AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-12-18, 12:17   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Cheese in the Trap

Genre: Comedy, Josei, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Slice of Life
Author/Artist: Soon Ki

This series can be read officially on LINE Webtoon, where it is also translated into English and supports the author directly(if you ❤ it).

Synopsis:
Hong Sul is an ordinary college student. Yoo Jung is the most popular upper-classman. He's good looking, rich, smart - and even nice. However, Hong Sul thinks there's more to Yoo Jung than what meets the eye...

Don't let the stupid title fool you. As silly as it sounds(imo at least), this is one HELL of a good story. Its all about the main heroine, Hong Sul, and how she gets a bad feeling about one of her upperclassmen, Yoo Jung, at her college. She doesn't quite know what it is, but it makes her feel rather uncomfortable around him. It doesn't sound like much, and plot-wise, it really isn't, but the execution of it is highly interesting. Sul is a remarkable heroine; she is the farthest from stereotypical as you can possibly get. She feels very realistic in her actions and emotions, even if it's drawn comically(no pun intended). The big draw is how Sul interprets Yoo Jung's actions. From the beginning, she says how she feels uncomfortable around him, and as the story progresses, we are treated to several flashbacks to show multiple instances of why she is suspicious of him(hence, the 'Mystery' tag). The flashback moments are just as(if not more) interesting than the present moments and I really liked the way the author integrates them into the current story so seamlessly. The story also avoids many of the highly annoying pratfalls of regular shoujo stories(well, this IS labeled as a josei).

I really like the way the chars are drawn, even if it does come off amateurish at times, but it may not be to everyone's liking. Plus side, its all in color, so that might help make it easier on the eyes =03. For some reason, Sul reminds me of Aisaka Taiga in the looks department (>.>).

Spoiler for up to chp 24:

Anyways, I greatly encourage you to give this a shot. While it does generally have a 'slice of life' feel that might give you the impression nothing is happening, the meticulousness of how this story pieces Sul's present and her past occurrences makes this quite the enjoyable read =03.

Ah yeah, i do make these threads in the heat of the moment whilst I'm most excited, so if things are a bit exaggerated, my apologies =03

Last edited by frubam; 2019-10-12 at 21:54. Reason: updated image
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 21:42   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

f̶y̶i̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶b̶t̶o̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶n̶t̶i̶n̶u̶e̶d̶[̶b̶y̶ ̶W̶t̶L̶]̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶n̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶/̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶g̶e̶n̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶"̶l̶e̶g̶a̶l̶"̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶l̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶;̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶j̶a̶v̶a̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶'̶o̶v̶e̶r̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶'̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶N̶a̶v̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶b̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶b̶t̶o̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶/̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶v̶i̶s̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶N̶a̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶l̶e̶n̶g̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶?̶ ̶B̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶n̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶.̶

Spoiler for s1 chp 29:

Last edited by frubam; 2019-10-12 at 16:19. Reason: updated reading source
Old 2012-01-22, 16:32   Link #3
frubam
simp for Lyria

I can't believe no one is reading this goodness! Here is a blog post with a bit more in-depth analysis of why it's so damn good(the excerpt about the baka-update synopsis is particularly very true =03).

Anyway
Spoiler for chp 35 - 37:

Old 2012-05-26, 19:26   Link #4
custardpie

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Girls of the Wild's thread here and immediately searched for other manhwa forums, but it seems that for some mysterious reason it is the only manhwa thread with a decent amount of posts. I mean, as much as I enjoy reading it, it's not something I would have expected to be one of the most popular among manhwas, or Korean webtoons.

That said, I've read a lot of Korean webtoons and this one is among the best I've read so far. This isn't your typical dose of romance. Fans have coined the term "romance thriller' to describe its genre, and the expression is quite apt. Readers are constantly set on edge, wondering whether Yoo Jung is after Hong Sul in a nice way or a really bad way. Neither of them are typical characters. But one of the most impressive things about this manhwa is how the minor characters are all fleshed out realistically and how they are related to each other in ways you'd never have expected. The plotlines are woven meticulously, so that scenes that may have seemed unimportant at first glance turn out to be surprisingly relevant.

Anyhow, there seems to be scanlation problems as the poster above mentioned, but this one is really worth checking out. You don't even have to be a fan of josei to enjoy it, although it is likely that you'll enjoy it even more if you've enjoyed but is kind of tired of repetitive romance mangas.
custardpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 22:07   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see the Girls of the Wild's thread here and immediately searched for other manhwa forums, but it seems that for some mysterious reason it is the only manhwa thread with a decent amount of posts. I mean, as much as I enjoy reading it, it's not something I would have expected to be one of the most popular among manhwas, or Korean webtoons.

That said, I've read a lot of Korean webtoons and this one is among the best I've read so far. This isn't your typical dose of romance. Fans have coined the term "romance thriller' to describe its genre, and the expression is quite apt. Readers are constantly set on edge, wondering whether Yoo Jung is after Hong Sul in a nice way or a really bad way. Neither of them are typical characters. But one of the most impressive things about this manhwa is how the minor characters are all fleshed out realistically and how they are related to each other in ways you'd never have expected. The plotlines are woven meticulously, so that scenes that may have seemed unimportant at first glance turn out to be surprisingly relevant.

Anyhow, there seems to be scanlation problems as the poster above mentioned, but this one is really worth checking out. You don't even have to be a fan of josei to enjoy it, although it is likely that you'll enjoy it even more if you've enjoyed but is kind of tired of repetitive romance mangas.
I'm so glad at least one person sees eye-to-eye with me here (T,T)! I was thinking I'd be the only person here who had the chance to enjoy such a wonderfully crafted story and heroine(which would be sad ).

Anyways, after like 6 months, they finally released the 2nd chap
Spoiler for s2 chp 2:

Old 2013-02-13, 01:31   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Spoiler for s2 ch12:

Old 2013-07-06, 03:00   Link #7
frubam
simp for Lyria

Gotdarnit, I hate when I make a super long post, then gets screwed up and disappears >=0w. Guess its gonna be smaller now....

Spoiler for up to s2 chp30:

Old 2013-07-06, 09:41   Link #8
frubam
simp for Lyria

Holy s***!
Spoiler for s2 chp 31:

Old 2013-07-09, 00:17   Link #9
frubam
simp for Lyria

Spoiler for s2 chp 32:

Old 2013-07-09, 13:47   Link #10
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Question. Where I can find the rest of this series? Manga sites I go end stop at chapter 30 and doesn't go beyond that. I read the first chapter and I'm deeply interested.
Old 2013-10-15, 22:27   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

Buried on the forums, but never forgotten =03.

Spoiler for up to s2 chp54:

Old 2019-10-11, 19:54   Link #12
LKK

By request, thread moved from Archive and opened.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-23, 19:47   Link #13
frubam
simp for Lyria

Whew; I asked to move this back from Archives with the intention of making a new post, only to have kept reading and reading. Unable to put it down, I ended up reading so much that commenting on all of the subtleties in a set of chapters in a way I'd be satisfied with and speaking on all of the points I wish to talk about would prove to be too much for me, and just gave up trying to comment altogether . I'll try and post bits and pieces at a time as I re-read old chapters and into the newer chapters I haven't read and finally finish reading this series.

Spoiler for s2 58:

Old 2022-12-25, 11:49   Link #14
frubam
simp for Lyria

Spoiler for s2 62:

Tags
comedy, josei, romance, slice of life