AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-27, 10:01   Link #21
Re-l

I think before I skip FMP 2nd season I could try out a couple episodes and see if I like it, if not I will skip it. Perfect blue seems good so I think I am going to watch that too and as for Death Note, I have watched that show half way through from TV but I stopped for some odd reason, now I am going to try and watch the rest, maybe start from scratch.
Old 2009-07-27, 12:41   Link #22
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i dont see Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in your list....
Old 2009-07-27, 15:58   Link #23
Re-l

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
i dont see Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in your list....
Oh yeah someone recommended that on another website. Added that one too.
Old 2009-07-28, 23:26   Link #24
Re-l

I have finished watching a few series now and have editted the list.
Old 2009-07-28, 23:56   Link #25
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaut View Post
I think before I skip FMP 2nd season I could try out a couple episodes and see if I like it, if not I will skip it. Perfect blue seems good so I think I am going to watch that too and as for Death Note, I have watched that show half way through from TV but I stopped for some odd reason, now I am going to try and watch the rest, maybe start from scratch.
For FMA: Brotherhood, you should watch up to at least episode 17.

That's were the difference in story line becomes really apparent- and it's also when you're just in shock at how different it is.

For Full Metal Panic the season are:

First: -Drama/Comedy
Second: "Fumuffu!" -Comedy
Third: "The Second Raid" -Drama

The Fumuffu! season is not necessary for any plot purposes. The first episode though (on DVD, it was skipped for broadcasting because of the subject matter) is really... dark comedy. I mean... You have kidnapping and Sousoke is extremely... um... scary.

Last edited by Sackett; 2009-08-01 at 13:19. Reason: Oops thought FMP was FMA....
Old 2009-07-29, 22:27   Link #26
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
some that i think you might like are.
Devil May Cry
Innocent Venus
Speed Grapher
Shigurei
D-Grey Man
Trinity Blood
Samurai Gun

by the way you should definately watch the entire Full Metal Panic Series but if you just want to stick with the main serious story line i would skip Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu which is a sort light hearted comedy series with a bit of action.
Old 2009-07-31, 17:26   Link #27
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well you might try Shigofumi - Letters from the departed, it's about a "mail deliverer". To be exact that "mail deliverer" delivers out Shigofumi, letters people wrote after their deaths for the person they left in the living world.
The anime has 13 episodes (and one OVA) and is rather dark, IMO. Also there is some decent romance in there (not the main them, though). Of there is the supernatural element and actually a lot of phsychological. There is a lot character devolpment in just those 13 episodesI think you should just try the first episode out to see if this is your kind of thing. Heres the ANN link
Old 2009-08-02, 12:36   Link #28
velvet nightmare

i'd suggest soul eater but there really isn't romance in it, your list is pretty exhaustive for having 3-4 genres
Old 2009-08-02, 13:19   Link #29
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
also Gilgamesh is one of my favorites.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:06   Link #30
AnarchicQ

Send a message via AIM to AnarchicQ Send a message via MSN to AnarchicQ
Boogiepop Phantom. It's a mind screw with an unique atmosphere. It's old but still beautiful.
Old 2009-08-06, 06:01   Link #31
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

I second the two earlier suggestions Noein and Witch Hunter Robin which seem to fit your preferences although they are light on the romance part. I would like to add Casshern Sins to the list. Another show light on romance but it offers dark, psychological and in a certain way also supernatural. And wow, the artwork is awesome if you are not turned off from the beginning by reminiscences to the style of older series (the show was done by Madhouse).

If you do not mind the lack of romance and can overlook a wobbly direction and some plot holes, maybe Night Head Genesis might be worth a try too. The two protagonists do have awesome seiyuus (Toshiyuki Morikawa and Akira Ishida) - so that is a plus.

And there is Kemonozume which also fits your description. But be warned - this is no series for the young'uns.

If a bit of sword action is also ok, maybe Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto might be an option too. It takes place in the last days of the Shogunate and is not really a dark and moody series, but entertaining none the less.

Aaah and the last suggestion. But - the romance here is male-male, nothing too graphic in the anime, rather a plot device to drive the story somewhat. So if you can digest that, the rest should meet your criteria.
Honoo No Mirage (Mirage of Blaze) - TV series and one OVA if I remember right. Features the awesome seiyuus Toshihiko Seki and Sho Hayami - who currently is the most outstanding trait of Aizen Sousuke in Bleach...
Old 2009-08-06, 18:32   Link #32
villainy vs heroism
The rest is history.

I've got to put a word in for Baccano. Set in prohibition-era New York, it's got fantastic action (some of which made me cringe), great characters, just the right amount of romance, and manages to tie in plenty of supernatural intrigue without seeming too ridiculous.
Old 2011-03-26, 00:49   Link #33
Re-l

re-activating this thread. After finally finishing my long list of anime (which took along time), I am looking for more!
Old 2011-03-27, 14:37   Link #34
Re-l

Edited list.
Old 2011-03-27, 15:58   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about murders that are taking place through supernatural means. The protagonist is Ryougi Shiki, a girl that has been raised in a family of demon hunters and has the ability to see the death of everything through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. She also has an almost insatable urge to kill.

I also recommend you follow Madoka Magica. Don't let the appearances fool you. It seems cute but it actually gets pretty dark as you go along.
Old 2011-03-28, 21:47   Link #36
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Seconding Madoka Magica.

I also noticed that Neon Genesis Evangelion is notably absent from your list.

Katanagatari would also be a good pick.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood would be a good one to watch.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-03-29, 15:31   Link #37
Re-l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Seconding Madoka Magica.

I also noticed that Neon Genesis Evangelion is notably absent from your list.

Katanagatari would also be a good pick.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood would be a good one to watch.
I have already watched Full Metal Alchemist, just forgot to add it. Haha. And the others I will add to my check out list. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about murders that are taking place through supernatural means. The protagonist is Ryougi Shiki, a girl that has been raised in a family of demon hunters and has the ability to see the death of everything through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. She also has an almost insatable urge to kill.

I also recommend you follow Madoka Magica. Don't let the appearances fool you. It seems cute but it actually gets pretty dark as you go along.
Kara no Kyoukai caught my interest, so adding that one! And also Madoka Magica I will check out.
Old 2011-04-06, 20:15   Link #38
Re-l

Added more to list. <3
Old 2011-04-06, 22:21   Link #39
NoLongerSane

You could try The SoulTaker. The animation varies from episode to episode but the story is action oriented and deals with some of the supernatural. I second Witch Hunter Robin. You could also try Betterman. That too deals in the supernatural and psychological.
Old 2011-04-06, 22:29   Link #40
Re-l

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
You could try The SoulTaker. The animation varies from episode to episode but the story is action oriented and deals with some of the supernatural. I second Witch Hunter Robin. You could also try Betterman. That too deals in the supernatural and psychological.
I've seen Witch Hunter Robin and The SoulTaker before. Haha. Just hadn't added them to the list yet.

As for Betterman, I think I'll check that one out. (:

Tags
psychological, supernatural