AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite Gurren-Lagann Characters Poll (Multiple Choice)
Simon 204 52.31%
Kamina 227 58.21%
Yoko 186 47.69%
Nia 128 32.82%
Rossiu 23 5.90%
Boota 72 18.46%
Leeron 39 10.00%
Dayakka 10 2.56%
Kittan 81 20.77%
Kiyoh 10 2.56%
Kinon 15 3.85%
Kiyal 30 7.69%
Gimmy 15 3.85%
Darry 49 12.56%
Viral 164 42.05%
Thymilph 3 0.77%
Adiane 21 5.38%
Cytomander 4 1.03%
Guame 10 2.56%
Lord Genome 68 17.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-04, 23:05   Link #101
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Whoa, hey, what's up with the change of attitude? One minute we're having a discussion and the next it's "you're thinking too much about the show it's not serious!!!!" Sure, it's not an entirely serious anime, but it's not a brainless action show either. Some of these things you're actually supposed to take seriously for the full effect. Were you laughing or holding your balls waiting for the next explosion when Kamina died? I sure wasn't.

Besides, "I don't like what they did with this part of the storyline" is about as simple as it gets and it takes me all of...a few seconds to write? No deep thought involved there. I really did like Gurren-Lagann, but I felt there were a few things they could have done better to make the show live up to its full potential.
Well. It would be redundant if you kept on saying things you didn't like, and I thought they were true to some degree, but disagreed on a few things. I'm summing it up and trying to change topics (not that we have really been ON topic, but whatevs) back to Favorite Character thread I guess. It is true that the storyline is bunk, but it really actually is a brainless action show. It's about manliness, and things exploding. Everywhere. I just feel you are thinking too much about the bad aspects of the show. Just a little bit. True, some things could have been better though. It was still the best anime of 2007.
Old 2010-09-05, 03:48   Link #102
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

True, it is about manliness and all that jazz, but I really think you're downplaying it with the "brainless" label. When I think "brainless" in an anime, I'm thinking lowest of the low, like random retarded shit going on all over the place. There are plenty of those. Gurren-Lagann isn't random or haphazard in any way, it just has a breakneck pace and really awesome actions segments.

Still, I understand what you mean in that it's not necessarily emotional, complicated, or dramatic, I just think "it's a brainless action show" is a bit of an insult to the franchise, considered how well-timed and well-crafted it was overall, as well as the number of other shows that truly deserve that label. Gurren-Laggan is not just manly, but a manly work of art.
Old 2010-09-05, 15:44   Link #103
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
True, it is about manliness and all that jazz, but I really think you're downplaying it with the "brainless" label. When I think "brainless" in an anime, I'm thinking lowest of the low, like random retarded shit going on all over the place. There are plenty of those. Gurren-Lagann isn't random or haphazard in any way, it just has a breakneck pace and really awesome actions segments.

Still, I understand what you mean in that it's not necessarily emotional, complicated, or dramatic, I just think "it's a brainless action show" is a bit of an insult to the franchise, considered how well-timed and well-crafted it was overall, as well as the number of other shows that truly deserve that label. Gurren-Laggan is not just manly, but a manly work of art.
Well, in a sense, it was a bit of a brainless anime. You didn't have to think at all to watch it and anybody could understand what was going on. In my opinion the simpleness factor played extremely well in TTGL. It was a break from animes like Death Note and Code Geass, where I was thinking quite a bit about what happened/what is going on. I enjoyed it to the fullest, and I do agree, it's not entirely brainless, I've seen stupider shows, but at the same time there really is no thought involved either. It's just one of those shows that gets the adrenaline going and you jump out of your seat. I know I did several times, I even pointed my finger at the heavens because it was so epic. It still holds my place as #1 anime I have ever seen.
Old 2010-09-07, 17:58   Link #104
Seitsuki
Onee!

Well, that's easy to say in hindsight isn't it? But to be honest, no one but Our Lord Suzumiya Haruhi sama knows just how well a show could have have done until it's aleady released and evaluations can be made. If they had a great happy "everyone lives happily ever after" ending then there would be other people lambasting the show for being too 'unrealistic' (lol) and 'emotionally cheap'. Sure Gainax didn't make a perfect show, but they made the best show they could have. And it's still really ****ing awesome. So let's respect them for that.
Old 2010-09-07, 22:23   Link #105
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Well, that's easy to say in hindsight isn't it? But to be honest, no one but Our Lord Suzumiya Haruhi sama knows just how well a show could have have done until it's aleady released and evaluations can be made. If they had a great happy "everyone lives happily ever after" ending then there would be other people lambasting the show for being too 'unrealistic' (lol) and 'emotionally cheap'. Sure Gainax didn't make a perfect show, but they made the best show they could have. And it's still really ****ing awesome. So let's respect them for that.
Can I get an Amen?
Old 2010-10-19, 20:36   Link #106
Seripha
Dango,Dango,Dango........

Send a message via AIM to Seripha Send a message via MSN to Seripha
Voted for Kamina and Yoko because they're an awesome couple, Kamina is the most awesome sexiest, manliest character ever, and Yoko is adorable, just plain adorable. xD
Old 2010-10-20, 17:47   Link #107
legonut3
I BELIEVE IN HERVEY DENT!

I was sad when boota only really appeared for a little bit in humanoid form. I wanted to see him get into action with some little guy awseomeness

Do you stain you hands with evil to destroy evil, or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to the evil? - Code Geass
Old 2010-10-24, 09:29   Link #108
Kiritsugane
Inquisitor

1. Nia
2. Kamina
3. Yoko

I love all three. If Yoko could wear something decent then she'd probably would've taken second.

Nia is great. I was pretty saddened they killed her off for seriously no reason at all.

Kamina is the man.
Old 2010-11-21, 17:35   Link #109
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Kamina because HE'S THE WHOLE REASON THIS SHOW EXISTS. XD

But really, I adore all the characters. It's very hard to choose between the main four: Kamina, Simon, Yoko, and Nia. They're all fantastic.

I also have a fondness for the twins, Gimmy and Darry after the time jump. Darry's so cute!!
Old 2010-11-27, 04:36   Link #110
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

1.) Kamina: a bold type who carried a lot of spirit in the show. He really appealed to me (aside from his fabulously fabulous athletic figure~~) when I watched Gurren Lagann, IMO, because of his over-the-top, true-to-himself actions. He quickly earned my #1 character spot for this series.

2.) Yoko: She's adorable, and, even though she's independent and carries a gun that's taller than her male companions, she still acts like a girl. I like that about her. Plus, as a Yoko cosplayer, I think it's important to love the character you cosplay in order to fully enjoy your costume and your experience in costume~

3.) Leeron: homg this guy became one of my favorites early on, also. He's one of the few Gurren Lagann characters whom I love in both the Japanese and English dub, because his dialogue is some of the best in the show. <3

4.) Adiane: Between her and Viral, she was a little like comic relief. Sure, she was tough on Viral, but her constant abuse toward him made for some funny physical humor. And, I really like her outfit~~ <3

|facebook.twitter|
Old 2010-11-27, 11:58   Link #111
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
I think it's important to love the character you cosplay in order to fully enjoy your costume and your experience in costume~
This is so true.
Old 2010-12-11, 03:19   Link #112
Marik Swift
The wondering soul

Yoko is my favorite she is just plain out hot.
Old 2011-08-23, 15:54   Link #113
YuriEcchiGirl

It just has to be the gorgeous, funny & super kick-ass Yoko Littner for me
Old 2011-10-23, 23:42   Link #114
HachiMachi

Favorite character of the show.... hmmmm Yoko by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
Yoko is my favorite she is just plain out hot.
Old 2011-11-07, 20:55   Link #115
DukeLawliet
The Golden Duke

Ummm, I voted for Simon mostly cause I cosplay him, but I do that because hes, well, in many ways a lot like me ^^ I'm known to be....a bit shy, and things, hahah...
Old 2011-12-14, 18:08   Link #116
shizuchan
East Hastings

:O i must admit yall older members are rather epic anything i add now will probably just end up coming off as dumb... but here i go! My favorite character in this series was Viral, for the simple reason that his exsistance was tragic. He had substance. He wanted a wife and kids and I felt sad that he couldnt have them So thankyou Viral for making me feel sad for a nonexsistant being
Closed Thread