AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-11-03, 17:00   Link #81
ZODDGUTS

Just another add list of manga and anime were the 2nd/other girl gets denied despite being the best girl in the series, just because she wasn't the first girl that was introduced.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 18:21   Link #82
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaedeF View Post
I read Chinese scanlation. English scanlation has been stopped?
No no, there are still updates and all even if it takes times to have another translated chapter

Quote:
I have a feeling that the author changed his mind only near the end of the series to have TaisukexMegumi paring instead of xNami and intentionally wanted to drop a bomb on us readers. "Haha, you've been trolled"thinking.
We mustn't forget that Taisuke and Megumi have been childhood friends and they were really close back in highschool. They have already developed feelings for each other during that time. It's just that TaisukexNami is the canon pairing throughout the series, at least thought so by the readers.

That's unfair. At least one extra point for Yuta.
Nop, I will not change it. It's exactly for what you said that I put a 1/10. it has been never stated anywhere in tghe manga that Taisuke loved Megumi even in the last chapter. Damnit in the chapter 74, he even thought again about the kiss. I read 78 chapter by thinking they will end up together, 78 chapters ! It was one of the main reason (if not the main one) that I read this manga and in the end, it was for nothing !! WTF is that
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 20:16   Link #83
giorno

I repeat, this is not a romance manga. There was never any need to have Taisuke and Megumi develop their romance together, because it was already there from the very beginning. All it needed was for them to just make those feelings clear(or rather, for Taisuke to admit being in love with Megumi)

Taisuke's feelings for Megumi(and Megumi's feelings for Taisuke, and Hirose's feelings for Megumi) were a central part of the storyline, and if you didn't get this fact, it probably means that you didn't pay attention to the manga at all...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 01:43   Link #84
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
I repeat, this is not a romance manga. There was never any need to have Taisuke and Megumi develop their romance together, because it was already there from the very beginning. All it needed was for them to just make those feelings clear(or rather, for Taisuke to admit being in love with Megumi)

Taisuke's feelings for Megumi(and Megumi's feelings for Taisuke, and Hirose's feelings for Megumi) were a central part of the storyline, and if you didn't get this fact, it probably means that you didn't pay attention to the manga at all...
You miss the point entirely, it doesn't have to be romance to have character development. Megumi was non-existent for the majority of the series and most of which are separate from Taisuke. While on the other hand Nami had major character development, is a main character of the series in which a big part of her character development involves her feelings for Taisuke.

Megumi at this point would be Random Girl A and it'll still have the same impact as it does now.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 06:02   Link #85
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
You miss the point entirely, it doesn't have to be romance to have character development. Megumi was non-existent for the majority of the series and most of which are separate from Taisuke. While on the other hand Nami had major character development, is a main character of the series in which a big part of her character development involves her feelings for Taisuke.

Megumi at this point would be Random Girl A and it'll still have the same impact as it does now.
Exactly. And Taisuke feeling for Megumi a central part of the manga ? What the ? One of the central part of the manga was the relationship bewteen Taisuke and Nami ! Megumi has never been hint in this relationship. And in the last chpater coming from nowhere he said "I love Megumi" Loooool. please, that's just ridiculous. It's what I call bad writing, that's all.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 06:08   Link #86
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Aliens invading Earth, people commiting suicide, getting superpowers, cities leveled, the world about to end, life finding a meaning...

...who cares, he chose the wrong girl! (sarcasm)
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 12:22   Link #87
OMchan
オムちゃん

Man, I remember how I was after chapter 73 after skimming the raws and how I was after chapter 78 and onwards... it's even more disappointing translated, lol. Always felt Nami got shafted... As others have mentioned, it might have been a different story if we got to know Megumi more as an individual rather than just as one of Taisuke's childhood friends (i.e. an opportunity to be as emotionally invested in Megumi as we were in Nami). Oh well, sigh.

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 14:49   Link #88
giorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post

and you missed my point: So what? So what if Megumi's character got little development and had only a few scenes with Taisuke? So what if Nami had much more scenes, much more character development and it mostly revolved around Taisuke?

Just because Nami has a more promiment role and much more character development, and spent much more time with Taisuke, doesn't mean she should automatically get him. All that development wasn't meant to show us how Taisuke and Nami got together in the end, the manga was never about that.

lol @roriconfan's post: yeah, you'd think people read this manga for the adventure, the plot and the characters...instead they only care about who Taisuke will end up with

@Kusa-san: you're kidding, right? what manga have you been reading? Megumi(and Taisuke's and Hirose's feelings for her) were the whole reason why the story even began....the first half of the manga is literally about Taisuke trying to find Megumi. Only after he finally manages to find her and Hirose takes the heart and decides to destroy humanity his goal changes from "rescue Meg" to "stop Hirose and save the world"...and throughout the whole manga, his feelings for Megumi are what moves him forward...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 15:02   Link #89
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
lol @roriconfan's post: yeah, you'd think people read this manga for the adventure, the plot and the characters...instead they only care about who Taisuke will end up with
From here on, every time someone wonders why most recent anime are all about fan service and moe and not about interesting scenarios, I will be giving them the link to the previous page of this topic.

