AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-06-15, 00:47   Link #1561
deadite

I think it's good to note that when Kumiko was saying she could just die in episode 8 is a reference to Yuki-Onna legend where one is just in awe of beauty that don't care if it costs their lives. This implies Kumiko feels like she's being sucked in something dangerous yet can't help but be amazed. I never thought of it as Kumiko falling for Reina but was enchanted by the whole experience.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 01:06   Link #1562
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I think it's good to note that when Kumiko was saying she could just die in episode 8 is a reference to Yuki-Onna legend where one is just in awe of beauty that don't care if it costs their lives. This implies Kumiko feels like she's being sucked in something dangerous yet can't help but be amazed. I never thought of it as Kumiko falling for Reina but was enchanted by the whole experience.
Well, that kind of ties into the other theme that's been talked about here, the idea that Reina wanting to stand out and be "special" goes against the Japanese culture of waiting your turn, letting the senpais have all the important jobs regardless of ability, maintaining social harmony and so on. Reina dares to be different, to be her own person, and that makes her dangerous. Kumiko sees the danger, but also sees what Reina is capable of, and that combination is what's pulling her in.

I was having another discussion on this subject elsewhere, and I pointed out that we Westerners, and Americans in particular, might not realize the full extent of what Reina is trying to do. American popular culture is full of young, talented people struggling against the established order, trying to step out and show everyone how special they are. We look at Reina, and we see ourselves. But things other people have pointed out tell me the Japanese audience doesn't see the story in quite the same way.

Oh, and meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
I too would like to hear examples of what real school girl lesbians act like.
The ones I've known weren't all that different from what the other school girls act like.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 01:12   Link #1563
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It's clear, but hasn't been given any emotional substance through the anime.
My point was that Reina 'loving' Taki romantically is the ONLY thing that can NOT be disputed at this time in the anime, but everything else can be. People were wondering why others can not see certain scenes as they do, which to me blows my mind considering the anime has left a ton of scenes up in the air on how you can read them.

Not really sure how 'emotional substance' figures into anything here... heck, even how much a particular couple is given 'emotional substance' is a subjective thing as well, which only further proves my point. XD

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not an "osananajimi shipper," so I don't interpret continuing childhood friendship as being any indication of romance.
That I can respect. Heck, the vast majority of people hold the same opinion.

Quote:
In anime, osananajimi don't often become romantic couples.
I would agree if it was any other medium, but childhood friends become romantic couples plenty of times in TV anime. In fact, my entire obsession with anime hinges on the fact that childhood friends get together more often than they lose in anime. Heck, I've made an entire thread dedicated it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 01:23   Link #1564
wolfie74
Some say stacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I was having another discussion on this subject elsewhere, and I pointed out that we Westerners, and Americans in particular, might not realize the full extent of what Reina is trying to do. American popular culture is full of young, talented people struggling against the established order, trying to step out and show everyone how special they are. We look at Reina, and we see ourselves. But things other people have pointed out tell me the Japanese audience doesn't see the story in quite the same way.

The ones I've known weren't all that different from what the other school girls act like.
Yeah that was one of the things that were a bit of a culture shock to me when I was living in Japan for a couple years. They are definitely a bit looser in the Kanto Region (Tokyo and Surrounding Areas) while the Kansai Region is bit more conservative. Regardless all of Japan acts as a collective mindset so individualism isn't something they practice regularly. Heck, PDA isn't considered the norm. Although I've been seeing 20-somethings holding hands more often now (at least a year ago) LOL. It's tough being a gaijin there much less very Americana

LOL, just lurking mostly but this debate is heating up like the Macross forums during Macross Frontier's initial broadcast run. THAT turned ugly rather quickly! Back then I was going under another Animesuki Pseudonym but nonetheless, I shouldn't have been surprised that the discussion would resort to the topic of romance. And I'm just here for the pretty visuals hahaha!

EDIT: Does anyone else get an 80s vibe from this series? I've been watching anime since the 70s and the 80s/early 90s were perhaps my favorite periods of this medium. The character design for Kumiko just looks like it belongs in something that Toshihiro Hirano (of Iczer/Iczellion fame) would have directed. If anything, this series gives me a feeling of nostalgia during that era.

-Wolfie

Twitter
https://www.twitter.com/Wolfie_Stickel

"Animators are actors with pencils"
--Glen Keane

Last edited by wolfie74; 2015-06-15 at 01:45. Reason: added more thoughts.
wolfie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 02:08   Link #1565
bohaha

Hallo!, the preview for ep 11 is up: http://anime-eupho.com/sp/

My reaction opening the website:

welp, I couldn't understand anyways... so I'll let my imagination go wild
bohaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 02:14   Link #1566
ices
Working Hard

Ep. 11 PV in youtube

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 03:42   Link #1567
Takigan

Spoiler for Giving this one the old college try as well:
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 05:03   Link #1568
Soshishi

Spoiler for ep 11 pv:

Last edited by Soshishi; 2015-06-15 at 05:21. Reason: woops almost forgot spoiler tag for pv
Soshishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 05:04   Link #1569
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takigan View Post
Spoiler for ep11 pv:
Old 2015-06-15, 06:09   Link #1570
Eragon
Still Alive

Really, really good friends. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if they kissed. Its what all female friends do.
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2015-06-15, 06:24   Link #1571
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takigan View Post
I do want Reina to win. Because I fcking hated Ribbon implying that Reina got it handled on a silver plate. So there is a bit of spite in my sentiments.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 06:25   Link #1572
Salva
Princess since baptism.

Okay this was over the top. I thought I started grasping Reina but THIS, this doesn't make any sense. I'm confused. The hug was alright and I thought they established something but this… I'm disappointed.
Old 2015-06-15, 06:50   Link #1573
Soshishi

You'd think after the show revealed Shuichi was interested in Kumiko that the baiting would lessen, hell probably just stop altogether, but NOPE. The baiting is only getting stronger with each passing episode. God dammit Kyoani my heart hurts so bad. Why you do this to me

Also, don't get me wrong, just cause I call the scenes baiting doesn't mean I dislike them or think they're unimportant to the story. I very much enjoy them it's just every time I see them my heart breaks cause I know Kyoani don't have the balls to make them canon despite how much they like shoving them everywhere and anywhere.
Soshishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 06:54   Link #1574
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Spoiler for PV:
Old 2015-06-15, 07:05   Link #1575
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soshishi View Post
You'd think after the show revealed Shuichi was interested in Kumiko that the baiting would lessen, hell probably just stop altogether, but NOPE. The baiting is only getting stronger with each passing episode. God dammit Kyoani my heart hurts so bad. Why you do this to me

Also, don't get me wrong, just cause I call the scenes baiting doesn't mean I dislike them or think they're unimportant to the story. I very much enjoy them it's just every time I see them my heart breaks cause I know Kyoani don't have the balls to make them canon despite how much they like shoving them everywhere and anywhere.
They are just selling a title. It's what marketing does. Really, you guys should just move on already.
Old 2015-06-15, 07:12   Link #1576
Eragon
Still Alive

^ This is a discussion forum so, you should shut up already. People can and will discuss what they like
Old 2015-06-15, 07:54   Link #1577
night_sentinel

Looks at the preview. lol

Seriously, can we call it bait at this point? Its episode 11 with 2 episodes to go, (I think?) 80% of the anime is almost over. The supposed "bait" is running full speed for a good portion of the show. Even if they dumped a surprised het ending at the last minute, they can never build it up to counter the Kumiko-Reina development at this point.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 08:04   Link #1578
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Let's just pretend Kumiko and Reina are just really good friends like KyoAni wants us to believe. Seriously. Let's ignore obvious attempts at bringing back this dead horse and focus on all the other things the show did right. Like Natsuki's hawtness, Asuka's mystery, the band drama, and Natsuki's hawtness.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 08:07   Link #1579
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
They are just selling a title. It's what marketing does. Really, you guys should just move on already.
I can't help but sympathize with your sentiment. My previous post of what proportion of this thread was devoted to episode 8 has, since episode 9, grown proportionally, exponentially it seems. I doubt that it will ever stop until, perhaps, long after the whole series has ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
^ This is a discussion forum so, you should shut up already. People can and will discuss what they like
You are contradicting yourself *. If you have a right to express your opinions on this (or any other animesuki thread) so does orion, or anyone else.

* I am not surprised at how rude, crude and vulgar some people can be behind the mask of Internet invisibility. Public morals have certainly plummeted in my lifetime, particularly with the advent of the Internet.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 08:13   Link #1580
Eragon
Still Alive

Expressing an opinion is one thing. Telling people to stop discussing about things they like to discuss is another. My post was telling him/her to stop shutting down discussion about things he/she doesn't like.

One is not the same as the other. Your lack of understanding of language and context is admirable.

As for the * part of your post,

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra