AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-02, 03:45   Link #201
PathofNightshade
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Send a message via AIM to PathofNightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikichi
Theres no doubt that they do a superb job at encoding, but doesn't the lapses in translation worry you? I just rewatched ep81 after finishing d/ling anbu-aone's release and the storyline took on almost a whole differnet meaning. :P
not really, how so?
PathofNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 04:45   Link #202
Eikichi
Mad Dog Sawamura

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNightshade
not really, how so?
The whole Orochimaru/Kabuto sequence and the mention of the "organization".
Eikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 19:28   Link #203
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikichi
The whole Orochimaru/Kabuto sequence and the mention of the "organization".
Let him do what he wants he is the one who will get the wrong info.
Old 2004-05-02, 21:29   Link #204
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Of course, all of us CAN wait for Naruto to be subbed a couple more days, it just appears to me that anyone that appears to lose sleep to sub a anime for a bunch of Naruto crack addict freaks and does it accurately may actually care about his work and in part, us. (those that d/l it )

I don't know how to translate, I don't pay for subs, but I still expect to hear every word translated correctly. Mistakes are forgivable, and I don't care about any soap opera they may have with each other, but I still expect an accurate sub release. I was under the assumption that we were all Naruto fans here on this series discussion thread and although a mistake may occur from time to time I'd like something a little bit better than.

No one holds a gun to your heads and forces you do d/l this or that's version!
Don't like it, don't d/l it. *this statement is obviously true, but it doesn't acknowledge any problem, if a problem isn't acknowledged, it can't be fixed, thus it is repeated over and over again*

I was looking more for: Opps, our normal translator was detained, our back up is new, sorry for the mishap, we just wanted to get it out quick, but we will do better next time.

Exactly who has the "ego" problem???
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 21:34   Link #205
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
No one holds a gun to your heads and forces you do d/l this or that's version!
Don't like it, don't d/l it. *this statement is obviously true, but it doesn't acknowledge any problem, if a problem isn't acknowledged, it can't be fixed, thus it is repeated over and over again*
That's true too. Cuz if you download a sub video that you didn't like on purpose, you'd just be wasting your time (not to mention bandwidth and disk space).
Old 2004-05-03, 19:56   Link #206
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
Excuse me bringing up this thread again, but I've had comments aimed towards me and Eddie as well as all the other crew, and now that I'm back I just simply can't skip out on posting...

Of course we're sorry for translating stuff wrong, we want to be perfect after all. I'm not exactly sure what Eddie's level is in japanese, but I do know mine and I have never ever said I'm fluent in the language. If I'd put this in my own pessimistic words; I know some grammar and a whole lot of completely random words, wordgames etc that would in no way make me able to live in japan on this knowledge alone. However, there are things such as dictionaries and the net, and with some japanese knowledge along with multiple of these objects, one is able to figure out many things.

About how the Naruto eps are translated nowadays, Eddie does them. I also think he does a great job considering how fast he translates. I then go over his script a quickie and checks if there are any mistakes I notice off the bat and/or dialogue he lost by mistake, which I then of course do my best to translate. I don't know how the quality in translations changed when we changed major translator for Naruto since I can't tell 100% of the japanese as I watch the thing without taking it apart and looking up tons of stuff that takes time, but it should be pretty accurate still. If our translations aren't liked, then don't watch our releases. I'm sorry, but we do our best here and I don't really see why we're expected to apologize when we work our arses off for something we like - and that's various anime including Naruto. We're not forcing anyone to download our releases, but if anyone feels like watching them then be my guest. Feedback is not frowned upon, it is actually greatly appreciated - but there is a big line of difference between feedback and flames.

At this point in the post, I can't really think of anything more to type... I've had way enough drama for the day before I came here, and I guess I'm happy I've forgot more than half of what Bakasan said a few pages back... I never thought fellow fansubbers would throw such words at each other, guess I was wrong - and that's pretty much all I remember at the moment.

