AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-05-23, 15:06   Link #1
flying ^

Age of Consent

Kinda underhanded tactic by the opposing party, but it's the fact of life for dudes the moment they turn 18.

http://www.tallahassee.com/viewart/2...age-girlfriend
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 16:33   Link #2
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Kinda underhanded tactic by the opposing party, but it's the fact of life for dudes the moment they turn 18.

Agreed. But maybe if she manage to break through this, it would set a precedent for guys as well.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 20:17   Link #3
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

If it's consensual, then none of my business and I don't think the government should really be involved, but whether heterosexual or homosexual, an 18 year old with a 14 year old seems kind of strange to me. Four years age difference is so minor, of course, but an 18 and 14 year old are in completely different stages of mental development.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 20:36   Link #4
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
If it's consensual, then none of my business and I don't think the government should really be involved, but whether heterosexual or homosexual, an 18 year old with a 14 year old seems kind of strange to me. Four years age difference is so minor, of course, but an 18 and 14 year old are in completely different stages of mental development.
The thing is the younger girl's parents are pressing the charges and refuse to let go. So if the government did let the older girl go, that would make the law kind of toothless.

Only thing I find scary is the bar for conviction is so low.
Old 2013-05-23, 21:32   Link #5
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Other sources I've seen put the younger girl at 15 years old. I think she was only 14 at the start of the school year (when they weren't dating). Which frankly is quite a bit of a difference, especially since the older girl literally only turned 18 a few days prior to being charged*. Frankly this is all just nonsense. Age of consent laws should be designed to protect minors from predatory adults. Not their high school upperclassmen.

*This is honestly the thing I find most questionable about the affair. A consensual relationship where age difference is involved shouldn't become less acceptable/legal as the two individuals in question mature. Teenagers dating their classmates shouldn't somehow become pedophiles at 18.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 05:21   Link #6
Bri

Quote:
This type of legislation is intended to deal with loverboys and other types of coercion practices.

The problem here is the attorney who should have dropped charges after he found out it was a normal high school romance when the younger girls parents filed a complaint.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 08:43   Link #7
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
This type of legislation is intended to deal with loverboys and other types of coercion practices.

The problem here is the attorney who should have dropped charges after he found out it was a normal high school romance when the younger girls parents filed a complaint.
This type of law different from state to state, but I do believe the parents for the younger girl is filing charges. A lot of States usually drop the charges if the young "victim" 's family decline to press the charges (for example, it wouldn't be helpful for the 13 years old's baby if Daddy is in jail for the next 20 years).

But this time the 18 yrs old is in trouble because...well, the other family is gunning for her for turning her daughter lesbian.
Old 2013-05-24, 10:11   Link #8
flying ^

^

Here's the facts:

Kaitlyn turned 18 last august. It is in her booking report.

Her victim was still 14 at that time.

Kaitlyn was charged in *February*, some 6 months after turning 18. It appears that she was having sex with a 14-15 year old girl after she turned 18.

The cops listened in on a phone call and determined they had probable cause. They arrested Kaitlyn and she admitted to having had sexual relations with the younger girl at least twice.

She is charged with Lewd and Lascivious Battery. That is a serious charge.

She was offered a plea deal that would have allowed her to be on house arrest for 2 years, avoid jail, and eventually qualify for Florida's Romeo x Juliet law, meaning she gets off the sex offender list.

Apparently, her lawyer nixed the deal and started publicity spin.
(and I think she's partly crazy for not taking the deal)

I would speculate that is because there are known acts that would disqualify her from the RxJ exemption if she is charged for them.

I would be willing to speculate that she may very well be a predatory sex offender, who prefers girls much younger than herself.

She is an attractive young lady, especially in the photos her mother and defense team have put on the net. However, her booking photos are not so glamorous.

The spin machine is in full force trying to make this a gay vs. straight issue. It is not. I've even heard ridiculous spin claiming that Florida law only defines penile or other penetration as a crime, it does not.

Last edited by flying ^; 2013-05-24 at 10:27.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 10:22   Link #9
GDB

Quote:
I would be willing to speculate that she may very well be a predatory sex offender, who prefers girls much younger than herself.
Based on what? Having sex with the same person she's been in a relationship with for a long time at least once every 3 months? This person who also happens to go to the same school as her, and on the same sports team, meaning that they are peers?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 10:26   Link #10
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
This type of law different from state to state, but I do believe the parents for the younger girl is filing charges. A lot of States usually drop the charges if the young "victim" 's family decline to press the charges (for example, it wouldn't be helpful for the 13 years old's baby if Daddy is in jail for the next 20 years).

But this time the 18 yrs old is in trouble because...well, the other family is gunning for her for turning her daughter lesbian.
Maybe, maybe not. Honestly, I have no trouble sympathizing with being creeped out by the 14-18 thing, even if I think the laws governing such things are badly made.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 11:18   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

18/14

That's like a high school student and a second year middle-schooler.

Nothing against people's preferences but more than a little overreaction is going on here

I wonder who's the bigger crook. The one willing to ruin someone's future over something so normal and common or the kid.
Old 2013-05-24, 11:30   Link #12
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
18/14

That's like a high school student and a second year middle-schooler.
It seems like the older one turned 18 right at the start of the school year, while the other would turn 15 by the end of said school year. By that standard, the older one was obviously a 12th grader, while the younger would be a 9th grader. Many schools have 4 year high schools, so they'd be in the same school.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 11:51   Link #13
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Many American high schools are four year schools. As a freshman, I turned 15 about two weeks after school started, but there were several in my class that were 14 most if not all the year. US schools usually start in September and end in June with half of June, all of July, and usually all of August off for Summer.
Old 2013-05-24, 11:52   Link #14
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Most Canadian highschools are 5 years. Some are/were even 6. There's often no concept of middle school.

8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (maybe 13)
Old 2013-05-24, 11:59   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't a six year school be 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12th? As far as I know there is no 13th year of public schooling, as that would be college.

Some schools are shifting to 3 year and 4 year (6, 7, 8 followed by 9, 10, 11, 12). Some have gone 4 years and 3 years, (6, 7, 8, 9 followed by 10, 11, 12).

When I was there is was either K - 8 at one school followed by High School (9-12), or K - 6 at Elementary School, followed by 7 and 8 at an Intermediate School, then High School for 9 - 12. That might have had to do with population size as they we had some large clases. After us they started doing three years at the Intermediate School (6 - 8).
Old 2013-05-24, 12:08   Link #16
willx
Nyaaan~~

Actually, in Ontario there was grade 13. There was basically one more year of "Pre-College" schooling in Ontario vs. most of the rest of the country. It got phased out in the 80s though so was more of a thing that people from a previous generation had to deal with.

In B.C. it was definitely K-7 (elementary) and 8-12 (highschool)
Old 2013-05-24, 12:15   Link #17
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Based on what? Having sex with the same person she's been in a relationship with for a long time at least once every 3 months? This person who also happens to go to the same school as her, and on the same sports team, meaning that they are peers?
Just jail her. Peer or lover, she still touched a minor. Period.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 12:22   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't that set a bad precident for parents looking for money? Your 15 year old daughter is going out with a 17 year old, and they are sleeping together, and they are still doing it once the 17 year old turns 18. At which point the parents of the 15 year old can charge the 18 year old with having sex with a minor.
Old 2013-05-24, 12:38   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Just jail her. Peer or lover, she still touched a minor. Period.
So the relationship and acts performed were OK when the older girl was 17 and the younger was 14, but once the older girl turned 18 then suddenly it became a legal offense worthy of jail? Why?
Old 2013-05-24, 12:55   Link #20
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wouldn't that set a bad precident for parents looking for money? Your 15 year old daughter is going out with a 17 year old, and they are sleeping together, and they are still doing it once the 17 year old turns 18. At which point the parents of the 15 year old can charge the 18 year old with having sex with a minor.
been done already.