Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-10, 16:40   Link #381
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosepetal View Post
I just finished watching episode 30 from We Suck (my second viewing, I couldn't resist!) and I really love that part in the new opening sequence where Ryuuki and Seiran are in their spiffy uniforms!! Way too hot!!!

Oh, the rest of the episode was good, too. ahem......
The Ryuuki / Seiran armour portion of the new OP animation is certainly nice <3

I find it a little weird that they used the new OP animation starting from Episode 27, but they changed the eyecatch starting from Episode 26 from cherry blossoms on a pink backdrop to floating lotus blossoms on a midnight-blue backdrop.

Spoiler for Ep 26 onwards:

Either that, or the early eyecatch change in Episode 26 was a result of a bug in the production process. Please don't shoot me; I'm just speculating ^^;;
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 13:45   Link #382
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I've been watching this show since I first found out about it-it reminds me of Junni Kokki and I like it for the same reasons. The pseudo historical drama angle is immensly appealing to me. The opening theme is lovely-the whole show is very well done and has a great deal of continuity in the story line and develpment of the characters. I'm glad that it has more than the typical 13 or 26 episodes that most series have now days-there are enough episodes to fully flesh out the characters and plot. I'll be very sorry when it ends.

Last edited by zrdb; 2007-02-16 at 11:55.
zrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 20:29   Link #383
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
I've been watching this show since I first found out about it-it reminds me of Junni Kokki and I like it for the same reasons. The pseudo historical drama angle is immensly appealing to me. The opening theme is lovely-the whole show is very well done and has a great deal of continuity in the story line and develpment of the characters. I'm glad that it has more than the typical 13 or 26 episodes that most series have now days-there are enough eposodes to fully flesh out the characters and plot. I'll be very sorry when it ends.
It'll end only for a short while. This is because, as the official NHK Saiunkoku series page says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official NHK Saiunkoku series page, translation mine
「彩雲国物語」の第2シリーズの制作が決定しました。詳しくは決まり次第お知らせいたします。
It has been decided that a second season of "Tale of Saiunkoku" will be produced. More details will be available once things have been decided.
Moonphase gives April 2007 as the preliminary air date for the second season.
Old 2007-02-13, 08:51   Link #384
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
I've been watching this show since I first found out about it-it reminds me of Junni Kokki and I like it for the same reasons. The pseudo historical drama angle is immensly appealing to me. The opening theme is lovely-the whole show is very well done and has a great deal of continuity in the story line and develpment of the characters. I'm glad that it has more than the typical 13 or 26 episodes that most series have now days-there are enough eposodes to fully flesh out the characters and plot. I'll be very sorry when it ends.
Hahaha, I doubt it will be ending that soon since we have the 2nd season to look forward to.

That said, Episode 37 summary and thoughts is up in my blog.

I personally like the resolutions of Shuurei's emotions in this episode. Very interesting and I will leave it at that
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 11:54   Link #385
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Another season to look foreward to? That makes me happy-I wonder what the final episode count will be, number wise?
Old 2007-02-16, 12:04   Link #386
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In episode 31, out today in subs, is Sakujun wearing lipstick? His lips seem much more colored than in earlier episodes and have a weird hue (pink? my colorblindness makes it hard for me to be certain). I had hoped to see if there was a lip print on the back of Shurrei's hand after he kissed her there, but we didn't get to see.

Edit: OK, did some research. The shot of the left is from the seduction scene in episode 26; the one on the right is from episode 31. Sure looks like lipstick to me. He looks much more effeminate throughout this episode especially in contrast to the earlier arc.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-05-28 at 07:16.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 01:01   Link #387
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yes, he's wearing lipstick. He thinks it makes him even prettier than Shuurei. He's right.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 01:38   Link #388
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In episode 31, out today in subs, is Sakujun wearing lipstick? His lips seem much more colored than in earlier episodes and have a weird hue (pink? my colorblindness makes it hard for me to be certain). I had hoped to see if there was a lip print on the back of Shurrei's hand after he kissed her there, but we didn't get to see.

Edit: OK, did some research. The shot of the left is from the seduction scene in episode 26; the one on the right is from episode 31. Sure looks like lipstick to me. He looks much more effeminate throughout this episode especially in contrast to the earlier arc.

It's really an irony when many of the bishies are in fact prettier than Shuurei. Hah, I bet it's intentional. =3
Old 2007-02-17, 10:27   Link #389
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
It's really an irony when many of the bishies are in fact prettier than Shuurei. Hah, I bet it's intentional. =3
Well... if I was anime!Shuurei, then I wouldn't fall for anime!Sakujun that easily. I mean, the anime sometimes make Sakujun look as if he has fire-engine orange hair. That, combined with the fuchsia-coloured lipstick, makes for rather questionable colour coordination... (Or maybe I need to recalibrate my monitor?) I'm sorry, but Sakujun looks infinitely better in the novels than in the anime.

(When oh when is Yura Kairi putting out an artbook anyways? If she has an artbook out, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.)
Old 2007-02-17, 18:35   Link #390
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Today's episode, ep38 was a thrill for me.
Spoiler for ep38:
I don't believe I've mentioned in this thread that Kuwashima Houko has been nominated for best female lead in some 2006 seiyuu awards to be given out next month. The competition is stiff: Paku Romi (NANA), Sakamoto Maaya (Ouran), Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi), and Tanaka Rie (Hataraki Man), among others. But I think she should win.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 01:31   Link #391
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

im on ep 28 right now and this is a really well done chinese historical classic

I really do hope 1 of the chinese producers license it and air it in China b/c this anime can be really educational
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 14:30   Link #392
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky View Post
(When oh when is Yura Kairi putting out an artbook anyways? If she has an artbook out, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.)
Kaira Yuki does indeed have an artbook out, but it isn't for this series~. Her "Tiara of Starlight" artbook is lovely. *_*

I hope she makes one for her newer art though (including Saiunkoku works), because her art has improved a lot since then (though back then it was still quite nice, too).
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 08:44   Link #393
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
I really do hope 1 of the chinese producers license it and air it in China b/c this anime can be really educational
I'm curious what aspects of this anime you think might be "educational" for China. (And, which China, by the way?) Are you suggesting that it would help educate Chinese viewers about their classical past and traditions? Or, as I might suspect, are you talking about the feminist portrayal of Shurrei?
Old 2007-02-19, 10:01   Link #394
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm curious what aspects of this anime you think might be "educational" for China. (And, which China, by the way?) Are you suggesting that it would help educate Chinese viewers about their classical past and traditions? Or, as I might suspect, are you talking about the feminist portrayal of Shurrei?
the old governmental system and the way politics work
Old 2007-02-19, 10:21   Link #395
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

If you're talking about governmental system and politics of Ancient China, there's tons of dramas that potray such in a more realistic manner like the 2nd or 3rd version of Deer and the Cauldron drama (( which was less of harem-loser and more on Kang Xi )) the Journey of an Emperor and several other dramas/movies that does real highlights on the political ups and downs of the ancient era, some even with a solid degree of historical truth. Saiunkoku may be based on the ancient Chinese era of Emperors, but it's still diffferent.

In my opinion, Saiunkoku is like a much better characterized and less tragic psuedo-ancient China version of an old post-WWII drama of a young girl's suffering and hardship as she strives to succeed and become someone who can contribute and help ease the suffering of China following the war tragedy. The only difference is that the tone of that drama was DARKKKKKK and that in her quest to rise up, she loses love, friends, and family to harsh reality whereas Shuurei can become who she is not only because of her own strength, but because of the people around her who care for her and protects her.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 10:25   Link #396
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

well, Saiunkoku Monogatari is the only anime ive seen with pretty good Chinese historical in it
Old 2007-02-19, 12:32   Link #397
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think Junni Kokki does a good job of portraying, albeit occasionally in a simplified and rather mystic way, some of the core beliefs of Confucianism. I'm thinking particularly of the entire Mandate of Heaven notion that justified imperial rule. If you've never watched that show, I strongly recommend it to you. Less romance and comedy than SaiMono, but you won't care.
Old 2007-02-19, 16:57   Link #398
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
well, Saiunkoku Monogatari is the only anime ive seen with pretty good Chinese historical in it
Only in terms of dress form the Tang period.

As far as how the ancient government is setup it is not even close.

Eigetsu for coming in First on the National Exam would not have been work over like he was in the anime before receiving his position. He would have been sent around on a tour of the country, starting with his hometown so he can settle any past grudges. Afterward he would have started his position and mark for rapid advancement. Also more then one first place winner have found themsevle marrying into the Royal Familiy if the Emperor have any sisters or Daughters of similar age.

The entire Sa familiy would have been kill nine generations up/down and side ways for plotting against the Emperor for the posion/kidnapped against Shurrei.

Also the Sa provience rebellion would have been crush by the Imperial Army.

Also Junni Kokki isn't a accurate look at how the ancient Chinese government was setup either.
Old 2007-02-19, 20:44   Link #399
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm afraid I think Xellos is generally right, that the resemblance to real ancient China is kind of approximate. But the show does give a nice romanticized version of it that gets some things across. It's romanticized kind of like modern Western versions of the European Middle Ages. Better that than nothing.

I'm enjoying the whole (totally impossible) idea that a young woman could become an official. And I'm happy to see anything that will help Japanese people gain respect and sympathy for China.

I'm happy also that they don't claim Ryuuki is actually the Chinese emperor: he is the "king" of a country that is maybe like a part of China, or just entirely mythical.

But the visual settings and costume, etc., are great, and fairly authentic. And any inauthenticity doesn't interfere with how much I enjoy the show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 09:13   Link #400
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm afraid I think Xellos is generally right, that the resemblance to real ancient China is kind of approximate. But the show does give a nice romanticized version of it that gets some things across. It's romanticized kind of like modern Western versions of the European Middle Ages. Better that than nothing.

I'm enjoying the whole (totally impossible) idea that a young woman could become an official. And I'm happy to see anything that will help Japanese people gain respect and sympathy for China.

I'm happy also that they don't claim Ryuuki is actually the Chinese emperor: he is the "king" of a country that is maybe like a part of China, or just entirely mythical.

But the visual settings and costume, etc., are great, and fairly authentic. And any inauthenticity doesn't interfere with how much I enjoy the show.
Spoiler for preventing clatter to reply to hashihime:

On another issue, Episode 38 summary + thoughts is up

Cheers and it's going to be the last episode. Sigh, I cannot wait for second season soon.

Tags
drama, historical, madhouse