Again, we do this because we enjoy the feeling of giving the Naruto community a choice, and we're not trying to pull anyone out of their "jobs" (not that any of us for any group gets paid or anything..) but we spend our freetime on this so we can do our best to "share the wealth". If you don't like our subs, well... there's not much we can do about it more than try harder, but let me just tell you all that if you want quality releases then the best way to go isn't to flame the groups you're watching - it's just a major discouragement that makes us all go "why do we even bother?" and neither side needs any of that. I've currently started a new project (that has nothing to do with fansubbing btw) which will hopefully teach me tons more of this beautiful language, and I hope at least some of you will be there when my project is finished and my work will reach a higher quality.

Quite a rant I put up, thanks for reading I guess... gosh I'm shaking now... *presses Submit Reply and drinks yoghurt*
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 22:31   Link #207
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd
Excuse me bringing up this thread again, but I've had comments aimed towards me and Eddie as well as all the other crew, and now that I'm back I just simply can't skip out on posting...

Of course we're sorry for translating stuff wrong, we want to be perfect after all. I'm not exactly sure what Eddie's level is in japanese, but I do know mine and I have never ever said I'm fluent in the language. If I'd put this in my own pessimistic words; I know some grammar and a whole lot of completely random words, wordgames etc that would in no way make me able to live in japan on this knowledge alone. However, there are things such as dictionaries and the net, and with some japanese knowledge along with multiple of these objects, one is able to figure out many things.

About how the Naruto eps are translated nowadays, Eddie does them. I also think he does a great job considering how fast he translates. I then go over his script a quickie and checks if there are any mistakes I notice off the bat and/or dialogue he lost by mistake, which I then of course do my best to translate. I don't know how the quality in translations changed when we changed major translator for Naruto since I can't tell 100% of the japanese as I watch the thing without taking it apart and looking up tons of stuff that takes time, but it should be pretty accurate still. If our translations aren't liked, then don't watch our releases. I'm sorry, but we do our best here and I don't really see why we're expected to apologize when we work our arses off for something we like - and that's various anime including Naruto. We're not forcing anyone to download our releases, but if anyone feels like watching them then be my guest. Feedback is not frowned upon, it is actually greatly appreciated - but there is a big line of difference between feedback and flames.

At this point in the post, I can't really think of anything more to type... I've had way enough drama for the day before I came here, and I guess I'm happy I've forgot more than half of what Bakasan said a few pages back... I never thought fellow fansubbers would throw such words at each other, guess I was wrong - and that's pretty much all I remember at the moment.

Again, we do this because we enjoy the feeling of giving the Naruto community a choice, and we're not trying to pull anyone out of their "jobs" (not that any of us for any group gets paid or anything..) but we spend our freetime on this so we can do our best to "share the wealth". If you don't like our subs, well... there's not much we can do about it more than try harder, but let me just tell you all that if you want quality releases then the best way to go isn't to flame the groups you're watching - it's just a major discouragement that makes us all go "why do we even bother?" and neither side needs any of that. I've currently started a new project (that has nothing to do with fansubbing btw) which will hopefully teach me tons more of this beautiful language, and I hope at least some of you will be there when my project is finished and my work will reach a higher quality.

Quite a rant I put up, thanks for reading I guess... gosh I'm shaking now... *presses Submit Reply and drinks yoghurt*
Can't you guyz just edit this episode? So everything would be fine then?
Old 2004-05-03, 23:17   Link #208
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I dunno if BakaSan posted what he did seriously or half jokingly, but I definitely feel that it was rude to take this argument into a public forum before going through private channels. You don't see people from anbu or AonE coming in here to diss BakaSan about his work now, do you?

Also, to Shin-Otaku: if you've realized a fairly major error in a release, it's best to take down the torrent, fix the episode, and release a version 2. Even if it means less people will download that episode. Trust me, it'll make a good impression on your supporters (and even detractors).
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 10:32   Link #209
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
Yes there is always that possibility, and fixing mistakes is something we've done before too.
Old 2004-05-05, 00:54   Link #210
Dark Shogun
Shin Otaku Timer

Send a message via AIM to Dark Shogun
Well the next episode will be much better because we are going to try a new system of how we do things. As far as 81 goes we have recieved a lot of feedback regarding it and hopefully mostly everyone will like the changes we make.

Dark Shogun
Dark Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 02:43   Link #211
PathofNightshade
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Send a message via AIM to PathofNightshade
I must say, a lot of you S-0 people are members of this forum which makes it very easy for us to learn more about what you do and to get info about our episodes straight from the source. Maybe each group should have a thread in the Fansub section where people can voice what they think about the current or past releases, so the subbers can get good ideas, asked about translations and feedback from the naruto community. Just a thought.
PathofNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 20:22   Link #212
Saiyr

There are some serious flaws with this thread, and I think one of them is me taking the time to read ten pages, a lot of it being just crap. I noted the G rated language here, so I hope crap is an acceptable word. Anyways, to Bakasan: you stated your goal wasn't as much quality as speed. For that, I must say, I applaud your sub's relative quality; however, I don't look at relative quality, I like absolute quality (yeah, I'm a math freak). It's funny because you banned me from your website awhile ago (I don't really know why, but I don't care, because I can get around it in funny ways), which made me take a look at Shin-Otaku. Usually I get lazy. I download a quick sub, watch it, get ANBU-AonE...never watch it. I archive them, and delete the quick subs. So for that, you get credit.

Now, to the group that call themselves Shin-Otaku, you definitely need to clear something up for me, so I can laugh hysterically at you, or just laugh. By no means does this mean I "hate" you, but some of you will probably get overly defensive, and then I'll laugh. I believe one of you stated that S-O was about quality. Following that post, someone (possibly the same person?) stated that S-O was about speed. Make up your minds. If you're about quality, I must say, you don't compete in anyway. Since I don't think you are, you must be about speed. I've never been a huge fan of any sort of typo in any fansub. They always happen, obviously. Bakasan has more than A&A. You guys are typo hell. I note that most of you have been typing with excellent skills in this thread, and I don't see why you can't do that with your subs.

Yes--S-O and Bakasan both have their "hardcore fans." No, I don't care what any of them think. One of you said something along the lines of, "believe it or not, Shin-Otaku is appreciated by some people." You know, that's great. It's great that you guys and Bakasan do work like this for the Naruto community. You also need to realize that the Naruto community is comprised of people with quite a variable of intellectual level. I'm not going to explain more, because I don't want this to turn into a flame, I'd rather this be taken as a critique--a blunt critique.

I have a pretty open attitude, and I'm definitely flexible about who's sub I watch. Until my friends tell me that S-O gets better quality or Bakasan resumes, I'm sticking with ANBU-AonE.
Saiyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 23:36   Link #213
Dark Shogun
Shin Otaku Timer

Send a message via AIM to Dark Shogun
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNightshade
I must say, a lot of you S-0 people are members of this forum which makes it very easy for us to learn more about what you do and to get info about our episodes straight from the source. Maybe each group should have a thread in the Fansub section where people can voice what they think about the current or past releases, so the subbers can get good ideas, asked about translations and feedback from the naruto community. Just a thought.
I wouldn't mind the idea of a thread per group at all. I would like it if there was someway that each group can mod their thread though so you can delete the spam posts like "you sux" or something like that.

@Saiyr - We focus on both quality and speed. As khar said we focus on quality without sacrificing speed. Anyway 81 was the only episode we heard anything negative about our translation. As was stated we had a new translator for 81. Just so you know you can laugh all you want. This will be my last post regarding Shin Otaku in relation to this thread. If anyone has has an helpful feedback then you can bring it up in our chatroom on irc.rizon.net #shin-otaku.

Dark Shogun
Dark Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 01:37   Link #214
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khar
The last I spoke to Kidd (like I said, she's away now, gone for the weekend), she informed me that she did not hear the word organization anywhere in that part of the episode.
7:50 into the episode, Orochimaru says

"Dakara... ano soshiki (note: soshiki is Japanese for a system or organization) wo nuke tano yo."

Now, with my remedial Japanese, I would say that phrase means "Therefore... I wanted to pull out of that organization, you know."

Dakara = Therefore/because/that's why
ano = that
soshiki = organization
wo = at/in
nuke = remove/pull out/leave
tano = request (I'm not too sure about this... it's not like I'm totally fluent in Japanese)
yo = Literally, put at the end of sentences when you are telling someone something that you are sure they did not know.

Now, I'm not saying that this is all 100% foolproof. In fact, the only point was to say that the word "organization" WAS used in that scene, due to the fact that he DOES say "soshiki". I'm just trying to translate this myself here =X
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 02:21   Link #215
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukki
7:50 into the episode, Orochimaru says

"Dakara... ano soshiki (note: soshiki is Japanese for a system or organization) wo nuke tano yo."

Now, with my remedial Japanese, I would say that phrase means "Therefore... I wanted to pull out of that organization, you know."

Dakara = Therefore/because/that's why
ano = that
soshiki = organization
wo = at/in
nuke = remove/pull out/leave
tano = request (I'm not too sure about this... it's not like I'm totally fluent in Japanese)
yo = Literally, put at the end of sentences when you are telling someone something that you are sure they did not know.

Now, I'm not saying that this is all 100% foolproof. In fact, the only point was to say that the word "organization" WAS used in that scene, due to the fact that he DOES say "soshiki". I'm just trying to translate this myself here =X
actually "tanomu" is to request, but in this case tano is actually part of nuke.

nuketa is the plain past tense of nukeru (to leave). so he's basically saying "that's why i left that organization (soshiki)." i'm thinking "no yo" is for emphasis, but i'm not entirely clear on that.

i forgot which organization orochimaru was referring to, though. haven't been paying attention to naruto recently -_-;;
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 03:22   Link #216
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
actually "tanomu" is to request, but in this case tano is actually part of nuke.

nuketa is the plain past tense of nukeru (to leave). so he's basically saying "that's why i left that organization (soshiki)." i'm thinking "no yo" is for emphasis, but i'm not entirely clear on that.

i forgot which organization orochimaru was referring to, though. haven't been paying attention to naruto recently -_-;;
Ah, thank you. I wasn't sure about the nuke or the tano, so I had to go off on a limb there, heh heh :1

BTW, the organization is Akatsuki.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 08:35   Link #217
Kidd
SD Translator

Yeah I've rewatched the scene and noticed the error already. I didn't hear anything wrong when I checked the translation before, heh.

btw, "yo" is a way to put emphasis I guess. It works kinda like a "!" in a way, only it's said.. err, I'm not making any sense, this is why I'm no teacher because I suck at teaching what I know :P
Old 2004-05-06, 10:38   Link #218
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane
Bashing newbies into the scene, you should know better, you broke a unwritten fansub scene rule by starting a series somewhere in the middle to steal some of the spotlight from the big groups and now youre attacking groups that do the same thing to you.

Stealing the spotlight from the big groups? BakaSan has himself recomended that people download ANBU-AonE's release. He's stated that he subs for speed in order to give the fans their "quick fix". How is that trying to steal the spotlight?

As for me, I don't even watch naruto anymore, but I just love BakaSan His "I don't give a shit" attitude makes me laugh my ass off in front of all the people trying to bash him :P
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 12:05   Link #219
Narutto Kyuubi

Exclamation

Ummm, Hey S-O people..... it's been a while any news on when your Fun sub is coming out?

-or-

Does Bakasan need to release a script first....

I'm not saying you guys where stealing anything but if I don't see your release out soon and a fair amount of time before anbu's comes out. I am going to be very suspisious of who's translation I am actually watching.
Narutto Kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 13:37   Link #220
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

how long do we have to wait?

Guess S O is double, triple checking this time right?

*looks at clock, fine, I'll just go watch some One Piece then*
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote