AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 12 18.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 12.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.62%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.15%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 3.08%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-04, 08:58   Link #181
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You guys need to lighten up. It was pretty funny, IMHO.
Plus, all the references in the original series to Apollo as a dog now make perfect sense.
I agree that the scenes that referenced Apollo as a dog and scenes of a wolf and winged canine make sense now, but it really is all just confusing with all these red herrings thrown around.

All the 'signs/hints' in Genesis pointed at Pollon being either Rena or Apollo. For example, in an episode we were treated to a vision courtesy of Rena that depicted a creature running up to Apollonious from behind. At the time I'm pretty sure Rena was around, and connected it to her. However, in Rena's episode we were given a wolf howling scene during Apollo's cry for Rena. That said, maybe reincarnation shenanigans are at hand and the facets of Apollonious and Pollon got thrown around and merged? It sort of makes more sense that way if physical abilities, memories, desires, and the like were split and mashed together during the reincarnation cycle.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:11   Link #182
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiiroKun View Post
Still hoping for Amata-Mikono ending.. (:
Me too, yet shit is so funny lately.
Spoiler for too big picture:
Old 2012-06-04, 09:16   Link #183
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post
The heros is dog .... /facepale
Is that really any less believable than everything that's happened so far? Being naked makes you a better pilot? Okay. There's a guy named Andy W. Hole? Funny. The hero is a dog? Oh my god, the show is ruined.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-06-04, 09:52   Link #184
Arya

Uff, what the hell happened in this episode to turn up the page counter so high in the first day
Now I'm really curious, but I have to wait 'til tonight. The only thing I've checked are the poll results. And looking at who gave an high score and who not I probably will not be disappointed

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:57   Link #185
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

I still don't get it why Mikono feels obligated to apologize to Kagura only? Amata is Pollon too, isn't he?

Shrade's last music is nice. Wonder if we'll get the vocal version of it :3
Gekkou Symphonia is back!....... Right after I've grown to like Yunoha no Mori from the OST album
Old 2012-06-04, 10:19   Link #186
Gohan78
Awakened One

Can we please stop talking about bestiality?
First of all, Pollon wasn't just a dog but a Shadow Angel, an intelligent being.
Even if he was a dog, his reincarnation is a human being. Silvia didn't fall in love with a dog but with a man called Apollo. Mikono isn't in love with a dog but with a man called Amata. What he was in a previous life doesn't matter. It doesn't make her a dogf***er.

Concerning Kagura being able to summon the Solar Aquarion... it makes sense. Remember who were the last three pilots of the Solar Aquarion?

Apollo -> Kagura
Touma -> Zessikage = dark half of Touma
Sirius = dark half of Celiane -> Mikono

Mykage was clever. He recreated the trio who last piloted the Wings of the Sun. The only question now is what is his final objective.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2012-06-04, 10:23   Link #187
mayumi

Pollon couldn't even talk like the other shadow angel animals, so i can understand why people are conflicted about it
Old 2012-06-04, 10:26   Link #188
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

So we have people that think this is stupid. People that think this is genius. And people that think it makes sense, but is still stupid.

I'd have to say I'm in group 3
Old 2012-06-04, 10:28   Link #189
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
I still don't get it why Mikono feels obligated to apologize to Kagura only? Amata is Pollon too, isn't he?
Mykage messed stuff up pretty badly when he split Amata. Kagura got the smell and the connection, Amata retained the powers and wings of Pollon (or something). It does seem like both Amata and Kagura were drawn to Mikono, so both have Apollo in them, just fragments.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:29   Link #190
miketyson

Put me in group 2.5: I started out thinking it was just a hilarious joke but the more I think about it the more I like it a lot. Probably easier for me to absorb as someone who still hasn't seen Genesis.

Gohan78: you do point out an interesting possibility: Kagura is literally "Dark Amata", Mykage is basically "Dark Touma", and Mikono...well, she's not actually dark Celianne, but with purple hair and being so depressed all the time it's fair to say she's at least a bit dark...very very interesting.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:35   Link #191
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

@miketyson

It makes sense like you said. Looking back at genesis, it does. That doesn't make it good storytelling though. Hold on, I take that back, I gotta see where they go with this. Maybe it won't be that bad.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:38   Link #192
mayumi

So the real question for Amata the main character is Can he escape the fate of being a loyal dog? Can he jump over it and be a person by evolving into someone not obsessed with past lover?
Techincally Amata is in Silvia's shoes atm.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:55   Link #193
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
So we have people that think this is stupid. People that think this is genius. And people that think it makes sense, but is still stupid.

I'm in Group 3 as well. Show is too entertaining for me to care about its plotholes.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-06-04, 11:02   Link #194
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I'm in Group 3 as well. Show is too entertaining for me to care about its plotholes.
I didn't watch Genesis, but according to some people who did, there aren't plotholes. Kawamori could have perfectly been hatching his troll for seven years.

The one I feel really angry at is Izumo. he lets the son (well half the son) of the woman he supposedly loves to be raised by Mykage who hates his guts and has been abusing him on daily basis.

What an horrible man.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:03   Link #195
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Mykage messed stuff up pretty badly when he split Amata. Kagura got the smell and the connection, Amata retained the powers and wings of Pollon (or something). It does seem like both Amata and Kagura were drawn to Mikono, so both have Apollo in them, just fragments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
So the real question for Amata the main character is Can he escape the fate of being a loyal dog? Can he jump over it and be a person by evolving into someone not obsessed with past lover?
I think Amata has already escaped the fate of being the incarnation of Pollon, thanks to Mykage separated him.

Amata were drawn to Mikono because for him Mikono is Mikono-saaaaan. It's just a cruel fate that made Amata fall in love (or obsessed ) with the same girl who was his past life's lover. But that's not the reason he loves her, isn't it? Unlike Kagura who were drawn to Mikono because she is 'his' Sylvie/a.

For better or worse, Amata began to notice her because she remind him of her mother/Alisia But it was after their date they began to develop feeling for each other, without even knowing that they are lovers on their past life 12,000 years ago. I mean if from the beginning Amata loves her because Mikono is her destined girl, he wouldn't given up when he mistook Cayenne as Mikono's boyfriend/fiance, would he?
Old 2012-06-04, 11:03   Link #196
Destined_Fate

Quote:
That wont happen. They really want Amata and Mikono to work with the fate being defied thing which makes even less sense now than it did before. Guess they realy like girls and dogs playing together in "that" way while watching(Fudo)?
Old 2012-06-04, 11:05   Link #197
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
That wont happen. They really want Amata and Mikono to work with the fate being defied thing which makes even less sense now than it did before. Guess they realy like girls and dogs playing together in "that" way while watching(Fudo)?
I wouldn't be so definitive if I were you. they have been getting out of their way to give their relationship plenty of intentional bad moments.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:06   Link #198
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
I didn't watch Genesis, but according to some people who did, there aren't plotholes. Kawamori could have perfectly been hatching his troll for seven years.
Except there are plotholes. But I'm a bit too disgusted by this blatant and shameless trolling to go into that other than that there were lots of scenes that only made sense if Apollo = Apollonius.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:06   Link #199
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post

I am also in Group 3. In hindsight, they should have gave more hints or foreshadowing of Pollon in genesis. In other words, they should have highlighted the shadow angel dog as another major part of the reicarnation cycle.

Quote:
In a way, yes. If Amata wants to screw fate, he needs to get over Mikono or love her as a person not because of the reincarnation shenanigans. It also highlights a problem with reincarnation romance. What's stopping the unlucky one at romance from reincarnating again to have another shot. If anything, Zessica might follow the same path as Pollon in waiting another 12,000 for love. Thereby it screws yet again the reincarnated romance making it even more twisted than it already is.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:06   Link #200
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
I don't dislike the troll. In fact I love it. It's a master troll.

What I don't like is the bad romance between the main characters.
Draging their relationship for no good reason. Showing Zessica caring while Mikono is not. Amata moping over trivial stuff instead of taking action. Most of their interaction had been about Mikono being pissed off and Amata making excuses for things he isn't responsible of. basically bad interactions and no development. How am I supposed to root for that ?
That's pretty close to my own take.

The troll is pretty hilarious, at least for those of us who weren't particularly invested in the previous Aquarion shows. The troll was also presented in a way that makes pretty good sense. Never underestimate Aquarion EVOL's ability to make the utterly silly seem actually acceptable.

But... the troll does absolutely nothing to fix the increasingly weak romance and romance drama of this anime. I was hoping that the dog spoiler would help fix this, but nope, it doesn't.

Zessica is basically a living, walking, multipurpose plot device that doubles as a Tragic Character on Steroids. I don't think I've ever seen an anime character abused more in all my life. At least a lot of other notable tragic anime characters had some sort of point to their tragedy. I don't see any point in what Zessica is being put through, other than sheer writer convenience.

Now, the romance issues aside, this show has simply superb execution. It's very good at masking its weaknesses with great theatrics, cool BGM, and lovely visuals, while I watch it. This truly was a great episode for Shrade, while Fudo and Mykage were as entertaining as ever.

But the main pairing hasn't been compelling in ages. Indeed, their dialogue has basically reached self-parody levels.

Aquarion EVOL is basically Insanity Hot Wings: The Anime.

Really spicey, and it's like there's a party in your mouth as you eat it, but it can leave a very nasty aftertaste.

8/10 for Episode 23 of Insanity Hot Wings: The Anime