AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2018-03-20, 15:54   Link #1
shadow1296

A School Shooting in Maryland

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Unlike the Florida one, only two students were shot and as far as I know are still alive at the time of this posting, Do to an officer at the school returning fire and killing the shooter during the incident preventing this one becoming another Florida tragedy
Old 2018-03-21, 12:15   Link #2
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
A good guy with a gun, stopped a bad guy with a gun. Thankfully no innocent person was killed. May the shooter rot in hell.
Old 2018-03-21, 13:42   Link #3
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
A good guy with a gun, stopped a bad guy with a gun. Thankfully no innocent person was killed. May the shooter rot in hell.
The thing is, why had a 17 year old access to a gun? Please no reply with "to protect himself" or other BS.
Old 2018-03-21, 15:34   Link #4
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

An OFFICER is the only reason this didn't escalate. A civilian with a gun would have being indistinguishable from being a 2nd shooter.
Old 2018-03-21, 17:46   Link #5
Toukairin
Banned

The investigation better tell us how the 17-year-old managed to get his hands on a gun, especially with all the noise that has been made about restricting gun access to underage people since Parkland. You would expect people and gun merchants to be more vigilant on their hardware as well.
Old 2018-03-21, 20:25   Link #6
GundamFan0083

You cannot legally purchase a handgun at 17 years of age.
Also, Maryland requires all legal gun sales to have both licensing and registration of handguns.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizatio...onLicense.aspx

This weapon was illegal and numerous Maryland gun laws were broken, as well as numerous Federal firearms laws.
Old 2018-03-21, 20:34   Link #7
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I suppose it could have been a legal weapon owned by a relative. That happens sometimes.
Old 2018-03-21, 21:34   Link #8
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
The investigation better tell us how the 17-year-old managed to get his hands on a gun, especially with all the noise that has been made about restricting gun access to underage people since Parkland. You would expect people and gun merchants to be more vigilant on their hardware as well.
There's just TOO MANY GUNS in the US at this point, so slip ups are inevitable even it's \\ responsible gun owner //

imagine how many people would have been dead if the shooter had an Assault Riffle instead of a Glock
Old 2018-03-22, 14:15   Link #9
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
There's just TOO MANY GUNS in the US at this point, so slip ups are inevitable even it's \\ responsible gun owner //

imagine how many people would have been dead if the shooter had an Assault Riffle instead of a Glock
Assault Rifles are Class-III weapons and not available to the public without a license. They are VERY expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIysLkewNwc

I realize the media has been lying about this for decades in the US to sell stories and now use the term for clickbait, but the truth is that normally pistols are used in these mass shootings, and when a rifle is used it can be anything from a bolt action rifle (Charles Whitman used a .30-06 bolt-action to kill 15-people and wound 31 others in 1966) to a semi-automatic paramilitary rifle.
Actual assault rifles have never been used in a mass shooting in the US, even when they were legal to buy prior to 1986.

This is what an actual assault rifle costs in the US.
https://machineguncentral.com/ViewDe...6-98114bc5bf5b

And no, the weapon type really does not matter.
Suing-Hei Cho killed 32-people and injured 17 others with a glock pistol and a Walter P22 (.22 caliber) using only 10 and 8-round magazines in the Virginia Tech shooting.
https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/vi...cts/index.html

What matters is if there is a person who can STOP the incident when it starts or better still, report the person when they declare their intent to commit such an act and get the police involved to stop them before they act on such a threat.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/15/g...hool-shooting/

It would be interesting to know if this attempted shooter in Maryland (thank goodness for the armed Resource officer who stopped him) and the bomber in Austin Texas were on SSRIs. That information has not been released yet. If they were, then the pattern of psychiatric drugs being used by people committing these acts will continue.

http://kellybroganmd.com/mass-shooti...hiatric-drugs/
Old 2018-03-22, 14:31   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post

It would be interesting to know if this attempted shooter in Maryland (thank goodness for the armed Resource officer who stopped him) and the bomber in Austin Texas were on SSRIs. That information has not been released yet. If they were, then the pattern of psychiatric drugs being used by people committing these acts will continue.

http://kellybroganmd.com/mass-shooti...hiatric-drugs/
Do you know yet what kind of psychiatric medication Stephen Paddock was on? If mass shootings are excluded from the equation all together and just concentrate on the homicides that are being committed with guns, are all those perpetrators show the pattern of psychiatric drug use?

Please don't overload me with links. Take mercy.

On an unrelated subject matter, Youtube is now banning certain videos on gun-modification, high powered rifle, and such. Citi Bank also announced they will restrict gun sales by its partners. The pressure is on. I wonder how these gun companies will react once the squeeze on the money starts to become unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfire
Good observation there, Justin. Have you done your solemn duty to protect anyone with a gun today considering you being a good guy and all?
Old 2018-03-22, 15:38   Link #11
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Do you know yet what kind of psychiatric medication Stephen Paddock was on? If mass shootings are excluded from the equation all together and just concentrate on the homicides that are being committed with guns, are all those perpetrators show the pattern of psychiatric drug use?

Please don't overload me with links. Take mercy.
Most of these shooters have been on psychiatric drugs all the way back to Charles Whitman in 1966 (he was on Drexamphetamine).
http://behindthetower.org/the-little-metal-bottle

Steven Paddock was on Diazepam, which according to Pfizer, can cause psychosis if combined with alcohol (Paddock was a heavy drinker).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...-drug-in-june/

Quote:
On an unrelated subject matter, Youtube is now banning certain videos on gun-modification, high powered rifle, and such. Citi Bank also announced they will restrict gun sales by its partners. The pressure is on. I wonder how these gun companies will react once the squeeze on the money starts to become unbearable.
Youtube is going after everything that does not agree with their political perspective so the entire platform is probably going to suffer.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...-conservatives

As for Citibank, they (like other companies) have done this before, and will slowly walk it back. They've been engaging in this type of public relations nonsense since the 1990s and it will not effect the gun industry at all because it will not be permanent.
Old 2018-03-22, 18:00   Link #12
Toukairin
Banned

Heavy drinker at 17? Dude sure had extremely serious issues there.
Old 2018-03-23, 00:41   Link #13
Key Board
Carbon

you can google what his political beliefs are

It's predictable, really.
Old 2018-03-23, 05:36   Link #14
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Heavy drinker at 17? Dude sure had extremely serious issues there.
Jeffrey Dahmer was also a heavy drinker back in highschool, as far as one of his former classmates remembered.
Old 2018-03-23, 18:54   Link #15
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Millions of gun owners out there with money to spend. They will be fine. Infact, Gun Sales have spiked UP since all of this happened(A friend just bought his first handgun, a Glock 23 at my suggestion), and I'm in the process of building my 2nd AR-15. Another friend over the course of a year, went from no firearms, to a Glock, 2x Ar-15's and an AR-10. He came to the U.S. as a kid from South Vietnam when the U.S. pulled out in 1975. We're currently getting his girlfriend into guns(she came to the U.S. as a teenager almost 30 years ago from Vietnam and owns her own business). Doing our part!

Quote:

Good observation there, Justin. Have you done your solemn duty to protect anyone with a gun today considering you being a good guy and all?
I haven't been in a situation where someone needed to be protected monir, but should the situation arise, the Glock 23 or Glock 27 I sometimes carry, will only be used to defend innocent life.. Here's a story from a family relative. My Grandfather's best friend stopped a rape in progress several decades ago while driving cross country, as he always carried a handgun on him. Herb was a German immigrant who came to the U.S. when Hitler came to power. I'm sure the woman he came to the defense of, was happy he was armed and able to save her.
Old 2018-03-23, 21:06   Link #16
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

That cherry picked example illustrates the point of needing a gun to be a good guy perfectly. Why don't you exchange stories with Gary Kleck, I'm sure he can tell you millions of stories about guns used for self-defense.

I also wonder what exactly this part is you're doing. Talking people into after they shoot defend someone, they can shoot them again with another gun? Being a gun collector missionary? Introducing friends to the joys of hunting?

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2018-03-23 at 21:22.
Old 2018-03-24, 01:10   Link #17
Key Board
Carbon

so apparently the terrorist was part of a Christian Survivalist group
I dunno, people. Maybe mixing bible study sessions and a shooting training sessions puts CERTAIN ideas into your head
Old 2018-03-24, 02:26   Link #18
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
That cherry picked example illustrates the point of needing a gun to be a good guy perfectly. Why don't you exchange stories with Gary Kleck, I'm sure he can tell you millions of stories about guns used for self-defense.

I also wonder what exactly this part is you're doing. Talking people into after they shoot defend someone, they can shoot them again with another gun? Being a gun collector missionary? Introducing friends to the joys of hunting?
Introducing people to the joy of Gun Ownership and shooting.

As well as doing their part exercising their right protected under the Constitution.
Old 2018-03-24, 13:26   Link #19
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
It's not an untrue statement that you can defend people with guns, but it's circular logic to say that you NEED guns to defend. Sure, one can say you can have. But I think the crux of the feeling behind better regulation, seeing the passion of these students (enough that one girl throws up from sheer emotion on stage on national television).

And that is something proper education and training can't help with, it is an absolute necessity to make firearms harder to obtain for someone with a weaker state of mind. We've seen even trained miltary personnel lash out, and honestly, the combo of working out more cleanly enforced regulation coupled with better programs to find and work on individuals who might lash out like that is certainly a more effective strategy than proper training or believing that tighter school security will do much of anything.

We could go back to the days without proper regulation and where people enacted vigilante justice and had the rotting corpses of lawbreakers on display as a so called deterrent, but since that didn't really deter many people from indulging in violent crime, why think that just educating people about firearms would help? Again, stricter regulation seems to be the way to go, and the idea that it'll end up "neutering" civilians from protecting themselves is short sighted at best, downright dumb at worst.
Old 2018-03-24, 13:49   Link #20
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Introducing people to the joy of Gun Ownership and shooting.
The unmistakable stink of schadenfreude, having fun with weapons knowing full well you are making law enforcement live everyday in fear that the next time they will be received with bullets. Said fear in turn makes many police officers fire at unarmed people which makes many people hate the officers that are hired to defend the population and less likely to trust them.

Save the NRA spiel about "more guns would make everybody safer", if that were true OECD member countries with the highest rates of firearms ownership would have the lowest gun violence rates.
Closed Thread