AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 16:40   Link #341
tsunade666

Even if the girl is not dead or alive. Sniffing a dress of an opposite sex is already not normal. If the girl is dead it could be he is remembering her but still the dress is from the past and they are still kids back then. That one alone is kinda wrong and if the girl is alive and your sniffing her used dress. Its more abnormal.
Old 2011-04-22, 16:52   Link #342
minagoroshi-hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Normal people simply need to look at it, or just pray. You then have the issue of time, it’s been a good number of years since then whatever smell there was has been inhaled by the creep in the first year, or simply went away already by natural means. And even if say there was a smell, what exactly is it? blood? sweat? No matter how you look at it that was creepy, and it’s only purpose seems to have been to set him up as the antagonist. Let’s hope there is no boat around.
You're acting as if real people are flawless. I agree that it was a bit creepy but (hopefully) this doesn't have shounen-like characters with everything painted in black and white. He has his flaws just like everyone else in the show. They wouldn't be realistic if they weren't flawed. People are making too much of this.

It's abnormal, I agree. However, we shouldn't judge him yet. It's easy to hate on him without knowing the circumstances.
minagoroshi-hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:11   Link #343
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
What was Anaru supposed to say? Jinta is absent from school for a long period after all. She even bemoaned him in the first episode for playing hooky and rightly so. As much of a trauma it was, it's five years ago. He needs to pick himself up and think about his future. So what if people have preconceptions of you? These things happen whether he likes it or not.
Yes. But if it was your friend they were badmouthing, would you feel like staying there to hear it?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:16   Link #344
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2011-04-22, 17:18   Link #345
hero147

Am I the only one who was not grossed out by Yukiatsu's smelling scene? I understand the gesture and the same concept was applied in Clannad as well. The only thing creepy about the scene is how he got Menma's dress.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:30   Link #346
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by minagoroshi-hen View Post
It's abnormal, I agree. However, we shouldn't judge him yet. It's easy to hate on him without knowing the circumstances.
I’m not judging him yet, I said “antagonist” not “bad guy”. And he and the others are plenty flawed as is, the scene was not really necessary if that was the point. Well, anyway, time will tell.
Old 2011-04-22, 17:31   Link #347
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm struggling to remember the first two episodes of an anime that has impressed me as much as this has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes. But if it was your friend they were badmouthing, would you feel like staying there to hear it?
Well I think she was too distracted to say anything by the thought of Jinta having wet dreams about her lol. I really don't fault Tsuruko's behavior at all, from her perspective Naruko half heartily defended one insult (I think she did enough) and than said nothing (since she was uh blushing lol, but Tsuruko didn't see that) to another and had enough. What she said about Naruko was also correct, harsh but correct.

I think most people assume that Tsuruko has feelings for dress sniffer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they mix it up and it's actually Jinta she has feelings for. Apart from the incident in this episode she clearly didn't like the way Yukiatsu was talking to Jinta in the first episode. It also keeps up her resentment for Menma and people not getting over her as well as another factor in why she blasted Naruko. Not likely but I wouldn't be surprised....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:33   Link #348
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Am I the only one who was not grossed out by Yukiatsu's smelling scene? I understand the gesture and the same concept was applied in Clannad as well. The only thing creepy about the scene is how he got Menma's dress.
No, I'm pretty much the same. I think I'd feel differently if Menma was alive and he'd stolen her laundry, but as it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I think most people assume that Tsuruko has feelings for dress sniffer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they mix it up and it's actually Jinta she has feelings for. Apart from the incident in this episode she clearly didn't like the way Yukiatsu was talking to Jinta in the first episode. It also keeps up her resentment for Menma and people not getting over her as well as another factor in why she blasted Naruko. Not likely but I wouldn't be surprised....
Yeah, in the first ep, I thought she liked Jinta too. Now, I'm not sure.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:36   Link #349
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If I happen to agree, and Anaru seems to with slightly less harsh words, then yes.

Besides, it wasn't that bad to warrant a hissy fit. "He's a shut-in." Well, that's true I suppose. "I wouldn't want to be associated with him." You're free to. "He's probably fantasizing about you." Gosh, I am so outraged I am leaving right now! Begone, fiends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Apart from the incident in this episode she clearly didn't like the way Yukiatsu was talking to Jinta in the first episode.
I got the opposite impression. The "What are you getting so worked up over?" makes her seem she didn't care one bit and just wanted to go home.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:49   Link #350
tezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Just a short note to say that you're not alone. The whole device of a walking, talking ghost makes the drama a bit too far-fetched for me as well. It also cheapens the friends' healing process, I feel. Death is supposed to be final — that's what makes it devastating, after all. All the things you should have said and done but didn't, they are the reasons the regrets are so heavy and painful.
Well, I'm happy I'm not the only one who is somewhat sceptical about the ghost, then When I read the synopsis, there was no mention about Menma being dead/a ghost, so I was completely surprised when I watched the first episode...Imagine how brillant this series could've been without the ghost constantly chatting with Jintan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten320
Besides without ghost I don't see why Jintan would try to intereact with them after such a long time. There should have been a push of some sort.

The only problem with the ghost I see is that she is way too realistic looking to the point that Jintan can actually feel her like if she was real. I think it would'vr been better if she was slightly more transperent.
That's exactly what my problem is: Jintan needs a ghost to push him. Everyone gets back together because of a ghost, not because they themselves are brave enough to reunite again. Slice-of-life series usually claim to be, well, about life, and having a ghost helping you is a little off. If Menma had appeared in a dream and asked Jinta to reconcile the gang, then her appearance could be explained as a psychological phenomenon. But she's always accompanying him and influencing others as well: Remember when she hugged Anaru in ep1? Anaru felt the weight. The puppy barked at her and she can open doors. She is almost like a half-materialized being, not a manifestation of Jintan's desire to return to normalcy. Menma is real and not a result of Jintan's stress. That's why, in spite of their interactions, I can't really feel any connection to Menma and Jintan which is sad, because the story revolves around these two.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 18:21   Link #351
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Slice-of-life series usually claim to be, well, about life, and having a ghost helping you is a little off.
This is a misconception. There are quite a a few slice of life series out there that have supernatural elements in them. Haruhi, Clannad, Kamichu, Dennou Coil and Natsume Yuujinchou to name a few have supernatural elements. Hell, Nichijou of the current season has a robot and a talking cat.

The journey is what's important and using a spirit as a cataclyst is a choice of the creator. Sometimes they use a doppleganger, like in Cross Game, which is a bit out of the realm of believable too. Personally, I think it's refreshing that they dabble into the supernatural and make no pretense about it.

You may disagree, and truth be told it was pretty weird to see Menma eat meat, but it works as storytelling.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 19:12   Link #352
tezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
This is a misconception. There are quite a a few slice of life series out there that have supernatural elements in them. Haruhi, Clannad, Kamichu, Dennou Coil and Natsume Yuujinchou to name a few have supernatural elements. Hell, Nichijou of the current season has a robot and a talking cat.

The journey is what's important and using a spirit as a cataclyst is a choice of the creator. Sometimes they use a doppleganger, like in Cross Game, which is a bit out of the realm of believable too. Personally, I think it's refreshing that they dabble into the supernatural and make no pretense about it.

You may disagree, and truth be told it was pretty weird to see Menma eat meat, but it works as storytelling.
Haha yeah, where did the meat go to, anyway? And not to forget, ghost!Menma even took a bath and obviosly aged/matured while she was dead :/ (at least Jinta always emphasizes that)

Anyway, I think the ghost thing is just a matter of personal taste. I accept the fact that some people like it and some people dislike it. I also agree that there are slice-of-life series with supernatural elements. Series like Natsume Yuujinchou, or Mushishi and Aria are slice-of-life but the world they are set in is a different one from ours. Aria is set in an utopia, Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou in a world in which spirits officially exist. Events concerning these spirits can be applied to human emotions and relationships, it's a whole different level on which they approach life.
AnoHana however has that typical drama-vibe, the sort of drama that could happen in our own reality. It seems to approach life from the "normal" angle and is set in our ordinary world (with Pokemon references even!), yet it tries to add a supernatural element that in this context seems out of place. I guess that's what I was trying to express with "not slice-of-life like", I didn't mean that supernatural series can't be slice of life, but that there are certain slice-of-life "types" that don't go well with supernatural elements (imagine Honey and Clover or Toradora with ghosts)...but I am rambling. It's only how I personally feel though and I think we can agree to disagree here
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 19:30   Link #353
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Magical Realism. It has been around for more than 100 years now. I don't know what people keep getting uppity about.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 20:35   Link #354
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I have no problem with Menma being a ghost though I can see where tezu is coming from but there's one thing I strongly disagree with

Quote:
Jintan needs a ghost to push him. Everyone gets back together because of a ghostnot because they themselves are brave enough to reunite again.(...)If Menma had appeared in a dream and asked Jinta to reconcile the gang, then her appearance could be explained as a psychological phenomenon.
I can't quite figure out how to say this but I hope I'll make myself understandable.

You say Gintan needs a ghost to push him,I say that's not the case at all,because Gintan doesn't know she's a ghost,he assumes that it's a psychological phenomenon.So all of his actions have been the same as if Menma was just a delusion of his not because she's a ghost.
So so far Menma being a ghost or a delusion has had no effect on the character's decisions.
Old 2011-04-22, 21:11   Link #355
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Excellent episode, truly. I do agree that the dress thing is creepy.

Oh, and it looks like everyone liked each other but the only ones with common feelings were Menma and Gintan. I find it a little weird since they were so young, I don't think kids would develop those kinds of feelings at such a young age. Maybe things are different in Japan since the opposite usually had cooties at that age where I grew up.
Old 2011-04-22, 21:23   Link #356
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

All of us often need a push to get going or to do what is best. I don't think Menma being a ghost cheapens anything. Not for me, anyway.

I should add that although I am tentatively thinking she is a ghost, she might well just be a psychological phenomenon of Jintan's.

As for Yukiatsu's little treasure, I can't say I mind, although it was surprising and somewhat creepy to see him with it. I choose to think only of the fact that it shows his affection for Menma. As well as the contrast with his image as a straight student.

This reminds me of the news that Yuuki Aoi is contributing a dress to a charity auction for the earthquake. It's a dress she has worn on TV, but she makes the point in her blog that it has been cleaned and has no dirt or smells on it. In her 2channel thread, several posters have said that the dress having been washed reduces its value. I suspect Ao-chan occasionally braves the undoubted creepiness of that thread (too creepy for me to quote) and as a bit of an otaku herself, knows how some otaku can be.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 21:29   Link #357
Texas84
よろしく

Great episode. Just finished Madoka Magica so I was kind of a mess when I started this. So I lost it when they showed the taped sticker. Totally lost it.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 21:57   Link #358
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

at the taped sticker, i was like dawwwwwwww. are you sure that's a dress and not just a towel?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 22:01   Link #359
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Aw, everyone is going crazy for the Pokemon reference but no one else noticed the Wandering Son posters in the game store?
Anyway, I'm also surprised at how fast the old gang is starting to come back together, although I think it'll take a little longer for Anaru to come around. Also, someone else pointed it out earlier, but I'm wondering if we'll have a big, mid-season twist that will set back all of Jinta's progress, the show clearly likes tugging on heartstrings so I'm half expecting a bit shock later on.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 22:38   Link #360
kyouray
2D > 3D

Anaru getto !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I should add that although I am tentatively thinking she is a ghost, she might well just be a psychological phenomenon of Jintan's.
It should be something more complex since Anaru felt Menma's weight in the 1st episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
This reminds me of the news that Yuuki Aoi is contributing a dress to a charity auction for the earthquake. It's a dress she has worn on TV, but she makes the point in her blog that it has been cleaned and has no dirt or smells on it. In her 2channel thread, several posters have said that the dress having been washed reduces its value. I suspect Ao-chan occasionally braves the undoubted creepiness of that thread (too creepy for me to quote) and as a bit of an otaku herself, knows how some otaku can be.

To my mind this scene doesn't bother me. As Anh_Minh said it'd be different if Menma was alive and he'd stolen her laundry. I mean Menma's dead and he only has her dress as memory he can cherish so sniffing isn't so weird.

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy