AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 59 Rating
Perfect 10 27 52.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 27.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 9.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 9.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-30, 09:58   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 59 Discussion/Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Episode 59.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-05-30, 10:10   Link #2
Haladflire65
*Artist

Yay! Thread is up!!

They edited the scenes with Mei, the chimeras and the mini-Bradleys, but I suppose it was no big deal. I oddly enough I liked Wrath's assault on Roy better than the manga version. Roy and Riza's expressions were fabulous. Royai = WIN. Miki-san is quite awesome, even that high-pitched scream of his was almost heart-wrenching... And as for Roy's toll, I'm wondering what the non-manga readers' reaction would be, as obviously, there was no shock factor for me.

Wrath vs. Scar was cool but the staredown was quite awkward, I think it would have been better to take that out...

Wow, they're going to have to cram in the last 4 episodes O.O
Old 2010-05-30, 12:36   Link #3
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Noticeably rushed, but with what they need to cover in the few episodes left you can't blame 'em.
Old 2010-05-30, 15:52   Link #4
Serpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
Noticeably rushed, but with what they need to cover in the few episodes left you can't blame 'em.
Honestly, I didn't think so at all. They did almost everything panel-by-panel and even added some dialogue for Ed and Pride. On the contrary, I found the pace to be pretty ideal, as opposed to the last few episodes that were painfully drawn-out. I fear for the next two episodes though.
Old 2010-05-30, 22:59   Link #5
JiffyGB
*snicker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
And as for Roy's toll, I'm wondering what the non-manga readers' reaction would be, as obviously, there was no shock factor for me.
From what people sounded like these past couple weeks, I was actually bracing myself for his death...so I'm almost relieved. Almost.
Old 2010-05-30, 23:24   Link #6
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpit View Post
Honestly, I didn't think so at all. They did almost everything panel-by-panel and even added some dialogue for Ed and Pride. On the contrary, I found the pace to be pretty ideal, as opposed to the last few episodes that were painfully drawn-out. I fear for the next two episodes though.
Exactly. The last two episodes might as well have been one, but this one had the perfect pacing.

But yes, unfortunately it was probably be the last one where we can make such a claim as from now on, with only 4 episodes left and 6 longass chapters to cover, it should be quite hard for it not to seem rushed.

But as I said, no complaints with this episode (minus a few nitpicks), which was a truly fantastic one. Easily the best one since the Roy vs Envy episodes if you ask me.

Miki's screams do tend to be rather high-pitched, but they're usually epic and heartfelt nonetheless, and this episode's was no exception.

As for those nitpicks, Wrath vs Scar's staredown was indeed awkward as hell, but thankfully it ended in a fittingly exciting and intense manner.

The other would be the final scene with Al. While it was quite poignant like in the manga, I wish they would have kept the BGM that was initially playing throughout the entirety of the scene, and hadn't cut it off once he grabbed his body's arm. Cause it was a really moving and fitting song.
Old 2010-05-31, 00:00   Link #7
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
1. Guys, did you see that Pride strikes back & kills Evil Dr Goldtooth? What is that all about? he's doesn't gave a damn till he kills his own ally since Gluttony & Kimblee!

2. Roy's gone blind! Pride & Wrath, what have you done?!
Old 2010-05-31, 00:02   Link #8
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

there is always riza's dog to help roy in everyday life...

hmm... roy wearing sun glasses with a dog by his side...
Old 2010-05-31, 00:35   Link #9
Vicious108

So how long till people starting shipping Riza x Darius after that eyecatch? Cause it was rather unintentionally funny how right after Mustang goes blind we have an eyecatch of Riza being held in another man's arms.
Old 2010-05-31, 00:51   Link #10
klare

every important char is here and the final stage is set, i like the part about Alphonse's inner struggle

now Scar vs King Brad...
Old 2010-05-31, 02:18   Link #11
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
every important char is here and the final stage is set, i like the part about Alphonse's inner struggle

now Scar vs King Brad...
A half dead King Bradley, nonetheless!
Old 2010-05-31, 04:19   Link #12
azsxdc

Send a message via MSN to azsxdc
There's something I don't quite get though... Father mentioned 'five' sacrifices, but I only counted four! Are we anime-watchers not SUPPOSED to know what he means yet?
Old 2010-05-31, 04:23   Link #13
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsxdc View Post
There's something I don't quite get though... Father mentioned 'five' sacrifices, but I only counted four! Are we anime-watchers not SUPPOSED to know what he means yet?
Aren't you forgetting Hohenheim?
Old 2010-05-31, 07:22   Link #14
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
So how long till people starting shipping Riza x Darius after that eyecatch?
Yeah that made me laugh quite a bit. Poor Roy.

