AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2018-03-07, 09:39   Link #41
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
A column of volcanic ash spewed skyward and blanketed a city in southern Japan on Tuesday, grounding flights at a nearby airport as the ash reached a height of 7,500 feet in Mount Shinmoedake’s most violent eruption since 2011.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lights-nearby/

I take it the ash did not create 7,500 foot tall piles on the ground but was visible up to 7,500 feet above the ground.

Quote:
The Shinmoedake volcano might be recognizable for spy thriller fans. The 1967 James Bond film “You Only Live Twice” featured the volcano in its climactic scene involving the infiltration of a secret lair concealed deep within.
Guess it was all SPECTRE's fault.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 01:17   Link #42
AnimeFan188

Japanese blogger stabbed to death after giving
speech on handling online disputes:

"A well-known Japanese blogger and expert on the “dark web” was stabbed to death
by an internet user he had clashed with online shortly after delivering a lecture on
how to manage online disputes.

Kenichiro Okamoto was reportedly followed to the toilets in the lecture centre in the
Chuo district of Fukuoka city, in south-west Japan, at around 8pm on Sunday evening.

Mr Okamoto, a 41-year-old employee of a cyber security consultancy who was better
known by his online name Hagex, was found with multiple stab wounds to his chest
and neck. He was confirmed dead at a local hospital a short while later.

According to national broadcaster NHK, a man in his 40s surrendered to police about
three hours later, telling officers that he “hated” Okamoto and adding: “I am
responsible for the murder in Chuo Ward”."

See:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ndling-online/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 09:21   Link #43
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A prolific Japanese blogger held a seminar about Internet trolls. Moments later, one killed him, police say.

Quote:
On Sunday night, [cybercrimes expert and prolific Japanese blogger Kenichiro] Okamoto held a two-hour seminar in Fukuoka, a city roughly 550 miles west of Tokyo, during which he talked about ways to drive website traffic and gave tips on how to deal with Internet feuds.

About 15 minutes after he concluded his talk, authorities say a man that had trolled and harassed Okamoto online attacked him in a men’s restroom, stabbing him repeatedly in the chest and neck, Asahi Shimbun reported. The man then fled the scene on a bicycle, according to the Japanese newspaper. Okamoto was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The assailant turned himself into authorities carrying the bloody knife he used in his bag.
Old 2018-07-05, 21:06   Link #44
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
After being incarcerated for so long, Asahara's death penalty sentence was carried out.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 04:35   Link #45
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^For those confuse, he's the leader of the Aum Shinrikyo cult, who were responsible for the 1995 Tokyo Sarin Gas attack.
Old 2018-07-06, 05:44   Link #46
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Okay. I was wondering about context. That was a long time ago.
Old 2018-07-06, 07:34   Link #47
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

The lawyers ran out of appeals, so the MOJ carried the sentence. IIRC, the previous one was a strict Buddhist who didn't believe in the death penalty.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2018-07-15, 22:03   Link #48
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Kurashiki, Japan (July 16, 2018): When the most torrential rain was falling on Mabi town in Kurashiki, Hiroshi Nomura was sitting in his car on a hill, live streaming the football World Cup.

He and his family had received an emergency alert that evening warning them of potential flooding. They chose not to evacuate, but Hiroshi decided to save the car; if anything happened he knew they would need it.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, as he sheltered in safety, the rains came harder than this part of Japan had seen in decades.

"The morning came and I didn't get any messages from my parents so I tried to walk back again to my house but then I could see only the roofs of the houses," the 31-year-old said.

"It's not good to think like that, but seeing it, I tried to be prepared for the reality (of them being dead)."

Hiroshi had a small inflatable boat in his car, which he normally used to go fishing with his friends. Without a pump he raced to a nearby petrol station and forced air into his hobby vessel.

"After I got in the boat I went back to my house right away but there was an electric wire on the water in front of me and and I saw many things from the houses floating. It was very hard to get there. I had to navigate and avoid those obstacles," he said.

"When I got to my house I screamed out for my mother, but no one responded."

As he was about to smash a window to break into this house, his father managed to call him, saying that they had already been rescued, along with Hiroshi's grandparents.

He was relieved. But his rescue efforts were just beginning.

CHANNEL NEWSASIA
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-17, 19:34   Link #49
Key Board
Carbon

EU signs its biggest free trade deal with Japan

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44857317

Quote:
The European Union and Japan have signed one of the world's biggest free trade deals, covering nearly a third of the world's GDP and 600 million people.

One of the biggest EU exports to Japan is dairy goods, while cars are one of Japan's biggest exports.

The move contrasts sharply with actions by the US Trump administration, which has introduced steep import tariffs.

EU Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker said the deal underlined the "win-win" solutions offered by free trade.

Mr Juncker said: "[The] impact of today's agreement goes far beyond our shores. Together we are a making, by signing this agreement, a statement about the future of free and fair trade.

"We are showing that we are stronger and better off when we work together. And we are leading by example, showing that trade is about more than tariffs and barriers. It is about values, principles and finding win-win solutions for all those concerned."
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-18, 15:12   Link #50
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shipping goods between Japan and EU must be complicated. Do they go by ship and through the Suez canal or around the tip of Africa? Somehow I don't see them being shipped to some mainland Asian country like China then sent overland to Europe. But really I have no idea.

Last year Japanese exports to the EU ran around 70 billion euro. EU exports to Japan totaled a little over 60 billion. Obviously they've figured out the transportation issues.
Old 2018-07-23, 05:14   Link #51
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The gods are not smiling on Japan this year.

Quote:
With rescue workers still clearing out debris after deadly floods that hit western Japan this month, the heat blanketed a large part of the country, turning 2018 into a summer of environmental misery.

Already, 21 people have died from heatstroke in Japan, according to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, while thousands more have been taken to hospitals for heat-related reasons, with no relief in sight for the rest of the week.
Old 2018-07-25, 04:12   Link #52
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Wannabe ninja plague Japan town after viral-news mix-up
Quote:
Tokyo (July 25, 2018): A Japanese city has been fighting off wannabe ninja, after a news report on local labour shortages appeared to suggest that it wanted to hire more of the traditional assassins.

The western city of Iga was featured in a report by American radio station NPR this month about Japan's depopulation and labour-shortage problems.

The report said Iga is trying to capitalise on its history as the home of the ninja, by building a new museum focused on the warriors, but it was struggling to hire staff, including ninja performers.

In its report, NPR said ninja performers in Japan can earn anywhere between US$23,000 to US$85,000 a year. But a number of copycat reports by other media or viral sites went with less nuanced headlines such as: "This town in Japan will pay you an $85,000 salary to train as a ninja."

By Wednesday (July 25), at least 115 aspiring assassins had contacted the city and its local tourism association, puzzling local officials.

They said would-be warriors from at least 14 countries had been in touch.

Iga city said on its website that it "didn't put out information about 'a lack of ninja in Iga' or the 'annual income of ninja'".

The city also tried to squelch the hopes of applicants by issuing statements in Japanese, English and three other languages.

It warned them to "be careful of fake news".

AFP
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 07:14   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
By Wednesday (July 25), at least 115 aspiring assassins had contacted the city and its local tourism association, puzzling local officials.
I'm waiting to see how they evaluate these applicants. Do they need to bring resumes listing people they've killed? Will they have to demonstrate their assassination skills on live targets?
Old 2018-09-02, 19:22   Link #54
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

18-year-old Japanese female swimmer named MVP of Asian Games

Ikee Rikiko is the first woman ever to win the MVP. She scored six gold medals during the Games. At 18, the $50,000 prize probably comes in handy, too.

Old 2018-09-04, 09:18   Link #55
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nearly a hundred people died in the heavy rainfall back in July. Now the country faces its worst typhoon in decades.

Quote:
Kyodo News said Jebi was the strongest typhoon to make landfall since 1993, while NHK public television said tides in some areas were the highest since a typhoon in 1961.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...85d_story.html
Old 2018-09-06, 07:50   Link #56
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Floods, typhoons and now an earthquake on Hokkaido with deadly mudslides.
Old 2018-09-06, 07:56   Link #57
dragon1412

nature is really unkind to Japan this year
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-08, 16:50   Link #58
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Naomi Osaka upsets her life-long idol Serena Williams in straight sets to win the US Open tennis final. Osaka is 20 with a Haitian father and Japanese mother. They moved to the US when she was three. She holds dual-citizenship but plays under the Japanese flag.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-09-08 at 17:22.
Old 2018-09-08, 17:30   Link #59
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Naomi Osaka upsets her life-long idol Serena Williams in straight sets to win the US Open tennis final. Osaka is 20 with a Haitian father and Japanese mother. They moved to the US when she was three. She holds dual-citizenship but plays under the Japanese flag.
Yeah, Naomi Osaka's performance was absolutely fantastic. There was a time when I thought she was out of gas when she fell down 1-3 in the second set, but then she came back even stronger at the right time. It's a shame that the newspapers will talk a lot about Serena's tirade with the chair umpire. Personally, I was very disappointed with Serena's behavior for a player with that much experience. Nothing should be taken away from Naomi's performance though.

I hope to see a sequel to Baby Steps coming soon now that we have new Japanese milestones on the ATP-WTA circuit with Naomi Osaka and Kei Nishikori reaching at least the semis at the same major tournament, and with Naomi Osaka winning it.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-08, 19:30   Link #60
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm waiting to see how they evaluate these applicants. Do they need to bring resumes listing people they've killed? Will they have to demonstrate their assassination skills on live targets?
The plot of Hakata Tonkutsu Ramens in a nutshell.