AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-05, 10:37   Link #21
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

LOL

In my part of the world, we have a term called "Hockey Mom". I personally don't play hockey, but seen enough of my friends' families that I know it's a real thing. Kaoru reminds me so much of them, just with baseball instead. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-05, 15:06   Link #22
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I really hope we don't have any triangle crap happen. I generally don't mind triangles too much, but something feels like it'd be dumb to have Sakura start taking an interest in Hikaru.

Can't help but wonder what's up with Hikaru's father though, from the preview. Did he at some point fail/refuse to play or teach him? Is he going to get jealous that the father who doesn't teach him is teaching someone else's kid?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-05, 19:33   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
LOL

In my part of the world, we have a term called "Hockey Mom". I personally don't play hockey, but seen enough of my friends' families that I know it's a real thing. Kaoru reminds me so much of them, just with baseball instead. XD
The thing about Kaoru is, she can walk the walk. I mean, 40 year-old bodies can't handle jumping right back into unnatural things like throwing a baseball as hard as you can, but she loves the game and was legit good at it. I think she sees the frustration in Daigo because of how much he loves baseball and just wants to help him find a way to express it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-06, 14:15   Link #24
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One thing struck me as odd was Daigo's surprise at a girl being able to handle Hikaru's throws. I mean, his mother was great at baseball, and his sister was a killer ace for the Dolphins until she entered junior high. He knows plenty well that a girl can kick butt on the field, so why should he suddenly freak out NOW? I mean, if he was freaking because it was Sakura specifically, I'd understand, but he was specifically surprised about it on account of gender, which just doesn't seem to fit. If your big sis is a karate champion who could break your neck without meaning to, you wouldn't be surprised that a "girl" can fight, would you?
Old 2018-05-06, 17:38   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I kind of think it was because it was Sakura, and just generally that Hikaru had replaced him. Daigo just kind of wigged out - I suspect it was that more than it being a girl generally.
Old 2018-05-07, 18:31   Link #26
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I kind of think it was because it was Sakura, and just generally that Hikaru had replaced him. Daigo just kind of wigged out - I suspect it was that more than it being a girl generally.
Look at what he said though. "But, a GIRL!?", "Why's a girl able to catch your throws!?". It felt like he was insulted at being replaced, and he personally found being replaced by a girl to be an even greater shame.
Old 2018-05-12, 23:40   Link #27
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I don't buy it one sec. Pretty sure Hikaru is going to live with his dad, and they'll actually form a battery. I mean, the OP had the trio in dolphin uniform right? Mutsuko hasn't even joined yet, so I don't think Hikaru is going to be completely out of the picture before that.

Old 2018-05-13, 12:58   Link #28
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I don't buy it one sec. Pretty sure Hikaru is going to live with his dad, and they'll actually form a battery. I mean, the OP had the trio in dolphin uniform right? Mutsuko hasn't even joined yet, so I don't think Hikaru is going to be completely out of the picture before that.
My guess would be that he's out for the rest of elementary school, then in junior high he'll be back. Sakura too was only forbidden from playing for the last few months she has left in grade school.
Old 2018-05-14, 01:46   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Remember, though, that once boys and girls hit junior high baseball (even assuming the school has a girls team, and not just softball) is no longer co-ed.
Old 2018-05-14, 05:48   Link #30
Ulin

Isn't it from high school? then I guess we won't see Sakura playing with the boys as we saw Kaoru
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-14, 07:47   Link #31
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Remember, though, that once boys and girls hit junior high baseball (even assuming the school has a girls team, and not just softball) is no longer co-ed.
I'm pretty sure it depends on the school. Not to mention that Daigo's sister sounds like she's playing for a co-ed baseball team at her school. And Daigo's mother only stopped playing alongside his father because of personal choice, not regulations. So either this rule doesn't apply in Japanese high schools or it doesn't apply in this anime's high schools.
Old 2018-05-14, 08:58   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not sure if it's officially outlawed here, but I've never seen a co-ed team 7th grade and up, and most junior high schools in fact only have softball teams for girls.
Old 2018-05-14, 12:33   Link #33
BWTraveller
Born to ship

The way it talks of his sister's participation in middle school, I'd guess that it's permitted. Only thing I've found online from a brief search is that girls aren't allowed to participate in games or practice at Koshien stadium on "safety concerns" (on account of differences in average strength). Articles I found didn't say jack about whether they could play outside said championship. So I wouldn't be surprised if, at least in this anime/manga, it's accepted.
Old 2018-05-14, 17:55   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I always assumed Nee-San was at a middle school which had a girls team, but you could be right. I mean, the clock is ticking and where Sakura is concerned, of course if she doesn’t play on a mixed team in junior high the story seems kind of adrift where she’s concerned.
Old 2018-05-19, 08:14   Link #35
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Daigo finally received a talk he should've gotten a long time ago. Seriously, it should've been obvious to anyone who talked to him for more than a few minutes about his baseball how concerned he was with his weak shoulder, and anyone with brains about child development would've told him it's way too early to write himself of as useless on account of it. It would've done Daigo so much good to have someone sit him down much earlier and walk him through what his shoulder did and, more importantly, didn't mean in terms of baseball, back when he first found out and was worrying about it. Yeah, some of his dreams were still crushed: unless something crazy happens and his shoulder transforms, he's not likely to be a pitcher like his dad. But it'd still give him hope that, with work, he can still become something great.

On a different note, I kind of wish Mustuko would stop acting all tsun and bottling up the cause, and just yell out what upsets her about his actions and words. Don't just throw down the glove and storm off, let him know how hypocritical it sounds when he tells her not to bother if she's easily discouraged. Get a bit more conversation going. Either way, I can't help but wonder how long it'll take before she's willing to admit to herself that her first love is revived, or maybe even never ended.
Old 2018-05-19, 08:33   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, I strongly feel Daigo has been poorly served by the adults in his life. Goro is basically absentee, meaninglessly prolonging his career at the expense of being with his family. And while Kaoru means well, she's pushed Daigo when he needed space and manipulated him when he needed understanding. Fortunately Goro finally did something right as a father and recruited Toshiya to do what he was unable or unwilling to do himself. And Toshiya's personality is a perfect match for Daigo at this point in his life.
Old 2018-05-20, 21:12   Link #37
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

It's true, geniuses aren't the best teachers. I don't blame Daigo's family; Goro is pretty much a prodigy, the sister seems to have inherited his talent, while Kaoru did pretty well by herself well up to high school. Daigo IS the black sheep, and I'm glad for Toshiya's presence since he himself started from nerdy kid. Hell, if I didn't know better, I'd say Daigo is more like Toshiya's kid if Kaoru ever cheated on Goro. I mean, it is pretty darn weird Toshiya is spending so much time with Daigo with baseball practice, but he spent very little with his own son. lol

In any case, looks like Mutsuko gets to join. So lets say, 3 episodes before best friend comes back? XD

Old 2018-05-21, 01:55   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Except Daigo looks exactly like Goro, ROFL.

If you look at the guys who make the best managers in baseball, obvious trends emerge. First, ex-catchers disproportionately dominate - they're the coaches on the field. And yes, journeyman players - backup catchers, utility infielders, career minor leaguers - tend to be better managers than ex-stars. Those guys often can't communicate as well with players who aren't freak talents like they are. And guys who weren't as gifted have to find other ways to play winning baseball, which are more teachable.
Old 2018-05-21, 10:29   Link #39
eceso

so should we expect a time skip soon ?
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-21, 16:31   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A question better asked in the manga thread, seems to me.

Tags
baseball, sports