AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 117 66.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 21.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 7.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.14%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.57%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-08, 16:04   Link #41
Cyz
"Show it to me"

No more Auu and back to Uguu
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-12-08, 16:15   Link #42
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I think that the connection is relatively obvious here because of the blendover - and the milky-white effect is supposed to indicate that this is not the reality.
And besides the milky-white effect, what comes after? A typical springy landscape, sunny, supposedly warm, blue sky. Exactly what Makoto wished for ("If only spring could last forever").
Not only Yuuichi had clear his wish, he had the whole scenario in his mind. He didn't miss a single detail, not even Piro. How nice of him.

Spoiler:

---

Now, as for episode 10. A lot were already said.
I too, expected more of a tearjerker, but I was also satisfied with KyoAni resolution (mind: I've watched Toei too). KyoAni made in a more classy way what Toei made more emotionally.

I found the first half of the episode more touching. Makoto losing strenght and human abilites more and more, her innocent "Auuu", Yuuchi's fatherly figure, Akiko shredding a tear after waving bye, the meeting with Amano. All really well done.
On the second half, the wedding scene (wind/grass effects spectacular once again) was great. As their last moment together. The vanishing was a bit sudden, maybe, but I found it impactful nonetheless.
Seen how the whole episode were dealt, I wouldn't change a bit of it.

And that final scene.... (speechless) ... It was nice

10/10

On next episode we'll probably get to see all the girls again. I'm not expecting the show to clearly take a path next week. As it was said "Intermezzo" (italian word) stands as something transitional between two distinguished events. So I think next episode may be considered a break after the emotional rollercoaster of Makoto's arc, and before beginning the next route.
Still, probably hints on who the next girl will be could be given, the preview seems to suggest Mai, I'd be hoping for Shiori, but it's going to be good anyway
Old 2006-12-08, 18:13   Link #43
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
And besides the milky-white effect, what comes after? A typical springy landscape, sunny, supposedly warm, blue sky. Exactly what Makoto wished for ("If only spring could last forever").
Not only Yuuichi had clear his wish, he had the whole scenario in his mind. He didn't miss a single detail, not even Piro. How nice of him.
Okay, I'll admit I hadn't quite thought of it this way, though the fact it was a spring setting while it was the dead of winter was nagging at me. That should have been my biggest clue.

Goes to show ya that I really should be setting my plot-point detectors to "high-sensitivity" mode.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-08, 18:56   Link #44
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It was different from the Toei version, which is welcome. I actually can't say one is better than the other, though. While Toei went purely for emotional impact, KyoAni went for storytelling and the result was the bittersweet ending we got, which as Skyfall said, is more sweet than bitter. Both have their merits, depending on what you want out of this anime.

Most of all, I'm just glad Amano wasn't just a throwaway plot device this time round.
Old 2006-12-08, 19:00   Link #45
Pakxenon
popcorn

Brilliant episode, even though I am a little sleepy (I was crossed between feeling sleepy and emotional, but it turned out to be the former). Needless to say, great story portrayal. However, I'm not sure about the big veil shot... either Yuuichi disappeared or there's some sort of vortexial paradox going on on the hill...
Old 2006-12-08, 19:01   Link #46
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Can someone please explain what happened here:

Spoiler for last scene:
Old 2006-12-08, 19:11   Link #47
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Can someone please explain what happened here:

Spoiler for last scene:
Spoiler:

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-08, 19:28   Link #48
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Spoiler:

--Ian.
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-08, 19:30   Link #49
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Its nothing you should take seriously - just think of it as a dream for her.
Old 2006-12-08, 19:45   Link #50
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Spoiler:
i think that scene at the end was written in to satisfy a broader fanbase..the idealists...the pragmatists...and the realists

this wouldn't be the first time a japanese "story" was ended ambiguously so that the viewer is the one who gets to decide (plausibly) whether things ultimately end positively (makoto's back in the spring...the possible miracle that was alluded to a few times)..negatively (she's gone for good)..or somewhere in between (she left this world happily and peacefully...they were able to satisfy their love, albeit on a level of innocence and purity...and the experience helped yuichi to grow as a human being)...with enough supporting evidence provided by the writer to make any of those "wishes" possible and believable.. "Red Shift" anybody?
Old 2006-12-08, 19:50   Link #51
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Since alot of people questioned about the final scene, I went to run through Makoto's route again real fast. Fyi, the game just threw in the CG at the end without any explanation, so whatever that scene means is up to your own interpretation. For anyone who's interested to see how that CG looks like, click me.

Spoiler for For my own interpretation:
Old 2006-12-08, 20:03   Link #52
evil-samurai

Cant really comment.. on a episode like this other then saying..

I know that before it started people were going on about it being a 'sad girls in the snow' anime. But I had no Idea (when I first started watching) that my favourite character would just get wipped out of the show like that...

I'm usually optimistic// and after seeing the ending shot of her and how miracle can happen in the show I still think that Makoto can appear in the show agian! Yay! and.. So I really hope Makato comes back.

I think its a shame that the last time we saw the 'talkative' Makato was the first half of last episode. I really missed the Makato that plays pranks Well it was Entertaining to watch while it lasted =) I dont think there was a father-daughter thing like some.. As least thats not the way I saw it. Then I also guess it depends the way you see things,.. Just that once Makato was more or less Brain-dead I cant see another way that Yuuichi could handel the situation other then caring for her like he did. (Though the way I say that can seem that Yuuichi is just doing what he 'had' to but that wasn't the case) Though I do wonder if Yuuichi will get with a girl with-in these 24 episodes... Most signs points to Ayu.. I guess. or.. mabye Makato might come back ^^ Still... I hope she does

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-12-09 at 02:17.
Old 2006-12-08, 21:31   Link #53
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Hmm, this Kannon 2006 episode wasn't as saddening as the as the same one back in 2002, but it was done just o so beautifully.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-08, 21:33   Link #54
ReinhartX

this episode left me in tears and it was too good to be described
Old 2006-12-08, 21:58   Link #55
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I struggle very hard not to cry as I said before. Already watched the episode a few times and it gets harder each time. I knew her ending would be exactly like in the game since it allows him to choose another girl.

I'm kinda glad that they don't suggest her spirit becomes a new fox like in the 2k2 version. That way we can imagine her spirit enters heaven to wait for Yuuichi. Kinda like the Little Mermaid where she wants to marry the prince to share his immortal soul only Makoto succeeded in the marrying part.

I think the end scene of her lying in the grass with the sukura is Yuuichi's imagination of the miracle he'd wish for not a literal view of the future. My opinion is that yes, Makoto is dead.

edit: Forgot to add this, but OH GOD Nayuki's beautiful. Watching her run up the stairs in her school uniform made me so happy.
Old 2006-12-08, 23:20   Link #56
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

And here I was expecting to cry my eyes out. Boy am I depressed! (I thought this was suppose to be based on a crying game.)

Toei's version was definitely more emotional. Kyo-Ani's focus on the miracles took the "omph" out of it imo.
Spoiler for sensitive types not to get upset.:

So, for me it wasn't sad just slightly bittersweet.

Oh well, there are more plots to go. Ayu's back. Shiori isn't.
Old 2006-12-08, 23:26   Link #57
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Just watching KyoAni Kanon episode 10 does feel less intense an experience comparing to the Toei Kanon episode 10. However, when I watch KyoAni 8-10 in succession, I was pulverized. Toei 8-10 all at once actually suffocated me instead, with the sheer pace of it all.

Admittedly, the 'chin anime' in visual can't really compare to the KyoAni implementation in animation department and faithfulness toward the original plot of the story, although a Toei include a major detail regarding Makoto and her wound. However, KyoAni's character portrayal of Yuiichi is that much stronger, and stands like a tower of strength almost. Amano also is far more accurate to the original plot and three-dimensional as a support character. Toei though leads itself up very steeply and feels almost like a summary to Makoto's arc.

Looking at it, I think what I perfer the more gentle approach that doesn't pound at your emotions. I perfer the subtlity in the storytelling. I do find watching Makoto's story in KyoAni version altogether to help though since the buildup feels more intense to the mind that way.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-12-09, 00:40   Link #58
lalala

wow i liked this episode although i thought it would be a lot more emotional..guess not
but i did like it, makoto trying to say words and when she said yuuichis name, cute
the wedding was predictable but i still like it. one of the shots did look messed up tho cuz yuuichis missing...
the end shot where makoto is lying there, it reminded me of some korean movies i watched where everybody dies, but at the end u see them all happy in "heaven" or where they are most happy with the ppl they love. iono but it was nice i like it
Old 2006-12-09, 01:01   Link #59
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Well, episode 10 resolved Makoto as expected, with KyoAni's approach to game material. I loved the expansions given to Mishio's character, she has become a very fun person to watch on screen because of them - I hope that she comes back a couple more times in the show (hinted at with her declaring to Yuuichi that they're friends), as it'd be wasteful otherwise.

Best single moment of this episode was the shot where Mishio pulls away as she walks into class, and says "sayonara." The moment just there was beautiful - much as it was when Nayuki ran up the stairs moments afterwards, and as it was when Akiko wiped her tears.

Another very well done (albeit predictable and almost cliché) was the bells striking the ground, which was of course to be anticipated... that said, it was done extremely well, as was Yuuichi's reaction. I was incredibly impressed that there was no need for a histrionic scream to the heavens, rather just a mumbled word - and the emotion in his voice was perfect, as it was in his narration throughout the episode.

The finale sequence with Mishio was very well done as well, and was a delight to watch. The dream/wish scene of Makoto lying on the grass with Piro curled on her arm was also a beautiful shot - I wish that a poster of that particular shot would be released, really, it'd look wonderful on my wall. ^^

Oh yes, @ Deathkillz and @ Wandering_Youth:

Spoiler:

As to the next episode, the shots of Ayu cooking, and some of the close ups on Nayuki's face? Anticipation levels are rising, my friends. It seems to be shaping up to be a solid character developing episode, from the preview and the title, which as has been pointed out is an Italian musical expression referring to a sequence/movement between movements (lit. 'interval). So I'm not anticipating a plot-moves-fast episode, but rather a catchup, develop and breathe episode for the characters.

Should be fun. ^^

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-09, 01:17   Link #60
DanielSong39

Well, at least this episode gave me a reason to continue watching...

This show is supposed to be a comedy, right?
Closed Thread