Old 2013-08-05, 23:38   Link #361
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
>Berg Katze
>Mountain Cat

I have to wonder what went through their mind when they gave him a name like that.

Anyway it would be better to tell the others about the alien in every imaginable scenario. What's the point of keeping it a secret.
Yeah, I think at the point we start having people going to jail for crimes they didn't commit we probably should start revealing the whole alien thing . As of yet haven't seen Berg go after any saints (drunk, kid looking to threaten a teacher with a knife, angry mom, etc), but not exactly people who should go to jail for assaults and homicides either. Besides protecting their identities do they need to keep everything a secret and thus leave people extremely exposed and unprepared?
Old 2013-08-06, 02:16   Link #362
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, I think at the point we start having people going to jail for crimes they didn't commit we probably should start revealing the whole alien thing . As of yet haven't seen Berg go after any saints (drunk, kid looking to threaten a teacher with a knife, angry mom, etc), but not exactly people who should go to jail for assaults and homicides either. Besides protecting their identities do they need to keep everything a secret and thus leave people extremely exposed and unprepared?
Well, the only problem with that is the one that always comes up of how do you prove it? All these aliens or at least Berg can do Amnesia Effect and seems to be able to avoid detection pretty easily anyway. Gatchaman would than have to risk not being thought insane and that people wouldn't believe them anyway, and then there is all the aftermath that would come from them revealing themselves to a public that knows nothing of extraterrestrial life. They would have to face governments and a public that will praise but also fear them. This would greatly hamper their work. Also, since Paiman mentions a committee of some sort that governs out in space, it could be possible that they have sort of a "Prime Directive" sort of thing that doesn't allow them to reveal themselves for risk of affecting the culture and growth of the world.

Also, if they begin mentioning that there is an alien that has come to Earth and can turn into anyone and use their form for anything it pleases, they would invite such a panic and fear close to something like the situation in "The Thing", but on a much bigger scale.

And in the end it wouldn't make a difference because Berg can hide anywhere and as anyone and can use that panic and fear and escalate it to terror and anger therefore surely cause the very destruction he's looking for.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 19:20   Link #363
cyth
Banned

Nakamura Kenji should try to work with proper producers. Maybe move to KyoAni and turn that fujoshi den into his personal harem (because he is that sexy). Control, Gatchaman Crowds - these stories should've been handled by the best teams in the industry. It's just fucking disappointing to see such awful production value for such marvelous stories.

Anyway, I think I have a good grasp of what's going on and what the series is trying to say. It's kind of trying to reconcile the old and young generations. Whilst generations of old had institutionalized heroes, young people are now saving the world Anonymous-style. Basically, they all want to do good, each generation blames the other for their mistakes instead of trying to work with each other through collective wisdom. In this last episode, Rui's dark desire was to see The Institution burn, but at the same time he teamed up with the devil just so he wouldn't be powerless. I think people in The Institution battle their wars the same way. His ambition to accelerate the world ... Man, I can't stress enough how relatable that is, at least to my generation. We want to see change come fast, but change simply comes slowly, and he'll probably see that by the end of the show. That will be the point where the two generations will have reconciled.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 14:29   Link #364
bastek66

Dammit Utsutsu, stop being so cute
Old 2013-08-09, 15:50   Link #365
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Dammit Utsutsu, stop being so cute
Hard to stop when that's just what Utsutsu is . The power of cute can't be stopped that easily .
Old 2013-08-09, 15:58   Link #366
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I came here just to comment on Utsutsu's cuteness but I see I've been beaten to it.

I'll add that the episode provided some good insight on Rui's character. He is completely altruistic and unfortunately for him, not all of his "partners" are.
Old 2013-08-09, 16:46   Link #367
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Nakamura Kenji should try to work with proper producers. Maybe move to KyoAni and turn that fujoshi den into his personal harem (because he is that sexy). Control, Gatchaman Crowds - these stories should've been handled by the best teams in the industry. It's just fucking disappointing to see such awful production value for such marvelous stories.
Awful production values? How is this even remotely awful? Just because it's sometimes rough around the edges, and generally not all shiny as KyoAni's shows? (Really, if this is what you think "awful production value" is you must've not seen many shows with actually awful production values.) Also, I don't really see how the less than butter smooth animation hurts the story at all. In fact, I'd rather not see this story with the standard KyoAni visuals, be it character designs or animation. Maybe it's just me having extremely low standards, but in that case I can't say I mind, I'd rather have a rougher looking but interesting visuals than all smooth & shiny all the time. (Which is not to say I don't appreciate good production values, far from it. But a show doesn't need to be animated by KyoAni or PA Works to be awesome.)

Anyway, episode 5, aka "Rui meets Hajime, finally." XD I'm curious to see how Rui and Hajime's relationship will develop - Hajime is pretty much everything Rui has been seeking, plus an actual hero to boot. They execution of the themes wasn't very subtle (the show on the whole isn't very subtle so far), but eh, this is a hero anime after all, I can't help but find this sort of old-fashioned attitude charming.

And Jou lived to see one more episode, phew. He didn't really dodge any death flags, though.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-08-09 at 17:04. Reason: phrasing
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 20:22   Link #368
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Certainly not inaccurate for JJ to label Rui "the broken child." Going through incredible stress right now in trying to figure out what to do. Unfortunately giving powers to the hundreds hasn't quite worked out so well.

Power does corrupt after all and can't easily find a ton of people that are in a sense Hajime. Can look at the situation rationally and not get swayed too far in either direction. Uses Galax enough, but isn't completely absorbed in it either. Kind of a frightening thing where the first suggestions from #26 is using the Crowd power to kill people who are a problem.

Should be an interesting encounter next episode between Rui and Hajime. The very existence of Gatchamen being revealed right when Rui kind of needed that kind of confirmation.
Old 2013-08-09, 22:57   Link #369
JediNight
キズランダム

The choreography right at the end of the episode was kinda confusing though. I don't think she's planning to attack the CROWDS, seeing as they were helping people. But sprinting ahead with scissors at the ready spinning around like an attack move...?

I forget, did Rui previously comment on Gatchaman and say it was obviously a myth? My guess is Rui is brought onboard as a true Gatchaman by the end of the season. Seeing as JJ had that representation of him as the yellow bird with multi-colored wings.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 00:03   Link #370
dark998

This series has the best cliffhangers, ED song playing at the final seconds really has great effect. But damn Sugane, ordering Utsutsu to no use her power. I am so eager to see her G-Suit already.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 00:07   Link #371
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
The choreography right at the end of the episode was kinda confusing though. I don't think she's planning to attack the CROWDS, seeing as they were helping people. But sprinting ahead with scissors at the ready spinning around like an attack move...?

I forget, did Rui previously comment on Gatchaman and say it was obviously a myth? My guess is Rui is brought onboard as a true Gatchaman by the end of the season. Seeing as JJ had that representation of him as the yellow bird with multi-colored wings.
I think Hajime's actions are always somewhat confusing . Might have just charged forward with scissors to look cool. Or maybe preparing to cut open some cars to help get people out?

I think Rui wanted to believe in Gatchaman thus originally having X looking for signs of them, but in Rui's despair just gave up on the concept. Probably felt that they were a real chance at allies. People who would be more understanding of Rui's goals than say power hungry Crowds users.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2013-08-10 at 01:36.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 00:50   Link #372
JediNight
キズランダム

Uh... you do know that Rui is a boy, right?
Old 2013-08-10, 01:35   Link #373
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Uh... you do know that Rui is a boy, right?
Hey I'm allowed to misuse his/hers on occasion . Knew it and still screwed up anyways .
Old 2013-08-10, 01:53   Link #374
JediNight
キズランダム

I think the funniest thing pointed out to me, is the fact that Hajime literally runs with scissors.

Hajime what are you doing, you crazy girl!?
Old 2013-08-10, 02:03   Link #375
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
I think the funniest thing pointed out to me, is the fact that Hajime literally runs with scissors.

Hajime what are you doing, you crazy girl!?
Now she's just completely disregarding safety here . We already have explosions and fire and now she's going to add running with scissors to this situation!?
Old 2013-08-10, 08:30   Link #376
Dop
Mmmm....

Interesting episode here. Rui is clearly young and idealistic and wants to bring about a crowd-sourced revolution with no heroes and leaders, just the people. However the problem with that is people are people, and nobody's perfect.
Already there's dissent in the CROWDS ranks, who want to use their power more. Member 26 posits getting rid of corrupt politicians, criminals, bad companies, etc, but is revealed to just be a family man who dotes on his little girl.

Revolutions often replace one set of bad leaders with another set of bad leaders. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. CROWDS in a way is that absolute power, and Berg Katze is trying to corrupt Rui into depending on it more.

Good to see Utsutsu more focused, presumably not running duplicates, and cutely embarrassed when spotted with her origami frog.

J.J.'s prophecy, which nobody gets until it's too late (and I did wonder if this was Berg Katze's earthquake coming to pass), and Hajime, battered and bleeding, transforming for action against Sugane's advice.

Excellent episode.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 11:50   Link #377
rocket
Senior and Demented

Ok, the pacing is weird, but I think this is my favorite show of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Hey I'm allowed to misuse his/hers on occasion . Knew it and still screwed up anyways .
Hey, if Rui wants to be a she I'll respect that. She's moé as hell what with her dichotomies of idealism and angst, and otaku slobbishness and cute public facades.

Hm... seems like a ying-yang type theme going on here. Wonder if the fact I just finished marathoning Penguindrum is influencing how I view this show.
Old 2013-08-10, 13:24   Link #378
7thFonon
seventh

Quote:
She pulled out her scissors against Messy-chan too, but she didn't actually use them. Maybe that's just what she does to make a flashy entrance. :P
7thFonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 19:05   Link #379
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Managed to catch-up.

Rui and Hajime finally meet each other. This will definitely get interesting.
Old 2013-08-10, 21:26   Link #380
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

If I have to name one thing I like most about Hajime is how she cut through all the bullshit and hypocrisy of the Gatchaman and the 'rules' that they blindly follow.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reimagining, science fiction, superhero