Notices

Old 2010-08-13, 00:24   Link #1
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2: Retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelicNews Forum
THQ Inc. today announced that a second stand-alone expansion for its genre redefining real time strategy game, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, is scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2011.

Taking place years after the events in Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, this title allows players to choose their perspective with the first multiple-race single player campaign in the Dawn of War II series. The first race to be revealed is the savage Orks, but no matter which race is chosen players will be taken on an epic journey through each story arc, revealing the answers to many questions left open in previous Dawn of War titles.

As well as the single player campaign, Retribution will feature new multiplayer units, maps and an entire new playable faction when it ships.

Jeff Lydell, Producer of Dawn of War II - Retribution commented: "We all love the Blood Ravens here at Relic Entertainment, but there are also a lot of fans of the other races and armies out there so we decided that Retribution should allow the player the freedom to experience the campaign from the perspective they select."

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II -- Retribution is scheduled to be released for Windows PC in the first quarter of 2011.
PC Gamer: Dawn of War 2 Retribution lets you play as Orks
PC Gamer: Dawn of War 2 Retribution Screenshots

Seems we'll get our first multi-race campaign for Dawn of War II this time round, although as of yet only the Ork side has been revealed. And also one new playable race will be added, I'm hoping it'll be the Imperial Guard this time around

Pirate Orkz are LOL though

Spoiler for WAAAAAARGH:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2010-08-18 at 02:03.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-13, 01:55   Link #2
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I was expecting another expansion to the Warhammer 40k game.

After "Chaos Rising" they just had to make another expansion and hopefully it will follow the choices you made during "Chaos Rising" and come to conclusions on what will happen to your crew and all the effects you did in the past.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 01:56   Link #3
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Post moved to first post

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-08-18, 04:13   Link #4
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And also one new playable race will be added, I'm hoping it'll be the Imperial Guard this time around
It's has to be after the events in Chaos Rising. A full Inquisition will fall upon the Blood Ravens and longstanding rival elements in the Imperium will no doubt use this chance to brand them as heretics and see the chapter torn apart.

So anyway, no doubt one new hero Unit will be the Inquisitor.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 04:59   Link #5
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm praying for Tau myself. But orks are nice too.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 09:42   Link #6
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm praying for Tau myself. But orks are nice too.
Heresy! *blam*

What this game needs more of is Imperial Guard.
Old 2010-08-18, 13:11   Link #7
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'll admit that Imperial Guard would fit in this game. Both orks and IG are armies that, lorewise, rely on drowning the other in bodies. That means they share a similar type of gameplay.

This line of thinking would also give us a chance at a Tyranid campaign, though considering the Tyranids lack of individuality and personality, that'd make the story rather bland. Food -> eat about sums it up.
Old 2010-08-19, 02:18   Link #8
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Well, we could always see the return of the Necrons as well.
Old 2010-08-19, 02:25   Link #9
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Eldar hate both Tyranids and Necrons, but especially Necrons with a deep, deep hatred. So we could possibly see Necros.

The Imperial Guard could get some bloody action in this, I mean the Space Marines do need their occasional "meat shield" to not lose so much troops to the Orks and preserve for the bigger threats.

Tau is a small chance by the way things are going.
Old 2010-08-19, 11:02   Link #10
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm praying for Tau myself....
Take THAT Imperium!! The REAL Good Guys are here!!

And no, none of that "we sterilize people" crap. Remember that the debriefings are told from a HUMAN point of view; prone to slander, prejudice and fabrications rather than honorable truth.

FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!
Old 2010-08-19, 18:44   Link #11
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Take THAT Imperium!! The REAL Good Guys are here!!

And no, none of that "we sterilize people" crap. Remember that the debriefings are told from a HUMAN point of view; prone to slander, prejudice and fabrications rather than honorable truth.

FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!
*Cough* Er, no. The debriefings are neutral and not done from human (or should I say, Imperial) observations. It's a common misconception to believe that the Tau are the good guys, but they're not. They're just... slightly less evil guys. Unlike the Imperium, they give you the chance to enter their empire peacefully, but if you don't take it, you might as well jump up and down in front of a commisar yelling "I'm a heretic!"

