Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-05-26, 22:52   Link #61
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Except going by the Galaxy Treaty it is illegal to invade other planets with sentient life. Emigrants made a treaty with the Windermereans which they also signed.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.or...elineTF02A.php
And just as in real life, I don't expect treaties to prevent the kinds of sovereignty violations that they are supposedly meant to prevent. It's far more realistic that they don't, actually. Furthermore, even if they're made with supposedly good intentions, there are often things that the more powerful side gets the weaker side to agree to that eventually causes problems that the weaker side cannot then mitigate or solve. And these are often problems that the stronger side doesn't regard as problematic, even if the weaker side does.

Honestly speaking, I don't expect to convince many people, but I'd just like to make it clear where I am coming from. A few years back, I used to dismiss certain issues with little more than the cursory rhetorical questions of "why do some Aboriginal Australians make full use of advantage of the opportunities that the government is now trying to give to them?" and "why do some minority communities in the US continue to claim that they're discriminated against when there is so much affirmative action directed at resolving that?" etc etc. And then I started reading and listening to people from those communities actually explain how they see the institutions that the rest of us have set up to 'help' them. Whilst I cannot speak for them, it was eye-opening, to say the least.

And that's why I'm basically trying to apply the same thing here, at least for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I... ya know what, I can't joke with you.
Well, where I come from, this isn't a joking matter...

Quote:
Anyway look, this is not real life. This is the Wind, a nation consisting of kids at this moment looking as if they are throwing a fit. This perception might change, but at the moment, their actions aren't helping.
I've been reading a few Delta interviews recently, and "different value systems" is one of the themes they're trying to show. In my own experience, however, people from dominant cultures like our own are far less likely to acknowledge that such differences exist, much less allow them to be legitimate in any way.

We might think they are ridiculous, just as I find e.g. some of the beliefs of certain US political factions or other subnational groups ridiculous. But there are people who genuinely hold those beliefs. Given where you stand in the gun regulations debate, I think you should understand that, at least, non?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-05-27 at 04:37.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 03:13   Link #62
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Sure, that was the interpretation... many decades ago. You're kind of... outdated with this. There was discomfort after the Bourbon Reforms, but the interest was all $$$ I assure you except in a very very small "intellectual" minority. They wanted free trade because of their deal with the British Empire.
Which has to do what exactly with the comparison to the Windbags? You seem to be imposing a complex real world issue on a few declarations of a group of highly biased individuals (We wus robbed I tell you!), which also still vastly lack in detail.

I would view any declarations of intent of the Windbags to be highly suspect at this moment in time.
Old 2016-05-27, 03:36   Link #63
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Which has to do what exactly with the comparison to the Windbags? You seem to be imposing a complex real world issue on a few declarations of a group of highly biased individuals (We wus robbed I tell you!), which also still vastly lack in detail.
No, I agree that the Windermerians might be based vaguely on the political aggravations and mistreatments that led to the romantic speech of revolutions. Which are, by the way, regarded as heroes as far history goes down. What I'm saying that such thing never quite took place in South America, and it was mostly about getting trade privileges (there were a minority who were actually idealists). But in either case, they did trample with the opposition by claiming to liberate them. That happens all the time and for a good reason. Who would want to have enemy bases so near your home that could easily organize to attack you when you least expect? There's no true independence until you secure a safe area outside your enemies' influence.

I don't see this as evil or a jerk move, I see this as completely sensible and smart. It's geopolitics. Nothing personal. And they would regard it as liberation.

By the way, we see them before the war in their manga, there's no such wickedness or any instability as you presume they are. Why don't you take a look at it? So far, they are just chilling and minding their business as loving friends, family, and accessible characters. You can fully assume something happened to change that, mm? Not that the show didn't drop hints when their King was Arad's friend. You can't expect them to reveal everything now when the manga which is still ongoing. Have patience.

Quote:
I would view any declarations of intent of the Windbags to be highly suspect at this moment in time.
Eh, they have a POV manga while NUNS don't. Sounds like you're setting yourself up for disappointment, to be honest. This vaguely reminds me of people against the Vajra when they weren't the villains of Frontier. Same case scenario, imo. This doesn't mean, of course, Windermerians are doing something good, they aren't, but it's very unlikely they are super-villains or blatantly evil as you guys presume. In particular when nobody is speaking highly of NUNs and there's some Char clone as leader of a shady group.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 03:53   Link #64
magnuskn

I have to go to work, so just a few seconds to answer: I didn't buy the Vajra "good guy conversion". I still don't.
Old 2016-05-27, 03:58   Link #65
Thess

Vajra were innocent and provoked by Galaxy.

I'm fairly sure some members would be enraged when the understanding ending kicks in and we'll have Heinz becoming a sixth Walkure.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-05-27, 04:19   Link #66
deadite

Also, Im already seeing Bogue being setup as Freyjas foil and Hayates rival. He clearly felt the good vibes that Freyja was generating but resisting it because he can't reconcile a traitor making something beautiful. Expect something happens to Herman (who by the way is the coolest knight) that galvamizes Bogue to question his convictions.

Windermere is touchy subject because they are the antagonists who act the most human of all. A dark reflection of Macross protagonists of past who also uses VFs and song to win(they even have their own Roy). Its like Marduk only done better.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 04:33   Link #67
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I've been reading a few Delta interviews recently, and "different value systems" is one of the themes they're trying to show. In my own experience, however, people from dominant cultures like our own are far less likely to acknowledge that such differences exist, much less allow them to be legitimate in any way.

We might think they are ridiculous, just as I find e.g. some of the beliefs of certain US political factions or other subnational groups ridiculous. But there are people who genuinely hold those beliefs. Given where you stand in the gun regulations debate, I think you should understand that, at least, non?
I have nothing to add, because I agree with all you say. Funny I don't care about the Aerial Knights too much, but I have to shake my head in disbelief at some stuff I read here.

Old 2016-05-27, 05:54   Link #68
magnuskn

Quote:
I'm sure that's of great comfort to the many thousands of people whom they slaughtered on Frontier.
Old 2016-05-27, 06:01   Link #69
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Eh? More like they thought their Queen was in trouble. Once they realize Sheryl is singing that there exist individuals they were "Oh Shit We're Sorry We Didn't know Better!" "Here Take This Planet As Reparation."

I'm predicting old Gramia will die and Heinz after being convince that they are wrong will abdicate the throne so that Windermere will have reforms. Reflecting what happened in Japan.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 09:46   Link #70
Mikobun
Eat-suki

Mission 09 preview from another board

Spoiler for images:

Spoiler for :

http://macross.jp/delta/story/
Old 2016-05-27, 10:11   Link #71
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Is it here? Is it finally here? Long awaited shipping skirmish war!? I am ready!

ONWARD!! For Sigmar ... urm... Sheryl... ...

We need a rallying cry...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 10:22   Link #72
magnuskn

Sherylmarines?
Old 2016-05-27, 10:25   Link #73
Tak

Quote:
Sherylmarines?
New paint scheme discovered!!!

My UltraSmurfs shall be adorned with UltraPINK!!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2016-05-27, 10:40   Link #74
magnuskn

"For the Holy Empress!!!!" has a good ring to it.

Also, it's strawberry blonde. ^^
Old 2016-05-27, 10:45   Link #75
Tak

Red face

Quote:
"For the Holy Empress!!!!" has a good ring to it.

Also, it's strawberry blonde. ^^
Lets compromise. I paint them all pink and give em a blond wig. Hows that?

- Tak (how many Warhammer 40K fans will I piss off then?)

Old 2016-05-27, 10:47   Link #76
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, God... It's gonna be a bloodbath, isn't it?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 11:19   Link #77
magnuskn

Quote:

Please make photos if you are really prepared to go as far for Sheryl.
Old 2016-05-27, 12:07   Link #78
azarhal

More pretty sunset and 14 years old discovering uneasiness that their male pal are getting close to a female coworker.

edit:
4ch also have future episode titles:

Spoiler for moonrunes:

10. The Flash of Axia
11. Jellyfish Reminiscences
12. King of the Wind
13. Diving Passion/Fury (?)
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 12:54   Link #79
lfhoule

Quote:

Considering I've seen the Hello Kitty marines and kept my sanity...
lfhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 17:22   Link #80
ReddyRedWolf

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Before_1_BC
Quote:
PC 2865

Development on powerful biological weapons based on the Zentradi, "Evil Series," begins. [Note: "Evil" pronounced as "Eh-vil."] Evil is the abbreviation of the Protoculture term for "advanced (Zentradi) all-enivron biological weapon." Trial production takes place on a scientifically advanced planet (the first planet of the star system later known as Varauta), but because of unresolvable problems with the weapons' power exceeding the fighting capability requirements, trial production is halted.

PC 2868

On the [aforementioned] scientifically advanced planet, the existence of a sub-universe is confirmed. According to survey results, this sub-universe is abound with super high levels of extra-dimensional energy, and this energy is discovered to have the potential for application.The trial production of super dimension energy gates which can supply energy from the sub-universe is begun, and genetically engineered biological super dimension organs are developed. These biological super dimension organs are extremely compact, and they are expected to supply enormous amounts of energy.
Because of power problems, the trial production begins implementing the technology from the terminated "Evil Series." No problems are uncovered in simulations.
The internal conflicts within the Stellar Republic revives the development of the "Evil Series."

PC 2870

A Protoculture survey ship stops temporarily on "Earth." By genetically reconstructing the native life, it plots the emergence of a sub-Protoculture adapted to the planetary environment, "Humankind," to prepare for future colonization. During its return to its home planet, the survey ship is destroyed by military ships opposed to the Stellar Republic. Records of Earth and Humankind are eventually lost. [PC 2900]

PC 2871

On the [aforementioned] scientifically advanced planet, trial production of the "Evil Series" for final tests is begun. Seven Evil Series weapons of seven types including a highly mobile, humanoid "Sivil" for search-and-destroy functions and a super-scale, high-powered "Glavil" for fleet warfare are completed. The Evil Series tests are begun, but at the same time biological super dimension organs overload and extradimensional energy is released. The Evil Series' bodies are occupied by the spiritual energy life form from the sub-universe and thus creating, from the massive fighting capability of the Evil Series and the enormous potential of the spiritial energy, beings with extraordinary fighting ability and a coveting for life energy, "Spiritia." They covet Spiritia in order to continue existing as extra-dimensional beings in this universe. They begin invading the surrounding planets and systems using spaceships and weapons of people from the scientifically advanced planet that they brainwashed. (They later become known as the Supervision Army).

Interestingly enough it seems the YF-29 and the YF-30 with its descendant the VF-31 possibly managed to tap into sub-space for power with Fold Quartz and Fold Receptors without Super Dimension Organs. The Protoculture's mistake was making it organic allowing energy beings in.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.or...sms04aYF29.php
Quote:
Aircraft Explanation
The YF-29 Durendal is an aircraft that was developed with the assumption that it would be used in a decisive battle with the Vajra. The Macross The YF-29 Durendal is an aircraft that was developed under the assumption that it would be used in a decisive battle with the Vajra. The Macross Frontier Fleet and L.A.I. Co. played an important role in the development of this aircraft in the environment of the incident where the 117th Large Research Fleet had sustained a Vajra raid. It's greatest feature is the Fold Wave System, a device that uses high-purity fold quartz that exists only inside of the Vajra's bodies. As a result, it became possible to supply the craft with energy from sub-space, and coupled with 4 high-power thermonuclear reactor engines, this craft acquired an overwhelming manoeuvrability. Simultaneously, the fold quartz enabled the control of fold waves as an additional function of the Fold Wave System, and the YF-29 succeeded in interfering with the communications between the Vajra in combat.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote