AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-11, 15:40   Link #101
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
So best scene of the movie goes to?

A) The train terminal, complete with bookmark ticket, and Alt!Yuki hold Kyon's sleeve and Haruhi waiting on the other side.

B) Kyon vs Inner Kyon, complete with borderline hate crime face stomping.

C) Kyon x Nagato moment on the hospital roof, complete with a make shift traditional Japanese wedding veil and Kyon on one knee.

D) Nagato's super cute reaction after the credits.

E) None of the above.
Well, while I disagree with E, there is certainly much to be said about all of these. However, I'd probably vote for C myself, but then I'm enough of a romantic that I wish he could marry the young (?) alien. Then again, that would make Haruhi sad, so I guess she'll have to reinvent a world where polygamy is legal in Japan
Old 2010-04-11, 15:45   Link #102
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

A) The train terminal, complete with bookmark ticket, and Alt!Yuki hold Kyon's sleeve and Haruhi waiting on the other side.

C) Kyon x Nagato moment on the hospital roof, complete with a make shift traditional Japanese wedding veil and Kyon on one knee.

E) None of the above.
E) None of the above.
Spoiler for movie:
C) is close if only for the incredible background. And you just knew KyoAni had to work in a sad emotionless girl in snow somehow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Season 2 (or 3..depending on your thought on what Haruhi 2009 was) will answer that...maybe. I sort of remember the part of a following novel (7 I think) that dealt with the aftermath of those events...but it has been a few years since I read that one.
Spoiler for later novels:
Old 2010-04-11, 16:15   Link #103
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Just saw the movie. Slightly different than how I remember the novel, but my god did this make up for Endless Eight. Fantastic film- 10/10.
Old 2010-04-11, 18:23   Link #104
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Just saw the movie. Slightly different than how I remember the novel, but my god did this make up for Endless Eight. Fantastic film- 10/10.
I'm glad that it wasn't exactly like it, though.
The policeman looked like a kidnapper..
Old 2010-04-11, 22:59   Link #105
wingman32x

Just finished the movie, and I thought it was very good. Not a masterpiece, but it was very well done. I liked how Kyon's character developed during the course of the movie. I also loved the alternate Nagato, she was so cute. The animation looked great, and the plot was good, too. That being said, I thought it was a bit too long. IMO, they could have shaved 15-30 minutes off the run time and still have the plot remain in tact. It dragged on at times, too.

About it's #1 overall ranking on MAL, only 774 people rated it. Most of the top ten have been rated over 20,000 times. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it'll be pretty hard to maintain that 9.12 average IMO. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Overall, I give disappearance an 8/10. A very good movie, but I thought it dragged on at times.
Old 2010-04-12, 01:25   Link #106
Vegard Aune

Quote:

E) None of the above.
Either B or E.

For the record, "E" would in this case be
Spoiler for ...:
Old 2010-04-12, 05:38   Link #107
kazewa

Quote:
Season 2 (or 3..depending on your thought on what Haruhi 2009 was) will answer that...maybe. I sort of remember the part of a following novel (7 I think) that dealt with the aftermath of those events...but it has been a few years since I read that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Oh, volume 7, ic... Thanks, I'm going to check it soon
Old 2010-04-12, 11:19   Link #108
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
E) None of the above.
Spoiler for movie:
C) is close if only for the incredible background. And you just knew KyoAni had to work in a sad emotionless girl in snow somehow...

I really thought that was done very well... come on... when Kyon said "Yuki..." and that sorta knee-jerk reaction Nagato had... that was good... too bad for her that "Yuki.." was just really yuki...

Am, I really the only one who thought that final scene after the credits was extremely cute... and only makes me only want to hug Nagato even more?
Old 2010-04-12, 13:23   Link #109
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, that was really great... it even managed to live up to the gigantic hype for me, and that's quite a feat. I'm glad I managed to avoid most spoilers, I knew the overall plot but that was it. Kyon getting

Spoiler for spoiler:
made me jumped out of my seat. Wow. I can't wait for the blu-ray now !
Old 2010-04-12, 19:15   Link #110
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Starting over since my reflection was deleted as I was writing it.

Spoiler for reflections so far:

Gotta take a break....I'll be back to finish up the movie (thank god I have this option), but it's easily the best thing that Kyoto Animation has produced in a long time even if I want to most of the characters to suffer some horrible fate and for the pacing to pick up already. Strip all the hype/fanboyism away from this affair and I think we still actually have something going here for a change which is a huge relief and surprise. Of course the night and the movie is still young.....

Spoiler for continuing on from the 30 minute mark:

This is dragging pretty bad at this point as I had heard it would from some of the reviews I've read and the Daily Show is coming on so I'm going to go take another break. I get the feeling it's about to finally pick up though so hopefully that is the case when I get back in 30.

Good episode of the Daily Show...well back to the movie then.

Spoiler for From the 1:20 minute mark:

Finally made it to the two hour mark and I guess I'm ready for the finale. Right now I'm thinking that it's not so much Disappearance that is the highlight of this franchise so much as any part surrounding the events that took place during the Tanabata Festival and Kyon getting a chance to be the anime equivalent Marty Mcfly. Going to take one more break and then come back to finish this off once and for all.

Alright let's finish this off:

Spoiler for From the 2 hour mark:

Well that was overall pretty darn good considering how the first hour went. The first part as I mentioned dragged horribly and really made me question whether I wanted to continue watching, but it eventually got going and ended up being well worth my time. I kind of equate it to the anime equivalent of Avatar along with the obvious comparisons to Back To The Future Part II I mentioned. Gorgeous animation quality, decentish story with a few inconsistencies and plot holes here and there that make you question the whole thing by the end. Certainly a far way from the masterpiece it's been hyped as (no surprise) but kind of feels like my first summer blockbuster of the year all the same. Enjoyed parts of it, suffered through others, will probably forget about it soon enough.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-04-13 at 01:16.
Old 2010-04-13, 01:26   Link #111
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not quite sure how to take that...critic...of the movie.
Old 2010-04-13, 01:52   Link #112
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
a few inconsistencies and plot holes here and there
Really? There were no plot holes or inconsistencies, just some possibly confusing scenarios. Lay them out so we can help you understand them.
Old 2010-04-13, 02:14   Link #113
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Really? There were no plot holes or inconsistencies, just some possibly confusing scenarios. Lay them out so we can help you understand them.
If Nagato is capable of altering reality so that Haruhi is powerless and she is an extension of the Data Entity then that means the data entity should be capable of manipulating Haruhi as well. Why not then just forgo sending Nagato and Asakura to observe her as an agent and manipulate Haruhi in a controlled experiment of it's own so that they can understand the nature of her power and what it means. In fact if the Data Entity is capable of superseding Haruhi's powers and taking them away from her then why even pay her any mind in the first place? It makes Haruhi look less important and threatening to the Data Entity then the earlier seasons and novels showed and seems to contradict what they said about her abilities in them as well.

Quote:
Not quite sure how to take that...critic...of the movie.
I can't tell you how, but might I suggest taking it like Haruhi takes daily life? Looking to be impressed but instead finding what is ultimately fairly dull drawn out and hollow fair by my standards but with bits of intrigue woven in here and there to just barely help me maintain enough interest to press on and make something of the experience in my own way.

Keep in mind that my expectations were pretty much rock bottom and that I wasn't buying any of the hype going in knowing all to well that just goes with the product and brand. I was expecting it to leave me completely out in the cold so the fact that it turned out to have some real merits during some scenes (especially the post-climax ones) ultimately made me want to call it relatively good. Basically I graded it on a curve, but it also helped that the animation was outstanding and thus went a long way in me giving the movie some praise.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-04-13 at 02:25.
Old 2010-04-13, 02:20   Link #114
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

actually seeing Kaioshin say it was worth his time should be enough to prove the movie was successful in 1 way or another
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-04-13, 02:41   Link #115
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Spoiler for Nagato:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2010-04-13 at 03:50.
Old 2010-04-13, 02:52   Link #116
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I see. Though I would point out that being able to use Haruhi's powers is not enough for the Data Entity...They want and need to understand her power so they can use it for their own purpose. They don't understand why Nagato did what she did...it seems beyond their reasoning (since it was classed as an error). They might not even know how she did it because of that error.

It is not enough to just have a power. If their goal is to "evolve" with it, like Nagato states back in the first season, they need to understand how it works, and why it works, in order to actually evolve.
Which is why I said that it makes no sense to just let her do her own thing unpredictably. If it can why not alter reality a little and work her into a controlled experiment where they can learn about her at an accelerated rate. Keep pressing her into situations like Asakura was going to try to in the first season by killing Kyon and analyze the data.

And how can the data entity not know what Nagato did if she is supposed to be an extension of it? There's just something incredibly hard to swallow about all of this is what I'm saying. I find it highly doubtful that an entity that is supposed to basically be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent to the point where it can manipulate the fabric of multidimensional space is somehow unaware of it's own abilities. I think once you reach that point of advancement where you basically transcend time and space you should have a pretty good handle on your own capabilities.

Plus if the Data Entity really somehow can't understand what Nagato did as an extension of itself (and I still don't buy that it can't) then it should really give up any hope of ever understanding Haruhi.

Let me go grab a reference book from my shelf because I want to compare this to contradiction in The Bible. Be back in a jiffy.

Edit: Okay it reminds me of The Bible where they could never quite decide on whether god was Omniscient or not.

Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the lord. "Do not I fill heaven and earth?" declares the lord. (Jeremiah 23:24)

That's the kind of data entity the first book seemed to portray and the answer was no. Now though you're telling me it's more like Genesis 4:9 where

Then the Lord said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?"

Which is it? Omniscience or blindness?

Perhaps a better comparison would be to Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen though. Dr. Manhattan abilities while seemingly making him omniscient and omnipotent to the point where he could manipulate the fabric of reality were defined as having some limits. I don't recall anything of the sort being introduced with the data entity.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-04-13 at 03:13.
Old 2010-04-13, 02:55   Link #117
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Spoiler for Movie spoiler:

In any case, you shouldn't be quick to say 'plot hole' without thinking on it a bit. I realize my second theory is too much reasoning, only made so Kyon action in the end of the movie don't become pointless, but my first one is pretty reasonable. It was said more then once their objectives is just to observe, no reason to think they will suddenly change their minds (although, Ryouko said it was a possibility).

Quote:
I can't tell you how, but might I suggest taking it like Haruhi takes daily life?
Too much bitter feelings eh? Anyway, I can surely understand Ithekro, you comments outside the spoilers were quite reasonable and well thought, even if I don't agree with some. The rest, however, it is filled with pointless sarcasm and mockery. You took the two scenes most said it was (at last) "great" and called it 'rip-off' and narmy without really explaining why. You should understand why people get annoyed.

Also, they way you wrote it in a fan-filled community was like asking for a fight. Even if you was correct, you should review how do you says something and where.

PP:
Quote:
Which is why I said that it makes no sense to just let her do her own thing unpredictably. If it can why not alter reality a little and work her into a controlled experiment where they can learn about her at an accelerated rate. Keep pressing her into situations like Asakura was going to try to in the first season by killing Kyon and analyze the data.
You fail to understand there is no real need to or that is not what they agree with. As it is obvious, at last some of then think on it, give the whole Asakura incident. However, it was never said they could (or know how) just freely manipulate all the want. They have no rush 'cause they are eternal, so they can just keep watching.

Quote:
And how can the data entity not know what Nagato did if she is supposed to be an extension of it? There's just something incredibly hard to swallow about all of this is what I'm saying. I find it highly doubtful that an entity that is supposed to basically be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent to the point where it can manipulate the fabric of multidimensional space is somehow unaware of it's own abilities. I think once you reach that point of advancement where you basically transcend time and space you should have a pretty good handle on your own capabilities.
It was never said, or even implied, they can see everything Nagatos do or that she can't hide from them for a moment. Also, I don't remember if it was said in the movie, but I remember that Nagato had been put some restrains after it, so I assume that she was more or less free before the events of the movie. The data Overmind trusted her.

Quote:
Plus if the Data Entity really somehow can't understand what Nagato did as an extension of itself (and I still don't buy that it can't) then it should really give up any hope of ever understanding Haruhi.
Not a real plot hole, you know. I think you are probably right.

Last edited by Heatth; 2010-04-13 at 03:38. Reason: spoilers
Old 2010-04-13, 03:15   Link #118
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Spoiler for Nagato:

Or at least that seems to be the explaination. One problem (or prehaps it is a feature) of this series is that we don't have all the facts...and we can't tell if the information we are getting, not only from the three factions, but even from the narrator, is in fact true. Kyon is not a reliable narrator. That seems to be one of the quirks that make things interesting. We don't know if Mikuru's faction is telling Kyon the truth. We don't know if Itsuki's theories are correct or he he's lying all the time. We don't even know if Yuki is telling the truth. I'm more inclined to believe Yuki because she even stated that what she says, Kyon might not believe to be true, and that their was no way for her to prove anything. Her style suggests she's being honest more often than not. This could prove false at some later date...but for now...all the informations we have is what we have...via Kyon. The Kyon who might be leaving things out of his story...including his own name.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2010-04-13 at 03:50.
Old 2010-04-13, 03:26   Link #119
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Oh, right now you said it sounds pretty obvious.

Quote:
Or at least that seems to be the explaination. One problem (or prehaps it is a feature) of this series is that we don't have all the facts...and we can't tell if the information we are getting, not only from the three factions, but even from the narrator, is in fact true. Kyon is not a reliable narrator. That seems to be one of the quirks that make things interesting. We don't know if Mikuru's faction is telling Kyon the truth. We don't know if Itsuki's theories are correct or he he's lying all the time. We don't even know if Yuki is telling the truth. I'm more inclined to believe Yuki because she even stated that what she says, Kyon might not believe to be true, and that their was no way for her to prove anything. Her style suggests she's being honest more often than not. This could prove false at some later date...but for now...all the informations we have is what we have...via Kyon. The Kyon who might be leaving things out of his story...including his own name.
That is why I hate people who call 'plot hole' flippantly. Even if it is finished, just because something was not explained it don't mean it is a plot hole. It can mean it was poorly explained, and you can complain about that.

Talking about plot holes in a unfinished work can only be done if the facts contradict themselves pretty badly, in a way it can not be fixed latter. It was not near the case here.

Last edited by Heatth; 2010-04-13 at 03:39.
Old 2010-04-13, 03:29   Link #120
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Guys, we're getting into spoiler territory here. Might wanna stick some boxes up or switch to the other thread.

I've read the novel so I'm familiar with the plot, but I'm holding off on seeing the movie until it's better quality (the flickering of camrips is too much for me, so I know not to even try).
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya