Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-07-20, 15:08   Link #301
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
As far as I know, the Japanese versions will only have English subtitles, no dubbing.
just did a search and found this

Quote:
Main Disc:
-Special program "Makoto Shinkal: All People in Japan Fall in Love with His Talent" hosted by Ryunosuke Kamiki
-English subtitles with the English version theme song by RADWIMPS
-Promotional clips (teasers, trailers, TV CMs)
-Makoto Shinkai filmography
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...r-july-26-2017
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 16:17   Link #302
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Now, I wonder if should cancel my Japanese release and wait. Never mind I guess if I find the funi version cheap I will double dip. I want to have my brother see it but he hates subs.
Old 2017-07-20, 21:11   Link #303
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
"The popular anime film*from director Makoto Shinkai will be released by Funimation on home video just a few months after it launches in Japan, and will include the "final" version of the movie, which has edits to the theatrical release that were made under the director's guidance.

Standard Editions, including a DVD-only option and a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack, will be available, as well as a Special Edition that includes the Blu-ray and DVD, as well as exclusive artwork and materials from the Japanese release.*Funimation will provide further details about the home release of Your Name at a later date."

Via IGN.

I just hope that Makoto Shinkai didn't make any drastic changes to the home release of this movie since theatrical release probably doesn't exist anymore.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 22:15   Link #304
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
"[...] will include the "final" version of the movie, which has edits to the theatrical release that were made under the director's guidance."[...]Via IGN.
I just hope that Makoto Shinkai didn't make any drastic changes to the home release of this movie since theatrical release probably doesn't exist anymore.
That's certainly a twist in the tale... Details on changes, differences, might become determining factors.

... with an added note re: media & comparison.
Spoiler for a line from the novel:
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 07:58   Link #305
Vegard Aune

...Dang it Shinkai, don't go all George Lucas on us! I mean, you're free to make changes to the movie if you want I guess, but people want to see the movie as they saw it in theaters again! Or at least some do. I mean the logical way to deal with this would be to just include both the theatrical cut and this new "final" cut, but I dunno, the phrasing there was kinda vague on whether that's happening or not. I guess it depends on how big the changes are.
Old 2017-07-21, 17:31   Link #306
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Does that mean the changes are not on the Japanese blurays then.
Old 2017-07-21, 19:20   Link #307
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Convoy View Post
My comment is highly speculative .... Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken but ... the key for figuring that out seems to be how the「特典映像46分」46 minutes of bonus materials on disk one should be interpreted. I see no indication that this means a "Director's cut" type "final edition" of the film. To me that looks like bonus footage provided as extras on the same disk as the original 107 minute long feature...

Not sure what 本編107分+特典映像5分 indicates in that respect either. 107 minutes plus five minutes of bonus footage on the 4k disk.

[General side note, for those reading along. The Japanese disks aren't out yet, btw, going to be released on the 26th of July.]

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-07-21 at 20:33.
Old 2017-07-21, 20:49   Link #308
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
The mid-range looks worthwhile. If it's got both the Japanese audio and English audio with English songs from RADWIMPs, the Funimation release is a winner
Why in the world would you want English dubbing?
Old 2017-07-21, 21:09   Link #309
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Inner completionist in me: fun to compare and contrast the two. Strictly speaking, the Japanese-language one is probably what I'll end up dropping coin for.
Old 2017-07-21, 22:15   Link #310
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Why in the world would you want English dubbing?
Because it's good.
Old 2017-07-21, 22:16   Link #311
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Convoy View Post
Probably, it's just all speculation for now. We'll find out in the next few days if anything was changed on the JP release.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 00:34   Link #312
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Because it's good.
I frankly don't care how good a dub is, because unless the original is plain bad a dub, no matter whether we are talking about live-action movies, anime or TV series, won't hold up to the original. From both an acting and a content standpoint.
Old 2017-07-22, 07:12   Link #313
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Well, the English dub does serve its purpose and localizes the original dub for English audiences pretty decently while sounding very good. That pretty much satisfies my needs. I'm not gonna get into a discussion about subs vs dubs, but I'll probably never listen to the Japanese dub again when I get my hands on the US release.
Old 2017-07-22, 08:26   Link #314
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I'm not gonna get into a discussion about subs vs dubs
Me neither. Since both subs and dubs are flawed concepts. Although dubs lose more of the original acting and directing.
Old 2017-07-22, 09:40   Link #315
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yeah, that's fine. The original dub isn't perfect; there were a couple of moments in the movie that made me cringe in the theater just due to the pitch in some of the characters' voices that sound inappropriate for the intended situation. I believe the English version fixed those specific scenes for me, but I'll have to re-watch them both again when they come out.
Old 2017-07-25, 22:02   Link #316
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The film's home release is out now; enjoy the screenshots!
Old 2017-07-26, 02:10   Link #317
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
The film's home release is out now; enjoy the screenshots!
Do you live in Japan, or why do you have it already?

Too bad I'm not there anymore. My copy is schedule to arrive on Saturday or Monday.
Old 2017-07-26, 08:30   Link #318
Verso Sciolto
Banned

1 hour and 46 minutes for the rental streaming version released today - Amazon, iTunes. Tsutaya listing the run time as 01:46:34.
Old 2017-07-26, 09:40   Link #319
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Do you live in Japan, or why do you have it already?

Too bad I'm not there anymore. My copy is schedule to arrive on Saturday or Monday.
I'm not sure how it worked, myself. Shipping in the True North Strong has been a little unusual, getting the BDs to me that quickly. I looked through the package tracking, and I haven't learned very much as to what led it to be delivered a full day before its release. Having said that, the movie is definitely one of those things that should be watched in 1080p at minimum now that I've seen it. I hope you'll enjoy it in all of its glory when your copy comes
Old 2017-07-26, 16:48   Link #320
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Getting my copy on Friday can not wait, seeing it the theatre never does Justice to a movie. 1080p on a 40" is a much better experience.