The population in Dark Crusade got neutered for being uppity.

To put is simply, the only difference between the Tau and the other races is that where the other races just start shooting, the Tau ask, then shoot.
Old 2010-08-19, 21:21   Link #12
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Gamestar - Dawn of War 2: Retribution preview (via RelicNews)

Here's one interesting line in the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
But at the end of the gamescom mission a female eldar farseer said “The Inquisition is comming!” This could mean that the imperial inquisition will be the 6th playable faction:
Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, Nids and Chaos Marines. Maybe even as playable campaign-choice.

Old 2010-08-20, 00:26   Link #13
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Nah, the Inquisitor will just be a Hero Unit to the IGs.

Also if you think about the fact of IGs being a NPC race since Dawn Of War 2 vanilla, it's quite logical and easy for Relic to dump them in for Retribution without the hassel to build and program in an entirely new race from scratch.

As to Tau, they are obviously created by Game Workshop as a jab in respond to the sudden rise of China at the turn from last century with the belief in "Greater Good" reeking of Communisim, and Tau being a relatively technological advanced young race and all. So them being the good guys/bad guys is purely subjective.
Old 2010-08-20, 03:41   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Nah, the Inquisitor will just be a Hero Unit to the IGs.

Also if you think about the fact of IGs being a NPC race since Dawn Of War 2 vanilla, it's quite logical and easy for Relic to dump them in for Retribution without the hassel to build and program in an entirely new race from scratch.

As to Tau, they are obviously created by Game Workshop as a jab in respond to the sudden rise of China at the turn from last century with the belief in "Greater Good" reeking of Communisim, and Tau being a relatively technological advanced young race and all. So them being the good guys/bad guys is purely subjective.
Wasn't the Tau based on anime and Robotech?
Old 2010-08-20, 04:55   Link #15
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Both, communism is the inspiration for the background, anime mecha the inspiration for the looks.

I've always found it fun to simply stick 'in space' behind everything to make things overly simple.

Tau are communists in space.

(Dark) Eldar are elves in space.

The Imperium is Christianity in space.

Space Marines are knights in space.

Imperial Guard is patriotism in space.

And so on. The only exception are the tyranids, who are an alien sci-fi race to begin with.
Old 2010-08-20, 05:18   Link #16
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Actually most of the races in 40K are based on British Society Social Standings

Hence the Emperor represents the (useless) monarchy

IGs are the (rowdy) Soilder Boys

Orks are the (always bickering) football hooligans.

Eldars are (dying) snooblish aristocratics.

I see the Chaos as the IRAs.

No idea for what the Astartles are.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2010-08-20 at 07:26.
Old 2010-09-16, 03:18   Link #17
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/15/re...ive-for-steam/

GFWL ditched, Relic will be using Steamworks for Matchmaking, Stats and Achievements come the release of Retribution. Original DoW2 and Chaos Rising will still use GFWL.

This is good, I always thought it was strange that DoW2 used Steamworks for installation only and used GFWL for achievements and the multiplayer experience. I wonder if they'll use Steam Cloud for saves, too.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 04:46   Link #18
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

DoW II: Retribution Eldar trailer:

Nothing really new, except perhaps confirmation of the Eldar getting their own campaign. Also, new lava-world map tileset.

Old 2010-09-28, 17:58   Link #19
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I suppose the second race to be revealed is the Eldar. With dealing against the forces of Chaos on a world that is probably being consumed by their evilness Of course the Eldar campaign is probably going to reveal to us what the Eldar know and experienced with the forces of Chaos in the past times (If you played the very first Dawn of War 40k game) Or was that revealed already how much they know about Chaos?
Old 2010-09-29, 07:36   Link #20
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

How about a Chaos Campaign that actually dares to disgust and offend here ?

Chaos had been portrayed as somewhat Gothic Punk-lish and we never see the more graphical side to them as portrayed in the novels and codex. For the deeds, I recommend the Emperor's Childen at their very worse, multilations and violations of living or dead alike for pleasures, giving and recieving pains, but laughing all about it along the way. Game is already rated M anyway, so what are they afraid of ?

Tags
warhammer 40k