AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-07-31, 12:56   Link #41
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
except the last one because I'd never heard of it until now.
It's an anime adaptation of the manga adaptation of the Chinese classic "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". It's not a full adaptation, sadly, but it's still something I consider to be a classic anime.

P.S. I forgot to put Rose of Versailles in my list. Also gave it 10/10.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-31, 23:29   Link #42
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

According to MAL, Owarimonogatari 2nd Season. Man, what a show.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 09:28   Link #43
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

My most recent masterpiece is Yama no Susume, all three seasons taken together. Between the deeply enjoyable character dynamics, personal growth, stunning scenery and adorable moments, I find myself wishing for the fourth season to come out each and every day (and twice on Sundays) now that I’ve finished the three seasons.
Old 2019-08-01, 10:28   Link #44
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
It's an anime adaptation of the manga adaptation of the Chinese classic "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". It's not a full adaptation, sadly, but it's still something I consider to be a classic anime.

P.S. I forgot to put Rose of Versailles in my list. Also gave it 10/10.
I looked it up before I posted since I'd figured I'd love it as well, but finding out it's an incomplete adaptation is a bit of a turn off. I guess I could jump on the manga, assuming it's been translated.
Old 2019-08-01, 17:37   Link #45
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I've only ever given three shows 10/10:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
  • Ghost in a Shell - Stand Alone Complex
  • 5 Centimeters Per Second

The only thing I've scored close to 10/10 and that I've seen recently is In This Corner Of The World, which I scored 9.7/10.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-04, 08:46   Link #46
Dextro
He Without a Title

I'm an exceedingly harsh critic so I just went and checked my list and I only ever gave a single 10/10 actually and it was the Cowboy Bebop movie which is just brilliant. However, given the advantage of hindsight, I would probably not rate it that high nowadays. Still a 9.9/10 mind and there's a fair argument to be made that it's just my cynism that has increased along the years anyway.

Aside from that there are a few very very strong 9+/10 that I've watched over the years. Roughly in order from highest to lowest:
- Garden of Words
- Aria: the Origination
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Madoka Magica
- Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door
- Cowboy Bebop
- Steins;Gate
- 5cm per second
- K-On!!
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan
- A Silent Voice
- Shirobako
- Full Metal Alchemist/Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Fate/Zero

So, with all that said, if I had to name the last 9+/10 show I've seen it had to be A Silent Voice for sure. It's not perfect (the story is just slighly too big to confortably fit in the movie so there's a little bit of rushing early on) but it is an absolute masterpiece!

There are an insane amount of shows that I absolutely love but can't really put into my absolute top list because I can point to certain bits that I can objectively criticize. Shows like Clannad: After Story which really suffers during the first half, the new Hunter X Hunter which is absolutely brilliant if I didn't find the Chimera Ant arc to drag on for a bit too much or Aria: The Animation which isn't my top pick just because Origination is so insanely good.

Don't misunderstand, those are still 9.6/10 shows, they're just not 10/10 for someone as critical as me.
Old 2019-08-22, 18:30   Link #47
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Magic Kaito 1412 the MC Kaito was such a joy to watch I powered through 24 episodes very quickly. I'm just sad that the manga is put on Hiatus and Detective Conan was started instead. I'm guessing the mangaka is never going back to it. )= I don't remember the exact year I watched it I think 2017 or last year

I haven't had one since Legend of the Galactic Heroes back in I think 2015.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-24, 08:27   Link #48
armatus

Shin Sekai Yori

I think it's most underestimated anime title.
armatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-24, 09:07   Link #49
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by armatus View Post
Shin Sekai Yori

First half was fantastic! The second one on the other hand, while still good, didn't have the same brilliance.
Old 2019-11-25, 10:08   Link #50
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Shin Sekai Yori

I recall it was major when it aired though
Old 2019-11-25, 12:07   Link #51
armatus

i our place most people like naruto and one piece... so it's hard to find someone who knows good old titles, like Clannad, Kanon, Ef...
armatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 12:15   Link #52
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I recall it was major when it aired though
Shin Sekai Yori won the AS Choice Award for Best Series of 2013 in a landslide. It was obviously highly regarded by the membership here but not so much, I'm afraid, among mainstream viewers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 10:47   Link #53
Psyco Diver

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju was the last 10/10 anime for me. I watched it on a whim and I was rewarded with a great story, fleshed out three dimensional characters and visually appealing animation
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-25, 13:13   Link #54
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
I forgot to put Rose of Versailles in my list. Also gave it 10/10.
It's one of my top 15 anime, and many people don't watch it because it's old. Stupid people.
I didn't give it a 10 just to set the best anime apart from it, but on the feel that you put here, all 9/10 and above are actually tens.

On that feel, the ones I watched this year, One Punch Man 9.5/10 = ten (1st season 9/10, 2nd season 10/10) and Kimitsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer), only one season so far but it's a 9.5/10 so a 10. Fairy Tail finished like 2 months ago, dunno if it counts, but it's a 9/10 so also a ten.

PS: I only give 10/10 to my favorite 5 anime: Claymore, Little Princess Sara, Rurouni Kenshin, Captain Tsubasa and Bleach. All the rest are not quite as good so they must be 9.5/10 and below. Logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Any anime that can make me cry or feel very emotional is 10/10 material, though there haven't been much lately that can make me do that.
Really? I cried even at 8/10 anime which were very good. You give tens too easily. For me 9 and above must be anime that make you cry a lot but also give you shivers at times, like One Piece which is definitely a 9/10. I haven't watched it in like a year, I'm behind.

PS: What I'm reading here people in general give tens too easily.
Tens don't grow on trees, people! -.-

Quote:
Shin Sekai Yori

In anime history? Hmm, that's a bit strong. In my opinion it's Little Princess Sara, for me, the best drama ever made, artistic movies, serials and all taken into account. What's brilliant about this anime made after a book written more than a century ago is that nobody actually dies although you kinda expect it. It just feels so real. The realest drama I ever felt. Death feels unreal now and again. Like in Akame ga Kill, I mean, yeh, people die and it's sad but you don't love them even 1% as much as you do some of the characters from Little Princess Sara, and that makes all the difference in drama quality. Very good anime though Akame ga Kill, 8.5/10. For me that's better than Overlord, Gurren Lagann, Vinland Saga, Shingeki no Bahamut, Fate Stay Night/Zero, Kanata no Astra or other so many 8/10s that are delightful anime, still, some space off the best.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-25 at 14:00.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-26, 12:02   Link #55
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Doesn't everyone give the top 1% of his anime list the highest rating? It's less than 1% for me and I don't feel that I give the rating too easily, despite having >100 anime I gave that rating.

Well, opinions differ after all. You're praising that Sara anime, but I took a quick look over some screenshots and decided I don't even want to see this, ever. I dislike dramas and them being historical makes it that much worse. Instead, I'm getting excited over isekai anime. Especially the ones where the protagonist is more powerful than everyone else and it stays that way. Bonus points if the protagonist is ruthless.
Old 2020-03-26, 17:40   Link #56
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
Well, opinions differ after all. You're praising that Sara anime, but I took a quick look over some screenshots and decided I don't even want to see this, ever. I dislike dramas and them being historical makes it that much worse.
You're not special. Many have the exact same opinion.
I don't care much about graphic if the other stuff is great. Otherwise I would never listen to radio, or to people speak without being seen, or to read a book that has no pictures in it. It's about the sum of everything, and the sum in Sara is great. For me it was great when I 1st saw it, at the age of 12-14, and the last 2-3 times, in the last 5-6 years. It's the same reason I liked Humanoid Kikaider a lot when it was aired even though it has awful graphics: good drama. For me it's an 8.5/10 anime in a list of only 20 or so shows that are above 8. Tragedy for me was always the most powerful incentive, me young and old(er) alike. I may be special, but I also know there are more like me that enjoy this type of emotion, even though we are indeed fewer than the ones that only enjoy almost exclusively powerful anime characters. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them anime(s) centered around them too, they're just lesser in my heart then the tragedy ones.

Just as fun fact as how different we can see some things, we can't even agree on what is a true drama. Some say Clannad, I've seen it, I haven't cried even once, to me it seemed an average anime with very little drama, a 7/10. For others is very dramatic for reasons probably beyond my understanding. But what we must do is accept and assert each others opinions. In this relies the true revering of a forum life. And that's what I like, understanding how people think and feel about the same stuff. It's a very interesting journey, they don't have to agree to be fun, just to be honest. Like you and me now.

Quote:
I don't feel that I give the rating too easily, despite having >100 anime I gave that rating.
If that's true, I have to put them on my to see list.
We differ here too, I try not to snoop around at the merchandise, I don't even watch movie trailers anymore as I don't want to remember anything that may spoil it. I select based only on words about it. Forum words, IMDB words, etc.

I do appreciate you checking Sara out though, most refute it straight from the title.
Others that start watching it quit after less than an episode. It's true that the beginning is boring. Ep1 5/10, ep2 6/10, ep3-5 7/10, ep6-10 9/10, ep11-42 11/10, ep43-46 10/10.

PS: I keep raveling at people who have lists of hundreds of anime. I can say I've barely seen 50 or 60 in all. It takes time to watch an anime... it's impressive people have so long lists. Really! I would never have the audacity to claim that I'm better then them in judging anime as I've seen much less. But I enjoy the discussions. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-26 at 18:15.
Old 2020-03-27, 04:52   Link #57
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

I agree with you there, it's interesting to get other opinions. Talking to people who like the same stuff as me is rather boring, after all. It's nice to enjoy the same things, but then there's no point talking about it.

I personally found Clannad to be awful, but I acknowledge it as a drama anime. I think that's what it's going for, even if it does nothing for me. If you, or anyone else, is interested in my 10/10 anime list:

Spoiler for sorted by release date:

Long lists ain't that impressive. After all, you can just drop anime you don't like. My list exceeds 10.000 entries, but I've only finished a little bit over 1.000.
Old 2020-03-27, 14:48   Link #58
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Watching the final episode of https://myanimelist.net/anime/39575/...ri_no_Kamisama later today. It's on the edge of a ten score from me. Beautifully illustrated with a moving story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dy View Post
I keep raveling at people who have lists of hundreds of anime. I can say I've barely seen 50 or 60 in all.
I've built up my list over the past dozen years. I'm at around 300 shows total, but that's far fewer than many lists I've seen at MAL. I drop a lot of shows after an initial few episodes; I watch perhaps as many as half-a-dozen shows to completion per season.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 15:02   Link #59
Johnny Dy

Quote:
I personally found Clannad to be awful
Watching Clannad and not watching Little Princess Sara is just plain ridicules.
It's like saying Terminator 1 is a good movie but I'm a stop there.

I mean... just the intro/theme song itself of T2 is better than T1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XblVVbqIHU
I just love me a movie that has brilliant music, like real original stuff.
Like the intro from Game of Thrones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZE9gVF1QbA after you hear that shit, you know smth good is coming your way. It would be weird to invest so much genius into the music, but the content to be average.

Quote:
Long lists ain't that impressive. After all, you can just drop anime you don't like. My list exceeds 10.000 entries, but I've only finished a little bit over 1.000.
I think one has to check at least 10 episodes of something before having the right to put it into his anime list. Otherwise it's more like checking it out, not really seeing it. So.. not on seen list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've built up my list over the past dozen years. I'm at around 300 shows total, but that's far fewer than many lists I've seen at MAL. I drop a lot of shows after an initial few episodes; I watch perhaps as many as half-a-dozen shows to completion per season.
I mean, I've seen 17 episodes out of Gintama and I can't put it on my list yet because it's like 17 fillers... I'm yet to get to the good stuff, but I was so bored so I dropped it like 17 months ago. (but not definitively!) I never can understand why anime companies insert that many non-value stuff in the beginning of some anime instead of keeping that shit short and get to the good stuff so more people would become addicted to it instead of dropping it. And I am not one to quit easily.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-27 at 15:16.
Old 2020-03-27, 16:23   Link #60
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Clannad at least has a bunch of cute girls and it's not like you can't put anime as "aborted" on your list. I usually check out every episode, though, even for anime I drop. The way I drop is to fast forward until it gets good and if it never gets good I finish the last episode in fast forward and mark the entry as dropped.