AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite Kanon - 2006 - Characters Poll II (Multiple Choice!)
Yuuichi 219 42.28%
Ayu 235 45.37%
Nayuki 219 42.28%
Shiori 168 32.43%
Makoto 159 30.69%
Mai 263 50.77%
Akiko 71 13.71%
Akiko's Jam 101 19.50%
Kaori 49 9.46%
Jun 33 6.37%
Mishio 29 5.60%
Sayuri 157 30.31%
Piro 53 10.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-20, 13:29   Link #41
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
... but it is interesting to see that the 3 core characters (Yuuichi, Ayu, Nayuki) are behind the lead pack.
but but...how can nayuki be called one of the "cores" if her arc only spanned 2 eps? O.o to me she seemed to be pushed aside quite a bit by the ayu, makoto and mai trio...and in the end yuuichi didnt properly solve her problem himself as he ran off to ayu...it was nayuki who came to him ~ poor girl ;_;

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 13:41   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I guess in terms of 2k6, Nayuki may seem non-core.... but they did have her fluttering around the edges in every single arc.
I just tend to view Kanon as a set diagram with (Nayuki-Yuuichi-Ayu-Akiko) in the center circle and the other characters circles that overlap the center circle and in some cases overlap each other as well (e.g. Sayuri/Mai).
Old 2007-03-20, 17:36   Link #43
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I guess in terms of 2k6, Nayuki may seem non-core.... but they did have her fluttering around the edges in every single arc.
I just tend to view Kanon as a set diagram with (Nayuki-Yuuichi-Ayu-Akiko) in the center circle and the other characters circles that overlap the center circle and in some cases overlap each other as well (e.g. Sayuri/Mai).
Well, yeah, that makes sense because, like the story itself, it's centered first around Yuuichi's home life, and then expands outward to the school, the city, etc. Characters like Ayu and Makoto who integrated into the home life would be more central in that model (at least for as long as they were in that circle). Even if you flip it and look at it with Ayu and Yuuichi at the center, it'd still expand out from there to include Akiko and Nayuki first (because of the time they spent together). The core characters in this genre are always the ones closest to "home" (even if, in some stories, the figurative "home" is school, or somewhere else).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 19:41   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it's a testament to Kanon's character design that so many characters are so close in the poll. Really, how many series would have five or six characters withing a few votes of the top?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 23:56   Link #45
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
but but...how can nayuki be called one of the "cores" if her arc only spanned 2 eps? O.o to me she seemed to be pushed aside quite a bit by the ayu, makoto and mai trio...
Maybe it's a metaphor for how Yuuichi treated her - the director treated her the same
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 00:45   Link #46
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
It's a conspiracy! KyotoAnimation is a closet advocate for the quiet, mysterious, and totally kickass girl!

(Compare Mai's arc length with the others. Now, compare Yuki's role in Haruhi)

KyotoAni 萬歲

I voted for Mai and Sayuri. Same reason as why I voted for them in the first time
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 00:49   Link #47
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Yuki's role in Haruhi is quite large in the novels, as well. I remember reading that she's actually the author's favorite.
Old 2007-03-21, 02:03   Link #48
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

And we haven't even seen what novel 4 will do to Yuki's character...lol.

Well, Mai's arc did have some well-animated action (loved the flip silhouetted against the moon for the killing blow), so I guess that was a nice attempt at reaching out to any action fans of the series too. Probably the best attempt at bridging different genres out of all the Kanon girls.

Oh, and the awesomeness of Deviant Waltz. ^_^
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 02:32   Link #49
Forever
Revealing the truth

1) Nayuki - It got to be her. My dream girl.
2) Shiori - Cant help falling for her after seeing her story arc
3) Mai - For the same reasons that I like yuki
4) Mishio - sympathy vote from me
5) Akiko's jam - The invincible bio-weapon that no one have managed defeat other than its creator.
Old 2007-03-22, 07:24   Link #50
Brim
Piro Piro Piro

I voted for Yuuichi, Shiori, Makoto and Piro. However, there really wasn't a character that I disliked and they all rate top notch in my opinion. Even the secondary characters (Jun, Sayuri, etc.) all had strong interesting personalities and added that much more to the overall story.

Just as a sidenote, I find it interesting that every character contributed to how the show unfolded. Remove any one of them series and things would probably have turned out much differently. I'll refrain from saying more, though, to avoid spoilers for those who haven't finished the series yet.

Brim
Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 23:02   Link #51
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Granted these polls are anomolous collations of the nutcases who post here (with a sprinkling of goblins who don't post here) rather than any kind of statistical "truth" ... but it is interesting to see that the 3 core characters (Yuuichi, Ayu, Nayuki) are behind the lead pack.
I know this reply is a bit late, but all I can say is that one can't win them all. I'm just glad that Nayuki won in a poll period (randomc's poll by a hair, ~13 votes ahead of Mai and ~91 votes ahead of Ayu), because that's already a miracle all by in itself.

And no love for Kaori and Jun? Me sad, especially since I rarely care about sub-character couples, Wind's Kasumi and Tsutsomu notwithstanding. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 23:13   Link #52
Skane
Anime Snark

What worries me more is that at this rate, Akiko's jam is going to get more loving than Makoto.

Natch.
Old 2007-03-22, 23:20   Link #53
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
What worries me more is that at this rate, Akiko's jam is going to get more loving than Makoto.
How come no one likes Makoto? I can't figure it out
For all the complaints about the tragedy-free ending, you'd think people would start zooming in on the one arch that did end in tears.
Old 2007-03-22, 23:31   Link #54
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
How come no one likes Makoto? I can't figure it out
For all the complaints about the tragedy-free ending, you'd think people would start zooming in on the one arch that did end in tears.
Liking a story and liking a character are two entirely different things.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-23, 00:34   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't dislike Makoto's arc.... it went the gamut from funny to tragic --- but it is almost like its own separate (and I mean really separate) fairy tale. Mostly it establishes that the hillside is kitsune-infested and has magical qualities which might provide the power source that allow the miracles to take shape later in the tales of Kanon. Makoto's story makes a good intro into the "guess what, this isn't quite the world that you the viewer live in" but it could also have been handled more quickly with a few people mentioning that the hill had legends and magical properties and perhaps an odd incident.

Yes its true that all the stories are separate (in their original form) ... but in interleaving the stories and characters to make an integrated adaptation of Kanon .... Makoto's character is still mostly unconnected to the other characters (and yes, I got teary-eyed during her arc so :P) though I give KyoAni points for trying (vis a vis Ayu and Mai interjections).

I guess I'm theorizing that the "apartness" of her story causes some viewers to discount her too much in terms of the overall story. I'm glad the story is there because of the way it jerks the viewer into attentiveness (kind of like the broadcast episode 4 of SHnY woke the viewer up that this wasn't just a mundane slice-o-life romance series when Yuki started screwing with reality and then ep 5 just blew the lid off).

Any other theories on why Makoto always seems to trail?

Actually, I'm kind of stunned Mai is so popular in this poll. I'm usually the odd man out on liking a character like Mai.
Old 2007-03-23, 00:44   Link #56
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

This poll fails because there's no Kuze in it. Heck, even Amano's not in it when the Jam is. There's not even an Others option. What's up with that?

Anyways, my favourites from the most to the least, left to right.

Kuze, Kaori, Amano, Sayuri and Shiori.

That's about it. Don't ask me why, I just like them for no particular reasons in that order, with a huge gap of favouritism between Kuze and Kaori. They're not why I enjoyed the Kanon experience, but the mere sight of them makes me giddy for unexplainable reasons.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 01:07   Link #57
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

i thought ppl didnt like Makoto or her arc because ppl thought her arc was too long and that, (and I paraphrase from i forgot) just like Windows ME, Makoto "took forever to shut down" or something like that.
anywayz forgot who i voted for besides shiori and akiko's jam.
shiori because i have a soft spot for "innocent-type" girls...makes me wanna squeeze her until her head pops off...
akiko jam because of how mysterious it is... i am a bit sad that i didnt get to see it again in the last episode besides nayuki and them talking about it...however i did like kaori's reaction after hearing that the jamu still exists...i was actually hoping to see everyone which include mai, sayuri, ayu, and jun to get together at nayuki's home where akiko plan to serve her jamu...i can see what would happen to mai...
akiko: "Mina, how about trying some of this special jam i made?"
u1, nayuki, kaori (maybe ayu) spooked: "ahh i have to do something...be right back" (then smartly escapes).
mai walks to u1 a few minutes later
u1: "ahh mai how was the jam?"
mai: "u1, how dare you."
U1: "so you tried it?"
mai: "u1, i got my power back already you know..."
u1 dissappointed. walks back to the kitchen and sees shiori and jun and sayuri (and maybe ayu) in a state of paralysis after tasting the jam...
mai to u1: "u1, don't worry i didnt tell them about it..."
kaori shaking shiori and jun, trying to snap them out of it...
NibelungTaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 01:47   Link #58
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
This poll fails because there's no Kuze in it. Heck, even Amano's not in it when the Jam is. There's not even an Others option. What's up with that?
You do realize that her full name is "Amano Mishio", right? I see a "Mishio" on the poll.

I like collecting pictures of characters with glasses for some reason. I was kinda disappointed that the only ones Kanon afforded me were Kuze and Mai in the last episode.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 01:54   Link #59
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
You do realize that her full name is "Amano Mishio", right? I see a "Mishio" on the poll.

I like collecting pictures of characters with glasses for some reason. I was kinda disappointed that the only ones Kanon afforded me were Kuze and Mai in the last episode.
Argh, I missed that. I wasn't really reading too hard into it, as I was just looking for A, K, and O specifically.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 11:33   Link #60
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
I don't dislike Makoto's arc.... it went the gamut from funny to tragic --- but it is almost like its own separate (and I mean really separate) fairy tale.
I'd agree with that and there may be a good reason on the part of Kyoani. I always viewed Makoto's arc as the easiest to separate from the other arcs as the ending doesn't really depend on the time it is taking place, although some time needs to have past in the least. Therefore closure can take place without delay.