Seriously loved the new piece of music used for when Al met up with his body. Full of despair, which was needed for that scene.
Old 2010-05-31, 09:07   Link #15
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Seriously loved the new piece of music used for when Al met up with his body. Full of despair, which was needed for that scene.
Yeah, that reminded me of how badly I want another OST release.

I didn't really catch the Riza x Darius thing Guess, I'm too biased towards Royai.
But yeah poor Roy, not only his eyesight, his girl gets taken, too?

Great episode. I went throught the same emotions when reading the manga.

First: Awwww
Then: Noooooo D:
Lastly: Alphonse you're way too awesome! >_<

They used Truth's lines really well in the end, led up great to Father's 'happy' "They're all here!".

I found it a little weird that Roy didn't dash for the philosopher's stone first, like he did in the manga. That would be the move to try and save Hawkeye after all. But I can see why they cut that out.
Old 2010-05-31, 09:16   Link #16
kitten320

By Riza x Darius they mean those two commercial pics which are always in the middle of episode when saying "Fullmetal Alchemist" in english.

Bradley and Pride are probably the most scary combination, they would be almost undefietable. I mean Bradley and Pride themselves can take on bunch of people, but combined?
Almost uninvincible Bradley would become litterally untouchable with Pride's shadows.

Also to those who were complaining about Roy not being able to burn down mini Bradleys... just look how easily the real thing had doged it and he already doesn't have much left.

Anyway liked the episode, espacialy the Royai moment when Roy was holding her so lovingly. And of course Bradley's aweasomnes

Can't wait for the rest!
And poor roy, he probably got it worse out of all. At least hands and legs can be replaced in this world but not sigh.
Old 2010-05-31, 09:43   Link #17
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Yeah, I noticed the eye catch, but I didn't think anything more of it than 'pretty' It is a amusing how he carries her around the whole time, though.

I actually think Al had it the worst. He can't feel or eat and sleep like a human. I find it pretty horrible to feel like a human, but not be able to live like one. Everyone got harsh punishments imo .. Ed's only doesn't seem so bad since he had Winry making him replacements. But he did lose his brother orignally, too.
Old 2010-05-31, 17:14   Link #18
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Yeah, I noticed the eye catch, but I didn't think anything more of it than 'pretty' It is a amusing how he carries her around the whole time, though.

I actually think Al had it the worst. He can't feel or eat and sleep like a human. I find it pretty horrible to feel like a human, but not be able to live like one. Everyone got harsh punishments imo .. Ed's only doesn't seem so bad since he had Winry making him replacements. But he did lose his brother orignally, too.
Yeah, Ed got it the easiest out of everyone, by far. Hohenheim lost his humanity and his entire society, and nearly his sanity, and it took him hundreds of years before he finally got it together enough to try to (at first, in his mind) "play" at having a family (it got a lot better once he had kids). Izumi got constant pain and illness and the inability to ever have children, which, considering what she tried to go through to get her first failed attempt back, was very important to her. And we've already gone well into detail on how much Roy and Al were screwed over... But Ed? Yeah, he got some immediate and recurring pain out of it, but it was physically overcome, and arguably improved upon, by the automail, and he got a hawt automail tech in the deal as well... ^_^
Old 2010-05-31, 17:40   Link #19
ChronoReverse

Technically he lost Alphonse altogether along with one of his limbs.

You have to remember he sacrificed a second limb just to get Alphonse's soul back.

Would it have been worse to have simply died or is it worse to survive maimed knowing you failed to bring back your mother AND killed your only brother?
Old 2010-05-31, 20:44   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Al got the worst deal of all, as well. It serves his function as the martyr of the series - the one truly altruistic character among the main bunch. Even Mai has her selfish agendas, but Al has always been the one who defers to "doing the right thing", often at his own expense. He's the unsung character of this story and it's the image of his wan, emaciated form staring sadly back from the gate that I find the most haunting image in the series.

Man, what an amazing run of episodes. I can hardly imagine what the conclusion is going to be like.
Closed Thread