Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-20, 11:15   Link #1961
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I definitely agree with this. WotLK improved upon TBC in many ways but voice acting was not one of them. Most of the male characters sound fine (including the Lich King though I still think Michael McConnohie fit much better as Kel'Thuzad) but the females are absolutely atrocious, some of the worst I have ever heard. Thassarian's sister is so over-dramatized she sounds like Julianne from the opera event. Cyanigosa sounds like she was voiced by some random programmer who was just told to try and sound "tough". Ditto for Keristrazsa, except replace "tough" with "sexy". I also don't particularly like how all Vrykul females sound like 80 year old hags. Females don't have to be given such ridiculous voices to sound powerful or brutal, these just come off as silly.
Thassarian's sister was the only one I could ever hear enough that made me go:
"THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL."

Like you said she places this horrible over-drama to EVERYTHING she says. It was so, so bad. Bad enough I wanted to say:
"Ok Thassarian? She's your sister but uhm... I'm going to kill her because she just sounds bad. So bad."
Old 2008-12-20, 11:29   Link #1962
Ending

Anyone noticed how bad the voice-acting is? E.g: Malygos' voice is very unbecoming for him. Is there anyway to turn off boss voice-overs?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 18:52   Link #1963
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The women with the black angel wing seen to have an almost sexy voice...almost.
Old 2008-12-20, 18:52   Link #1964
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Yeah, usually I really like the NPC voices, but a good few of the WotLK ones make me cringe inside.

I like Arthas and Mograine, Tirion isn't bad either but he sounds so self righteous or like he is orating for some Shakespeare play. Malygos is just plain weird, Liquid Snake is cool, but it doesn't suit an age old dragon. He should have had someone who could have done a powerful voice but can put age in it, hell someone like Morgan Freeman would fit it better (you know I've never heard him yell, but his voice has that subtle power to it that makes you listen). Heck who was it we said that could have made a good Arthas or something, Crispin Freeman? (yer sure he is in a lot of stuff but he does a good bad guy sounding voice! Hey wait.. they are both Freemans...)

The women all suck though. Alexstrasza is like... well she doesn't sound like a matron really. She sounds like some sultry wench rather then a wise queen. I mean that voice could probably work for her human form but her dragon form, like Malygos, is just too... wrong.. too thin. There is no meat too it, there is no way something that large would sound like they do! Thassarian's sister is somewhat painful to listen too it felt like she was just reading from the script, the mood doesn't seem quite right for the situation.

But still I don't think these voices can match Anveena for failure of voice acting.

I still prefer voice acting over no voice acting though.

Quote:
The women with the black angel wing seen to have an almost sexy voice...almost.
Svala Sorrowgrave? lol.. she sounds so.. angry, like she's spent all night screaming at someone beforehand.
Old 2008-12-20, 18:55   Link #1965
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'm giving WoW a Break for a month or two. I decided to pick up Lord of the Rings Online and play it for a while. hell maybe it will even replace WoW in my heart.

@mr Hat and clogs - Best Voice acter in the whole game is that Eternal dude in VH (The one with the orbs of death)
Old 2008-12-20, 19:32   Link #1966
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah, the Ethereal voices are great.

LOTRO is a lot of fun, a friend and I played it for a while on our off nights in WoW. With the release of the expansion soon and Moria looking so awesome might just be tempted to give it a go again. Although we didn't raid in LotRO we just played casually.
Old 2008-12-20, 19:33   Link #1967
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post

But still I don't think these voices can match Anveena for failure of voice acting.
Well, I obviously never made it to Sunwell so I've never heard it, but Anveena is a total fail character and thus deserves total fail acting. The Sunwell Trilogy manga that featured her is quite possibly one of the worst things I have ever read. I could write a doctoral thesis on all the negative points of it but to summarize in regards to her, she spent the entire series crying and being captured until the very end, when it became:

Spoiler for just in case someone doesn't want to be spoiled for this horrible series:
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 22:29   Link #1968
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

That's funny, because the females I have to face every day in normal life do sound like that, so I have no problem with it. I'd rather they sounded like bitter 80-year olds or sultry vixens than jailbait. They're not spectacular but they haven't irked me. Actually, there is one subsection of voices I can't stand - any Death Knight NPC that isn't Tharassian. And that stupid Female Undead DK in Icecrown that is the rep vendor for the Ebon Blade who has pigtails - ewwwww... And those Titans in Halls of Lightning tick me off no end.

Voices I do like - Brann Bronzebeard, Razuvious, Noth, Thane Kor'thazz, Kalu'ak NPCs.

I actually liked the Sunwell Trilogy. Filled a huge lore gap. It's the freaking Legends series I can't stand. Three-year olds could draw and write better things than that. Not to mention that god-awful Starcraft manga.

Survey of favourite dungeon bosses - Loken was #1....how?! I can't think of a dungeon boss that has made me despise other players more than Loken... As for Anub'arak being #2.... exact same sentiments. Mal'Ganis at #3... can't think of a weaker boss ever... complete joke. Eregos was #4, personally he was my #1 from the new 5-mans. Was low votes eveny spread after that, except for the one in Halls of Stone, he barely got a vote.
Old 2008-12-20, 22:49   Link #1969
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Speaking of dungeon bosses:

The tank is #3. How someone can do literally half the prot warrior's damage and still refer to themselves as dps is beyond me. The fact that this idiot made it to 80 proves how easy this game is. Oh and he ninja'd the frozen orb too. And #2 is another hunter who outgeared me by a small margin. I really do not think I am good at this game by any means, I guess everyone else I have played with is just bad...

