AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-12, 13:54   Link #361
Usami Haru
Mr. Broshido
*Graphic Designer

Natori is such a pimp. First he has not one, but two female spirits at his service. And when he tries to exorcise the other one, she goes with him! Akira Ishida always gets the ladies.

Apart from that, just watched the first 9 episodes and I have to say it, I love Madara/Nyanko-sensei, best cat ever! Also it's nice to see Kamiya Hiroshi after Zetsubou Sensei and the trap Gundam 00 in a totally different role.
Usami Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 14:53   Link #362
LKK

I just blitzed through the first 9 episodes these last 2 days. What strikes me most about the series is the way it evokes those mythic memories of lazy summer days when life was tinted with streaks of melancholy but predominantly colored with rays of hope. Even though there were moments where tears were threatening (the lake swallow girl, the little fox cub, and the firefly spirit episodes choked me up), the tone of the series as a whole has been uplifting and full of hopeful promise. In episode 9, when Natsume said he would be sad if he lost the ability to see spirits, what a change that was for him from the beginning of the series. The animation style -- with its slightly washed out color palette and simplistic character renditions -- reinforces the feelings that we're looking at things through the mists of fond memory. I'm smitten.

Edit: Has anyone read the manga? How does it compare to the anime? Does it have a similar atmosphere and tone?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2008-09-12 at 14:58. Reason: added questions about the manga
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 16:09   Link #363
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Does it have a similar atmosphere and tone?
Pretty much yes. It's the same as how the Mushishi anime and manga compare --- they're basically the same.
Old 2008-09-12, 16:38   Link #364
Tiberium Wolf

Ep 10:
Oh no! Why no Koto playing? I feel like I was cheated!
Old 2008-09-12, 17:58   Link #365
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Pretty much yes. It's the same as how the Mushishi anime and manga compare --- they're basically the same.
Great! Thank you. I'll be checking out the manga then.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 17:59   Link #366
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Was also a bit disappointed about not hearing the Koto. Was messing around with my audio seeing if my speakers broke down or something . Though I could get the meaning why we didn't get to hear it. Since the song really wasn't for the audience or anyone like that. Just for Bullseye . Though still would have liked to hear it since playing up the musical instrument kind of gives expectation of hearing it.

Natsume really has to be careful about getting possessed. Sensei fully fails as a bodyguard in this one. Gets attacked at the start by Bullseye without any help though he did handle it. Then gets attacked by a youkai and Bullseye has to come in for the rescue. Then Natsume jumps after the Koto and still no help. It all worked out in the end but just a thought I had through the episode.

A very interesting day with an uncomfortable feeling left with the male friends of Natsume . Just too much fun with that.
Old 2008-09-12, 18:02   Link #367
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I just blitzed through the first 9 episodes these last 2 days. What strikes me most about the series is the way it evokes those mythic memories of lazy summer days when life was tinted with streaks of melancholy but predominantly colored with rays of hope. Even though there were moments where tears were threatening (the lake swallow girl, the little fox cub, and the firefly spirit episodes choked me up), the tone of the series as a whole has been uplifting and full of hopeful promise. In episode 9, when Natsume said he would be sad if he lost the ability to see spirits, what a change that was for him from the beginning of the series. The animation style -- with its slightly washed out color palette and simplistic character renditions -- reinforces the feelings that we're looking at things through the mists of fond memory. I'm smitten.

Edit: Has anyone read the manga? How does it compare to the anime? Does it have a similar atmosphere and tone?
Told you, youd like it

So far the firefly epi has been my fav, gawd I cried

I know Shiro answered your manga ques but I agree, it has the same tone, a bit more is added (just little stuff) but same calm, soothing feel to it (sadly of course we cant hear Nyanko-sensei in it ).

Edit: Question and this might just be cuz Im not familar with Japanese lore and whatnot but is there a reason why alot of the youkai seem to wear masks or atleast cover their faces? Espc the female ones?
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2008-09-12 at 18:14. Reason: added question
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 19:13   Link #368
FireChick

I saw episode 10 and...I KNEW IT!! I KNEW Noto Mamiko was Asagi's voice! I sooooooo knew it!!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 19:48   Link #369
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Question and this might just be cuz Im not familar with Japanese lore and whatnot but is there a reason why alot of the youkai seem to wear masks or atleast cover their faces? Espc the female ones?
I've wondered about that, too. Earlier in the thread it was suggested that Tsubame's mask in ep. 6 was there to cover "demon eyes," but we eventually see Hotaru's face in ep. 8, and her eyes look normal. Like Manju I think there's some deeper cultural symbolism that I'm missing here.

I, too, was sad not to hear the koto, but I understood it from a dramatic perspective. And what was that with Nyanko-sensei's look the morning Natsume woke up possessed? That had to be one of Nyanko's most hilarious expressions yet.

I assume only Natsume can see Nyanko-sensei. So what do his aunt and uncle think when he comes down for breakfast carrying an invisible cat? He must look like he's hugging himself.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 19:57   Link #370
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I assume only Natsume can see Nyanko-sensei. So what do his aunt and uncle think when he comes down for breakfast carrying an invisible cat? He must look like he's hugging himself.
It seems like Natsume is not the only one that can see sensei, because back in episode four one of Natsume's classmates commented oh how they thought they heard sensei speak. I'm sure there have been a few more cases in this series so far where people have seen him.

I'm not 100% sure why they can see sensei, so i hope it'll at least be explained at some point.

Also i'd love for a full explanation on the masks the human-formed youkai wear.
Old 2008-09-12, 20:17   Link #371
Kirarakim

I thought everyone could see Sensei in his cat form just not in his demon form. Because in episode 9 didn't Natsume get thrown out of the restaurant for bringing a pet inside?
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 20:24   Link #372
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Now that you mentioned it, that scene didn't make any sense to me either.

Nyanko-sensei looks like a "prosperity cat." He certainly doesn't look like any normal cat I've ever seen. That's why I thought only Natsume could he see him, since otherwise they'd be getting lots of extremely puzzled expressions from passers-by. If Nyanko was going to blend in, wouldn't he have chosen to look more like a normal kitty? Perhaps he can project some magic field so that people other than Natsume don't recognize how unreal he looks?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 20:35   Link #373
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@ SeijiSensei ~ Nyanko sensei is a strong enough "youkai" to have a physical form which everyone can see. But it is interesting if you note his unique appearence though despite how exaggerated he looks to the viewers, in the anime they could just see him as an unusually fat, tabby cat.

As for the masks I am guessing it may have something to do with how each of the youkais all have some kind of "attachment" to the physical land but to those who still have "good" in their hearts. Evil youkai just tend to manifest into all sorts of appearences but it seems like the "good ones" are easier at keeping a human form.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 20:49   Link #374
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 10

I'm going to disagree with most so far, since I thought the absence of music during the koto playing scene was a good thing. In a subdued work like this, the absence of music can be a lot more powerful than any piece of music, and they used sound effects like a river streaming by to set a gentle, yet hollow ambiance which I thought was perfect for that scene. It was unexpected as well. The easy thing for them to do would have been to put a piece of music in, but by doing something different and unexpected, they made it more powerful. Natsume described it as "a beautiful sound that I had never heard before" so you could even make the argument that trying to make that sound could have cheapened it. I genuinely think they did the right thing in this scene.

A lot of Natsume's classmates have suddenly become sexually confused. Another great piece of storytelling, but I couldn't help but wonder where Nyanko disappeared to when Natsume was in trouble. He didn't exactly answer when Natsume asked him.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 04:29   Link #375
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Mixed on the whole lack of koto music thing in this episode. While I can definitely get on board the explanation that the music was meant for Bullseye's ears only (and a very good symbolic way to hammer that message home!), there were probably better ways to give the audience a feeling that the piece is just heavenly. I have no issue with them taking a koto-less approach because oftentimes, leaving it up to the audience's imagination can be more powerful than actually putting it in. While, I don't think it was done particularly well here, I do concede to it being rather difficult to pull off. Using the background noise from the stream felt like a page out of John Cage's 3'11'' which is... not the impression that I should be getting.

That issue aside, this episode's been consistent. The bit of hilarity in the first half kept me amused and the background story was on par with prior episodes, so can't say I'm disappointed in the storytelling department.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 05:20   Link #376
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I'm going to disagree with most so far, since I thought the absence of music during the koto playing scene was a good thing. In a subdued work like this, the absence of music can be a lot more powerful than any piece of music, and they used sound effects like a river streaming by to set a gentle, yet hollow ambiance which I thought was perfect for that scene. It was unexpected as well. The easy thing for them to do would have been to put a piece of music in, but by doing something different and unexpected, they made it more powerful. Natsume described it as "a beautiful sound that I had never heard before" so you could even make the argument that trying to make that sound could have cheapened it. I genuinely think they did the right thing in this scene.
Like i already said, i was just expecting to hear the koto play --- that's the only reason why i was a little bit upset for that scene, though even still i do believe what they choose to happen for that scene had more of an impact, like you just mentioned.
Old 2008-09-13, 06:29   Link #377
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Natsume described it as "a beautiful sound that I had never heard before" so you could even make the argument that trying to make that sound could have cheapened it. I genuinely think they did the right thing in this scene.
I think that was definitely the effect they were trying to achieve. By not playing a piece during that scene it leaves it up to the imagination of the viewers and what you think could have been the best sound, as people have different tastes I thought it was a good choice that they decided to leave it for viewers to think about.
Quote:
A lot of Natsume's classmates have suddenly become sexually confused. Another great piece of storytelling, but I couldn't help but wonder where Nyanko disappeared to when Natsume was in trouble. He didn't exactly answer when Natsume asked him.
In a way, Nyanko is more of a "tough love" character than someone who will immediately lend a hand. He was probably close by during the attack and assessed on whether his help was needed during such a situation which wasn't needed because bullseye was there. But I am willing to think that he did help soften Natsume fall down that cliff

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 12:29   Link #378
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So I'm not the only one that was a bit "shocked" by the Koto scene. They talked so much about Asagi's playing that I obviously couldn't wait to hear it, so not hearing anything surprised me at first. Well, in the end, I think it wasn't a bad idea to do this scene like this, for the reasons explained above.

I'm looking forward to the next episode more than usual, looks like we'll finally learn more about Nyanko-sensei ! I hope we'll see Reiko again too, it's been a while.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 20:53   Link #379
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Oh my Gosh.

I just got the ED.

I'm overflowing with joy. About to listen to this full ED for the first time. Will post thoughts on it later.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 11:49   Link #380
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Anyone know if there is, or will be, a Nyanko-sensei plush?

I want one rather badly.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brains-base, fantasy, supernatural, yokai