AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-11-19, 21:15   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Older, down-to-earth series in the vein of Maison Ikkoku and Touch

I haven't watched much anime in recent times as I've gotten older, but I'm in something of a wistful mood to spend some time back with my old hobby.

I'm interested in finding older series (particularly those from the 80s or 90s) in the vein of Maison Ikkoku and Touch and to a lesser extent like Kodocha or Kimagure Orange Road.

That is:
-generally long with a relaxed pace but gradual development
-take place in the real world
-lacking melodrama, instead an easy-going balance of touching moments, humour, and romantic elements
-generally based around a formula of following a particular group of characters living their lives and watching them grow (whether thats kids like in Touch, or adults like in Maison Ikkoku).

I'm sure those who have seen the series I mentioned above recognize what I'm asking for. Any suggestions?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Theowne

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2013-11-20 at 22:30.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 21:52   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
You have already checked out the many works of World Masterpiece Theatre, right? They might be the sort of thing you are looking for - though not many take place in contemporary Japan, per se.
Old 2013-11-19, 21:59   Link #3
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Diamond Daydreams, and maybe Piano, immediately leap to mind.
Old 2013-11-19, 22:10   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
You have already checked out the many works of World Masterpiece Theatre, right? They might be the sort of thing you are looking for - though not many take place in contemporary Japan, per se.
Yes, I'm very well familiar with WMT, though, as you say, my current request is a little more geared towards older anime in a Japanese setting.

Old 2013-11-19, 23:18   Link #5
jedinat

How about You`re Under Arrest!
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 23:31   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Theowne! It's so good to see you again.

I'm going to need to give you something really good for your request.

Hmmm...

The only older one that comes to mind that isn't already on your list is Ah My Goddess.

It's not exactly what you are looking for, it of course has some supernatural elements, and the art style is what I think of as Love Hina style (actually the AMG OVA is one of the earliest examples of this style) rather then Maison Ikkoku. It's also a little cheesier then some of the others you listed, but it has a spirit similar to what you are looking for. Slice of Life with comedic and romantic elements.

I know you emphasized older shows, and Silver Spoon is much more recent (this year), but I think it fits what you are looking for quite well. It has a simple art style and is focused on a student who burnt out on studying and so ran away from the competition by attending an agricultural highschool. Check out the trailer.

Another newer show that seems to fit what you want is Chihayafuru. All about a girl and her love of a traditional Japanese card game, and her efforts to start up a club based around it. Despite others preference of activities more modern.

Those would be my first recommendations for you.

While you're here though, I have a few other shows that I think you'd enjoy, even if they aren't what you are asking for.

First and foremost is Madoka Magica. I think I've even recommended it to you before. I think you will enjoy the story, and I am certain that you will love the soundtrack.

Some that might be worth watching an episode to see if you like it:

Kotoura-san a tragi-comedy about the difficulties of a mind reader fitting into a society like Japanese that emphasizes concealing your true feelings.

Minami-ke is a slice of life about three sisters. Their daily lives with comedic elements. Simple art style. Actually pretty close to what you requested.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun A strange love story of a strong willed study bug and a shy delinquent boy.

Tari Tari Five highschool students start a choir club together.

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys I think you'll especially like the story of the literary girl.

Hanasaku Iroha a girl sent to live with her grandmother.

Ano Hana about childhood friends.

I'll also mention Space Battleship Yamato 2199 which is a remake of the great classic. More Battlestar Galactica than Slice of Life, still it has that older art style. And of course I remember it fondly from when I first saw it in the 80s, back when life after a nuclear holocaust seemed a more realistic future then what we have today.

I haven't had as much time myself to watch anime, so here is one I have not seen myself, but the description sounds promising:

Sakamichi No Apollon Set in the 60s about two friends who enjoy jazz.