Oh yeah, I also got into a heroic UK run that was supposedly on the last boss. After the tank could not hold aggro on two 1-mob trash pulls that were for whatever reason still up, I left immediately. Turns out he wasn't lying about being on the last boss though. They just had respawns. I didn't even know there were respawns.
Old 2008-12-21, 07:14   Link #1970
Mr Hat and Clogs

Lol you were telling me about that the other day.. haha. Damn you have some bad luck with PuG's at times. Get into that guild stat!
Old 2008-12-21, 09:27   Link #1971
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Speaking of dungeon bosses:

The tank is #3. How someone can do literally half the prot warrior's damage and still refer to themselves as dps is beyond me. The fact that this idiot made it to 80 proves how easy this game is. Oh and he ninja'd the frozen orb too. And #2 is another hunter who outgeared me by a small margin. I really do not think I am good at this game by any means, I guess everyone else I have played with is just bad...

Oh yeah, I also got into a heroic UK run that was supposedly on the last boss. After the tank could not hold aggro on two 1-mob trash pulls that were for whatever reason still up, I left immediately. Turns out he wasn't lying about being on the last boss though. They just had respawns. I didn't even know there were respawns.
Two pieces of advice:

1. Don't join a heroic UK group that is part done - if they're struggling with that place, it's a good chance they suck.
2. Armory people you're partied with before getting saved to a heroic of fail.
Old 2008-12-21, 10:00   Link #1972
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Two pieces of advice:

1. Don't join a heroic UK group that is part done - if they're struggling with that place, it's a good chance they suck.
2. Armory people you're partied with before getting saved to a heroic of fail.
I know, it was 11pm my time though and I was going to log for the day afterward regardless of how that UK run ended up, so didn't care about getting saved. I knew it'd be trouble from the moment I got the tell but I figured I'd make one possibly easy but most likely futile attempt at the xbow before I logged. In normal circumstances I don't feel the need to armory people, if they suck it's usually apparent before or during the first boss. If not, oh well, timer is only a day.
Old 2008-12-21, 11:24   Link #1973
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Quote:
Speaking of dungeon bosses
It's always amazing how bad some players can be. That being said, I've hardly had any problems with any pug doing heroics this expansion. Now that speaks more towards the relatively low difficulty of the heroics rather than the skill of the players, but I've still run across plenty of facepalmers. As for people being bored already, I can sort of understand that. However, there's always achievements to shoot for like 5 min Malygos, undermanning the instances, as well as the Undying and the Immortal.
Old 2008-12-21, 12:28   Link #1974
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
As for people being bored already, I can sort of understand that. However, there's always achievements to shoot for like 5 min Malygos, undermanning the instances, as well as the Undying and the Immortal.
Not that I'm anywhere near that level, but I don't really like the idea of the achievements providing the difficulty. It just feels somewhat artificial to me, purposely putting less players into your raid to make it harder or fighting against a timer instead of the boss. I prefer things to just be challenging in their original form, things like Megaman or Ghouls and Ghosts, before there were even difficulty settings let alone achievements.
Old 2008-12-21, 14:11   Link #1975
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Goal achieved. The bike is not a cool as one would hope (You'd think it would be faster), but it seems to be treaded like a vehical rather than a mount. Thus you can go stunting in the Storm Peaks without taking falling damage. The bike takes it instead. However if it takes too much it dismounts you. You just get back on and keep going. Haven't tried two man yet. It is fun to some extent to use it in Stormwind Harbor to get to the boat by just driving straight out from the city proper.

Still will use my flying mount most of the time and my Dreadsteed, but the bike will have its moments.

Haven't driven off Dalaren yet, but its coming to that.
Old 2008-12-21, 16:42   Link #1976
Ending

Quote:
Best Voice acter in the whole game is that Eternal dude in VH (The one with the orbs of death)
To me it sounded a lot like G-man from Half Life. Since Blizz likes to make references to places (E.g: Blowing Foldir's Horn, Polishing Helmet) I wouldn't be surprised if this was done on purpose.

At least it's slightly better than the rest. But if I had Blizz's budget, I would hire real voice-actors for the job.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 17:10   Link #1977
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quote:
Haven't driven off Dalaren yet, but its coming to that.
Did that in the beta.

Good times, good times (from the top of the spire on the Violet Citadel...)

Old 2008-12-21, 19:02   Link #1978
Clarste
Human

Apparently they're making the mount vehicles act like normal mounts in the next patch though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 21:08   Link #1979
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe. However the bikes specifically say, no fall damage.

And it is kind of fun for that. Did some stunting in Outlland and Westfall (Horde was attacking, but were gone by the time I got there). Did some the first day in the Storm Peaks...started on the Tower of Order and it was all down hill from there to the big canyon.

And those shots of dropping from the city a rather funny (aim for the well).
Old 2008-12-22, 02:14   Link #1980
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Mama Said Knock You Out is a classic reference. LL Cool J was one of the few people who was able to do his genre justice. Today's products are just pathetic compared to the old school. The other one from this expansion I liked was Leave No Goblin Behind , which is a play on from Leave No Man Behind, the mantra of the movie Black Hawk Down. Minstrel Boy is such an amazing song.

It seems there is a major reason to go Oracles rather than Frenzyheart....recall that all colours of the Dragonflight where covered by current mounts except for one - Green? From the Mysterious Egg, there is a small chance you can get an epic mount, the Green Proto Drake. You can only get one a week then have to wait for it to hatch before you get another one. It can also hatch into one of four pets, sometimes it ends up as mere yolk. I got a Cobra Hatchling from my first egg. Here's hoping that mount comes my way soon.

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows