for Miho upholding the tenets of Nishizumi-ryu? Kind of iffy, unless you consider what she's doing following the "spirit" (never give up, keep on moving forward) rather than the "letter" of the school tenets.
If Miho is following Nishizumi-ryu at all, I agree that it's only the spirit, and not the strict letter of the tenets that Shiho is practicing. Shiho also doesn't see it that way: note how dismissive she is of Miho's style, and how she terms it as heresy. All she'd need would be a Commissar now, or maybe a Hereticus Inquisitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomexe View Post
I wonder what the future holds for Usagi team. There are no six seat tanks made after the Grant/Lee. Will they keep campagning that crate in order to simply be togeather? Not care about how successful they are and just have fun?

Or will Oarai get a bunch of new freshman members and new tanks, and the Usagi team all become tank commanders?
Well, they could always dump Saki. Afterall, she didn't say anything for almost half a year.

I don't think Usagi will all become TCs. I think probably they'll stick to this tank because after all this time they're pretty good at it. I'm reminded of tales from the 80s, at the RED FLAG excercises, at how there would always be these old guys in F-4Cs from the Air National Guard and USAF Reserves going up against active duty pilots from the USAF, USMC, USN... and the active-duty boys would be regularly getting their clocks cleaned out, because the old dudes from the Guard in their old Phantoms were all Nam vets with thousands of hours of flight time. There's a reason the USN aggressor squadrons and Top Gun used A-4s and F-5s for years, until the airframes eventually wore out and they switched to newer F-16s.

That said, the Great Belorussian Random was smiling on them this ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Yeah. They don't really do anything wrong (well, not since Episode 5 anyway), but the Random Number God already used up all the good numbers for Anko and Hippo (and later the Turtle) Teams. Duck team can have some hits because they are ineffective anyway, but if they raise the number of effective hits for Oarai any more, the imbalance will start to look very funny and if they raise the average hit rate all around the battles will be far too deadly and short, so even their one set of pre Ep-12 hits have to be shared with another team... poor bunnies.
Well, even the RNG has to smile on them at some point.

I have to wonder whether the anime team actually played World of Tanks to game out their scenarios. I recall Tom Clancy and Larry Bond wargaming the scenarios for Red Storm Rising using tabletop Harpoon rules.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-26, 05:05   Link #5428
Marina2

(Can we discuss ep. openly now??)

I think Azusa can become an overall commander after Miho graduated. She seems to have potential. Karina can become Mako 2.0 in the future. Ayumi and Aya still need to train more in shooting. Their radio operator (somehow she is the only one I can't remember the name) is ok right now and Saki...........Saki is Saki.
Old 2013-03-26, 05:07   Link #5429
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
and Saki...........Saki is Saki.
Saki is... SA KI TO VICTORY!

*is shot for lame pun*

Seriously though, her voice is too adorable. She should've just gotten out of the tank and knocked out the other teams via nosebleed

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 06:52   Link #5430
Top Sergeant

If I can't have Mako drive my tank, I'll certainly be happy with Shinobu Kawanishi! She drives that Type 89 better than Luke Skywalker can fly a space fighter!
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 06:57   Link #5431
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
(Can we discuss ep. openly now??)
I think everyone gave up trying to use spoiler tags 10 hours ago.

Quote:
I think Azusa can become an overall commander after Miho graduated. She seems to have potential. Karina can become Mako 2.0 in the future. Ayumi and Aya still need to train more in shooting. Their radio operator (somehow she is the only one I can't remember the name) is ok right now and Saki...........Saki is Saki.
Probably not. Karina is competent enough, but she's never going to reach the genius level (at least genius level in this show). Mako would have found a way to escape on the left side while keeping position such that the Jagdtiger can't clip them.

And I do think that given the choice, they'll agree to switch tanks as long as the gun is a bit better even if it means they have to split - watching a 0 distance back hit get ruled as SHOT HAS NO EFFECT must have been painful.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 07:12   Link #5432
kimpleng
Lurker

I'm very satisfied with this series. Really enjoyable.
Spoiler for magz cover:
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 07:15   Link #5433
Ridwan

That was easily the best final battle I've seen in a while.
Old 2013-03-26, 07:36   Link #5434
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
I'm very satisfied with this series. Really enjoyable.
*snips*
Regardless of what you think of Shiho's parenting, the girls have obviously inherited SOMETHING nice from her. As my friend said: "75mms on the left, 88mms on the right. Fine pair of armament for the Nishizumi sisters there."
Old 2013-03-26, 07:45   Link #5435
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Seriously, this was the best ending I've seen in a long time.

And it's also interesting - most series, if you were to show their last episodes after a gap of 3 months, there'd be very little interest. And yet here we are excitedly talking about Girls und Panzer.

That ep was so goddamned worth it. The only thing I'm sad about is that the show has ended.

Well, that's what marathoning previous eps are for.

Ooarai definitely deserved their victory. Of that, there is no doubt.

...also, I confess that the only reason I was disappointed with Maho and Miho's handshake at the end was that I wanted Maho to pull Miho forward into a ki-

*Goose is shot with the Maus' gun*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-26, 07:45   Link #5436
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
She was able to find a way to seek victory without sacrificing her morals and principles. That's part of why her teammates are so fiercely loyal to her besides her being the school's last hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Well, her mother has no cause to complain about her decision this time - it did contribute to victory. Evolution made us have a sense of helping others not because it is nice, but overall it is the better survival strategy and those that do survive to reproduce more often

I'll simply say, I find that people looking at only the superficial elements to be quite short-sighted. It doesn't matter if you're ruthless or caring, ultimately a sacrifice is a sacrifice, and Miho has definitely learned this. Quite proud of her on this count.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 07:54   Link #5437
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I'll simply say, I find that people looking at only the superficial elements to be quite short-sighted. It doesn't matter if you're ruthless or caring, ultimately a sacrifice is a sacrifice, and Miho has definitely learned this. Quite proud of her on this count.
There is a difference between abandoning people to their fates when you have the power to intervene, and when they volunteer/actively participate in being decoys in pursuit of a goal.

It is a subtle, but significant difference.

Since accusations of short-sightedness have been brought, I would submit that a similar accusation can be made towards yourself. There's sayings on pots and kettles that apply here, ojou.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-03-26 at 07:55. Reason: Touchup on grammar and flow.
Old 2013-03-26, 08:00   Link #5438
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
There is a difference between abandoning people to their fates when you have the power to intervene, and when they volunteer/actively participate in being decoys in pursuit of a goal.

It is a subtle, but significant difference.
And ultimately the same, which is the point of it all.

Quote:
Since accusations of short-sightedness have been brought, I would submit that a similar accusation can be made towards yourself. There's sayings on pots and kettles that apply here, ojou.
More like I can't think of a better expression at 6 am after over 100 hours of no long-term sleep I was originally going to write "self-justifying".
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 08:16   Link #5439
Marina2

Watched ep.12 subbed version. Picked up something interesting.

- Wait, Type-89 is heavy tank??? .....translation error???

- Operation: Kelly Heroes! ^^ Nice Foreshadow, director!

- Oh, Rabbit team. I'm glad you want to be the heavy tank killer. In WOT, I used to fear heavy tank (I mainly play medium tank) but after I learnt their weakness on all sides, it becames fun to hunt them down.
Old 2013-03-26, 08:18   Link #5440
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Finally saw this episode at 5am before I left for work. Very exciting episode and well worth the wait. Loved Operation Kelley's Heroes.

Well now it's time for Erika to be spanked, preferably by Maho.

Endless "Get some sleep, sume-chan" Soul

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks