AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-02-29, 18:19   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll end our minor derail ( ) with the note that Makube doesn't pretend to be polished or an editor. He's just taking first swack at a basic translate. No one has even approached a swing in public as to a "polished presentation" of the narration or dialog in the story. Makube is hoping someone will make a second pass at what he wrote.

I've actually been spending more time comparing my scribbles and notes to the "wiki" project trying to translate the novels. We may end up with 3 or 4 versions at the end, tweaked for various interests (rather like Lucky*Star .... which had 2 or 3 versions. Heck, I remember Shuffle! had 3 subs which varied a fair amount even in pretty straightforward bits of dialog ).

I suspect the closest we'll get with Horo's speech is a sort of "classy british" with a bit of sauciness and the rare archaic bit (sort of Audrey Hepburn, can't think of a modern example).
Old 2008-03-05, 21:46   Link #62
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Also, is there any information on Viz's releases of the third Shakugan no Shana light novel and Tokyopop's third Full Metal Panic!? (I'm rather fond of Tokyopop's release, it's fun, flavourful, and it's a better translation than Shakugan no Shana's in my opinion, more formal, but it still holds the informality one would expect from a light novel.)
No news on Shakugan no Shana, but Full Metal Panic's third volume has been solicited and is set for June.
Old 2008-03-11, 03:08   Link #63
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
No news on Shakugan no Shana, but Full Metal Panic's third volume has been solicited and is set for June.
Ah, I think I had learned earlier the same day, but thanks for the reply.

Seeing as this has pretty much become the "general Light Novel discussion thread", I'd like to ask some questions:
1. What is the FLCL light novel? I'm quite sure that it was an original work and I've heard the manga based on it wasn't great, and I checked the wiki and saw no mention of the light novel, though I've seen it listed on several sites. (Also, I'd like to know whether its worth buying if I'm looking for a good read.)

2. I'm aware it's not a light novel, but I've heard that the Welcome to the NHK novel is a good read. I haven't seen the anime nor read the manga, and I wanted to know if anyone would express an opinion on the matter, and maybe whether or not I should read the novel then watch the anime or vice-versa.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 19:25   Link #64
Tragic
Stuck in Shitstorm
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Tragic
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
2. I'm aware it's not a light novel, but I've heard that the Welcome to the NHK novel is a good read. I haven't seen the anime nor read the manga, and I wanted to know if anyone would express an opinion on the matter, and maybe whether or not I should read the novel then watch the anime or vice-versa.
I read the novel after watching the anime and since the novel came first, I'd have to say that they follow each other very well. I would recommend watching the anime and reading the book. Which ever order you would prefer. They are both excellent in my opinion.
Tragic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 07:56   Link #65
NeoSam

Let there be a release schedule, and here it is:
http://lightnovel.org/release-schedule

The release includes BL novels. Also japanese children's literature is included but only those that are considered by japanese fans to be light novels.
Old 2008-03-18, 17:36   Link #66
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I have always encourage a translator to get the "spirit" of the story down first, im my honest opinion to strive for literal perfection from a fan translation is a waste of time.

I'm glad that fan translation is by comparison to "paid" work, is not up to standard, if there was (and i can mention a few who do) they should really should get a job in the translation business.

To me translating novels should be fun & enjoyable.

Only then can the novels itself can be enjoyed by the readers for what the authors envisioned.

I wish there was more interest in fan translation, because it is also a real benefit for people to practice their reading and understanding of Asian languages.

one of the best things we at Baka-Tsuki has found, is a free online light novel magazine, that publish on the net serialized novels.

we hope to get some interest in some of them, as it provides a nice source of raws to help our exotic bookworm otakuness.
Old 2008-03-18, 23:25   Link #67
Matt122005

Quote:
one of the best things we at Baka-Tsuki has found, is a free online light novel magazine, that publish on the net serialized novels.

we hope to get some interest in some of them, as it provides a nice source of raws to help our exotic bookworm otakuness.
Not to sound prideful, but........I don't see credit being given. lol

I mean, I'm with Baka-Tsuki, but anyways..... I was the one that proposed the idea and found the magazine. "7 Nights", a series from there, is already being translated. However there are 4 others that are not. And their really good.

-Matt

PS. Glad you think it's one of the BEST things I found, makes me glad I'm a contributing member.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 12:47   Link #68
sakurazaki90

Looking forward for Young Gun Carnaval and Chrome Shelled Regios........
Gun Princess, it got released in Indonesia from a long time ago, but stopped at vol 02 >.<
sakurazaki90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 15:34   Link #69
Matt122005

I think Gun Princess will come March 2009. But thats just a guess.

-Matt
Old 2009-02-23, 02:18   Link #70
Matt122005

Man, the liscensing explosion is dieing down by alot. <_<

Seven Seas has stopped their product lines, and TokyoPop as well.

At least Yen Press is publishing Haruhi and Spice and Wolf. I hope they can suceed in their plans for popularizing them. I really do, for the sake of all light novels. ^_^

But, Yen Press better be prepared for hardships, that for sure.

-Matt

PS. There's also that new VIZ sci-fi japanese novel label their launching. But they arent light novels sadly.
Old 2009-02-23, 04:12   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Economy sucks.... its put a hurt on a lot of "new product lines". And frankly, SS and TP have both made classic over-expansion errors and tactical errors with their core consumers. Lets hope Yen Press was taking notes on "things not to do"....
Old 2009-02-23, 12:47   Link #72
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

/sig that means I can't own FMP 4 eh?

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 16:28   Link #73
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
But, Yen Press better be prepared for hardships, that for sure.

-Matt

PS. There's also that new VIZ sci-fi japanese novel label their launching. But they arent light novels sadly.
Yen have one of the largest publishers in the industry backing them. They're also still small scale enough to be able to work through the economy crash. Only way they can goof up is if they license a load of garbage, which they have avoided doing so so far
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 13:07   Link #74
tsunade666

does this mean their will be no more light novel release?
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 21:09   Link #75
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

There will be some, the question is, "How much?"

I'm already planning on getting all the Spice and Wolf books. I never bought Haruhi because...well, no matter how much people are infatuated with it, it's just not suiting to my tastes. It's good...I just get so bored with the story line...even if it's filled with fantastic events.

I've been thinking about getting GOSICK of late, as I'm in a Sherlock Holmes fetish at the moment, and reading pages and pages of the book.

But I'm definitely getting Spice and Wolf.
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 08:52   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
does this mean their will be no more light novel release?
No one said that.... the economy sucks right now in case you haven't been noticing So one can expect a slow down of new releases and the publishers being much more careful with their selections.

They'll watch to see how well the currently planned offerings sell.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:11   Link #77
ellifeedn
Thinker

So how well is the light novel market in America?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:14   Link #78
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
So how well is the light novel market in America?
Well, what's that last English Light Novel you've heard of ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:27   Link #79
Athena
The Power of One

I know Chinese licence companies have started to take actions at least.

For English LN market, I'd say that the sales aren't horrible. But I would expect maybe a digital turn on LN licensing since it doesn't cost money for printing.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:32   Link #80
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I know Chinese license companies have started to take actions at least.
I had to stop myself from going on a spending spree while in Taiwan Short of Japan itself, that is Light Novel Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
For English LN market, I'd say that the sales aren't horrible. But I would expect maybe a digital turn on LN licensing since it doesn't cost money for printing.
Sales is one thing, but it feels like their line-up is pretty much stagnant- They're clearly not all that interested anymore.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels