AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-02-15, 13:11   Link #321
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iromaru View Post
Looks like Vivio understands that she won't do very well with strike arts alone. I'm hoping she will start learning more traditional magic now.

Magical martial arts don't really suit this series. We need more beams and explosions.
Subaru, Ginga, Nove, Vita, Signum, Zafira, Arf all use various martial arts, there, Iromaru.

You're trying to tell me that they don't suit this series?

Besides, if anything, Vivio's abilities are more suited to being a scholar like Yuuno, not a front-line fighter like Nanoha or Fate are.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 13:36   Link #322
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Magical martial arts don't really suit this series. We need more beams and explosions.
You can be a martial artist and still have your beams and explosions, just remeber Street Fighter xD. Gosh, being MAGICAL martial artist this will be even more easy, it's just matter of time before Vivio starts to launch hadokens left and right, she even has her own version of the Kame-Hame-Ha in her fist-powered Divine Buster xD.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 13:41   Link #323
Iromaru

I was referring to hand to hand combat. Close combat weapons are fine. Especially when done in an interesting way, like jet hammers.

And Vivio is a clone of the legendary fighter. The most legendary fighter in the whole series actually.

She's just not suited for front attacker position.
Iromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 13:44   Link #324
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
I was referring to hand to hand combat. Close combat weapons are fine. Especially when done in an interesting way, like jet hammers.

And Vivio is a clone of the legendary fighter. The most legendary fighter in the whole series actually.

Yep, not suited for it.

And Vivio, in StrikerS, was shown to be using unarmed combat.

Just like Zafira and Arf in A's did.

Old 2011-02-15, 13:45   Link #325
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Just as a side note from a realistic angle: Ignoring one's hand-to-hand melee potential is just bad form. Ideally, a well-rounded fighting would work on both short and long range attack and defense techniques. As Hayate shows, if you have no melee potential, then you're extremely vulnerable. And having hand-to-hand techniques is great for when you run low on magic; you can fall back to using plain old punches and kicks. Even punches and kicks themselves might be a way to ration out your magic to outlast your opponent.

It should be noted that Vivio has a number of spells in addition to her Strike Arts. She picked up quite a few from watching Nanoha and Fate, such as Sacred Cluster, Divine Buster, Binds, etc.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 14:01   Link #326
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Yeah, being able to supply your own cover fire must be nice :P

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 14:02   Link #327
Iromaru

It's true that having some close combat knowledge can be useful to mages, but mind that the time you spend training martial arts and your body can be used to learn new spells, master new summons, strengthen your defenses or create golems/defense programs/whatever Precia summoned.

Traditional mages usually ignore close combat completely.
Old 2011-02-15, 14:04   Link #328
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

You need to train the body to train the mind, besides it's vivio, she cheats.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-02-15, 14:12   Link #329
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
It's true that having some close combat knowledge can be useful to mages, but mind that the time you spend training martial arts and your body can be used to learn new spells, master new summons, strengthen your defenses or create golems/defense programs/whatever Precia summoned.

Training your mind and training your body aren't mutually exclusive concepts. In fact, it's usually a good idea to rest the mind or body after a training session, so when you're on downtime from workout, you can engage your mind thinking of new spells.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 14:12   Link #330
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:

These aren't traditional mages.

Hayate can't even beat Caro, in StrikerS, in one-on-one combat.

She said it herself.

And, this is Nanoha, all the fights ARE close combat.

Look at EVERY SINGLE FIGHT IN THE SERIES!

They all are close range combat.

Nanoha is the only one who does beam-spam. Most everyone gets up close and personal.

S1: Nanoha vs Fate, all close combat unless a Divine Buster or Thunder Smasher was used.

A's: Belkan Knights SPECIALIZE in close-combat.

StrikerS: Teana develops a knife on her own for fighting in close combat if she has to, later revealed to be useless since Cross Mirage has its OWN knife mode. Nanoha fought Vivio in close combat. Fate fought against Tre and Sette in confined space. Erio and Subaru are both close-combat fighters.

Force: Hayate's the only one who was going for fighting from a distance and she got stabbied for her troubles.

Old 2011-02-15, 14:18   Link #331
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
They all are close range combat.
They are all mixed range combat.

And I wouldn't describe Nanoha using barriers and blocking with her staff as close combat.

She used a close range attack like 3 times in the whole series.
Old 2011-02-15, 14:22   Link #332
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
They are all mixed range combat.

And I wouldn't describe Nanoha using barriers and blocking with her staff as close combat.

She used a close range attack like 3 times in the whole series.
Blocking with staff?

Sounds close range to me.

Season 1: Tried to bash Fate over the head with RH. Also tried to block Bardiche's scythe with RH, not very well, mind you, but tried.

Season 2: Graf Eisen befriended RH and she tried to block it. Excellion Mode also sent her straight at Reinforce, who got up close and personal and Nanoha had to fight at that range.

StrikerS: Fight against Vivio anyone?

ViVid: Einhart got up close and forced her to fight.

So, yes, Nanoha does go up close range combat if she has to.

Old 2011-02-15, 14:55   Link #333
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

It's possible she's going at it wrong. But I doubt she's out and out "unsuited".
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 15:11   Link #334
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
You need to train the body to train the mind, besides it's vivio, she cheats.
Cheating in what? It's clearly stated that she lost her mighty buffs from StrikerS, she's just fairly good combat mage for a 10-year old girl, if anything her adult mode is probably the only outstanding thing she have now.

Also all this fuss about her being "unsuited" for close combat is just an informed flaw for now. Even if she got beaten, Vivio has done very well on all her on-screen fights, i mean, for someone supossedly unsuiteds she really fights quite well. Probably Nove thinks the same.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-02-15, 15:16   Link #335
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

As in she has a high learning proficiency for spells. Copypasta effect maybe, not sure if that counts as a buff

Old 2011-02-15, 15:28   Link #336
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
for someone supossedly unsuiteds she really fights quite well.
True.

But the thing is everybody around her seems to realize that she would be better as a ranged fighter like Nanoha.
Old 2011-02-15, 15:36   Link #337
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

makes for a good fake when one or the other part of her skill set falls short against a formidable enemy. I still wonder if vivio or einhart will get to take down a huck

Old 2011-02-15, 15:51   Link #338
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
makes for a good fake when one or the other part of her skill set falls short against a formidable enemy. I still wonder if vivio or einhart will get to take down a huck
AEC Powered combat suit/fight gloves?

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-02-15, 15:54   Link #339
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

wouldn't they only need a good karate chop to the brain stem?

Old 2011-02-15, 15:56   Link #340
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
wouldn't they only need a good karate chop to the brain stem?
If turns out the Huck's regeneration works like Claire Bennet from HEROES maybe

*imagines Sylar hunting down the Huckebein xDU*

But otherwise it will be very difficult, blades do nothing against these guys, much less bare-fisted punches.

~The ASFB~

Tags
vivid