Btw, the actual shounen fighting of this manga is hit or miss to be considered good. I mean, seriously, some guy finds the magic gizmo and all power users are forced to kill themselves? Yeah, ok...

...but wait, he chose the wrong girl.
Old 2010-11-04, 16:14   Link #90
KaedeF
Moeshit hater

Quote:
and you missed my point: So what? So what if Megumi's character got little development and had only a few scenes with Taisuke? So what if Nami had much more scenes, much more character development and it mostly revolved around Taisuke?

Just because Nami has a more promiment role and much more character development, and spent much more time with Taisuke, doesn't mean she should automatically get him. All that development wasn't meant to show us how Taisuke and Nami got together in the end, the manga was never about that.
I agree, but not whole-heartedly. Yes. Nami has much more character development and being a main role doesn't mean she will definitely end up with Taisuke. Such scenario always happen in reality, but don't forget that it doesn't usually work so in fictions.
And this manga was not all about Taisuke and his gang fighting superhumans. The interactions and relationships between the characters are a main point of this manga too. We know that Nami's strong feelings for Taisuke have been highlighted many times in the series and there were many moments showing both of them together. All these are to lead us into believing that they will end up eventually, aren't they?
There's no point and necessity for the author to highlight their relationships such as in the kissing and living together scenes if they weren't meant to end up from the start.
Old 2010-11-04, 17:43   Link #91
Arturro

@KaedeF - this manga since beginning was about Taisuke going after Megumi. Plot of first part of Alive is something like: "A Knight is going to rescue his Princess. During his long journey a few Sidekicks joins his party. During the journey Knight found out that his best friend is the main Villain." It's just a nice twist from this archetype when sidekick falls in love with knight.
There is possibility author intended to depend Taisuke and Megumi relationship in last part. But he haven't enough time, so he cut all unessential parts, like romance, to end plot of his last work.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 17:56   Link #92
KaedeF
Moeshit hater

As I mentioned, the author didn't have to emphasize so strongly the relationship between Taisuke and Nami throughout the series, if he didn't intend to have them end up together. It would only disappoint the readers. I believe many readers were thinking they are mutually attracted to each other, and even believed that they will end up together in the end.
Maybe the author changed his mind on the pairing near the end of the series. His was very ill that time and he must had had many things running through his mind, especially regarding life. Life doesn't always go the way we want it to, but still, life goes on and we have to move on.
Old 2010-11-06, 19:02   Link #93
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I like the blondie more than the tsundere... Not really... I don't really care.

Edit: I think this manga starts out having quite the appeal, at least to me that is. Over time, it kinda dropped down, I don't know since where but it did.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2010-11-09 at 18:17.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 20:23   Link #94
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
...but wait, he chose the wrong girl.
I nominate this line as the meme of the year.

1/10 coz Nami got the short end of the stick? If you didn't notice that Meg was Taisuke's driving force, then we weren't reading the same manga. Sure, Nami's the more sympathetic character and the one girl from the potential love interests who got the most character development, but you'd think people would pay attention to all the other awesome things going on in the last twenty volumes. Seriously, romance is not even such a major point in this manga, it's more like an afterthought.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 08:06   Link #95
roriconfan
Banned

Ok, maybe this will finally clarify the misunderstanding.
Shounen have no serious romances. Like, never!
Naruto X Hinata, Rukia or Orihime X Ichigo, Luffy X Hancock, heck, Goku X Chichi.
Yeah, great romance there to make such a fuss about it. And here I thought this was a shounen with a somewhat interesting concept.
Old 2010-11-12, 18:20   Link #96
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Just read up to 79, So that's why everyone's acting so pissy here eh? Typical.

The story is still great. The combined fighting was great at the end, Hope for a good ending.
Old 2010-11-13, 18:23   Link #97
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I don't like Meg. She's too plain imho.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 11:57   Link #98
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Well, sad to see Nami is still pinning for Taisuke after all this. And erm 5 years later Taisuke looks younger? O_o... and is it just me or did Meg got uglier? lol
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 21:46   Link #99
No Comment
A Comment

Send a message via AIM to No Comment
I was wanting that kind of ending from the very beginning but didn't think it would happen. Although Megumi could have been shown more throughout the whole series.
No Comment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 01:15   Link #100
AdventSleeper

Finally got to the ending. A nice little series overall. I wonder if that last little monologue was the author's final thoughts as well.

Kinda bummed out about the megumi thing but eh...
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote