AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-05-01, 12:11   Link #1
nooneagain

[WIN 7] My hard drive keeps filling up.

I just noticed that my hard drive ( C:/ ) keeps loosing space. My Drive C:/ has a capacity of of about 200 gb. It has about 4 gb free space last week(which is already small I know haha, but I wonder what fills it up that fast) , and I haven't installed softwares or downloaded any files since then. Now I'm loosing space in a much faster rate, just this evening, I have 2GB, but now I only have about 200 mb of free space. The Drive D:/ is still fine though. I appreciate any kind of help. Any Ideas? Thanks

Last edited by nooneagain; 2015-05-01 at 13:04.
nooneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 13:58   Link #2
IceHism

Check for viruses

Also, try disk cleanup.

Does your PC have any other errors?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 14:30   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

See how many System Restore points you have saved. You shouldn't ever need more than two.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 00:11   Link #4
SlendermanHD
青竜

Remove the hiberfile.sys and if your hard drive is a SSD remove the pagefile also.
SlendermanHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 01:02   Link #5
nooneagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Check for viruses

Also, try disk cleanup.

Does your PC have any other errors?
well yeah, last month there was a virus warning that popped up several times, but I believe I have deleted it already. I don't remember errors popping up. I'll try disk cleanup once again. Thank you for your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
See how many System Restore points you have saved. You shouldn't ever need more than two.
hmm I checked for the system restore points, but apparently, it's turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlendermanHD View Post
Remove the hiberfile.sys and if your hard drive is a SSD remove the pagefile also.
thank you for your answer, well I tried looking for hiberfile.sys but unfortunately, I couldn't it. What I did though, was disable the hibernation.....I'll see if this'll work...

Thank you guys for your answers. I've deleted some files just now, and have freed about 8GB of space, I'll see if it fills up again.
Old 2015-05-02, 16:45   Link #6
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

I remember having a problem where my hard drive was constantly eating up space just by leaving the computer on.
Turns out I had fail to uninstall some old software after copying my entire drive into a new drive and it ended up building a 30gb notepad file worth of errors.

A tool I used was Spacesniffer which displays your drive like a treemap, it made finding that notepad file easier since it was one big rectangle compare to all the other file.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 18:57   Link #7
Kazu-kun

One thing that can eat up HDD is the 3D Vision driver from nVidia. There is a very nasty bug in some versions. The driver keeps writing log files in "C:\Windows\System32\config" or "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config" constantly (and I really mean constantly!!)

In my pc that shit was eating like 1GB per week. I uninstalled the driver and deleted all the log files (50GB worth of files ) and that fixed the problem.

The files extensions are .blf and .regtrans-ms

If you have your "config" folder filled with these files, chances are you have this problem or something similar.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-06-25 at 21:16.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-14, 13:02   Link #8
nooneagain

so I tried reducing the paging file to about 1 GB now my free space only stays at about 10 GB. I'll see if the problem persists after few weeks
Old 2015-06-14, 13:38   Link #9
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Been using an SSD for my OS for a year or two, and I discovered that even installing most things to other drives, the C:\Windows\Temp directory filled up like crazy. Probably from installing and deleting applications and games. All I know is that nuking the contents of that directory (save for anything in use at the time) recovered nearly half of my SSD's space.

Disk Cleanup utility did not clean it out. Had to manually delete the contents.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 14:36   Link #10
kirikawa
imouto destroyer

try wiping your disk. not literally wiping or deleting it, but permanently shredding and removing deleted contents so they are no longer retrievable. wise care 365 + glary utilities has this with their programs. your pc could also need to be defragged.

if anything, check for hard drive errors. in the command prompt, type 'chkdisk C:' without the apostrophes. if you want to fix the errors without knowing what caused them, use 'chkdisk /f C:'.

i'd highly recommend checking out this article for more detailed information: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ee872425.aspx (apologies i can't put it in a link, my browser crashes everytime i try)
Old 2015-06-22, 09:44   Link #11
nooneagain

thank you guys....
[update] so after a week, the free space remains at 9-10 gb(9 when I have more than three tabs open lol). will delete other files at Temp folder later, just can't decide which files to delete at the moment haha,

Tags
hard drive, windows 7