AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-10-01, 00:49   Link #1
npcomplete

station logos and raws

Is there a pattern or way to determine when a broadcast or corresponding raw has a logo or not? Does it go by station and/or time of broadcast?
(I'm looking for those without logos)
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 06:01   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

p sure the broadcast engineers just flip coins about it or something

also don't delogo, it almost always ends up looking dumber than if you had left the logo in
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 13:35   Link #3
TheFluff

yes you do, it always shows up in high-motion scenes and at scenechanges and it looks absolutely retarded, don't use it
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-10-03, 08:09   Link #4
npcomplete

^ hmm.. saw first post by Jaka.. didn't see others, guess they were deleted

anyways, I wasn't sure if there was a pattern. I guess there isn't then.
Also I saw a vdub delogo filter but never used it. I wasn't sure how well it works or even how it works (especially for something as big and opaque as the bs11 logo)
Old 2009-10-04, 01:21   Link #5
jpwong

Must have happened with the database thing, cause normally deleted posts still have a small tag showing there used to be a post there.

But I think it just goes by the station like the time clocks that appear on shows that broadcast at certain times, some places have them, some don't and there's no real way to know unless you download the raw and check it.
Old 2009-10-12, 00:43   Link #6
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Is there a pattern or way to determine when a broadcast or corresponding raw has a logo or not? Does it go by station and/or time of broadcast?
(I'm looking for those without logos)
Is this the new "next" thing groups are gonna compete with? Sorry to say that but on the scale of importance it kinda hits like... no where on the list at all ;x.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 14:03   Link #7
jpwong

Doubt it, but if you want to make icons and stuff, sometimes that logo can get in the way depending on where the station puts it, so I can see why some people might desire a logoless cap of some episodes.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 02:10   Link #8
salty
3D MAXEEER

the only way for you to see whether there is station logo in the raw is by dln the raw itself.

anyway, whats wrong with raws having logo of station? would you rather trade high quality raws w/ station logo to low quality raws w/o station logo for your project? no one will trade hq raws to lq raws because of a station logo, maybe a new group or newbie raw provider would do that.

what you should be worrying in these raws is their video quality. pick the one with best video quality as possible or the one with less problems, not by whether a raw has station logo or no logo. lol

Last edited by salty; 2009-10-13 at 05:02.
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 09:18   Link #9
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Generally it's on a channel by channel basis, have a short list:

Use a logo:
TokyoMX
TV Tokyo
TV Osaka
Chiba TV
Sun TV
NHK-E
TVA
MBS
BS-TBS
TBS
BS11
BS2
Animax

Don't use a logo:
TV Kanagawa
TV Saitama
AT-X

May or may not be entirely correct, should be though. In general, the channels without a logo are worse. TVS isn't too bad, but video on AT-X and TVK is fairly horrid. AT-X is uncensored mostly though so if you want your skin and whatnot, theyre worth a look.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 10:20   Link #10
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emess View Post

Use a logo:
TokyoMX
TV Tokyo
TV Osaka
Chiba TV
Sun TV
NHK-E
TVA
MBS
BS-TBS
TBS
BS11
BS2
Animax

Don't use a logo:
TV Kanagawa
TV Saitama
AT-X

May or may not be entirely correct, should be though. In general, the channels without a logo are worse. TVS isn't too bad, but video on AT-X and TVK is fairly horrid. AT-X is uncensored mostly though so if you want your skin and whatnot, theyre worth a look.

E~
TVS uses a logo, and so does AT-X (or at least they both used to).
Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 16:18   Link #11
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
I'm pretty sure AT-X uses a logo, it just isn't displayed all the time. It only appears for a bit every now and then. (After commercial breaks?)
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 22:07   Link #12
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emess View Post

Use a logo:
TokyoMX
TV Tokyo
TV Osaka
Chiba TV
Sun TV
NHK-E
TVA
MBS
BS-TBS
TBS
BS11
BS2
Animax

Don't use a logo:
TV Kanagawa
TV Saitama
AT-X

E~
I think the "flip a coin" thing seems to be the case for some of the channels because I've seen raws for the same station for the same ongoing series both with and without a logo, in particular:
TV Tokyo, Tokyo MX, MBS, TV Osaka, even most of those above I think I recall seeing without logos at some point., with no difference in quality. Perhaps BS11 and Animax always uses a logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Is this the new "next" thing groups are gonna compete with? Sorry to say that but on the scale of importance it kinda hits like... no where on the list at all ;x.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
anyway, whats wrong with raws having logo of station? would you rather trade high quality raws w/ station logo to low quality raws w/o station logo for your project? no one will trade hq raws to lq raws because of a station logo, maybe a new group or newbie raw provider would do that.
Well if you want to use the video in other projects like AMVs then I would much prefer to have one without a logo. I haven't detected any regular difference in quality at all between those with and without logos so I'm not worried there.

I just want to avoid:
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
the only way for you to see whether there is station logo in the raw is by dln the raw itself.
I'd be satisfied with softsubbed fansubs but it appears that most groups use raws with logos for some reason. So I end up wasting a lot of time and bandwidth d/l raws (and checking out multiple raws if one has a logo or is not of good quality).
Old 2009-10-15, 03:02   Link #13
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
I think the "flip a coin" thing seems to be the case for some of the channels because I've seen raws for the same station for the same ongoing series both with and without a logo, in particular:
TV Tokyo, Tokyo MX, MBS, TV Osaka, even most of those above I think I recall seeing without logos at some point., with no difference in quality. Perhaps BS11 and Animax always uses a logo.
If you're talking about MP4 or AVI raws from Share or PD, like what Zero-Raws and others upload on TT, most of those just had the logos filtered out when they were encoded. If you look close during fast motion scenes you can usually spot remnants of the logo.
Old 2009-10-15, 13:32   Link #14
TheFluff

No, he's correct. TokyoMX does have a logo for example, they just turn it off during most (but not all) anime broadcasts. Sometimes you can see it on ads and/or on the first or last few frames of an episode.

Old 2009-10-15, 16:44   Link #15
Zwill
Young Padawan
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Zwill
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
No, he's correct. TokyoMX does have a logo for example, they just turn it off during most (but not all) anime broadcasts. Sometimes you can see it on ads and/or on the first or last few frames of an episode.
Yeah, I can remember that recently Canaan aired w/o the Tokyo MX logo while Bakemonogatari aired w/ the logo turned on which was quite strange at first. Actually I taught that everyone is using shitty TVK raws for Canaan, but that wasn't the case.
Zwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 19:48   Link #16
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Yeah, I know it does vary on some stations. Just saying, MP4/AVI raws aren't especially reliable for determining whether a broadcast has a logo or not since all the Japanese encoders seem to filter them out.

Seems like most of the recent Tokyo MX shows that I've seen have the logo, though. CANAAN is the only one I can recall without it and there's a few I'm watching this season that do have it.
Old 2009-10-15, 21:54   Link #17
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Is filtering out a logo from a transport stream even worth the effort?
Old 2009-10-16, 05:23   Link #18
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
as mentioned before, the OP need it for creating AMVs.

as for other uses, probably not worth the effort. Especially when the filtering failed (on some scenes) and went undetected by the team.
Old 2009-10-16, 05:29   Link #19
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
also don't delogo, it almost always ends up looking dumber than if you had left the logo in
read>comprehend>post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desbreko View Post
Yeah, I know it does vary on some stations. Just saying, MP4/AVI raws aren't especially reliable for determining whether a broadcast has a logo or not since all the Japanese encoders seem to filter them out.
if you're an actual encoder (as opposed to a one- or two-man team doing speedsubs) and you're not not using transport streams in this day and age you should quit fansubbing and commit seppuku in shame

Quote:
Seems like most of the recent Tokyo MX shows that I've seen have the logo, though. CANAAN is the only one I can recall without it and there's a few I'm watching this season that do have it.
p sure there's been at least one other logoless show from mx but I don't remember which one

Old 2009-10-16, 19:34   Link #20
npcomplete

Quote:

Actually I do recall seeing some delogo'ed raws before like Akikan and the light outline of the BS11 logo was still pretty visible. But I don't see that for the truly logoless versions (or at least logoless for most of the running time).

There are more shows on MX without logos: Bakemonogatari, Needless, Princess Lover, etc.