I hope those are useful suggestions for you.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 01:47   Link #7
fukarming

I assume you already combed through anime adapted from Adachi Mitsuru (creator of Touch)? Cross Game will give you a similar vibe despite it is post 2000s. If you want something older Slow Step is made into an OVA. I personally dislike the anime adaptation of H2 even though H2 manga is my favourite Adachi Mitsuru.

For something more from the left field, try Patlabor. While it has mecha, it is really a down-to-earth series about the everyday life of a bunch of cops.

Have you watched Marmalade boy? it is quite close to your description. Someone once describe Kodocha as "Marmalade boy on crack"

How about Hana Yori Dango? Very popular back in the days.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 12:20   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Mizuiro Jidai comes to mind though I don't think it reaches the heights of the shows you mentioned.

Maybe Yawara! as well.
Old 2013-11-20, 20:19   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Sackett - Good to see you too. Your avatar makes me nostalgic for those old Cross Game threads. I appreciate your detailed list, and I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Though I'm not opposed to newer series, I have to admit my heart is in a nostalgic mood right now

fukarming - Your assumption about Cross Game and Adachi is correct. Cross Game is a good example of the sort of "formula" I'm looking for.

I've heard the comparison of Kodocha to Marmalade Boy before, and what has kept me away from MB is mostly a perception of the series as centering primarily around love triangles and angst, which is not really what I enjoyed about Kodocha. To be fair, though, I didn't particularly like Kodocha at first glance either, so I suppose I'll give it a chance and see if it can win me over.

totoum - Those look like good candidates for my request - I'll give them a look. I've actually been reccomended Yawara! before, and I suppose it slipped my mind.

Last edited by Theowne; 2013-11-20 at 23:47.
Old 2013-11-20, 23:00   Link #10
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm... now that it is mentioned I have been meaning to get to Yawara one of these days too.

I liked Marmalade Boy, but I honestly prefered the manga.

It's a recent series, and it is an odd one, but have you tried Nazo no Kanojo X? The art style reminds me of stuff from the 90's, and it some ways it is an improvement over the manga - they did a really good job wth it in my opinion. I had read the manga before the adaptation, so I was prepared but for those who had not it was generally a mixture of and and

If you know what I mean.... ^^

Edit: Have you seen Kare Kano? Manga is better in my opinion, but if you've not seen it perhaps that might fit the bill...

Last edited by Flower; 2013-11-21 at 00:05.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 08:56   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yes, I've seen Kare Kano. Certainly a series I enjoyed (the first couple of episodes are one of my favourite expositions of "young love"), though not necessarily what I would call an easy-going series.

Last edited by Theowne; 2013-11-21 at 19:34.
Old 2013-11-21, 09:13   Link #12
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
@Theowne: Just realized the Mizuiro Jidai ANN page sort of makes it sound like there's this big love triangle when it's not really the case.There's romance but I wouldn't call it the focus of the show.

And I'll actually 2nd Nazo No Kanojo X because I loved it and one of its characteristics was that even if it was made in 2012 everything about it screamed 90s , just look at the OP,

Tthe again the title character is anything but down to earth and the premise might weird you out
Old 2013-11-21, 19:32   Link #13
Theowne
耳をすませば

totoum: Don't worry, the last sentence of the ANN page for Mizu Iro Jidai actually sounds like a good possibility for what I'm looking for:

Quote:
The story explores the relationships between these three characters as they confront everyday.....problems.
And anyways, I'm not completely averse to love triangles. To some extent, all the series I listed in the OP have them. I just dislike when series treat them as a major source of angst in a characters' life.

Last edited by Theowne; 2013-11-21 at 21:49.
Old 2013-11-21, 20:03   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Yup, Mysterious Girlfriend X does come across as 80's.

As does Ah My Goddess.

So does Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, though that is more a of a shonen fighter then romance.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 17:05   Link #15
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

In case you're still looking for shows then I heavily recommend Gingitsune which just finished. It's like a lighter version of Natsume Yuujinchou although you might consider it unlike anything else by the time you're done. Very low key relaxing slice of life that gets better and better the more you watch.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote